inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who here is in love with 60s psychadelia?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 2:04 am

I don't think I'd be a full on hippy, but I have to say I'm stuck in late 60s San Francisco. I often daydream of smoking pot at the love-ins in the park, taking LSD at the Monterey Pop Festival (pity it's not the drug of the 21st century), or even non-drug related pursuits. For those who didn't experience it, aren't the late 60s by far the best period of the 60s? Forget the Beatles and the 'British Invasion'. Give me Quiksilver Messenger Service, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, the Doors, even the Beach Boys, Frank Zappa, Love.etc.

Subject: Re: Who here is in love with 60s psychadelia?

Written By: zotsfreak on 03/03/06 at 1:32 pm

I don't think I'd be a full on hippy, but I have to say I'm stuck in late 60s San Francisco. I often daydream of smoking pot at the love-ins in the park, taking LSD at the Monterey Pop Festival (pity it's not the drug of the 21st century), or even non-drug related pursuits. For those who didn't experience it, aren't the late 60s by far the best period of the 60s? Forget the Beatles and the 'British Invasion'. Give me Quiksilver Messenger Service, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, the Doors, even the Beach Boys, Frank Zappa, Love.etc.

Lets not forget the very early careers in 1969 of my two favorites from this era: Captain Beefheart and Iggy Pop and the Stooges!!

Written By: NozmoKing on 03/03/06 at 10:04 pm

If you are into 60s psychedelic/undrground music, maybe you would like to check out a box set called NUGGETS. Its a four cd set covering bands from 65-68.A few of the bands included are, Chocolate Watch Band, The Vagrants, The Zakary Thaks, The Mystery Trend, as well as many others. Their is about 80 songs and also includes a few more popular bands like the Tyrtles, Strawberry Alarmclock, and The Amboy Dukes.

The cd set was released in 98 and is on the Rhino label. Im guessing it should be pretty easy to get yet. I also have the earlier version on LP.

NozmoKing

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/03/06 at 10:21 pm

If you are into 60s psychedelic/undrground music, maybe you would like to check out a box set called NUGGETS. Its a four cd set covering bands from 65-68.A few of the bands included are, Chocolate Watch Band, The Vagrants, The Zakary Thaks, The Mystery Trend, as well as many others. Their is about 80 songs and also includes a few more popular bands like the Tyrtles, Strawberry Alarmclock, and The Amboy Dukes.

The cd set was released in 98 and is on the Rhino label. Im guessing it should be pretty easy to get yet. I also have the earlier version on LP.

NozmoKing
I also have the Nuggets box set, and would like to second your recommendation. A lot of the earlier songs on the set (from 1965-'66) have a more punkish sound to them (esp. the Sonics, which was about as hardrock as it got during that era), and they were a direct influence on later bands like the Ramones. The later songs on the box set, from 1967-'68, definitely have more of a psychedelic theme to them, with more fuzz guitars, trippy sound effects, and obvious drug references in their lyrics. The Electric Prunes have a couple of really cool psychedelic tunes on there, and one of the best "nuggets" is a little-known song from 1966 called "Voices Green and Purple" by an LA-based group called the Bees. Groovy!  :)

Written By: Nostalgic on 03/04/06 at 8:39 am

I love the late '60s: '67 to '69. I always said that if I could travel back in time I would go back to the late '60s. I'd've been a hippie for sure.

Written By: Zella on 03/05/06 at 5:25 pm

Ahhhh pulsating amoebas... :)

The whole 60s thing just seems so trite and contrived now tho'... :(

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/06/06 at 1:15 am

If you really like the music from '60s psychedelic era, I'd like to recommend the album "Odessey and Oracle" by the Zombies. It's best remembered for the hit "Time Of The Season" but there's plenty of other great songs on that album.
  I also like a lot of the harder-edged music from that era, like the Stooges and the MC5.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/06/06 at 4:10 am

If you really like the music from '60s psychedelic era, I'd like to recommend the album "Odessey and Oracle" by the Zombies. It's best remembered for the hit "Time Of The Season" but there's plenty of other great songs on that album.
   I also like a lot of the harder-edged music from that era, like the Stooges and the MC5.

I've only heard a few Zombies tunes, but will check it out (didn't think they were really from the flower power era). I also like alot of the more obscure stuff, like compilations of British psychadelic songs.etc. Pink Floyd was barely the tip of a rich psychadelic movement.

Written By: karen on 03/07/06 at 9:06 am

I used to listen to a lot of psychedelic music and had friends who were into the whole scene of it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/08/06 at 12:38 am

I've always been interested in the relationship between drugs and music. I've never actually taken LSD or any hallucinogen, but I'm sort of curious as to how much the so called psychadelic music reproduces the sensation of 'tripping' and how taking LSD 'enhances' the listening experience of the music.

Written By: cables on 03/12/06 at 10:36 am

Lets not forget the very early careers in 1969 of my two favorites from this era: Captain Beefheart and Iggy Pop and the Stooges!!

I like some of the psychedelic stuff of the 60s (e.g. Itchycoo Park by The Small Faces) but I think Iggy peaked in 76/77 - The Idiot and Lust For Life are brilliant albums.

Check for new replies or respond here...