inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Glen Campbell - The 60's

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/06 at 2:18 am

I like Wichita Lineman the best :)

Subject: Re: Glen Campbell - The 60's

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/10/06 at 2:31 am

I've always loved the song Galveston. 

Written By: jaytee on 03/10/06 at 6:52 am

I've always loved the song Galveston. 

Me too - it makes me cry  :-[

Written By: gmann on 03/10/06 at 7:31 am

Glen Campbell had a helluva good songwriter in Jimmy Webb, but recognized the talents of others, too. "Wichita Lineman" has wonderful production and lyrics, as does "Gentle On My Mind". I voted for the latter, but I like a lot of his stuff.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/10/06 at 8:09 am

There were two that really stood out on this list - "Gentle on My Mind" and "Try a Little Kindness." I voted for the latter, but I quite enjoy both tracks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/10/06 at 1:02 pm

I guess I will have to say Galviston. Don't ask me why.  :-\\

He did a great acting job in the movie True Grit (much better than some singers trying to act  ::) ). If you have never seen the movie, I recommend it.

Cat

Written By: TheRemf on 03/10/06 at 1:24 pm

All of these were good - I always liked "Try A Little Kindness"  That's how I voted.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/06 at 1:44 pm

Like them all, but voted for 1968 - Wichita Lineman

Written By: Paul on 03/10/06 at 3:09 pm

As I mentioned elsewhere, the trio of excellent Jimmy Webb songs...

'Wichita Lineman' being the best...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/10/06 at 3:19 pm

1969 - Galveston

Written By: gemini on 03/10/06 at 5:47 pm

I love Galveston. When it came out, I was only 8 and didn't really know what it was about, then when I got older and really listened to the lyrics I realized how sad it was, about a man going off to war in Vietnam.  :(

Written By: mandamoo on 03/10/06 at 5:49 pm

Try A Little Kindness

Written By: gmann on 03/11/06 at 1:08 pm

I love Galveston. When it came out, I was only 8 and didn't really know what it was about, then when I got older and really listened to the lyrics I realized how sad it was, about a man going off to war in Vietnam.   :(

:o Is that what it's about? Hmm. I've always understood it to be a more general lament by a person that's far from home, but now that you mention it the "clean my gun" bit does make more sense in that light.  That's the beauty of songwriting...there are so many way to interpret lyrics, unless something is clearly spelled out for you.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/11/06 at 1:21 pm

Had to really think on this one, because I like "Galveston" so much, but I had to go with "Wichita Lineman."
I love Galveston. When it came out, I was only 8 and didn't really know what it was about, then when I got older and really listened to the lyrics I realized how sad it was, about a man going off to war in Vietnam.   :(
Hmm...did not know that. I guess I just always assumed it had something to do with the hurricane that wiped out Galveston in 1900. Very interesting.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/11/06 at 1:28 pm

I chose 'Wichita Lineman'....I remember my folks playing that song when I was real little!  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/11/06 at 2:33 pm

:o Is that what it's about? Hmm. I've always understood it to be a more general lament by a person that's far from home, but now that you mention it the "clean my gun" bit does make more sense in that light.  That's the beauty of songwriting...there are so many way to interpret lyrics, unless something is clearly spelled out for you.

Yeah, the song is about a young man over in Vietnam who is dreaming about his hometown of Galveston and the girl he left behind.  It's quite sad when you really read the lyrics.

Written By: gmann on 03/11/06 at 3:07 pm

Yeah, the song is about a young man over in Vietnam who is dreaming about his hometown of Galveston and the girl he left behind.  It's quite sad when you really read the lyrics.

Wow. You learn something new every day, don't ya?  :) This reminds me of a discussion I once overheard about The Monkees' "Last Train to Clarksville". Supposedly, the song is a veiled anti-war tune, but if that's the case, the message was lost on me when I heard it as a tot. I always heard it as a tongue-in-cheek love song. "...and I don't know if I'm ever coming home." The Monkees were deeper than we give 'em credit for, eh?

Speaking of songs with a Vietnam connection, Elton John's "Daniel" is a good example. Elton has said it was inspired by reading a magazine story about a veteran who just wanted to live a normal life after coming home, but couldn't because of constant reminders of the war. He wound up leaving the country, hence the lyric "I can see the red and teal lights heading for Spain".

