inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Moments of the Ed Sullivan Show

Written By: star500 on 02/21/06 at 12:13 pm

What is everyone's best moments of the Ed Sullivan show? I wasn't born when the show was on but my mom told me about it and she told me that she thought the best moment of the show was when the Beatles came on in 1964.

Subject: Re: Best Moments of the Ed Sullivan Show

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/23/06 at 5:49 am

Undoubtedly when the Doors were on and Jim Morrison. Ed Sullivan told him not to say 'higher' on TV but Morrison said it anyway. Just wish they left the camera rolling afterwards to see Ed's reaction.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/24/06 at 1:29 am

We were glued to the set as kids and watched as The Beatles were introduced and let's just say everyone was ecstatic.
I remember Mason Williams perform Classical Gas with an orchestra, it was awesome
but the main memories are of The Beatles in 1964, and 1965. totally exciting
Anyone that watched regularly will remember the little puppet mouse Topo Gigio
and Bill Dana as Jose Jimenez, a funny guy.

Written By: schmartypantz on 02/27/06 at 10:50 am

The Beatles and then the Stones.

Written By: Carl on 03/03/06 at 3:22 pm

I've seen clips of the show with the Stones, The Temptations, and The Beatles and they were all very good!

Also, I have a tape 'Muppets Magic' which features the first acts of the muppets on Sullivan. This is the debut of the muppets before Sesame Street and the Muppet Show. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it is worth getting.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/03/06 at 4:47 pm

I wasn't alive when Ed Sullivan was on the air, but I have seen many performances from that show and my top 3 are The Beatles , Elvis and The Doors.

Written By: hot_wax on 03/03/06 at 9:42 pm

There's to many to remember, there where thousands acts and special people on his show over the twenty or so years he was on TV.

Elvis Presley when he was cool, the Beatles, Stones and all of the English bands made it on his show, to many to remember, but I think everyone who was anyone was a guest on Ed's show he was the Icon of all the variety shows on the air at that time and it was a must to be invited on his show if they wanted their career to go on.

There is one act that runs across my mind every so often, I don't know the name of this tap dancer but Ed Sullivan had him on the show a few times, he would tap dance with one normal leg and one peg leg like a pirates peg leg and crutch and would dance by himself, jump up and down and go into a spread Eagle balancing on his peg, he was really good, but being the stupid kids that we were then, it was the funniest sight we'd ever seen in laugh our fool asses off when he'd come on, I'm sorry now about it, it wasn't a nice thing to do, but then we couldn't catch our breathes from laughing so hard at him dancing on one pirate leg... we scream out AARH! me maties, shimmer me timbers! walk, no, dance the plank! I'm sorry mister one leg dancer for making fun of you back then, you were really good and we were stupid kids.

Conrad Birdie ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/19/06 at 1:14 am

Undoubtedly when the Doors were on and Jim Morrison. Ed Sullivan told him not to say 'higher' on TV but Morrison said it anyway. Just wish they left the camera rolling afterwards to see Ed's reaction.  ;D

That's what I was going to say too!

But there is more to the story.  Backstage after the show Ed Sullivan told Morrison "you'll never play on the Ed Sullivan Show again!" and Morrison told him "we've already done the Ed Sullivan Show". ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/19/06 at 6:31 am

Yes, that's the bit I wish they had shown...Would've certainly got the ratings up. lol

Check for new replies or respond here...