inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Standard of singing 1960s-now. Has it improved?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 1:32 am

Do you think the standard of singing (in general for all types of msic) has improved? I know the human voice will always be the same, and the techniques.etc are all the same, but is the standard today higher than the 60s/70s? I know the Monkees etc. weren't exactly the best singers, but how would they compare with todays mainstream music in general? I think the style of singing was somewhat less...what's the word...showy. Overall, however, I don't think the standard 'rock' style of singing has changed that much (probably got more Americanised). It's a pity, however, we hear the baritone of Jim Morrison much these days.

Subject: Re: Standard of singing 1960s-now. Has it improved?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 3:20 am

dont know much about the '60s, but yeah today is more showy.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 10:06 am

Showy yes...but nothing like true divas like Tina Turner or Janis Joplin.

I wish for singers would belt out the blues like Joplin (and of course the Blues mammas she idolised that preceeded her).

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/30/06 at 2:40 pm

I think the style of singing was somewhat less...what's the word...showy.
Oh totally, and I hate how these singers today have to bend these notes all over the place just because they can.

What made Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley (probably the two greatest singers of the 20th Century) so great was that their singing was a bit more understated. They were more concerned about hitting the right notes and intonation in order to compliment the song rather than merely singing wildly all over the place in order to say "LOOK AT ME! SEE WHAT A GREAT SINGER I AM?!?"

Written By: gemini on 03/30/06 at 4:59 pm

Oh totally, and I hate how these singers today have to bend these notes all over the place just because they can.

What made Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley (probably the two greatest singers of the 20th Century) so great was that their singing was a bit more understated. They were more concerned about hitting the right notes and intonation in order to compliment the song rather than merely singing wildly all over the place in order to say "LOOK AT ME! SEE WHAT A GREAT SINGER I AM?!?"

You are so right about that. I think the songs seemed happier back then too. Now, everything is so "whoa is me" kind of stuff.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/30/06 at 9:01 pm

True talent is shown by restraint.

Written By: NozmoKing on 04/04/06 at 10:07 am

I think that today the louder you can play and the more you can scream seems to be what justifies a good song, and dont forget how many cuss words you can use. You go through the list of groups being played on the radio today and you might get 5% of them that can actually sing. But then again, todays music is a totaly different brand than 20-30-40 years ago. There is quite a bit of stuff out today that I like, but to say any of them are good singers.

Today they dont really have to be good singers to sound good. The songs dont rely that much on being a great vocalist.
As far as the note benders, I agree with that also. Mariah Carey(?) for one has a tremendous voice and vocal ability, Im just not crazy about the style of music she does overall. I can listen to some of her stuff, and others songs I just cant take because its vocal overkill.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject.

NozmoKing

Written By: Mushroom on 04/04/06 at 12:02 pm

I think the actual singing has decreased in the last 10 years.

In most groups today, the emphasis is on volume and effects, less on singing itself.  And the performers simply are not able to sing well without all the editing done by then engineers.

I remember seeing a lot of the great singers of the 60's and 70's in live concerts, and for the most part they sounded just like they did on the albums.  The Carpenters, The 5th Dimension, Johnny Rivers, Peter Noone, even Charlie Daniels and David Lee Roth.

If you listen to a live performance of most artists today, they sound like crap.  This is why so few will actually perform live, they lipsync their performances.  We all remember the number of artists in the last 5 years that have been busted because their recording got messed up.  And how many times have you heard a live performance, and thought it was somebody entirely different singing the song?

To be a hit female singer, all you need is a good body and suggestive moves, and songs written for you full of sexual inuendo.  Actual singing ability is not required, that can be faked in post-production editing.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 12:21 pm

To be a hit female singer, all you need is a good body and suggestive moves, and songs written for you full of sexual inuendo.  Actual singing ability is not required, that can be faked in post-production editing.

Who can we blame that on. Madonna?

Check for new replies or respond here...