Written By: Zella on 03/12/06 at 11:36 pm

I always thought the fellow was singing during the American Civil War... did we have cannons in Vietnam..? :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/06 at 1:11 pm

Wow. You learn something new every day, don't ya?  :) This reminds me of a discussion I once overheard about The Monkees' "Last Train to Clarksville". Supposedly, the song is a veiled anti-war tune, but if that's the case, the message was lost on me when I heard it as a tot. I always heard it as a tongue-in-cheek love song. "...and I don't know if I'm ever coming home." The Monkees were deeper than we give 'em credit for, eh?

Speaking of songs with a Vietnam connection, Elton John's "Daniel" is a good example. Elton has said it was inspired by reading a magazine story about a veteran who just wanted to live a normal life after coming home, but couldn't because of constant reminders of the war. He wound up leaving the country, hence the lyric "I can see the red and teal lights heading for Spain".

I believe it is red tail lights heading... in Elton John's Daniel, and also there is an extra unsong verse to that song.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/13/06 at 2:34 pm

Last Train to Clarksville is about a young man going into the service who says to the girl he loves that she needs to meet him at the station before the train leaves because he doesn't know if he's coming back there.  A lot of songs during the late 60s seemed to have 2 meanings; one that is very superficial and then something much deeper once you read the lyrics.  It's really quite interesting.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/15/06 at 5:04 pm

Eh ?  :o

Civil war, surely ?  :o :o :o :o

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/06 at 5:14 pm

Eh ?  :o

Civil war, surely ?  :o :o :o :o

Nope.  I was watching a special on CMT about the 100 Greatest country songs of all time, and I believe Galveston was #8 and I'm pretty sure Glen said that song was about Vietnam.  I don't even think Galveston existed as a city yet during the Civil War. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/06 at 7:34 pm

You learn something new everyday. Here are the lyrics if anyone is interested.

Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea winds blowin'
I still see her dark eyes glowin'
She was 21 when I left Galveston

Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea waves crashing
While I watch the cannons flashing
I clean my gun and dream of Galveston

I still see her standing by the water
Standing there lookin' out to sea
And is she waiting there for me?
On the beach where we used to run

Galveston, oh Galveston, I am so afraid of dying
Before I dry the tears she's crying
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
At Galveston, at Galveston

Cat

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/15/06 at 8:52 pm

Nope.  I was watching a special on CMT about the 100 Greatest country songs of all time, and I believe Galveston was #8 and I'm pretty sure Glen said that song was about Vietnam.  I don't even think Galveston existed as a city yet during the Civil War. 

Nope ?  :o  Maybe !  :P

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2750

Songfacts.com has three different opinions on which war it is about  ;D Certainly one of the posts in there (all probably as dubious as each other post) credits the civil war as starting in Galveston, just not the one in Texas.

I do support Zella's observation above however, that "cannon's" is a strange reference if the song is talking about Vietnam....

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/06 at 11:00 pm

Songfacts.com has three different opinions on which war it is about  ;D Certainly one of the posts in there (all probably as dubious as each other post) credits the civil war as starting in Galveston, just not the one in Texas.

I do support Zella's observation above however, that "cannon's" is a strange reference if the song is talking about Vietnam....

Considering the song was written in 1969, I don't think they had any other war but Vietnam in mind.

Written By: Zella on 03/15/06 at 11:39 pm

Your link does not work - just go to www.songfacts.com and click on G and select Galveston.

Reading the comment by that poor confused Scotsman regarding American geography and history was very entertaining...;D

Written By: Zella on 03/15/06 at 11:45 pm

Considering the song was written in 1969, I don't think they had any other war but Vietnam in mind.

I cannot see Glen Campbell singing it if he even had an inkling that it was about Vietnam - the song was too ambiguous. In the 60s you could sing a song protesting Vietnam, or as a country singer you could probably even get away with a pro-Vietnam song, but for an "all American Country Boy" to sing a Vietnam song that did not specifically define a stand for American patriotism seems too risky for that time period. I don't believe he would have taken that chance.

And I still insist that the cannon reference sounds too archaic for a modern war.

Written By: Zella on 03/15/06 at 11:51 pm

Galveston had official status as a city in 1839. And it existed for a number of years prior to that...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/15/06 at 11:53 pm

It's a little simplistic.  Just *because* it was in 1969, it doesn't mean *everyone* only had an attention span that covered the last few years.

