inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 60s song which most realistically simulates an LSD trip?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 11:17 am

I know it's a silly question...but anyway, for those with some experience ( ;) ;) ;)), are there any songs which sound just like an LSD trip? I know everyone will have different experiences.etc, but what song (of course it's still just music, so hardly anything in comparison) sort of hints most at the experience? What music do you think was really 'enhanced' by LSD? Not that I'm advocating use of drugs to 'enhance' the listening experience - the stuff can be dangerous.

Don't worry, I'm not planning to experiment (not yet, at least lol, LSD's sort of gone out of fashion anyway)

Subject: Re: 60s song which most accurately simulates an LSD trip?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/06 at 1:58 pm

Never having used LSD, the one song that comes to mind is White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. But I wouldn't know.

Cat

Written By: AmandaSparks on 05/19/06 at 1:00 am

Listen to the Deja Vu album by CSNY or the album I Got Dem Kosmic Blues Again, Mama by Janis Joplin.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/19/06 at 1:02 am

I've never done acid, but I would imagine anything by Cream, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, CSN or Janis Joplin would probably be a good bet.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/19/06 at 10:39 am

Never having used LSD, the one song that comes to mind is White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. But I wouldn't know.

Cat

White Rabbit is an excellent answer.  Good choice.

Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb" comes to mind. 
("Hello, hello, hello....is anybody in there?")

Written By: whistledog on 05/19/06 at 10:43 am

Puff the Magic Dragon - Peter, Paul and Mary ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 6:56 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: lizjagger on 05/19/06 at 10:43 pm

american metaphysical circus- the united states of america

the garden of earthly delights- The united states of america

Tomorrow- strawberry alarm clock

kites are fun- the free design

White rabbit-  jefferson airplane

superlungs- donovan

deja vu- CSN

strawberry fields forever- the beatles

Written By: CeeKay on 05/19/06 at 11:56 pm

The Rainbow Connection and It Isn't Easy Being Green -- Kermit the Frog  8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 3:46 am

The Rainbow Connection and It Isn't Easy Being Green -- Kermit the Frog  8)

Yeah, one could see the psychadelic in 60s and 70s kids shows, like all the bright colours on H.R. Puff'n'Stuff...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/06 at 4:27 am

All though totally denying it, Lucy In The Sky In Diamonds falls into this category, just look a the lyrics or even the inital letters of the song LSD.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 4:44 am

All though totally denying it, Lucy In The Sky In Diamonds falls into this category, just look a the lyrics or even the inital letters of the song LSD.

Well, of course, that is the one most people know...but there far far better examples...

Written By: star500 on 05/21/06 at 10:15 am

I've never, ever used acid, nor do I approve of any kind of recreational drugs, but I think some good acid songs would be:

White Rabbit-Jefferson Airplane

Journey to the Center of Your Mind-Amboys Duke (Not sure about the spelling of the band! :))

Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In-The 5th Dimension

Helter Skelter- The Beatles

Puff the Magic Dragon-Peter, Paul and Mary

Incense and Peppermints- Strawberry Alarm Clock

Those are the only songs I can think of.

Written By: Paul on 05/21/06 at 11:57 am

'Tomorrow Never Knows' - Beatles

'Are You Experienced' - Hendrix

And not strictly in the same league, but worthy of a mention...

'My Friend Jack' - The Smoke
...a long-forgotten piece of pop-psych in which it was claimed that 'My friend Jack eats sugar lumps'...a way of ingesting LSD at the time!

Written By: CeeKay on 05/21/06 at 11:30 pm

Yeah, one could see the psychadelic in 60s and 70s kids shows, like all the bright colours on H.R. Puff'n'Stuff...

