inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Song Battles

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 1:57 am

Don't know if this idea will catch on (typically self-defacing statement), but I'm going to start a song 'battle.' I.e. choose which of the two songs you prefer. I didn't put it in the Board games board because I wanted to do it by decade. You can add comments if you wish. First one...

'Purple Haze' - Jimi Hendrix Experience vs. 'Strange Brew' - Cream,

both 1967

Subject: Re: Song Battles

Written By: ADH13 on 03/03/06 at 2:02 am

Purple Haze. :)

I'm assuming this works like a board game, though?  And are they supposed to be choices from the same year?  If so...

House Of The Rising Sun by The Animals or Under The Boardwalk by The Drifters?

(Both 1964)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 2:05 am

Not initially, but now that you mention it (I was considering it)...perhaps. I was going more for similar types of songs. For the one's you mentioned, probably House of the Rising Sun...

I'll wait for a few more responses before posting a new compo. BTW, anyone can post a match-up if they want.

Written By: NozmoKing on 03/03/06 at 10:07 pm

Hard choice, but I will go with Strange Brew by Cream.

NozmoKing

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/07/06 at 7:04 pm

I gotta go with 'Purple Haze' - Jimi Hendrix Experience as much as I love Cream, Strange Brew not one of my favs so the choice was easy for me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/08/06 at 12:37 am

What did everyone think of Hendrixes' voice? Alot of people seem to think he can't sing, but I thought his voice was alright for the type of music he was singing (The guitar was the main focus anyway), and alot of rock singers of the era weren't exactly sopranos either.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/08/06 at 1:13 am

What did everyone think of Hendrixes' voice? Alot of people seem to think he can't sing, but I thought his voice was alright for the type of music he was singing (The guitar was the main focus anyway), and alot of rock singers of the era weren't exactly sopranos either.
he sang like he was stoned on Purple Haze  ;)  Of course he played guitar in a way that set him apart, truly dazzling at times. I liked his vocals, a really good blend of rock/soul/blues all melded into one. He sounded so comfortable when he sang, it was so smooth.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/08/06 at 8:50 am

He was seriously stoned 24/7...he was the Voodoo Child, the LSD Prophet (along with Jim Morrison). Though he sort of lacked the character of Arthur Lee of 'Love' (you should hear some of the stories about old Arthur Lee). The whole L.A. scene of the 60s was one big multi-coloured freak-show (wish I could've been there).

Check for new replies or respond here...