inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are early '60s babies Boomers or Gen Xers?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 1:13 am

I consider people born in the 1958-1963 period to be tail-end Boomers, with some X elements.

Subject: Re: Are early '60s babies Boomers or Gen Xers?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:00 pm

1964 is generally considered the start of Gen X. Think someone like Courtney Love.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/20/06 at 12:08 am

I consider people born in the 1958-1963 period to be tail-end Boomers, with some X elements.

'59 -- I'm definitely a Boomer.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 1:20 am

Late boomers, they're still totally immersed in boomer-type culture but not so adamant about it. And they're the people deepest into being part of the '70s in a teen way, which is IMO in some ways more boomer than the '60s, showing the self-centeredness at the core of boomer culture. I think they're too young for the early '60s, though, so they don't get all the changes of the mid-'60s like somebody my parents age born in 1955 age does.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/21/06 at 1:22 am

They're definitely boomers.

Written By: 1993 on 05/24/06 at 11:40 pm

1964 is generally considered the start of Gen X. Think someone like Courtney Love.

Eddie Vedder was born in 1964 too.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 2:48 am

Eddie Vedder was born in 1964 too.

Yeah, 42 seems so old...

Cobain was born in '67

Written By: schmartypantz on 05/26/06 at 10:53 am

I consider them to be..  youngwhippersnappers  ;D

Written By: 1993 on 05/27/06 at 12:35 am

Krist Novoselic in 1965

Kurt and Billy Corgan were born 3 weeks apart I think.

Written By: belladonna on 06/06/06 at 5:23 am

It varies according to whom is doing the writing but typically baby boomers are from the years 1945 to 1964.  Those of us born from 58 to 64 are also called shadow boomers.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/09/06 at 5:02 pm

My boyfriend was born on October 9th 1963, so I think he's more of a Gen X-er, although he had many influences from his baby boomer siblings (being that all 4 of them were born before him).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/06 at 5:42 pm

My boyfriend was born on October 9th 1963, so I think he's more of a Gen X-er, although he had many influences from his baby boomer siblings (being that all 4 of them were born before him).

I had a similar discussion with Carlos. He didn't think that I was a baby boomer and I said, "All my siblings are and aren't I in the same generation as my siblings?" He couldn't argue with that.  ;D

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/09/06 at 6:05 pm

I had a similar discussion with Carlos. He didn't think that I was a baby boomer and I said, "All my siblings are and aren't I in the same generation as my siblings?" He couldn't argue with that.  ;D

Cat

Exactly, I mean, those influences are really hard to deny, as you lived with them for many years and grew up with their tastes. One thing though, my boyfriend's siblings are practically worlds apart from his way of life  All 4 of his siblings smoke except him, all four take after their parent's behavoir, where he has totally distanced himself from that bar-hopping, chain smoking, swingin' lifestyle. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/06 at 12:18 am

I suppose it depends on the individual, but I would say a person born in 1963 is much more likely to identify with X-ers than Boomers. My parents were pre-Boomer by a few years, but repudiated "The Silent Generation," and were very much Boomer.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/10/06 at 1:00 am

I suppose it depends on the individual, but I would say a person born in 1963 is much more likely to identify with X-ers than Boomers. My parents were pre-Boomer by a few years, but repudiated "The Silent Generation," and were very much Boomer.

Yeah, I think a 'true' Boomer should have at least remembered Beatlemania from their childhood, and came of age by the time Woodstock, the Moon Landing.etc rolled around. Someone born in 1963 would have only 'come of age' in the 80s, past the golden period of the 60s-70s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/10/06 at 4:56 pm

Alot of people my age, born around 1989 and 1990, have parents born in the 1961-1964 period, particularly if they're the oldest in the family, and they seem more to be of the latter "yuppie, '70s teen generation" of 1958-1963.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 3:05 am

Alot of people my age, born around 1989 and 1990, have parents born in the 1961-1964 period, particularly if they're the oldest in the family, and they seem more to be of the latter "yuppie, '70s teen generation" of 1958-1963.

What, if any, do you think is the inherent difference in kids raised by Boomers and Gen-Xers?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/14/06 at 5:43 pm

A lot of my friends had young parents compared to mine. They used to say my parents were old, just because they were born in 1949 and 1952  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/14/06 at 5:44 pm

A lot of my friends had young parents compared to mine. They used to say my parents were old, just because they were born in 1949 and 1952  ;D

I had the same problem.  My parents were married 10 years before they had me, so when I was younger, they were a lot older than a lot of my friends' parents.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/06 at 6:09 pm

My mother was 33 when she had me and my dad was 30 (of course they had 5 other kids before I came around). So, everyone used to say that my parents were OLD!!! Especially us.  ;D ;D. We used to joke about my mother growing up with George Washington. The only difference between them is that George has BOTH feet in the grave and my mother has 1 foot in the grave and 1 foot on the banana peel.  :D :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/14/06 at 6:14 pm

I had the same problem.  My parents were married 10 years before they had me, so when I was younger, they were a lot older than a lot of my friends' parents.

Yeah, I couldn't understand why they viewed my parents so old, but when I think about it, I guess someone born between 1960-1962 could of  been relatively in their early 20's to have a baby in 1981/82, so to say you had parents born in the '40s and '50s does sound old, especially to young kids.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/14/06 at 6:17 pm

My mother was 33 when she had me and my dad was 30 (of course they had 5 other kids before I came around). So, everyone used to say that my parents were OLD!!! Especially us.  ;D ;D. We used to joke about my mother growing up with George Washington. The only difference between them is that George has BOTH feet in the grave and my mother has 1 foot in the grave and 1 foot on the banana peel.  :D :D ;D ;D

Cat

Our parents share the same age difference. My mom was 30 and my dad was just shy of 33 years old (I was born in May and he turned 33 in August). I was the youngest, as well. But, only out of 2 kids.

;D Ohh, that's hilarious about 1 foot in the grave and 1 in on the Banana peel.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 5:00 am

Yeah, I couldn't understand why they viewed my parents so old, but when I think about it, I guess someone born between 1960-1962 could of  been relatively in their early 20's to have a baby in 1981/82, so to say you had parents born in the '40s and '50s does sound old, especially to young kids.

Indeed, there was a pattern of many Baby Boomers deciding to have children later in life (they were the precursors to the Yuppies) for lifestyle/other reasons, hence it is not common for many in my generation to have parents born in the 40s and 50s (I think the average is parents born in the 50s). Another pattern is leave long gaps between having second and third children - I have a cousin who is about 35, and another who is barely 2.

Check for new replies or respond here...