I, like Zella, would also be interested to know your thoughts on the cannon thing  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/06 at 12:02 am

It's a little simplistic.  Just *because* it was in 1969, it doesn't mean *everyone* only had an attention span that covered the last few years.

I, like Zella, would also be interested to know your thoughts on the cannon thing  :)

Most songs that dealt with war were about Vietnam.  My dad lived through it, he fought over there.  It was too pervasive in the American consciousness for it NOT to be a part of everything.  A lot of artists found ways to sing about the war, either for it or against it with out coming out and putting "Vietnam" in the title anywhere.  And as for country artists, look at Pete Seeger's "Waist Deep In The Big Muddy".  What do you think he was singing about?  It was something that was on everyone's minds all the time and it was in movies, on TV and on the radio. 

As for the cannons, never having spoken to the songwriters the word "cannon" may not have been literal.  I've never served, I don't know what war sounds like.  Maybe they were equating the sounds of bombs going off to the sound of cannon-fire.  Who knows.

Written By: Zella on 03/16/06 at 12:29 am

Most songs that dealt with war were about Vietnam.  My dad lived through it, he fought over there.  It was too pervasive in the American consciousness for it NOT to be a part of everything.  A lot of artists found ways to sing about the war, either for it or against it with out coming out and putting "Vietnam" in the title anywhere.  And as for country artists, look at Pete Seeger's "Waist Deep In The Big Muddy".  What do you think he was singing about?  It was something that was on everyone's minds all the time and it was in movies, on TV and on the radio. 

As for the cannons, never having spoken to the songwriters the word "cannon" may not have been literal.  I've never served, I don't know what war sounds like.  Maybe they were equating the sounds of bombs going off to the sound of cannon-fire.  Who knows.

I always saw Pete Seeger as more of a folk singer/protest singer rather than a country singer....

I just always felt that Galveston had too much of a 'romanticized' feel to it to be about Vietnam, which was a very raw subject at that time... Perhaps the same could be said for Christie's "Yellow River" (which interestingly enough also mentions cannon fire).

This discussion was certainly not meant to denigrate anyone's service, so please do not take it that way. It was just an intellectual exercise in trying to find the meaning behind an old classic. I remember the song quite well when it was out and even tho' Vietnam was in progress, even at the time I always felt that he was singing about a much earlier time...

As for ridiculing you, well, not consciously, but heck, we are a couple of old fogies so maybe subconsciously we resent your youth or something. That's kind of a traditional old fogey stance, you know, for many generations... ;)

Is your father still living? If so, why don't you ask him how he interprets the song? Since he served in Vietnam I think his input on this subject would be most interesting. Please let us know. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/06 at 12:38 am

I always saw Pete Seeger as more of a folk singer/protest singer rather than a country singer....

I just always felt that Galveston had too much of a 'romanticized' feel to it to be about Vietnam, which was a very raw subject at that time... Perhaps the same could be said for Christie's "Yellow River" (which interestingly enough also mentions cannon fire).

This discussion was certainly not meant to denigrate anyone's service, so please do not take it that way. It was just an intellectual exercise in trying to find the meaning behind an old classic. I remember the song quite well when it was out and even tho' Vietnam was in progress, even at the time I always felt that he was singing about a much earlier time...

As for ridiculing you, well, not consciously, but heck, we are a couple of old fogies so maybe subconsciously we resent your youth or something. That's kind of a traditional old fogey stance, you know, for many generations... ;)

Is your father still living? If so, why don't you ask him how he interprets the song? Since he served in Vietnam I think his input on this subject would be most interesting. Please let us know. :)

He's never heard it before, I've already asked him.  He was never into Glen Campbell.  He asked me what year it came out, I said 1969.  He said "Well, it must be about Vietnam, because that's what everyone was talking about."

Also, he wasn't over there very long and he never saw combat either, thankfully. 

Written By: Zella on 03/16/06 at 12:59 am

I wonder if the songwriter is still living...?  ???

Maybe if he is, we could find an address and just write and ask him....

Yep - just checked - he is alive and well and has an official music site. It's late and I'm going to bed now, but if I have time tomorrow I may send off an email and see if I can get the official position on the song... :)

Written By: TheRemf on 03/16/06 at 12:05 pm

I know Galveston is considered an anti-war song.  Prof. Dumm, a political science prof I had at Amherst, asked the class if they could guess the top rated anti-war song.  My hand went up, but he wisely decided to let some of the younger students try first.  Predictably, they all guessed John & Yoko, Peter Paul & Mary, Bob Dylan and some of the usual suspects.  He then called on me and my "Galveston" answer.  It was correct.  He liked doing counter-intuitive things like that.  Such as a country song being the best selling anti-war song.  Actually, it isn't even particularly counter-intuitive.  Remember who gave Campbell his big boost.  The Smothers Brothers. 

