inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: L.A. versus San Francisco

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/08/06 at 8:53 am

The Doors vs The Jefferson Airplane
The Byrds vs The Grateful Dead
Love, The Turtles, Buffalo Springfield, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Janis Joplin

Country Rock vs Psychadelia

Which scene would you rather have been part of? To me, it's a toughie, San Francisco is pretty overrated (though I'd still rather be there) but reading about some of the things that went on in L.A. (L.A. Lore) really sparked my interest. Especially the infamous residents of 'The Canyon.' They would have been heady times indeed.

Subject: Re: L.A. versus San Francisco

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/08/06 at 12:24 pm

San Francisco would have my vote...and as it happened my family was living there in the late-60's during the Summer of Love, Haight/Ashbury and Psychedelia times (though I was barely a tot then)... :)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/08/06 at 3:18 pm

San Francisco for me.  LA is so overdone, to much b*ll s*cking involved, it was, and is a town where everyone spends to much time
checking the mirror and the people next door, trying to deny what they see, no matter how good or how bad.

Written By: gmann on 03/10/06 at 7:33 am

People can say what they want about the shallow nature of L.A., but that town produced some great bands. Love is probably one of its best unsung groups. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/12/06 at 6:40 pm

L.A.

I live here now and I love the rock history of it all.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/13/06 at 7:38 am

L.A. is still the mythological heartland of 20th Century America (and consequently the world), and while SF is known for its burgeoning music scene, it was in L.A. that many of the popular acts rose to stardom. After all, two of my favourite bands - the Beach Boys and the Doors - hailed from the City of Angels. But overall, it's almost impossible to decide.

Check for new replies or respond here...