Yeah.  Good point.  Now I can see where the idea for Puff'n'Stuff might've started  ;)
(I loved that show).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/22/06 at 9:46 pm

Interesting topic. Just say no Trimac20  8)

I think Paul nailed 2 excellent songs with

Tomorrow Never Knows ~ The Beatles
Are You Experienced ~ Jimi Hendrix       I would have said these 2 for sure.
I'll also say to give credit where credit is due, obvious or not and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds for it's lyrics that paint incredible images in one's mind deserves it's place.
Personally I have to include: I Am The Walrus ~ The Beatles,  3rd Stone From The Sun ~ Jimi Hendrix, Dazed And Confused ~ Led Zeppelin
the use of LSD, acid, mescaline, (psychedelics) was still widespread in the early 70's and songs from that period are also important in my opinion. some early 70's songs
From The Beginning ~ Emerson Lake & Palmer
Whole Lotta Love ~ Led Zeppelin
Gypsy ~ Uriah Heep (incredible Moog synthesizer)
Make Up Your Mind ~ Quatermass (their only album with startling, dramatic Moog/keyboards)  8)

Please forgive me for using the Before the 70's section to post a couple of 70's songs.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 3:51 am

Have you heard the 'West Coast Pop Experimental (or something like that)?' It's a CD of experimental psychadelic music from the 60s L.A. scene with quite a few less well known acid-rock tunes. Some modern music like early Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev also sound very trippy...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/23/06 at 3:53 am

Have you heard the 'West Coast Pop Experimental (or something like that)?' It's a CD of experimental psychadelic music from the 60s L.A. scene with quite a few less well known acid-rock tunes. Some modern music like early Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev also sound very trippy...
never heard of it but will try to find some clips later and see how it is.  8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 5:00 am

never heard of it but will try to find some clips later and see how it is.  8)

My other favourite psychadelic album is 'Psychadalia: Rare Blooms from the English Summer of Love' which features the less known British psych-bands, including Kailedoscope (not the American kaleidoscope), Timebox (one of my fave late 60s groups), Bulldog Breed, the Magic Potions.etc. They are just as good as better known psychadelic groups such as the Small Faces and early Pink Floyd (both of which were still very good).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/25/06 at 1:17 am

My other favourite psychadelic album is 'Psychadalia: Rare Blooms from the English Summer of Love' which features the less known British psych-bands, including Kailedoscope (not the American kaleidoscope), Timebox (one of my fave late 60s groups), Bulldog Breed, the Magic Potions.etc. They are just as good as better known psychadelic groups such as the Small Faces and early Pink Floyd (both of which were still very good).
I listened to 30 sec clips of the songs from this album yesterday and I liked some of them, but I didn't know any of the groups so that made it difficult for me to stay interested.  8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 2:39 am

I listened to 30 sec clips of the songs from this album yesterday and I liked some of them, but I didn't know any of the groups so that made it difficult for me to stay interested.  8)

You need to be a little more open-minded!  ;) I was blown away the first time I heard the album...especially liked 'Gone is the Sandman' - and that seldom happens these days. Try to get your hands on it if you can.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/25/06 at 2:42 am

You need to be a little more open-minded!  ;) I was blown away the first time I heard the album...especially liked 'Gone is the Sandman' - and that seldom happens these days. Try to get your hands on it if you can.
;D  ;D I'll try, really I will.  I'm sure the 30 second clips did not do it justice. I'll keep my eye out for a copy.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 2:47 am

;D  ;D I'll try, really I will.  I'm sure the 30 second clips did not do it justice. I'll keep my eye out for a copy.

Hope you do find it...I found it for a bargain $4 - best $4 I ever spent! It's a pity alot of the good stuff is so hard to find.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/25/06 at 3:26 am

Hope you do find it...I found it for a bargain $4 - best $4 I ever spent! It's a pity alot of the good stuff is so hard to find.
If I find it that cheap, I'll snatch it up quickly.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 3:29 am

If I find it that cheap, I'll snatch it up quickly.

Even if it's full price, it's more than worth it!  ;)

Subject: Re: 60s song which most realistically simulates an LSD trip?

Written By: Tom on 01/02/08 at 2:07 am

I know it's a silly question...but anyway, for those with some experience ( ;) ;) ;)), are there any songs which sound just like an LSD trip? I know everyone will have different experiences.etc, but what song (of course it's still just music, so hardly anything in comparison) sort of hints most at the experience? What music do you think was really 'enhanced' by LSD? Not that I'm advocating use of drugs to 'enhance' the listening experience - the stuff can be dangerous.

