inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why is the 60s thread moving so slowly?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/19/06 at 11:55 pm

Why is the pre-70s thread moving so slowly? Come on, we should really get the activity rate on this thread up..There's plenty about the 60s and before to talk about...

Subject: Re: Why is the 60s thread moving so slowly?

Written By: zotsfreak on 03/21/06 at 8:32 am

Why is the pre-70s thread moving so slowly? Come on, we should really get the activity rate on this thread up..There's plenty about the 60s and before to talk about...

People that were teens in the 1960's are about 55 years old now. If you did a survey about how many people are computer users / are on line regarding their age, I'll bet that they are a low # compared to people that are teen, in their 20's, or are in their 30's now. It's prolly directly related to this # of comp users from a given age group,

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/21/06 at 8:51 am

I asked this question before, but why are there nearly three times as many posts in the 80s thread than the 90s thread? I'd think more computer users would have been born during that era...Beats me...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/21/06 at 11:39 am

I asked this question before, but why are there nearly three times as many posts in the 80s thread than the 90s thread? I'd think more computer users would have been born during that era...Beats me...

I guess it's because 90's nostalgia hasn't really started yet? I dont know but I post on the 90's thread all the time(as well as the 80's and 00's).

Written By: Carl on 03/21/06 at 2:03 pm

I do all, variety helps!  :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/21/06 at 2:39 pm

I was born in 1982, so my knowledge of the 60s is very limited, and I only respond to polls or questions if I can answer them.  I guess more people post about the 80s because the majority of the people registered here remember them enough to talk at length about it.

Written By: Zella on 03/21/06 at 3:00 pm

Just off the top of my head I think there are only about 4 or 5 of us posters here old enough to remember the 60s... :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/21/06 at 6:21 pm

I was born in 1982, so my knowledge of the 60s is very limited, and I only respond to polls or questions if I can answer them.  I guess more people post about the 80s because the majority of the people registered here remember them enough to talk at length about it.

Yeah, me too. I was born in 1987 so the only things I know about the 60's is limited to things i've learned after the fact. But if I see something I know about then of course I reply. I can't really remember the 80's but i'm still pretty aware of them since alot of stuff from the 80's was still around in the early 90's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/23/06 at 1:52 am

You didn't listen to the Beatles as a kid or anything?

I'm around the same age as you, and I've always been really into them, and just the decade in general (well okay, not as much as the '80s). ;D I'm also fascinated by the Vietnam War, or constant social/political/pop cultural changes in the air. I'm not gonna claim I'm as knowledgeable on the '60s as someone born in 1949. Of course not, but I still know quite a bit.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/23/06 at 2:33 am

You didn't listen to the Beatles as a kid or anything?

I'm around the same age as you, and I've always been really into them, and just the decade in general (well okay, not as much as the '80s). ;D I'm also fascinated by the Vietnam War, or constant social/political/pop cultural changes in the air. I'm not gonna claim I'm as knowledgeable on the '60s as someone born in 1949. Of course not, but I still know quite a bit.

Did I say I didn't?  I said that I only respond to questions/polls that I can answer, and if they touch on subjects concerning the 60s that I'm knowledgeable about, I'll say something.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/23/06 at 8:39 am

My knowledge is limited as well...though I pretend to know alot. Not being there, however, makes me EVEN more interested in that era, as one is interested in Ancient Rome, or the prehistoric Era. It's the mistique of an era. I think the 20th century has it's own mythology, even the United States, a relatively young country, has a sort of 20th century mythology which I think reached its zenith in the 60s. Others will disagree, but the 60s are probably the one decade in the 20th century I'd want to go back in time to visit.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/23/06 at 7:55 pm

Did I say I didn't?  I said that I only respond to questions/polls that I can answer, and if they touch on subjects concerning the 60s that I'm knowledgeable about, I'll say something.

Oh, it's cool - makes sense (I totally apologize if I came off the wrong way at all, lol). :)

To parallel that, I'm not super knowledgeable on the first half of the 20th century. Sure, I know enough to describe it to people and the basic feel for each decade, but I wouldn't be able to write an accurate essay on, say 1932 the way I would on the year 1982 or 1992.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 5:25 pm

Because the '60s generation of the '40s and early '50s are almost old now, sadly enough.  :\'(

Plus, this is primarily an '80s board, and the '70s and '80s are the current nostalgia decades of choice.  The '90s are too recent and too similar to now to get a lot of posts, although they have been on the rise.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/25/06 at 11:53 pm

But the legacy of the flower power era is still very prevalent among young people today...

