inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite pre-'50s decade?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 2:13 am

I'd say the 1920s or 1940s.

Subject: Re: Favorite pre-'50s decade?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:00 pm

I used to ignore the 50s as a rather boring decade, but it certainly does have its own appeal...but the best is still probably the booze-soaked 1920s! Decadent times they were, from Chicago to Berlin. And there was such a sense of 'carefreeness' in the inter-war years which could never be re-captured. Sure, places like Chicago were infested by thugs, but it was a time of discovery; the wireless radio, the motor car - such classic times.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/19/06 at 8:35 pm

1940s

Written By: lizjagger on 05/19/06 at 10:19 pm

1890s- the victorian era

Written By: woops on 05/21/06 at 2:25 am

1940's, when  the several of the best Looney Tunes were made  8)  :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 9:04 am

I used to ignore the 50s as a rather boring decade, but it certainly does have its own appeal...but the best is still probably the booze-soaked 1920s! Decadent times they were, from Chicago to Berlin. And there was such a sense of 'carefreeness' in the inter-war years which could never be re-captured. Sure, places like Chicago were infested by thugs, but it was a time of discovery; the wireless radio, the motor car - such classic times.

It's kind of ironic how there was probably more business in bars.etc in the prohibition days then the austere 30s, when the depression hit...

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 9:05 am

It's kind of ironic how there was probably more business in bars.etc in the prohibition days then the austere 30s, when the depression hit...

Technically the Great Depression began with the Stock Market crash in '29, but I'm just being pedantic...

Written By: searching1980s on 06/12/06 at 11:26 am

The forties, because of WWII and all the changes it brought  -- women in the workplace, stars and directors working for the military, Americans experiencing Ally's cultures, etc. -- plus the last heyday of men in hats, women in gloves, great music peaking and lots of new music rising and recorded, the post-war building and baby booms, women realizing they might not want to go back into the kitchen -- wow, and so much of it caught on film for us to see and hear.  I have to admit the women's fashions are something I'm sorry I missed. 
Of course if you asked me on another day, after watching different movies and listening to other musicians, I might say the thirties -- but there is less preserved from that era so I'm more in the dark.

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 06/12/06 at 11:44 am

I don't know; I like alot!  I voted for 1900s (i.e., the decade, the "naughts"!) but that was off the cuff.  I think I'd have a hard time splitting the difference between all these, frankly.  And if I thought about it more, trying to consider everything, I'd probably come up with something different.  Easily I could choose the '40s.  Not sure about the '30s, except easily the cars would be my favorite of all!  I avoided the '10s only because of the Great War and the influenza.  Hard choice!

Written By: searching1980s on 06/12/06 at 12:07 pm

I don't know; I like alot!  I voted for 1900s (i.e., the decade, the "naughts"!) but that was off the cuff.  I think I'd have a hard time splitting the difference between all these, frankly.  And if I thought about it more, trying to consider everything, I'd probably come up with something different.  Easily I could choose the '40s.  Not sure about the '30s, except easily the cars would be my favorite of all!  I avoided the '10s only because of the Great War and the influenza.  Hard choice!

O yeah, the cars! The forties were pretty cool for cars too.  But so were the thirties.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/16/06 at 1:31 am

I chose the 1940s.  I think that while the war certainly shaped and affected the entire decade, after the war.....there was this feeling of promise, this feeling of anything can happen now.  I can't remember a decade having that same kind of feeling.  The music was great (I love big band music), I love the clothes (I'm going to find some saddle shoes if it kills me) and one of these days I want to drive a Studebaker, even if it's just for 1 hour and it's not even my car.

Written By: mandamoo on 06/16/06 at 7:38 am

1920's

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/16/06 at 4:59 pm

I was actually torn between all of them, but I chose the 1940's because it experienced less turmoil than the 1930's and '20s due to the depression. The 1890s-1910's almost seem incomprehensible to compare to the time I'm living in now. I LOVE the fashion from that time, but to live in that time would not have been quite as easy. For the 1940's - Movies were at their best, TV was becoming a new novelty, the nation was thriving after the war, and music was jump jiving...