Don't worry, I'm not planning to experiment (not yet, at least lol, LSD's sort of gone out of fashion anyway)

Hi

I was searching for the question "Why has LSD gone out of fashion" and stumbled on your question.

Being a child of the sixties, well... let's see... I started with Hendrix, (Are you experienced? album) and went through allmost all of the groups mentioned in that post. Nice tries, but no banana. (Pink Floyd, yeah, Lucy In the Sky, yeah, okay... but some of them were just .. Puff the Magic Dragon was a pot heads song, for pete's sake! (Don't they teach you kids nothing these days in school?) <G>

Obviously, the last hurrah of acid music was the Grateful Dead. 'Morning Dew' on their first album, for starters. The Omoxomo album was way beyond 'real' music, but a dead end. No pun intended but there it was. "Terrapin Station" album and tune. But the one real dose of acid wouild be 'Dark Star' and the parts of their live sets called 'Space'. (You can check out about every show they ever did live on the net, fyi, as they didn't care if people taped thier music. Hell, they would sometimes left the tapers run right off the sound board outputs! They were there to play, and once that was done, it was like dirty dishes after a party, just a little left over stuff standing around and waiting to be picked up and tossed out.

Try the 'Space' from Angels Camp, the night Carlos Santa did 'Good Moring LIttle School Girl' (and no doubt what he wanted to do with her!) Down and dirty, full tilt boogie rock and roll!

Tom

Written By: star80 on 01/02/08 at 3:32 pm

All Along The Watchtower ~ Jimi Hendrix
Purple Haze ~ Jimi Hendrix
Dazed And Confused ~ Led Zeppelin
White Rabbit ~ Jefferson Airplane
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds ~ The Beatles/Elton John
Rocket Man ~ Elton John
Paint It Black ~ The Rolling Stones

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/02/08 at 3:51 pm

"Interstellar Overdrive"-- Pink Floyd, people!!!!!!!!!  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iA7wdO00VI

Written By: star80 on 01/02/08 at 4:14 pm

"Interstellar Overdrive"-- Pink Floyd, people!!!!!!!!!   ::)

I won't even doubt you on that one and I haven't even heard the song, because I think alot of PF's stuff is Acid Music.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/03/08 at 4:46 pm

Anything from; The Court Of The Crimson King....King Crimson

Diamond Hard Blue Apples Of The Moon....The Nice

A Spoonful Of Bromide Helps The Pulse Rate Go Down...Atomic Rooster

Fire...Crazy World Of Arthur Brown

Envelopes Of Yesterday....Pete Sinfield (70's song but still fits)

Written By: gibbo on 01/04/08 at 2:38 am

Have a listen to CSN's Carry On/Questions track and there is a great 60's style organ break that conjures up some kind of LSD trip...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/04/08 at 3:43 am

Have a listen to CSN's Carry On/Questions track and there is a great 60's style organ break that conjures up some kind of LSD trip...
ok, that's a good choice. growing up as a teen in the 70's and not to brag or suggest usage, but I remember using the ultra powerful hallucinogen and listening to Crosby Stills and Nash and they were excellent to listen to, which is the way most of these records are. No song can really come close to the experience, but if they are dramatic and intense, then they can offer just a very minor glimpse of what an LSD trip may have been like.

Written By: gibbo on 01/04/08 at 3:47 am

ok, that's a good choice. growing up as a teen in the 70's and not to brag or suggest usage, but I remember using the ultra powerful hallucinogen and listening to Crosby Stills and Nash and they were excellent to listen to, which is the way most of these records are. No song can really come close to the experience, but if they are dramatic and intense, then they can offer just a very minor glimpse of what an LSD trip may have been like.

Good to see you made it through, despite your best efforts!!  As an aside... I recently saw CSN and while their voices have diminished they were still good. I felt positively young in that particular crowd!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/04/08 at 4:07 am

Good to see you made it through, despite your best efforts!!  As an aside... I recently saw CSN and while their voices have diminished they were still good. I felt positively young in that particular crowd!!
thanks, I lost a few brain cells, and no regrets, it was fun, but thank goodness I'm not a veg. that stuff is scary. I would not recommend it to anyone. too strong and dangerous.  If you are under 40 you would definitely be a youngster at their concert. They have to be close to 60 years old  CSNY toured and were here in California, but the good tix were too expensive. I love their music, they performed at Woodstock, they have a mountain of good songs that endure the test of time. one of our other Australian members just posted a pic of himself with Graham Nash at a book signing there in Sidney i think. the pics are here somewhere. it was only last month.

