inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Robin Hood

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/06 at 7:53 pm

I only ever saw Prince of Thieves and Men in Tights.  I really liked Cary Elwes as Robin Hood ... he fit that role like a glove :)

"Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent"

Subject: Re: Best Robin Hood

Written By: fishryc on 05/10/06 at 8:24 pm

Most movie buffs will agree that the "standard" by which all Robin Hood themed productions are judged is Errol Flynn's 1938 American classic, "The Adventures of Robin Hood". I personally agree; with my second favorite being the Kevin Costner "Prince Of Thieves" version. WD you must see Errol Flynn's  Robin Hood.

Here's a review of that one that say's it best:

This film *is* the Robin Hood of the screen: it's merry and witty, tender and bold, impudent, dashing and brightly clad... and an undoubted legend in its own lifetime! I recently had the chance to see it in the cinema for the first time, with the release of the remastered print, and wondered if it could possibly hold up to televised childhood memories. The joyous answer is that indeed it does. It's not only the breathtaking adventure I remembered; it's a fiery and surprisingly gentle romance that isn't afraid of laughs.

It's unthinkable, once you've seen it, to imagine this film with anyone other than Errol Flynn. Every subsequent interpreter has had to struggle to reclaim the part from the memory of his roguery and grace - and most modern 'Robin's have been handicapped by an insistence on authentic mediaeval murk and grime. In the 1930s, with Technicolour the latest craze, mud and homespun were the last thing a studio wanted. Flynn's Robin Hood sports the Lincoln green of legend and a forest as brightly coloured as a painted backdrop, and the rich furs and silks on show at Nottingham Castle are straight out of fairy-tale; or an illuminated manuscript.

The story itself is purest escapist magic. Greedy barons, a wicked usurper, a rightful king in exile, and a proud beauty in distress... and, of course, England's eponymous outlaw hero, robbing the rich to give to the poor with a jest on his lips in true swashbuckler style. The script sparkles. And the stunts, in those days before wire-fu or CGI, are all for real and still take the breath away. Flynn was in superb physical condition at the time - co-star Basil Rathbone, who played his proud opponent and would-be suitor to Marian's hand, Guy of Gisbourne, described him simply as 'a perfect male animal' - and misses no opportunity to show off his flamboyance.

Unlike today's pretty-boy heroes, however, Flynn shows a surprising talent for acting with his face alone. The expressive reaction shots throughout his boudoir scene with Marian tell a different tale to the quickfire banter of his words, and, like Marian, despite ourselves we are drawn in. Olivia de Havilland, as Marian, is somewhat ill-served by her period costume - she is at her most beautiful in this scene, without her hair confined in her wimple - but together they duel their way through a classic tempestuous romance of the high-born lady and the outlaw, ultimately risking their lives to save each other. Marian is no anachronistic action heroine, but no-one, not even Robin, can keep her from what she thinks is right.

As Guy of Gisbourne, Basil Rathbone is also playing one of the landmark roles of his career, and gives a superb performance. His Gisbourne is no cardboard villain, but a clever, arrogant man, who matches wits and blades with Robin as a worthy rival, and whose courtship of Marian is not without grace. And his wily master, rufous Plantagenet Prince John (Claude Rains, in a small but well-cast part) is no fool either. He knows precisely what he wants and what he can get away with, wasting no time in bluster or empty threats.

Comedy of a broader nature is provided by the cowardly Sheriff of Nottingham, and by Bess, Marian's maid. But even Bess's farcical courtship with timid Much (she has buried more husbands than he has had kisses) is not without its tender moments, and perhaps only the Sheriff is entirely a cut-out figure of fun.

Few people can whistle 'the theme from Robin Hood'. But the famous Korngold score, with its full orchestral depth and rousing fanfares, is as familiar today as it was seventy years ago, when it won its Academy Award. From the faultless casting through unforgettable pageantry and timeless romance to the final spectacular duel, when Robin and Gisbourne meet "once too often", this picture richly deserves its reputation as *the* Robin Hood on film - from which on present showing it is unlikely ever to be dethroned.

