inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Heckle & Jeckle: The Talking Magpies

Written By: woops on 02/11/06 at 11:17 pm

One of the many classic cartoon characters that are hardly shown on tv anymore and should be released on DVD...

Does anybody remember Heckle & Jeckle, the Talking Magpies?

Though I vaguely remember since they were last shown on tv, along with other Terrytoons like Deputy Dawg & Mighty Mouse, in the early '90's on USA. Besides USA, I've seen the funny prototypical "Heckle & Jeckle" cartoon "The Talking Magpies" on several public domain tapes/DVDs, which were a bit different than the magpies we're familiar with. Also "Wolf Wolf", a '40's Mighty Mouse short.

Recently found a rare video tape that featured three late '40's "Heckle & Jeckle" cartoons with several Terrytoon characters like Deputy Dawg (also  remember seeing on USA) and Sidney the Elephant, which are great... though several were hit & miss like Astronut, which I found very corny.

Heckle & Jeckle are just as funny like those from Warner Bros. (Bugs & Daffy), though deserve to be on DVD. along with other classic cartoon characters that are hardly known today.

Subject: Re: Heckle & Jeckle: The Talking Magpies

Written By: whistledog on 02/11/06 at 11:29 pm

I used to watch Heckle and Jeckle cartoons, but I haven't seen one in many many years.  I actually have two stuffed Heckle and Jeckles.  Bought them at Goodwill years ago

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/06 at 2:56 pm

Yes, as Whistle pointed out, they used to be a regular part of your UHF morning cartoon line-up.  IMDb lists "The Heckle and Jeckle" series (aka "The Talking Magpies) as running from 1956--1971, an extrordinarily long run for a single cartoon series ("The Simpsons," anyone?).  The entire series was apparently directed by prolific animator Mannie Davis with cartoon writer/voice actor Tom Morrison in charge of the stories. 

http://imdb.com/title/tt0220902/

The Talking Magpies re-appeared under different authorship in the series "The New Adventures of Might Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle" (1979-1982), with animator Edward Bell and with Fred Welker as the voice of H&J.  IMDb also credits an eight-episode H&J stint in 1986, which was apparently an English language program made in Brazil (!). 

However, as UHF petered-out as a broadcasting force when cable  became universal, your funky local UHF stations with low operating budgets and zillions of old cartoon reels went extinct.  Anyone over thirty from the Boston vicinity remembers WLVI, Channel 56.  Then there was channel 11 in New York (11 Alive!).  Pick your market, there was a UHF station running those old cartoons as late as the late 1980s, but no more!

I think the Cartoon Network might do well to found a Cartoon Network II: Animation Classics.  CN has pretty much abandoned the old stuff for the new stuff, but there is 100 years worth of the old stuff which millions would enjoy watching, and introducing new generations to.

http://www.comicscartoons.hpg.ig.com.br/encicl/faiscafumaca01.gif

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/12/06 at 11:52 pm

They're owned by Viacom, which unfortunately don't care about Terrytoons...

There's "Boomerang", a sister channel owned by Turner (also own Cartoon Network)... though they recently got rid of Looney Tunes  >:(

http://www.toonopedia.com/hekljekl.htm

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/13/06 at 12:13 am

8) I just remember reading them as Comics in the late 70s..when I was reading MAD magazine..and..The Archis comics..lol

Written By: kairi747 on 02/13/06 at 8:25 am

on disney's brandy and mr whiskers, they have a pair of magpies named cheryl and meryl.  i wonder where they got that idea from?   ???

Written By: woops on 03/21/06 at 8:18 pm

bump

From most Terrytoons I've seen (and remember, though I have a rare video tape), Heckle & Jeckle were probably the only good cartoon

Though maybe the '80's Mighty Mouse from Raph Bashki ("Fritz the Cat"), though was too young to remember

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/06 at 2:57 pm

I think I have a couple of the cartoons on VHS.