Written By: gibbo on 01/04/08 at 4:12 am

thanks, I lost a few brain cells, and no regrets, it was fun, but thank goodness I'm not a veg. that stuff is scary. I would not recommend it to anyone. too strong and dangerous.  If you are under 40 you would definitely be a youngster at their concert. They have to be close to 60 years old   CSNY toured and were here in California, but the good tix were too expensive. I love their music, they performed at Woodstock, they have a mountain of good songs that endure the test of time. one of our other Australian members just posted a pic of himself with Graham Nash at a book signing there in Sidney i think. the pics are here somewhere. it was only last month.

I'm actually 47 yrs old. When waiting in the concert line I remarked out loud that I felt young in this line and I think they're handing out pension cards at the entrance gate. Tthe woman in front of me was less than impressed but appreciated the humour nevertheless.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/04/08 at 4:19 am

I'm actually 47 yrs old. When waiting in the concert line I remarked out loud that I felt young in this line and I think they're handing out pension cards at the entrance gate. Tthe woman in front of me was less than impressed but appreciated the humour nevertheless.
;D 47 and you were still the youngster. that's amazing.  lots of gray hair at their concert, I'm sure.  That's the way it is at a lot of concerts like that, and the fans don't wanna get up and stand for the whole show, they need to sit through a lot of it. not as crazy as they used to be. At Paul McCartney concert in 2006 I think, he stopped the show to point out some kid holding a sign that read "MY grandmother saw you perform in 1964?    or something like that and at least he was jovial about the age thing.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/05/08 at 5:28 pm

How could I forget this one.

Careful With That Axe Eugene....Pink Floyd

Written By: karen on 01/05/08 at 7:30 pm

Just heard on the radio today an explanation behind Floyd's Comfortably Numb.  One of them (forget who now) had written most of the tune and was playing it to the group.  Another member said it reminded them of the experience they had had the previous year when they were in hospital and had a bad reaction to some medication.  They then went away and wrote the lyrics.

Written By: holicman on 01/06/08 at 8:10 am

Here are a few not mentioned so far:

Hole in my shoe - Traffic
Wrapping paper -Cream
Tales of Brave Ulysses- Cream
Fire - Crazy world of Arthur Brown

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/08 at 9:19 am

Ok, ok, I was there.  Here are a couple. A lot of the songs of the era, though considered 'phsychedelic" weren't "tripping" songs.  There were songs that were songs for smoking and songs for tripping.  You will note that Hendrix is high(no pun intended) on the list/

Are You Experienced - Hendrix

All Along The Watchtower- Hendix

Purple Haze - Hendrix

Time Has Come Today - Chambers Brothers

White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

Strawberry Fields Forever - Beatles

Written By: Dukeoworc on 01/06/08 at 6:46 pm

Nobody mentioned the whole business of listening to PF's "Dark Side of the Moon" while watching the first 30 or 40 minutes of "The Wizard of Oz." That was often done while dropping acid or smoking marijuana. Actually, although that particular example of synchronization is tried and true, if you watch any video and listen to any music there will often be synchronicity (seemingly meaningful coincidences). It's because the mind is looking for these patterns to come together and mean something, so we find the meaning. Drugs enhance this illusion. Suspended judgment probably has something to do with it. The coincidences seem more awesome. But then, if you smoke enough weed, Barney Rubble begins to look like a really great actor.

Written By: midnite on 01/18/08 at 7:59 pm

Anything by Timothy Leary such as How To Operate Your Brain. Its not really a song, but a scary experience.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/08 at 5:34 am

Nobody mentioned the whole business of listening to PF's "Dark Side of the Moon" while watching the first 30 or 40 minutes of "The Wizard of Oz." That was often done while dropping acid or smoking marijuana. Actually, although that particular example of synchronization is tried and true, if you watch any video and listen to any music there will often be synchronicity (seemingly meaningful coincidences). It's because the mind is looking for these patterns to come together and mean something, so we find the meaning. Drugs enhance this illusion. Suspended judgment probably has something to do with it. The coincidences seem more awesome. But then, if you smoke enough weed, Barney Rubble begins to look like a really great actor.
That was a 70's thing.