S

Written By: zcrito on 05/10/06 at 8:54 pm

Most movie buffs will agree that the "standard" by which all Robin Hood themed productions are judged is Errol Flynn's 1938 American classic, "The Adventures of Robin Hood"...

That one gets my vote too. And it was directed by Michael "Captain Blood"+" Casablanca" Curtiz.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/11/06 at 1:28 pm

In terms of the character, I have to go with Errol Flynn. (By the way, he wrote a great autobiography that I do recommend.)  In terms of the plot, I have to go with Prince of Theives. Everyone in that movie was great with the exception of Kevin Costner. Whoever said that Costner could act is beyond me.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/12/06 at 4:29 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/06 at 4:32 pm

Erroll Flynn, no sweat!  I read his book, love his movies, and we share a birthday...  :)

Got a match?  Not since Errol Flynn died  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/06 at 4:34 pm

Erroll Flynn, no sweat!  I read his book, love his movies, and we share a birthday...  :)

Got a match?  Not since Errol Flynn died  ;D

I loved the part in his book where he was talking about the "living bracelet" with the ducks. I cracked up so hard when I read that. In fact, I had to read that part to everyone because I thought it was so funny.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 05/12/06 at 4:41 pm

http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/rh/rhfilms.htm

"Wolfshead: The Legend of Robin Hood. Dir. John Hough. With David Warbeck and Ciaran Madden. London Weekend Productions, 1969."

the attentive will recognize john hough as the director of the fabulous witch mountain series! so of course this will be my favorite robin hood, even though i've never seen it -- it's almost impossible to find, apparently.

i'm on a project to see all john hough movies. it's kinda hard to do.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/13/06 at 5:38 am

Cary Elwes 1993 - Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Written By: schmartypantz on 05/18/06 at 10:06 am

Flynn. :)

Written By: KKay on 05/18/06 at 10:08 am

You know, I think a poll for the worst Robin Hood would be easier.
Then we go after the rotten Batmans.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/06 at 2:25 pm

Errol Flynn

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/18/06 at 3:41 pm

Errol Flynn...he was even good in the Bugs Bunny cartoon "Rabbit Hood".  LOL!!

Written By: Paul on 05/19/06 at 2:31 pm

Yep, another one for Flynn...

Although I'd like to give mention to the Richard Greene variant (which actually dates from 1955 and was one of the first shows to be broadcasted on British commercial TV) if only for that theme tune...

'Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen...'

Python addicts may remember a 'Dennis Moore' version!

Written By: woops on 05/21/06 at 2:29 am

Daffy Duck "Robin Hood Daffy"  :D

Honestly, I've never seen any of the movies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/06 at 3:06 am

Yep, another one for Flynn...

Although I'd like to give mention to the Richard Greene variant (which actually dates from 1955 and was one of the first shows to be broadcasted on British commercial TV) if only for that theme tune...

'Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen...'

Python addicts may remember a 'Dennis Moore' version!
Lupins!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/06 at 1:11 pm

Just saw Men in Tights last night (haven't seen it in years).  Cary Elwes does have a striking resemblence to Errol Flynn.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/26/06 at 3:06 pm

With the exception of K.C. the little rich boy, they were all good, but my vote is for Sean Connery.  His acting was supurb  and the story was original.

Written By: belladonna on 06/06/06 at 5:27 am

As much as I love Errol Flynn, my vote goes to Michael Praed from the British TV version.

Written By: Gis on 06/07/06 at 12:02 pm

As much as I love Errol Flynn, my vote goes to Michael Praed from the British TV version.
He was by far the best looking but he wasn't so good an actor, mind you the scripts were so poor he didn't really stand a chance !!
jason Connery was appalling when he replaced him.