By the way, they're now called "howitzers," but they are tube artillery, i.e. "cannons."  The song makes perfect sense there.

Written By: gmann on 03/16/06 at 12:25 pm

Interesting. However, I still believe there's enough room for more than one interpretation of "Galveston". 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/06 at 1:56 pm

I didn't realize that Jimmy Webb (who wrote it) also wrote MacArthur Park.  At least with Galveston you know what the song is about (even if there is argument about which war he was singing about-but I think everyone agrees it is about war), but with MacArthur Park, what in the world is that song about??  ???  I think Jimmy Webb must have been taking a bad trip on LSD when he wrote that.

Sorry to get off topic.

Cat

Written By: gmann on 03/16/06 at 2:11 pm

Much ado about leaving a cake in the rain. I don't get it, either. It has a nice melody, though...

Written By: Zella on 03/16/06 at 2:55 pm

I didn't realize that Jimmy Webb (who wrote it) also wrote MacArthur Park.  At least with Galveston you know what the song is about (even if there is argument about which war he was singing about-but I think everyone agrees it is about war), but with MacArthur Park, what in the world is that song about??  ???  I think Jimmy Webb must have been taking a bad trip on LSD when he wrote that.

Sorry to get off topic.

Cat

These days if you hang around in MacArthur Park, the last thing you need to worry about is getting your cake melted... ;D

Written By: Paul on 03/16/06 at 2:56 pm

I cannot see Glen Campbell singing it if he even had an inkling that it was about Vietnam - the song was too ambiguous.

Trademark Jimmy Webb!

And I still insist that the cannon reference sounds too archaic for a modern war.

Yes...have to agree...

Written By: Zella on 03/16/06 at 3:05 pm

By the way, they're now called "howitzers," but they are tube artillery, i.e. "cannons."  The song makes perfect sense there.

So howcum he didn't sing:

While I watch the tube artillery flashing...

;D ;D ;D

(D*mn those little green St. Patrick's hats! - they're taking all the ooomph out of my smilies! ::)  )

Written By: Zella on 03/16/06 at 3:08 pm

Trademark Jimmy Webb!

Yes...have to agree...

I wonder about the 'I aim my gun' line too...

I picture someone taking careful aim in post modern wars. In modern war, particularly Vietnam, wasn't it more just generally pointing a semi automatic and spraying a lot of bullets in a general direction...? ???

Written By: Paul on 03/16/06 at 3:16 pm

In modern war, particularly Vietnam, wasn't it more just generally pointing a semi automatic and spraying a lot of bullets in a general direction...? ???

Hang on...I'll ask my mate, Johnny Rambo...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/16/06 at 6:01 pm

As for the cannons, never having spoken to the songwriters the word "cannon" may not have been literal. 

Far out ! :o  I was simply asking you what *you* thought it meant, as it had been mentioned twice before that and in both of your posts after that you had referred to other parts but seemingly avoided that...  ???

I have no idea why your response was worded the way it was, why do you think for a minute I was ridiculing you ?  I was pointing out that just as you were adamant that it was about Vietnam, there were differing POV's on the subject.  :o  No more/less than that.  And yes, I did want to know what you thought, else asking you would seem rather pointless...

Written By: mandamoo on 03/17/06 at 7:12 am

I always thought the fellow was singing during the American Civil War... did we have cannons in Vietnam..? :o

I always thought it was about the Civil War....???

Written By: lizjagger on 05/30/06 at 1:09 am

'Wichita Lineman' is one of the best songs I've heard.It's definitely my favourite. I also like his duet of 'Scarborough Faire' with Bobbie Gentry. 'Dreams of an everyday housewife 'and its waltz signature is also haunting and beautiful.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/02/06 at 9:44 pm

Gotta go with the Lineman.  Rediscovered the track purely by accident on a "hey, thanks for your money, enjoy your  new cassette stereo system" tape that was shipped with a car I bought (and am about halfway done restoring) from its original owner. 

Timeless late-night cruising music.

Check for new replies or respond here...