A White Shade of Pale is full of euphemisms for partaking in the subject of this thread.

Written By: musicgirl on 02/20/08 at 11:40 pm

Definitely Strawberry Fields Forever. It just sounds so LSD-inspired and tripy (if that's a word). I was listening to it in the car and my mom even commented that it sounds like something you would write while on an LSD trip.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/08 at 3:53 am

...sounds like something you would write while on an LSD trip.
...allegedly?

Written By: Nosebone on 03/02/08 at 10:32 pm

Off the beaten path....,

Old Man Willow - Elephant's Memory
Sleepwalker's Timeless Bridge - Amon Duul II
Auto Salvage - Autosalvage
Cecilia - Czar
Past, Present & Future - Demon Fuzz
A Radio Marrakesch B. Orient Express - Embryo
Summer 67 - Family
White Bird - Its A Beautiful Day
Seventy Five - Touch

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/05/08 at 9:21 am

Off the beaten path....,

Old Man Willow - Elephant's Memory
Sleepwalker's Timeless Bridge - Amon Duul II
Auto Salvage - Autosalvage
Cecilia - Czar
Past, Present & Future - Demon Fuzz
A Radio Marrakesch B. Orient Express - Embryo
Summer 67 - Family
White Bird - Its A Beautiful Day
Seventy Five - Touch

I love Old Man Willow, the scene in Midnight Cowboy in the 'jungle gym' Warholesque Factory-esque loft is one of the defining scenes of the 60s. I mean who said expanding your mind was just a West Coast thing?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/08 at 12:53 pm

Almost anything by the Doors.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/05/08 at 1:24 pm

Almost anything by the Doors.

Cat
definitely a lot of the Doors music.

I listened to In A Gadda Da Vida on my way to work this morning and thought I was on acid  :D    just kidding, it's a great song

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/05/08 at 2:15 pm

That was a 70's thing.

A White Shade of Pale is full of euphemisms for partaking in the subject of this thread.

I'm sooooo glad that someone mentioned that song! That was one of the most mellow psychedellic songs out there.

Also, "Epistle to Dippy" by Donovan and "Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow" by Strawberry Alarm Clock are VLSD Trip Songs as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/08 at 2:16 pm

I'm sooooo glad that someone mentioned that song! That was one of the most mellow psychedellic songs out there.
Not only that, I cannot stand the song!

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/09/08 at 12:18 pm

Not only that, I cannot stand the song!

Huh, I like that song.

What do you think of "Paper Sun"? (Another good LSD Trip Song.)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/22/08 at 11:02 am

definitely a lot of the Doors music.

I listened to In A Gadda Da Vida on my way to work this morning and thought I was on acid  :D    just kidding, it's a great song

Jim would be turning in his grave! Being lumped with the Jefferson Airplane, lol...the Doors never really liked being called Acid rock, they were a straight blues band that dabbled in
rock music, apparently.

Written By: adagio on 06/06/08 at 7:01 pm

I really agree with all those songs on this thread, especially Court of the Crimson King and Pink Floyd.  This doesn't SOUND too trippy, but the lyrics say otherwise...Come Together.

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/21/08 at 2:58 am

Thank Canada for the world introduction to LSD being a recreational drug!
Research at a Saskatewan Hospital led to the substance getting out on the streets
Abram Hoffer
Duncan Blewett
& Humphrey Osmond ...He coined the pharse "Psychedelic"
They believed, and were testing the theory that schizophrenia was caused by the release of too many psychoactive chemicals naturally produced by the patient's brain. They administered the same substances to themselves endeavoring to understand the schizophrenic's world.

