inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Old movies, documentarie (60s and early 70s) that show footage of shopping malls

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/08/06 at 2:27 am

I've watched many old movies in the 60s and early 70s, and its surprising how many of them NOT SET IN THE PERIOD THEY WERE MADE Think about it for awhile and you'll understand what I mean. I'm interested in the cultural landscape of progressive eras, and I find the 60s and 70s endlessly fascinating. After I was turned onto the mallsofamerica website http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com I furthered my interest in vintage shopping mall design. Kudos for Keith for all the good work. Anyway, its been great looking at old photos of old shopping malls that I would've liked to visit, but there is precious little footage of these malls. I think I may have posted this, but I can't remember, and well, new input is always good. Dawn of the Dead is one of the few examples I can think of. The obscure (for non-Australians) but cult movie 'The F.J. Holden' has some interior shots of a shopping centre circa 1976. I can send you a short clip from that film if anyone is interested. Anyway, thnx for your input.

Subject: Re: Old movies, documentarie (60s and early 70s) that show footage of shopping malls

Written By: Tia on 02/08/06 at 4:36 am

there's a short called "progress island usa" that shows a shopping mall in puerto rico circa early 70s. (it's on a mystery science theater along with a movie called "beast of yucca flats" -- it shows a store called "groovy's"! doesn't get much more seventies than that.)

"carnival of souls" has a great extended department store scene. it's 1960, though.

have you ever been to deadmalls.com? it's my favorite mall web site.

Subject: Re: Old movies, documentarie (60s and early 70s) that show footage of shopping malls

Written By: NozmoKing on 02/08/06 at 8:29 pm

Hmmmm...  was "Dawn of the Dead" late 70s?    A lot of it was filmed AT Monroeville Mall near Pittsburgh, PA and not far from me.

NozmoKing

Written By: Tia on 02/08/06 at 8:40 pm

dawn of the dead was 1979. there was some made-for-t.v. movie from the 70s that was set in houston, there was a bunch of stuff shot in the galleria. which was famous back in those days, i think it was the largest mall in the world until edmonston and mall of america came along. i dunno what the name of it is but maybe searching for "galleria" on imdb might yield something. also i imagine imdb searches for "mall" might find something. sometimes the brute force approach is the best.

oh! there was night of the comet, too. i guess that was actually early 80s. that's got lots of mall stuff.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/09/06 at 10:02 am

thnx for the reply, I did a search for 'malls' in imdb, but most of the results were 80s, 90s, 00s. I'll pbly check out Fast Times and Ridgemount High and a few others...though they'll probably end of being crappy movies.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...