inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Neil Young

Written By: Carl on 02/17/06 at 9:21 am

He's another I'd like your thoughts on. I plan on getting his new CD, I believe it's called 'Prarie Wind'. Like Dylan, I love the way he can play the guitar and harmonica at the same time. I like songs like 'Old Man', 'Heart of Gold' and 'Wonderin', just to name a few.

Unfortunately, a lot of his music has taken same harsh criticism over the years. Honestly, I don't know what he was thinking when he released his 'Trans' LP, and that whole computerized voice singing, so not his style. He was always the best at regular rock/folk music.

Some joke a lot about him callign him Neil NOT SO Young, but it's good to see him keep rocking into his 60s. He has a movie coming out called 'Heart of Gold'. I assume it will be about his touring on the road, looks interesting.

Subject: Re: Neil Young

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/06 at 10:06 pm

I'm a fan of the Heart of Gold era you spoke of, and would definitely be interested in that movie and will google for more info. Not a fan of the new stuff, I like the old sh*t. I enjoy his simple harmonica sound and Heart of Gold is one of those easy to play on the mouth harp.

Written By: whistledog on 02/17/06 at 10:40 pm

My favourite Neil Young song will always be 1988's American Dream, which was technically a CSNY hit, but Neil sang lead so it counts 8)

Written By: gord on 02/17/06 at 11:07 pm

I read the story of how Neil got to LA, in 1966 he drove a pontiac hearse from Ontario Canada and hooked up with Stephen Stills in a traffic jam on sunset boulevard, the rest is history.

I like his early stuff, after the 80s I've lost touch.

Written By: whistledog on 02/17/06 at 11:09 pm

I read the story of how Neil got to LA, in 1966 he drove a pontiac hearse from Ontario Canada and hooked up with Stephen Stills in a traffic jam on sunset boulevard, the rest is history.

I like his early stuff, after the 80s I've lost touch.

Not even Harvest Moon in 1992?  Alot of people thought that song took Neil back to his 70's style

Written By: gord on 02/17/06 at 11:21 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Carl on 02/19/06 at 5:46 pm

I wonder if he does 'Old Man' live anymore.. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/06 at 6:52 pm

I know the song well and it's good but I don't know much else from the album :)

I don't really know much from that album either.  Harvest Moon was such a big hit, I think if any other hits came from it, they were squashed by the popularity of Harvest Moon ;D

Written By: zotsfreak on 02/20/06 at 11:20 am

I'm a fan of the Heart of Gold era you spoke of, and would definitely be interested in that movie and will google for more info. Not a fan of the new stuff, I like the old sh*t.

Yep, Yep, and Yep!! I never tire of this era.... some truly just plain beautiful songs are from here. Personal favorite of all time: Sugar Mountain, followed closely by Old Man and Heart of Gold (also my favorite Kareoke song)

Written By: Gaylon on 02/20/06 at 11:39 am

If you ever get the chance (or the time - its about 750 pages long) read SHAKEY by Jimmy McDonough.
It's a very indepth look at Neil in all his glory and all his faults.

Written By: schmartypantz on 02/27/06 at 10:53 am

Prairie Wind is a GREAT album. IMO, it's his best in years.
"He Was the King" makes this cd worth the price. :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/04/06 at 2:39 am

For me, you can't go past "Harvest" (as opposed to Harvest Moon) - one of my favourite albums  :)

Written By: whistledog on 03/05/06 at 2:46 am

I also loved his 1983 hit "Wonderin" which he performed as Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks.  It was like a doo-wop style song.  I loved it 8)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/05/06 at 2:49 am

I like "The Damage Done", I like "Cinnamon Girl", and I like what he did with Crosby, Stills and Nash.  '

I have to admit I'm not more familiar with his material than that, so I can't speak on anything else.

Check for new replies or respond here...