Aldous Huxley wrote "The Doors of Perception"...Where the "Doors" got their band name sake from!!!
That book is available at every major university & library

In vented in Sweden by Albert Hofmann
http://www.erowid.org/culture/characters/hofmann_albert/hofmann_albert.shtml

http://psychedelicobscurities.blogspot.com/
IRON BUTTERFY's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

The Peruvian Cactus beats LSD hands down & how would anyone never Experianced possibly know what a good acid trip song sounds like???????????
So much for life in a box!

It was not the kind of drug for just anyone to try , for if your not comfortable with who you are....
Thats why the "Bad Trips"..not for the weak mind!
Mind you when those Drs experimanted with alcoholis with LSD they had a 50% recovery rate!!!
AA has done no better than 10%

Written By: Gardenofeden68 on 06/21/08 at 10:26 pm

Anything by Iron Butterfly. Man, if you never heard of them, you gotta see these guys on youtube (playboy after dark for example). I love that super eastern culture look they sported as did a lot of bands circa 1968-69, with hair down to their shoulders or backs, colorful and striped foreign clothing, and a rainbow background with an attitude like they were always high (and probaly were) while playing.

In da gadda da vida is one of my favorite songs, as my name is the sober pronounciation of it, but another great and underated song by Iron Butterfly that is very LSD-ish is called "Soul Experience". It is on youtube, very catchy and well made song.

Besides them, of course The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Hendrix, etc.

Even I'd go to say Dazed and Confused is kinda acid-ish.

Written By: Daniel on 04/13/10 at 9:13 pm

Having never taken LSD, I would guess that "Timesteps," by Wendy Carlos, for the album, A Clockwork Orange: Wendy Carlos's Complete Original Score is a lot like what I'd imagine an LSD trip for me would be like.

Written By: Fairee07 on 04/13/10 at 9:58 pm

I see some notable listings.

I would like to add Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride".

It always reminds of going on what I imagine would be a trip. It starts off slow and then it gradually becomes groovier until you get to that long guitar solo. Wow, I hear so many sound effects during that part! And then the song sounds sober again (out of the trip) and then it stops as if the party's over.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/10 at 2:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9MtJzqfR_c

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/24/10 at 11:39 am

Frank Zappa: Lumpy Gravy (Parts 1 & 2)
This one also leans into the straight up schizophrenic state!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/31/10 at 9:30 pm

This takes a while to build up, but the music gets really trippy towards the end. Does it realistically simulate an LSD trip? You be the judge.

If nothing else, you've gotta love Mimsy Farmer.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jjnTh-prwo&feature=related

Written By: chloe scrivener on 08/17/12 at 2:23 pm

Every LSD trip is different and an individual experience. The Beatles with Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds is a beautiful representation lyrically. Then theres Incense and Peppermints by Strawberry Alarm Clock. However, unless you've tried LSD you can only really take this stuff with a pinch of salt

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/12 at 7:35 pm

Frank Zappa:  Lumpy Gravy
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apTPXPBMBXk

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/22/12 at 8:11 pm

Strange Brew and White Room-Both by Cream.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/22/12 at 8:13 pm

This takes a while to build up, but the music gets really trippy towards the end. Does it realistically simulate an LSD trip? You be the judge.

If nothing else, you've gotta love Mimsy Farmer.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jjnTh-prwo&feature=related

Looks like YouTube put Mimsy out of her trance.

Written By: warped on 08/24/12 at 12:48 pm

Bobby Vinton's 1964 hit "Mr Lonely"

Original title was to be "Love LSD". This was during Bobby's heavy drug and LSD period, hanging out with Perry Como & Andy Williams. 
Epic records made him change the title and the lyrics.

Bobby: "Me, Andy and f__ ing psycho man Perry wanted to change our names to "Lysergic", "Acid" and "Diethylamide" back then.
I wrote a song called "Love LSD". F***ing record company hated it. F***ing ayholes. Had to change the title. Awww..WTF.. It was a hit anyways."

Bobby: "I saw a vision of Lucy in the f***ing sky with goddamn diamonds 3 years before Lennon did. And let me tell ya, Lucy was really, really good."

