inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: help! really old songs

Written By: kyle on 03/05/06 at 11:41 pm

I own a 1937 for pickup.  I recently finished the sound system for it.  So I have this nice mp3 player, and I want to be able to play songs from the 30s/40's on it, that would have been popular then.... and the catch is they still have to be enjoyable songs to listen to ;P  I like everything but rap, so that shouldn't be TO difficult.

But I rounded up all my 40's music, and that ammounted to 7 songs.  So I'm in hopes that you folks can help me out, and help me compile a respectable sized song list for my truck!

So far, I'm not doing very well on my own :(.

Thanks for the help!

Subject: Re: help! really old songs

Written By: ADH13 on 03/05/06 at 11:44 pm

I don't know many 40's songs, but I believe Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, The Andrews Sisters and Fred Astaire may be a place to start.

Written By: kyle on 03/06/06 at 12:00 am

okay. will start there ;)  *plans trip to tower records tomorow*

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/06 at 12:48 am

how about Big Band stuff like Glen Miller?  You can never go wrong with "In the Mood" :)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/06/06 at 12:55 am

If you check out this site... http://ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/top40/index.html ... and click the years on the left (whichever you want) it will display a list of songs that were popular in each. That should be a good start.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/06/06 at 7:56 pm

I accidentally stumbled across a group from the 30's called The Memphis Jug Band.  They're blues, and might be more to your taste if you're not into the 'crooners'.

Written By: zotsfreak on 03/07/06 at 8:31 am

I own a 1937 for pickup.  I recently finished the sound system for it.  So I have this nice mp3 player, and I want to be able to play songs from the 30s/40's on it, that would have been popular then.... and the catch is they still have to be enjoyable songs to listen to ;P  I like everything but rap, so that shouldn't be TO difficult.

But I rounded up all my 40's music, and that ammounted to 7 songs.  So I'm in hopes that you folks can help me out, and help me compile a respectable sized song list for my truck!

So far, I'm not doing very well on my own :(.

Thanks for the help!

LOOK NO FURTHER!!
"Joe Bussard's Down In The Basement" is the ONLY choice for what you're looking for!! Joe is the worlds largest collector of 78's from this era and the title I mentioned is an awsome compilation of the roots of truley original American string band music. You can get it at Amazon.com. Also, cult comic book artist Robert Crumb has a string band too called Robert Crumb and His Cheap Suit Serenaders and their titles are available through Amazon also. Awesome stuff too, but they are cover versions, where as Joe Bussard has all original recordings dubbed from his collection of 78's. Send me a personal message if you have trouble finding these titles; I have alot of this type stuff in my collection.

Written By: gemini on 03/07/06 at 8:58 am

I know Big Band and Swing were pretty popular, so you might want to check out Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington. You should find quite alot from them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/07/06 at 11:21 am

Here is a list of songs that were #1 in 1937

http://ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/top1/by_year/1937.html

Personally, I like songs of the 40s better-like a few people have already mentioned, In the Mood, I'll Be Seeing You, and many other big band hits.

Cat

Written By: zotsfreak on 03/07/06 at 1:35 pm

I just remembered another great one that I have. Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music fame has a collection of these songs on a CD called "as Time Goes By" It's great! Here is the song list:
1. As Time Goes By
2. The Way You Look Tonight
3. Easy Living
4. I'm In The Mood For Love
5. Where Or When
6. When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful
7. Sweet And Lovely
8. Miss Otis Regrets (She's Unable To Have Lunch Today)
9. Time On My Hands
10. Lover Come Back To Me
11. Falling In Love Again
12. Love Me Or Leave Me
13. You Do Something To Me
14. Just One Of Those Things
15. September Song

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/09/06 at 8:21 pm

I know Big Band and Swing were pretty popular, so you might want to check out Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington. You should find quite alot from them.
Another thing that may help you find some cool music from that era is this: A few years back, Ken Burns made a documentary miniseries about the history of jazz. It was one of the coolest documentaries I'd ever seen, and it really opened up my eyes. I used to think of swing and big band music as being old men playing music from a bygone era for old people, but when I saw Ken Burns' Jazz, for the first time I saw them as they really were in their time: A bunch of cocky young men who were letting their horns do the talking, and it was awesome. Maybe your local library or video store has this series on DVD or VHS, and you may find it to be very informative and educational as well as entertaining.

Written By: karen on 03/10/06 at 5:14 am

Another good one is "Swing when you're winning" by Robbie Williams.  Not sure of the dates of the original songs.

Written By: jaytee on 03/10/06 at 6:54 am

Judy Garland
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holiday
The Soundtrack from The Singing Detective

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/11/06 at 11:08 pm

ah.. jazz... you might want to check out a jazz compilation.

Written By: kairi747 on 03/12/06 at 6:36 am

louis armstrong - what a wonderful world

Written By: kairi747 on 03/12/06 at 6:41 am

Blueberry Hill
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
Have I Told You lately That I Love You
I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire
Mairzy Doats
Oh What a Beautiful Morin'
Oklahoma
People Will Say We're In Love
Red Roses for a Blue Lady
Surrey With the Fringe On Top
Swinging On a Star
When You Wish Upon a Star
You'll Never Walk Alone

Written By: NozmoKing on 03/13/06 at 10:05 pm

How about some piano jazz such as "Fats Waller" or "Jelly Roll Morton" late 20s to early 40s. You also had swing and big band "Glenn Miller" " Tomy Dorsey" or maybe some blues like "Lead Belly" or "Howlin Wolf" or "Charlie Christen"...

try www.wmkvfm.org

Hope that helps a little.

NozmoKing

Check for new replies or respond here...