Written By: searching1980s on 06/12/06 at 11:07 am

That's what I was going to say.  The British TV series that started in 84 -- I only saw a few episodes (and I hear the DVD set is deeply flawed with bad audio and worse video, for high dollar too) but it was very moody and evocative and the mythic quality of the Robin character was worlds beyond any other spin on it I've seen.  (At the end of the second season Robin was killed and in the ancient renewing tradition of "the king is dead -- long live the king" he was replaced by another outlaw/rebel/loyalist leader who took his name and his task.)
So I voted "Other."  This is not to say that I don't love Errol Flynn but I'm buying his pirate movies and watching for a used DVD set from this British Robin of Sherword series to get my Robin Hood fix.

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 06/12/06 at 11:50 am

Now, I haven't seen all these.  I've heard Doug Fairbanks was every bit the "swashbuckler" Flynn was.  (I chose Flynn.)

Elwes was great and would be great if he could just use that perky energy in a "serious" adventure recounting that's not officially a comedy.

Glad to see no votes for Costner yet.  That was a booorrrrrinng movie (like most of his).  And he is BORING.  Not nearly the energetic exciting man a Robin Hood should be.  :P

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/12/06 at 1:41 pm

Where's the Disney Robin Hood at?

Written By: Dagwood on 09/24/06 at 7:28 pm

I only ever saw Prince of Thieves and Men in Tights.  I really liked Cary Elwes as Robin Hood ... he fit that role like a glove :)

"Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent"

Exactly.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/26/06 at 11:23 am

Myself, I voted for Brian Bedford.

"Who?"

Well, he did the voice of Robin Hood in the 1973 Disney movie.  That has long been one of my favorite movies of the legend.  And it caught the "Tall Tale" style of the originals fairly well.

Myself, as a "Robin Hood" movie, I give "Prince Of Thieves" a really low grade.  It is a good movie, but I simply can't accept how they butchered the legend.  After all, the entire backstory was how Prince John tried to ursurp the throne from his Brother.  The Costner movie makes no mention at all of Prince John.  And are we really supposed to accept the idea that the Sheriff could usurp the country?  The Nobility would never have stood for that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/06 at 12:02 pm

We will have to add Jonas Armstrong as Robin Hood, the BBC has a new series starting on October 7th 2006.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/06 at 12:01 pm

Does anyone remember the show "When Things were Rotten"? It was Mel Brooks first attempt on the Robin Hood story. It starred Richard Gautier as Robin Hood with Dick Van Patten as Friar Tuck, Bernie Kopell as Alan-a-Dale, Richard Dimitri as Bertram/Renaldo, Henry Polic II as Sheriff, Misty Rowe (from Hee Haw fame) as Maid Marian, David Sabin as Little John, and Ron Rifkin as Prince John.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/06 at 12:03 pm

Does anyone remember the show "When Things were Rotten"? It was Mel Brooks first attempt on the Robin Hood story. It starred Richard Gautier as Robin Hood with Dick Van Patten as Friar Tuck, Bernie Kopell as Alan-a-Dale, Richard Dimitri as Bertram/Renaldo, Henry Polic II as Sheriff, Misty Rowe (from Hee Haw fame) as Maid Marian, David Sabin as Little John, and Ron Rifkin as Prince John.

Cat
The imdb link is http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072585/

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/06 at 12:10 pm

The imdb link is http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072585/

Yeah, I should have included the link. Thanks Philip.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/06 at 12:24 pm

Yeah, I should have included the link. Thanks Philip.

Cat
...and under the circumstances I wish to see it!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/30/06 at 8:20 am

Errol Flynn

Written By: McDonald on 10/11/06 at 10:12 pm

I have seen so many versions of Robin Hood, having been obsessed with the character as a child... but I don't really remember many of the actors. I chose Errol Flynn.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/12/06 at 12:28 am

The new series of Robin Hood has now started on the BBC, and I still have to watch the first episode. I will report back when I do.

Check for new replies or respond here...