inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Technology of the '40s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 1:07 am

I'm currently watching Three Daring Daughters (1948) and I'm amazed at the technology.  As old as it seems, it doesn't seem 19th centuryish like you might think.  They have phones, there's skyscrapers, etc, plus it's in color.

Subject: Re: The Technology of the '40s

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/28/06 at 1:51 am

I'm currently watching Three Daring Daughters (1948) and I'm amazed at the technology.  As old as it seems, it doesn't seem 19th centuryish like you might think.  They have phones, there's skyscrapers, etc, plus it's in color.
They had a lot of cool art-deco architecture back then.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/28/06 at 8:37 pm

I consider post-WWII the heart of the 'modern' age and the modern socio-political/architecture/art movement. The years 1946-1965 were probably the heart of it, when science and technology were seen as an answer to everything.

Yeah, people in the 40s had record players (well sort of them), TVs (very small, black and white ones), radio, refridgerators, washing machines. They drove cars, caught trains and buses. In fact, when you look at it, pretty much the same appliances used til' the 80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 11:22 pm

I consider post-WWII the heart of the 'modern' age and the modern socio-political/architecture/art movement. The years 1946-1965 were probably the heart of it, when science and technology were seen as an answer to everything.

Yeah, people in the 40s had record players (well sort of them), TVs (very small, black and white ones), radio, refridgerators, washing machines. They drove cars, caught trains and buses. In fact, when you look at it, pretty much the same appliances used til' the 80s.

You know what? Technologically, I'd say 1950-1992 is as close to the 1940s as it is to now.

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/06 at 1:23 am

it's been colourized

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/06 at 1:27 am

Gone With The Wind released in 1939 was shot in colour.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 1:27 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 1:28 am

Yeah it was, one of the few films pre-WWII to be shot in colour. I was blown away when I saw the digitally enhanced version. It looked like it could have been made today.

Yeah, the 50s were definitely modern...yet kids still call it 'the olden days.'  ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 1:29 am

Don't know about that other film, but Gone With the Wind was definitely filmed in technicolour.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 1:30 am

Yeah it was, one of the few films pre-WWII to be shot in colour. I was blown away when I saw the digitally enhanced version. It looked like it could have been made today.

Yeah, the 50s were definitely modern...yet kids still call it 'the olden days.'  ::)

I wonder how they digitally enhance.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 1:35 am

If they have the original reel they usually use that as a reference, and then they remove all the 'noise' (the grainy bits, not the actual audio lol), enhance the colour.etc. The original reel, if still in good condition, would actually be of a very high quality. I think it's less about restoration than converting the original negative, but I don't know much about the current processes used.

Written By: Skippy on 03/29/06 at 1:56 am

'Wizard of Oz' was another 30's film shot in color, and black & white. Speaking of skyscrapers, wasn't the Empire State Building erected in th '20's? Telephones...the first exchange was set up in 1878. I know this because I'm older than you.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/06 at 4:48 pm

Here is a list of movies from 1917-1935 that were filmed in color (at least part of it was).

http://www.vitaphone.org/color.html

By the 40s, most of the "modern" technology was in place-telephones, electricty. The microwave oven was invented in 1947. And the computer had entered the English language in 1936 with the invention of Konrad Zuse - Z1 Computer, the first freely programmable computer. As the 20th century progressed, "new and improvements" to the technology increased-i.e. computers, microwaves, etc.

Cat

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/31/06 at 2:23 am

Here is a list of movies from 1917-1935 that were filmed in color (at least part of it was).

http://www.vitaphone.org/color.html

By the 40s, most of the "modern" technology was in place-telephones, electricty. The microwave oven was invented in 1947. And the computer had entered the English language in 1936 with the invention of Konrad Zuse - Z1 Computer, the first freely programmable computer. As the 20th century progressed, "new and improvements" to the technology increased-i.e. computers, microwaves, etc.

Cat

How come I've never any of them?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/05/06 at 8:01 pm

The Germans created the first magnetic audio tape recorder, the Magnetophone, in 1941..or around that time. The American version, the Ampex 200, was created in the late 1940's using the info on the Magnetophones brought back from Germany by Jack Mullin...

The 50's brought something else using magnetic tape....the first practical videotape recorder.

Check for new replies or respond here...