(yes, i'm just kidding)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/30/12 at 1:38 pm

White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane comes to mind when I think of trippy stuff.  :o :o  Also Somebody To Love comes to mind.  :o :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/12 at 8:37 pm

on top of spaghetti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPHtD1132JE&feature=related

Written By: warped on 08/31/12 at 8:41 pm

on top of spaghetti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPHtD1132JE&feature=related

The effect of that powerful hallucinogenic drug is evident for the first 2:39 of the song. They were really gone...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/12 at 2:49 am

Here is a composer I love from the sixties.  Richard Maxfield (1927--1968)
Terry Riley allegedly introduced him to hallucinogens.  Maxfield was part of the
Fluxus movement in NYC and was a favorite at Happenings up at Yoko Ono's place

On "Bacchanale" (1963) Maxfield uses both electronic and treated instruments as well as
recordings from elsewhere, such as a Flamenco group, and a beat poet reading at
the Five Spot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvKp9cFhw7o

"Pastoral Symphony" (1960) is another one of my favorites and has more of an early
electronic music on tape sound to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-0BBbigL4

Maxfield left behind a small body of work, all of it excellent--and trippy.  He died at the age of 42 in 1968
by falling out a second story window.  It might have been suicide, it might have been accident, some
speculate Maxfield was under the influences of psychedelics at the time.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/12 at 6:52 am

Peter Paul And Mary-Puff (The Magic Dragon)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/12 at 7:03 am

Peter Paul And Mary-Puff (The Magic Dragon)
After the song's initial success, speculation arose -- as early as a 1964 article in Newsweek -- that the song contained veiled references to smoking marijuana. For example, the word "paper" in the name of Puff's human friend (Jackie Paper) was said to be a reference to rolling papers, and the word "dragon" was interpreted as "draggin'," i.e. inhaling smoke; similarly, the name "Puff" was alleged to be a reference to taking a "puff" on a joint. The supposition was claimed to be common knowledge in a letter by a member of the public to The New York Times in 1984.

The authors of the song have repeatedly rejected this urban legend and have strongly and consistently denied that they intended any references to drug use. Peter Yarrow has frequently explained that "Puff" is about the hardships of growing older and has no relationship to drug-taking. He has also said of the song that it "never had any meaning other than the obvious one" and is about the "loss of innocence in children".

In 1976, Yarrow's bandmate Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary also upheld the song's innocence. He recorded a version of the song at the Sydney Opera House in March 1976, in which he set up a fictitious trial scene. The Prosecutor accused the song of being about marijuana, but Puff and Jackie protested. The judge finally leaves the case to the jury (the Opera House audience) and says if they will sing along with the song, it will be acquitted. The audience joins in with Stookey, and at the end of their sing-along, the judge declares "case dismissed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/12 at 11:31 pm

The lyrics to Puff were written in the 1950s before pot slang entered the vernacular.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/13/12 at 5:26 am

Never taken LSD but maybe Day In The Life? That song trips me out.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/12 at 10:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUDwueA9o6k&feature=relmfu

Written By: vikingtwin5 on 10/21/12 at 2:43 pm

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun -- Pink Floyd
Journey From Eden -- Steve Miller Band
early Tangerine Dream

Written By: hot_wax on 11/18/12 at 2:15 am

The Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida" has it's moments of a trip, George Harrison's "With you, Without you" is a trip, even "Lovely Rita" is about someone on a trip, like "Lucy...". The one song I think was the best ever song of an LSD trip was a song played in the movie "Woodstock", it was played when he was in the van with the hippy couple doing his first LSD trip, I don't know who was singing that song when he was tripping out, but I was sucked into the whole scene with him doing his trip, it is the best ever psychedelic song I ever heard and I don't know who made it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/18/12 at 11:34 am

The Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida" has it's moments of a trip, George Harrison's "With you, Without you" is a trip, even "Lovely Rita" is about someone on a trip, like "Lucy...". The one song I think was the best ever song of an LSD trip was a song played in the movie "Woodstock", it was played when he was in the van with the hippy couple doing his first LSD trip, I don't know who was singing that song when he was tripping out, but I was sucked into the whole scene with him doing his trip, it is the best ever psychedelic song I ever heard and I don't know who made it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRILyCLHXDE

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 11/18/12 at 12:01 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRILyCLHXDE

Cat

Hi Cat, that's it!! the best trip song I've heard and it took over 40 years to hear it for the first time in full. I'm going to find that album today and buy it. Thank you!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/18/12 at 12:26 pm

Hi Cat, that's it!! the best trip song I've heard and it took over 40 years to hear it for the first time in full. I'm going to find that album today and buy it. Thank you!