The music...many of the fashions ('hippie'), music festivals, smoking weed...they probably owe a bigger debt to that era than they realise.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:03 am

They do Trimac.  And I am one Gen Yer who is definitely stuck in the 60s. :)

I wonder why my fellow Gen Yers are interested in the 80s, but I'm more interested in the 60s? ???

I bet you have younger parents.  My dad was born in 1948 and my mom in 1956..

That is one thing that makes me alot different from other Gen Yers. It seems like most in my age group(16-22) are more connected to the 80s than say the 60s.  I guess most people that age's parents are in their early to mid 40s, while I was heavily influenced by my dad who is in his late 50s and my uncle who is in his mid 50s.  My mom has never had much influence on me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 12:25 pm

That's kind of weird...

My dad was born in 1949 and my mum in 1957 - so one year after your parents respectively...

My dad used band and was quite in touch with the culture of the day, in contrast to my mum.

Yeah the 60s are so much more interesting than the dull old 80s. In almost every aspect.

Written By: hot_wax on 04/04/06 at 2:35 am

My knowledge is limited as well...though I pretend to know alot. Not being there, however, makes me EVEN more interested in that era, as one is interested in Ancient Rome, or the prehistoric Era. It's the mistique of an era. I think the 20th century has it's own mythology, even the United States, a relatively young country, has a sort of 20th century mythology which I think reached its zenith in the 60s. Others will disagree, but the 60s are probably the one decade in the 20th century I'd want to go back in time to visit.

Trimac20, No one didn't know then that the 60's decade would re-write and drasticly change the rules of living in the World that exsists today...It was crazy times, a little scary, things changed from day to day but loved every moment of it and if I could I would go back and live the rest of my life in those crazy years of the 60's. Although, I'm living my life today because of situations in the 60's that influenced my decisions for my future.

You would have loved those crazy times...

Hot Wax

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 9:06 am

Trimac20, No one didn't know then that the 60's decade would re-write and drasticly change the rules of living in the World that exsists today...It was crazy times, a little scary, things changed from day to day but loved every moment of it and if I could I would go back and live the rest of my life in those crazy years of the 60's. Although, I'm living my life today because of situations in the 60's that influenced my decisions for my future.

You would have loved those crazy times...

Hot Wax

I think if I went back to the 60s I'd be a boho/beat poet from 1960-1963, a mod from 1963-1966, a rocker from 1966-1967 and a hippie from 1967-1969.

Written By: hot_wax on 04/18/06 at 9:44 pm

People that were teens in the 1960's are about 55 years old now. If you did a survey about how many people are computer users / are on line regarding their age, I'll bet that they are a low # compared to people that are teen, in their 20's, or are in their 30's now. It's prolly directly related to this # of comp users from a given age group,

You are 100% correct. The only computers that were used when I was a teenager was the Univac and it only read punch cards and tapes. There was no internet, telephones were only hard wired and Bill Gates was watching Seseme Street on a black in white TV.

It's not that we are stupid to new inventions but the old saying holds true "you can't or it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks" and most of the 60's kids today are in their mid 50's today with 1000 other things on their minds with no room for 1001 learning the use of computers if they didn't have to. Things change fast, the invention of the internet and the mouse made it easier to use the PC and to understand it, in the 90's it went from the business office to rec room of your home as a social instrument for communication with the world. It's to much to fast and just out of our generations reach to master and leave the new fangled invention our their kids to master and they can teach us s-l-o-w-l-y. I hope you kids don't have the challenges of a fast changing disposable world that we, your parents, have to face, you'll know when you're being passed by when your kids or grandkids laugh at you because you still use "what grandpa? you still use your hands to write letters?, why don't you just think it and let the words come out on your and their "halo vision" when you want to communicate with someone...far fetching you say? just think about it awhile...not so, so perpare for all the new changes in your future or thay'll pass you by too.

Hot Wax

Check for new replies or respond here...