inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your thoughts on Bob Dylan

Written By: Carl on 02/16/06 at 12:54 pm

Now I happen to like his stuff, I know he can't sing a lick, though his nasaly sound is quite entertaining. I consider him more of a poet with rythym. If you hear some real REAL early stuff, he actually sounds good. I know he took so much heat for going from folk to 'electric'(forget what venue he was booed at for this) His sound over the years has changed from time to time, experimenting with different things, but I still give him credit to still be going at 60+.

Subject: Re: Your thoughts on Bob Dylan

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/16/06 at 1:00 pm

Some of his songs are indeed very entertaining...("Everybody Must Get Stoned" and "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" are two that come to mind)...

While I'm not a big fan of his, I do really like "Lay Lady Lay" (from 1969)... :)

Written By: Carl on 02/16/06 at 1:11 pm

As controversial as it can be, I will always like 'Mr. Tambourine Man'

'Lay Lady Lay' has a country sound to it, I never knew that was him performing it after hearing it on the radio so long.

Written By: KKay on 02/16/06 at 1:18 pm

He's a great american artist who influenced the entire music landscape...i appreciate that.
I can't listen to him for 3 seconds. yuck.

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/06 at 1:50 pm

My thoughts on Bob Dylan are "tgeg dgrewg esdf dsfew eawf sdfew szdr sdf ddahre awr" (that's just like how he sings LOL)

Honestly though, the only Bob Dylan song I know by title is "Gotta Serve Somebody" which was a top 40 hit in 1979

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/16/06 at 1:55 pm

I like Bob Dylan, although sometimes his voice can get a little grating. 

My favorite song has got to be Lay Lady Lay.

Written By: Apricot on 02/16/06 at 2:35 pm

"Mr. Jones" is a great song.... I personally like his voice on that song.. otherwise, it does get a bit annoying.

He's aight be me, though.

Written By: schmartypantz on 02/16/06 at 11:12 pm

I believe Dylan to be one of the true greats of our time.

...("Everybody Must Get Stoned" and "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" are two that come to mind)...

I believe those are the same song :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/17/06 at 3:05 am

"Mr. Jones" is a great song....

I think you mean, 'Ballad of a Thin Man.' Anyway, my appreciation of Dylan has grown somewhat over the years (well maybe the past year), though (as many agree) my appreciation for my voice hasn't, though musically he was a bit of a *hack* (a self-confessed one at that), his songs really got through to you. 'Like a Rolling Stone' or 'Hurricane' are still my favourite Dylan songs.

Written By: holicman on 02/17/06 at 5:52 am

Bbo Dylan is the most covered artist of all time.

He has had more of his songs covered than any other musician.

I think he is good.

I couldnt pick my favourite song,  but the lyric i have in my head now is an early Dylan song.

"Johnny's in the basement mixing up the medicine"
"im on the pavement voting for the government."

Thats it !

Subterranean Homesick Blues.

:D

Written By: gord on 02/17/06 at 6:27 am

"Johnny's in the basement mixing up the medicine"
"im on the pavement voting for the government."

Thats it !

Subterranean Homesick Blues.

:D

there's an old video to this song, fun to watch.

I've got alot of respect for Dylan, his album 'Blood On The Tracks' from the 70s is a favorite, I've got a newer album of his called 'Time Out Of Mind' from the 90s, and I can't seem to get into it.

Written By: holicman on 02/17/06 at 6:57 am

Thats the one where he is flicking the cards as the words come up to what he is singing yeah ???

I have seen that a few times !

Its cool  LOL !

Written By: Carl on 02/17/06 at 7:48 am

Thats the one where he is flicking the cards as the words come up to what he is singing yeah

INXS copied this in their extended version of the 'I need you tonight' video in '89. They had the Dylan influence too.

'Tight connection to my heart' was a good song back in '85. Dylan has proved successful in all decades.

Written By: gord on 02/17/06 at 9:29 am

Thats the one where he is flicking the cards as the words come up to what he is singing yeah ???

I have seen that a few times !

Its cool  LOL !

that's the one, I think it was in black & white only. It was just a little before 'video killed the radio star' :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/17/06 at 10:15 am

I believe those are the same song :)

You're right...I was thinking 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' and for some reason I couldn't get parts of that other song out of my head... :-[

Written By: Tia on 02/17/06 at 10:24 am

i know he's a great artist and all. i pretty much have no interest in listening to him, though.

i saw him open for the grateful dead once in the 80s. i had no idea he was so purple, tall, undulating, misshapen, surrounded by a blazing kaleidoscope of multicolored lights and covered in a light sheen of soft, downy fur.

Written By: Carl on 02/17/06 at 10:37 am

i saw him open for the grateful dead once in the 80s. i had no idea he was so purple, tall, undulating, misshapen, surrounded by a blazing kaleidoscope of multicolored lights and covered in a light sheen of soft, downy fur.

That's Bob for you, qute eccentric, among other things.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/17/06 at 12:00 pm

I'm not a big Dylan fan, although I like a few of his songs when other people are singing them.  I like The Mighty Quinn by Manfred Mann alot. :)

Written By: Carl on 02/17/06 at 12:24 pm

I'm not a big Dylan fan, although I like a few of his songs when other people are singing them.

I'll admit, other artist's versions of his songs DO sound better. 'Mighty Quinn' by Manfred Mann is a favorite of mine too.

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/06 at 2:32 pm

I think you mean, 'Ballad of a Thin Man.'

Oh yeah.. I have this tendency to call it "Mr. Jones".. that's what the file I downloaded was called.. my bad.

Written By: gmann on 02/18/06 at 11:38 am

When I was younger, I couldn't understand the public adoration of Dylan. Now, I think I know why there was always so much noise made about his work. Simply put, his lyrics are what what him significant. Yeah, his voice *can* be a little annoying, but I can overlook that if he's in his poetic phase...which is most days, I suppose.  :)

I don't think it's a secret why others have had so much success covering his songs. They're just plain good. Maybe his approach in the studio rubs people the wrong way, but in the hands of others, his words speak for themselves. That's all.

Check for new replies or respond here...