Cat

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 8:06 am

Yes, as Whistle pointed out, they used to be a regular part of your UHF morning cartoon line-up.  IMDb lists "The Heckle and Jeckle" series (aka "The Talking Magpies) as running from 1956--1971, an extrordinarily long run for a single cartoon series ("The Simpsons," anyone?).  The entire series was apparently directed by prolific animator Mannie Davis with cartoon writer/voice actor Tom Morrison in charge of the stories.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0220902/

The Talking Magpies re-appeared under different authorship in the series "The New Adventures of Might Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle" (1979-1982), with animator Edward Bell and with Fred Welker as the voice of H&J.  IMDb also credits an eight-episode H&J stint in 1986, which was apparently an English language program made in Brazil (!). 

However, as UHF petered-out as a broadcasting force when cable  became universal, your funky local UHF stations with low operating budgets and zillions of old cartoon reels went extinct.  Anyone over thirty from the Boston vicinity remembers WLVI, Channel 56.  Then there was channel 11 in New York (11 Alive!).  Pick your market, there was a UHF station running those old cartoons as late as the late 1980s, but no more!

I think the Cartoon Network might do well to found a Cartoon Network II: Animation Classics.  CN has pretty much abandoned the old stuff for the new stuff, but there is 100 years worth of the old stuff which millions would enjoy watching, and introducing new generations to.

http://www.comicscartoons.hpg.ig.com.br/encicl/faiscafumaca01.gif

They look like the talking crows in the Disney film, "Dumbo." Any relation?

Written By: kydolphin34 on 04/01/06 at 8:36 am

I actually had a "Heckle and Jeckle" talking telephone when I was little, around 1 1/2 or 2, I have a picture of my dad giving it to me at Christmas.  I was born in 67.

I have been looking and looking for one of these phones for almost a year, I have an 18 month old that I wish I had the phone for.

Anybody know where I can find one??

Rhonda

Written By: joe wilson on 07/25/06 at 6:10 pm

One of the many classic cartoon characters that are hardly shown on tv anymore and should be released on DVD...

Does anybody remember Heckle & Jeckle, the Talking Magpies?

Though I vaguely remember since they were last shown on tv, along with other cartoons like Deputy Dawg & Mighty Mouse, in the early '90's on USA. Besides USA, I've seen the funny prototypical "Heckle & Jeckle" cartoon "The Talking Magpies" on several public domain tapes/DVDs, which were a bit different than the magpies we're familiar with. Also "Wolf Wolf", a '40's Mighty Mouse short.

Recently found a rare video tape that featured three late '40's "Heckle & Jeckle" cartoons with several cartoon characters like Deputy Dawg (also  remember seeing on USA) and Sidney the Elephant, which are great... though several were hit & miss like Astronut, which I found very corny.

Heckle & Jeckle are just as funny like those from Warner Bros. (Bugs & Daffy), though deserve to be on DVD. along with other classic cartoon characters that are hardly known today.

i was just looking on ebay at the heckle and jeckle stuff and they have 2 dvd that has The Talking Magpies

Happy Go Lucky
Taming the Cat
Out Again, In Again
Goony Golfers
The Lion hunt
Deep Sea Doodle
Wild Life
The Fox Hunt
Dancing Shoes
Movie Madness
The Stowaways
Bulldozing the Bull
Stunt Men
Moose on the Loose
Trapeze Please
Cat Trouble
Fishing by the Sea
Mint Men
Steeple Jacks
McDougal's Rest Farm
The Super Salesman
A Sleepless Night
Miami Maniacs
Hair Cut-Ups
The Intruders
Bargain Daze
Sappy New Year
Flying South
The Uninvited Pests
Blind Date
The Rival Romeos
Blue Plate Symphony
Off to the Opera
King Tut's Tomb
Messed Up Movie Makers
Sno' Fun
A Merry Chase
Free Entertainment
Pill Peddlers
The Hitch Hikers
Hula Hula Land
Ten Pin Terrors

COMPLETE 43 EPISODE SERIES 2 DVD SEALED  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...