inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Midnight Cowboy: Love it or loathe it?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/01/06 at 9:36 pm

Much has been said about the 1969 John Schlesinger directed film, 'Midnight Cowboy', starring John Voight and Dustin Hoffman. Being the first R-rated film, it attracted alot of attention. For me, it's a contradicting experience. I like it for the atmosphere it evokes, the sense of time, place and the connection to the seedier realms of society (particularly the poorer parts of New York), but in many ways the story is over-simplistic, archetypical and strangely unsatisfying. Any thoughts on the film?

Subject: Re: Midnight Cowboy: Love it or loathe it?

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/06 at 10:17 pm

IT's funny you mention this movie.  Not more than 5 minutes ago, I was thinking of the Nilsson song Everybody's Talkin'

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/06 at 10:25 pm

I love the movie.  I've seen it quite a few times, and I always get all teary eyed when Everybody's Talkin' starts playing.  I don't know why, maybe it's because it's a sad song; I don't know. 

Written By: Tia on 03/01/06 at 10:45 pm

midnight cowboy is unbelievably beautiful. it makes me cry like a lttle girl.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/01/06 at 11:46 pm

It does have that weird sense of pathos...we sort of feel a deep pity for the two main characters, cos their life seems so pointless, meaningless...like a figment of an existentialism dream. I think that was the mian point of the film. A sort of 'connection' in an unfriendly world.

Written By: Albert (member DaBukaba) on 03/02/06 at 1:11 am

Much has been said about the 1969 John Schlesinger directed film, 'Midnight Cowboy', starring John Voight and Dustin Hoffman. Being the first R-rated film, it attracted alot of attention. For me, it's a contradicting experience. I like it for the atmosphere it evokes, the sense of time, place and the connection to the seedier realms of society (particularly the poorer parts of New York), but in many ways the story is over-simplistic, archetypical and strangely unsatisfying. Any thoughts on the film?

Actually, back in 1969 it was rated X (and was very controversial).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/06 at 1:21 am

Actually, back in 1969 it was rated X (and was very controversial).

Yes, but that X rating in 1969 correlates to and later became our current day R rating.  Back in the 60s, they didn't have G, PG, PG-13, R and NC-17.  They had a different way of describing the content and all that X signified was adult content, and if you watch the movie, it's a lot tamer than most R rated films you see today. 

So theoreticially, it was the first R-rated film.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/06 at 2:00 am

Love, especially Dustin Hoffman and the music of the film.

Written By: zcrito on 03/02/06 at 5:54 pm

Yes, but that X rating in 1969 correlates to and later became our current day R rating.  Back in the 60s, they didn't have G, PG, PG-13, R and NC-17.  They had a different way of describing the content and all that X signified was adult content, and if you watch the movie, it's a lot tamer than most R rated films you see today. 

So theoreticially, it was the first R-rated film.

It was Jack Valenti who came up with our current movie rating system that's still close to what it was when it first came out back in 1968. They were originally:  G, M, R and X, where the M was replaced with GP and then PG.

"Yes, but that X rating in 1969 correlates to and later became our current day R rating."
It seems things have really deteriorated. There are probably some PG-13 movies nowadays that would have gotten an "X" rating back in the '60s.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/02/06 at 8:28 pm

It was Jack Valenti who came up with our current movie rating system that's still close to what it was when it first came out back in 1968. They were originally:  G, M, R and X, where the M was replaced with GP and then PG.

"Yes, but that X rating in 1969 correlates to and later became our current day R rating."
It seems things have really deteriorated. There are probably some PG-13 movies nowadays that would have gotten an "X" rating back in the '60s.

In what year did Jack Valenti decide that the X rating wasn't strong enough, so he had to come up with the XXX rating?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 1:25 am

People always claim that movies are 'much more violent' now than the 'golden days' of the 50s, 60s and 70s, but in many ways I have to disagree. I think the violence in those days was actually more realised, fight scenes less theatrical (if more staged) and the gore felt more real. It's not how much gore there is, but the context it is seen in. Taxi Driver, for example, only has violence right at the end, but in far more powerful than a modern 'R' rated movie like 'Fight Club', which was rated 'R' for 'Medium Level violence.' That was also something that got me. How some movies can be rated, 'R' because they contain 'Medium level violence' (and nothing else), while others with 'High Level Violence,' High Level Coarse language.etc are rated 'MA.' Kinda makes no sense...

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/03/06 at 9:10 pm

Something I've always wondered: If I'm correct, the rating system first came out in the late 60's also marked the end of the "code of decency" that Hollywood had imposed on itself for decades. So maybe someone can answer this for me: What was the first major studio release where someone dropped the "f-bomb?"

Written By: zcrito on 03/04/06 at 4:49 pm

Something I've always wondered: If I'm correct, the rating system first came out in the late 60's also marked the end of the "code of decency" that Hollywood had imposed on itself for decades. So maybe someone can answer this for me: What was the first major studio release where someone dropped the "f-bomb?"

I did a quick check on the ol' internet and it looks like the "honor" goes to...

1. "Ulysses", or
2. "I'll Never Forget What's'isname" (uttered by Marianne Faithfull no less)

Both came out in 1967.

But I'm sure other movies like

Peeping Tom (1960),
Lolita (1962),
Tom Jones (1963),
The Servant (1963),
Goldfinger (1964),
Blowup (1966),
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966),

which are some of the ones I can think of that probably got things going with their push on what was considered acceptable in a movie.

Did I miss any?
???

Written By: Tia on 03/04/06 at 4:51 pm

don't forget bonnie and clyde and the wild bunch, which were among the first movies to feature blood and gore in movies. unless you count HG lewis movies. which, you know, you should.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/04/06 at 5:22 pm

I sort of got the impression that it was deliberately over-simplistic and archetypical.  I somehow suspect that the "strangely unsatisfying" aspect was not part of the producers plan.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/06/06 at 4:11 am

While on the thread, what is your favourite scene from the movie?

Mine would be the Andy-Warholesque party scene. Sure it's boring, but it's trippy as, and I love the theme track, 'Old Man Willow,' by Elephants Memory. I like all the music in this movie. I think if it really excels in one field, it has to be the music...

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 1:22 am

I think I'll use one of my limited supply of bumps...

I think the thread deserves wider exposure... ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...