No problem. I did a little Google search to find it for you. Gotta love Google.  ;)

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 11/18/12 at 7:08 pm

No problem. I did a little Google search to find it for you. Gotta love Google.  ;)

Cat

Thank you again.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/19/12 at 7:19 am

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun -- Pink Floyd

How bout just anything from Piper At the Gates.  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/19/12 at 10:47 pm

This song, arguably, simulates a bad LSD trip.  8-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewAhqjfMiEY

Written By: hot_wax on 11/20/12 at 8:22 pm

Cat, I just now purchased this album/CD from CD Universe, this is the best album I've bought in this genre in over 40 years. I don't know why , but I never heard of the group or any of their songs on radio, ever, why? 1967 they were in their prime in San Fransisco, but never made it in the NY area?, even when FM band stations was in it's infancy and the stations that played "hippy" music was considered underground stations, I don't recall their music. Thanks for turning me on to them, they bring me back those crazy years, I'm a kid again!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/12 at 10:25 am

Cat, I just now purchased this album/CD from CD Universe, this is the best album I've bought in this genre in over 40 years. I don't know why , but I never heard of the group or any of their songs on radio, ever, why? 1967 they were in their prime in San Fransisco, but never made it in the NY area?, even when FM band stations was in it's infancy and the stations that played "hippy" music was considered underground stations, I don't recall their music. Thanks for turning me on to them, they bring me back those crazy years, I'm a kid again!!!

Again, I am glad I could help.

Cat

Written By: warped on 04/14/13 at 8:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8a_GwaEIY

Jimi Hendrix & Jim Morrison.
Might have been on LSD while singing this.

Written By: Howard on 04/15/13 at 6:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8a_GwaEIY

Jimi Hendrix & Jim Morrison.
Might have been on LSD while singing this.

That sure is one hell of a trip.

Written By: warped on 04/15/13 at 10:23 am

That sure is one hell of a trip.

It's pretty weird. The song might belong in the thread (don't remember where it is)  "Old songs that had curse words in it", something like that.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/25/13 at 6:43 pm

I would vote for "The Rain, The Park and Other Things", followed closely by "MacArthur Park".

SOmeone left the cake out in the rain?  Really?

Written By: gibbo on 04/26/13 at 1:27 am

Try Silver Apples - Oscillations (very trippy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDk-PGRMMw4

Written By: Howard on 04/26/13 at 5:32 am

Wow, you're right about that.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/13 at 10:01 pm

White Noise: Love Without Sound (1969)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6pTdzt7BiI

Featuring Delia Derbyshire of "Doctor Who" theme fame.

Written By: Paul on 06/25/13 at 1:57 pm

White Noise: Love Without Sound (1969)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6pTdzt7BiI

Featuring Delia Derbyshire of "Doctor Who" theme fame.

Never quite achieved the recognition she deserved, that woman...

Even though Ron Grainer's name appears as the author of the 'Dr. Who' theme to this day, his version was nothing like the end result after Delia played around with it - however, as she was a BBC employee at the time, she was expressly refused co-composer credit...

Written By: Howard on 06/25/13 at 2:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCDPlU6ioZU

Tommy Roe-Dizzy

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/13 at 6:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCDPlU6ioZU

Tommy Roe-Dizzy

This song always reminds me of my dad. My oldest sister used to play this song all the time and my dad used to say, "This song is making me dizzy."

Cat

Written By: warped on 06/25/13 at 6:11 pm

Pink Floyd ~ Matilda Mother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BZNWsFTaoY

Written By: Howard on 06/26/13 at 6:36 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3_S-YaRLa8

Strawberry Alarm Clock-Incense And Peppermints

Written By: warped on 07/20/13 at 3:48 pm

Status Quo ~  Pictures Of Matchstick men

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UusT9edo-0E

Check for new replies or respond here...