inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Just three movies; is James Dean deservant of his reputation?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 7:50 am

I personally think the answer is a resounding YES. Sure, perhaps he wasn't given the opportunity to develop himself as an actor, but from those three films, his tremendous talent was shone pretty clear. But of course a large part of his reputation developed from the fact he had such a short career/

Subject: Re: Just three movies; is James Dean deservant of his reputation?

Written By: hot_wax on 04/14/06 at 1:36 am

The way I see it, his Hollywood hype persona was associated with the Rock and Roll movement of the 50's, he was young with attitude who came across as the "Coolest" guys you ever seen, the same mystique as early Elvis Presley had, different from all others and like Elvis of the 50's the teenagers idealized James Dean after he made the movie "Rebel without a Cause" and took him into their world as a role model.

When he was killed he became sort of a martyr in their teenage rebellion and his popularity grew bigger than what he really did to deserver that status, only his assoiation with the teenage rebellion of the time was his only claim to his icon status today.

Hot Wax

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/14/06 at 3:48 am

Have you ever seen all three of his movies? Do yourself a favour and watch them - and then watch them again, and maybe you won't view him ONLY him as a 'cultural icon', though he undoubtedly was. He is still one of the best actors of his era (at least as good as his compatriot Brando). But even if he wasn't taken so tragically, I have to say I can't see him contiuing a career in acting as long as others such as Brando did.

Written By: hot_wax on 04/15/06 at 12:56 am

Have you ever seen all three of his movies? Do yourself a favour and watch them - and then watch them again, and maybe you won't view him ONLY him as a 'cultural icon', though he undoubtedly was. He is still one of the best actors of his era (at least as good as his compatriot Brando). But even if he wasn't taken so tragically, I have to say I can't see him contiuing a career in acting as long as others such as Brando did.

There is no doubt that he was a terrific actor and would be in the same class of Brando but his off camera charisma superseded his acting abilities, his cool hip attitude intrigued both genders and the kids took him on as a role model because of it.

I don't personally care what person's life style are, but do you know if he was he Gay?  I thought it was mentioned in a documentary about James Dean's life that Dennis Hopper and James Dean were good friends but only friends nothing more then good buddies, although, I didn't understand why it was mentioned or where they were going with that information, I must have missed something in that segment...was he Gay?

HW

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 2:28 am

There is no doubt that he was a terrific actor and would be in the same class of Brando but his off camera charisma superseded his acting abilities, his cool hip attitude intrigued both genders and the kids took him on as a role model because of it.

I don't personally care what person's life style are, but do you know if he was he Gay?  I thought it was mentioned in a documentary about James Dean's life that Dennis Hopper and James Dean were good friends but only friends nothing more that good buddies, although, I didn't understand why it was mentioned or where they were going with that information, I must have missed something in that segment...was he Gay?

HW

He was once quoted as saying, was like, 'living with one hand tied behind your back.' And from most reports I read he was bi-sexual. But not being a real expert on his private life, I can't really confirm anything as such.

Written By: lizjagger on 04/15/06 at 11:38 pm

I think James Dean was amazing. So, he is deserving of his reputation. I am annoyed however when there are teens that claim to love James or even Marilyn Monroe, when they don't even know a thing about them or have seen any of their movies.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 1:29 am

I think James Dean was amazing. So, he is deserving of his reputation. I am annoyed however when there are teens that claim to love James or even Marilyn Monroe, when they don't even know a thing about them or have seen any of their movies.

Yes, saying you like James Dean seems to make you automatically cool because you appreciate what is great about pop culture. But I've began to appreciate him on a deeper level. To me 'James Dean' is more than a name or a phenomena, but a troubled and fascinating personality and actor. I haven't read much of his life, but to me he seems such a compelling character.

Check for new replies or respond here...