inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Janis Joplin (and her influence)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/14/06 at 4:48 am

It's often Janis Joplin was one of the most influential female singers of the 60s, and she subsequently influenced many artists. Sure, she sang 'white girls' blues and was influenced by Big Mamma Thornton and other 'wailers of the era', but a comment I read sums up my point succinctly. I forget the source, but it said that Janis' style has rarely been imitated by 'mainstream' female singers, being more taken by male rock singers (like Robert Plant of Led Zep). Sure, her style of singing was exhausting, and emotionally and spiritually intensive, but I have a feeling her influence in the mainstream wasn't as big as it is claimed. Many may have even, I hate to say it, looked down upon her cater-wauling and antics as pure show. But, I can say with all certainty, nothing the great Miss Joplin did on stage was show. Singing on stage WAS her life.

Anyway, it still wouldn't change my opinion of her. She's more than an icon or a cliche, Janis Joplin was a fascinating character and a prodigious talent.

Subject: Re: Janis Joplin (and her influence)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/14/06 at 9:01 am

Her influence wasn't so great b/c she imitated the style of actual blues singers and singers like Robert Plant took from them, not her.

But she was good nonetheless.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/15/06 at 4:54 pm

It's often Janis Joplin was one of the most influential female singers of the 60s, and she subsequently influenced many artists. Sure, she sang 'white girls' blues and was influenced by Big Mamma Thornton and other 'wailers of the era', but a comment I read sums up my point succinctly. I forget the source, but it said that Janis' style has rarely been imitated by 'mainstream' female singers, being more taken by male rock singers (like Robert Plant of Led Zep). Sure, her style of singing was exhausting, and emotionally and spiritually intensive, but I have a feeling her influence in the mainstream wasn't as big as it is claimed. Many may have even, I hate to say it, looked down upon her cater-wauling and antics as pure show. But, I can say with all certainty, nothing the great Miss Joplin did on stage was show. Singing on stage WAS her life.

Anyway, it still wouldn't change my opinion of her. She's more than an icon or a cliche, Janis Joplin was a fascinating character and a prodigious talent.

In terms of a personality, a revolutionary woman who challenged women's images and accepted none and played with the boys, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Joan Jett, Liz Phair, and almost every female rock star since has been indebted to her.

Written By: GREEN67 on 03/17/06 at 11:09 pm

8) I totally agree with you..Janis was one of my first albumns...I sing "Me and Bobby McGhee" all the time and my daughter laughs at me...she was an extraordinary chick..tho I cant get into her choice of drink..Southern Comfort!..Tastes like cough syrup to me... ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/18/06 at 6:16 am

I'm just puzzled that, while I see shelves of Doors and Jimi Hendrix DVD, I couldn't find a single Janis Joplin one in any store (had to order it online)...And if you ask 10 teens on the street, 9 or 10 would know the two former, but perhaps 6 know Miss Joplin. Commercial success notwithstanding, it seems she isn't as population for some reason, I couldn't guess what.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/18/06 at 7:19 am

I can't say enough about Janis, she was influenced by the greats, and I believe she became one of them.

Check for new replies or respond here...