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/06 at 4:41 am

I chose the 1940s.  I think that while the war certainly shaped and affected the entire decade, after the war.....there was this feeling of promise, this feeling of anything can happen now.  I can't remember a decade having that same kind of feeling.  The music was great (I love big band music), I love the clothes (I'm going to find some saddle shoes if it kills me) and one of these days I want to drive a Studebaker, even if it's just for 1 hour and it's not even my car.

The 40s had nothing on the 20s. The 1920s was a time of promise, the 'Roaring Twenties' were the calm before the storm.

Written By: Carl on 06/30/06 at 10:47 am

used to ignore the 50s as a rather boring decade, but it certainly does have its own appeal...but the best is still probably the booze-soaked 1920s! Decadent times they were, from Chicago to Berlin. And there was such a sense of 'carefreeness' in the inter-war years which could never be re-captured. Sure, places like Chicago were infested by thugs, but it was a time of discovery; the wireless radio, the motor car - such classic times.

Heck, the 50s was when Rock N' Roll was made famous! Love the 50s!

Next I'd say the 'Roaring' 20s! People seemed to have a great time then

Written By: hot_wax on 07/02/06 at 11:12 pm

Since it's our country's birthday this week, you think the 1770's was an interesting decade to live in?

"Happy Birthday USA"

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/03/06 at 2:23 pm

Since it's our country's birthday this week, you think the 1770's was an interesting decade to live in?

"Happy Birthday USA"

It would have been cool for maybe a day, then I'd want out  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/03/06 at 10:13 pm

It would have been cool for maybe a day, then I'd want out  ;D

Yeah, I feel the same way about many past eras, even the 60s and 70s. It'd be nice to experience it and have the cook's tour, but I don't think I'd want to live back then on a day to day basis...

Written By: hot_wax on 07/04/06 at 8:03 pm

Yeah, I feel the same way about many past eras, even the 60s and 70s. It'd be nice to experience it and have the cook's tour, but I don't think I'd want to live back then on a day to day basis...

I'd live the 60's all over and over again, as crazy and scary as it was for me, it was the best time of  my life, I wouldn't change a minute of it!...it was not a boring decade, you would have loved it.

HW

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/09/06 at 6:31 am

I'd live the 60's all over and over again, as crazy and scary as it was for me, it was the best time of  my life, I wouldn't change a minute of it!...it was not a boring decade, you would have loved it.

HW

Of course I would have! :)

Written By: Fred on 07/14/06 at 5:16 pm

Yeah I'd definatly go with the forties. I could live in that decade. As previously mentioned movies were beginning to become more popular along with many classics being made in that decade.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/14/06 at 5:21 pm

I think living in the '60s and '70s wouldn't be all too different from living in the '80s, so I wouldn't mind it too much. I'd just have to wait a little longer to play with a computer.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/16/06 at 11:39 am

I think living in the '60s and '70s wouldn't be all too different from living in the '80s, so I wouldn't mind it too much. I'd just have to wait a little longer to play with a computer.

Bah, you can take your 80s...I'll be content living in the halycon Post War decades...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/06 at 6:48 pm

I say the 1890's. William McKinley? Horse's? Carriges? What else could you ask for 8) ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 6:55 pm

I say the 1890's. William McKinley? Horse's? Carriges? What else could you ask for 8) ;D

and gun slingin' cow boys - hee haw

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/06 at 6:58 pm

and gun slingin' cow boys - hee haw

That's right, and not these sissy modern cowboys, oh no. REAL cowboys ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 7:19 pm

That's right, and not these sissy modern cowboys, oh no. REAL cowboys ;D

Yeah, and no sissy girls either

http://kidshistory.tripod.com/annie2.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/06 at 12:43 pm

It depends on what you are looking at. Around the turn of the century (1890s-1920s), there were MAJOR problems. Most things in the U.S. were run by robber barons and most workers had to work 6 days a week for piddley wages. In the teens and 20s, you had the Red Scare (which was hyped up as usual) because of the Russian Revolution and WWI. And of course Prohibition. The 30s brought the Great Depression (but minimum wage was implemented) and the 40s brought WWII.

However, each decade brought wonderous new inventions. The 1890s saw wide spread of the automoble and telephone (both were invented before but in the last decade of the nineteenth century, both were more popular). Movies were starting to come out as well as phonographs and radio. New advances in medicine took place. While many of these new inventions were only for the very rich at first, by the second decade of the twentith century, just about everyone had them. And of course women final got the vote in 1920.

For me, in terms of seeing all sorts of new inventions, I would say the 1890s would be the best decade. In terms of have fun, I would say the Roaring Twenties (even though you had to make due with "bathtub gin".) And in terms of the music/movies, I would say the 40s.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/06 at 4:37 pm

1920's

I'm with you on that...

I love watching silent films from that time period!  :D

Written By: chattypatty1948 on 07/30/06 at 11:36 pm

If you are wanting saddle shoes, you can order them from Pay-Less over the webb!! You can even get the great poodle        skirt to go with the  shoes by looking at party and costume rentals!!        GOOD LUCK!!!!!        ChattyPatty                               

Written By: freeridemt on 08/01/06 at 12:41 am

I'll take the 40's.
The music, The Dorsey's, Benny Goodman,Glen Miller and the Andrew sisters.
Then for movies Cagney, Bogey, Taft, Edgar G, Rita, Betty Grable(One of the major Pin up queens back then).
For the comedies Abbott& Costello, The Stooges, Hope,Kaye,Crosby and the Dead End Kids( though they started in the late 30's they became more famous in the 40's They later became the East Side Kids,then the Bowery Boys)
Even through the 40's were a hard time cause of the war, many good things came out of that decade.
My other choice would have been the 1870's even though that one wasn't listed. North America was still being  explored then.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/03/06 at 7:24 pm

I voted for the 1900s because its a time I've always wished I could see. The turn of the 20th century..and everything that was going on.

--
Dave.

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/05/06 at 4:01 pm

I'd say the 40s if it were not for a few unfortunate events like Pearl Harbor, WWII, the holocaust, Hiroshima and Nagasaki (61 years ago tomorrow btw). The era contibuted a lot to the development of America as a global economic  power. Plus it was the last era in western society when women could be considered beautiful without being a size 6 or smaller. The twenties seemed a little excessive and frankly, I like alcohol on occasion and would not want it to be illegal for me to consume some. The fin de siecle period of 1890-1910 always fascinates me too..esp since growing up in Boston so many buildings are from this era. I also wonder what people back then thought of what the 20th century would be like, much as we are slowly but surely marching into the 21st. What would a person of  1906 think of 2006? The gay nineties seemed to be a good decade too and prosperous. Honestly, while it would be interesting to spend a day as an accidental tourist of sorts in any time in history, any deacde pre-1890s honestly would seem rather depressing. Until this century, people still only had an average life expectancy of 45 and died of rather mundane illnesses. I am not materialistic, but I like cleaning products and being clean, so any time before the era of modern toilets, bathing, and soap would not be the time for me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 5:10 am

^ Alcohol may have been 'illegal' in the 1920s, by believe me, more of the stuff was flowin' from the taps in the 20s than the 1930s. Artistically, the 1920s totally blow the 1930s and 1940s away. You had Art Decor, Cubism, Modern Art - I loved alot of 20s fashion (especially the ladies fashion, which had a forcefully 'modern' look in that period). Dances like the Charleston. It was the period of jazz, the great post-Impressionists, artists, poets.etc. The war overshadowed everything else for not only 1939-1945 but the rest of the decade, which was a very modernist, 'functionist/objectivist' period in history.

Check for new replies or respond here...