inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Frontman of the 60s...

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 4:36 am

Not in terms of how much you like the band/music, but of the frontman himself based on charisma, crowd-control, mistuque.etc. Of course while Jim Morrison was mystical to a degree, Hendrix was an all out showman (while Jagger was a posuer). Anyway, choose from the list and give reasons why...

Subject: Re: Best Frontman of the 60s...

Written By: schmartypantz on 05/26/06 at 10:56 am

I takin' Mick.
:)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 9:50 pm

I takin' Mick.
:)

bah, the batty poseur... ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/26/06 at 9:51 pm

Jim Morrison. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 9:59 pm

Jim Morrison. 

Don't get me started gushing on Mr. Mojo Risin', he's my idol, even if he was a dick at times (trust me, he was!)

Written By: 1993 on 05/27/06 at 12:36 am

Morrison was overrated imho, I'm going with Daltry.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/27/06 at 1:44 am

Morrison first.

Hendricks second. 

Written By: danootaandme on 05/27/06 at 4:49 am

From one who was there

Morrison was the man to see, hands down, without debate.  Mick, you may like his music, but until Tina Turner
taught him how to move he was just singing and squirming up on stage(love the music, hated the squirm).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/27/06 at 7:23 am

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/jim.jpg

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/27/06 at 7:46 am

From one who was there

Morrison was the man to see, hands down, without debate.  Mick, you may like his music, but until Tina Turner
taught him how to move he was just singing and squirming up on stage(love the music, hated the squirm).

You saw Morrison??!! Man, I'd die if I saw him in the flesh (and I'm a straight guy, lol). Yeah, tell it as it is. Mick Jagger's nothing in comparison.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/27/06 at 8:42 am

You saw Morrison??!! Man, I'd die if I saw him in the flesh (and I'm a straight guy, lol). Yeah, tell it as it is. Mick Jagger's nothing in comparison.

As a matter of fact, I saw all of the above.  Yes I'm bragging  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/27/06 at 8:56 pm

Mick definitely

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/27/06 at 9:04 pm

As a matter of fact, I saw all of the above.  Yes I'm bragging   :)
I would brag too Danoota, if I had had the pleasure of seeing all these legends live in concert.  8) You've seen some of the best, to be sure.
I'd add Robert Plant as (other), but ya might fight me on that one as I know from past experience.  ;D

Mick definitely
I think Mick is awesome, from the 60's until now, and he's still throwin' down!!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/27/06 at 9:08 pm

I would brag too Danoota, if I had had the pleasure of seeing all these legends live in concert.  8) You've seen some of the best, to be sure.
I'd add Robert Plant as (other), but ya might fight me on that one as I know from past experience.  ;D
I think Mick is awesome, from the 60's until now, and he's still throwin' down!!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Yeah, Robert would be next. Gawd, that man is still sexay!!!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/27/06 at 9:49 pm

this one's for you Tanya1976
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/PagePlant.jpg
I think Led Zep did most of their touring in the early 70's, but they were around late 60's for sure.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/27/06 at 10:22 pm

I think Led Zep did most of their touring in the early 70's, but they were around late 60's for sure.

a-thank you, Love!!!

Damn, where's a mud shark when you need one?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/27/06 at 10:55 pm

Led Zep formed out of the New Yardbirds in about 1968, and released their debut Led Zep I in early 1969. I think the peak of their popularity was about 1970-1975.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/28/06 at 8:12 am

::) Why Mr Badfinger whatever do you mean? (goes away with gnashing of teeth mumbling "Plant,that second string d*ckhead)  

Although he wasn't my cup of tea I did have quite a few friends who absolutely loved Plant, after Morrison died, for them, he was the man.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/28/06 at 11:02 am

Robert Plant is the effing man.  His voice is AMAZING.  Listen to any live recording of Since I've Been Loving You......that'll show you.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/28/06 at 1:13 pm

::) Why Mr Badfinger whatever do you mean? (goes away with gnashing of teeth mumbling "Plant,that second string d*ckhead)    

Although he wasn't my cup of tea I did have quite a few friends who absolutely loved Plant, after Morrison died, for them, he was the man.
;D  ;D actually, after a conversation about plagiarism and things, i looked up many articles and I read some stuff and understood where you were coming from regarding some of Zep's music. I still luv the bastards, but mostly the recorded stuff, I love live music, but Robert just over compensates sometimes when their is instrumental solos and i guess he feels hes gotta be doing something and it gets a little weird at times, but I love their first 6 albums immensly

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 3:26 am

;D  ;D actually, after a conversation about plagiarism and things, i looked up many articles and I read some stuff and understood where you were coming from regarding some of Zep's music. I still luv the bastards, but mostly the recorded stuff, I love live music, but Robert just over compensates sometimes when their is instrumental solos and i guess he feels hes gotta be doing something and it gets a little weird at times, but I love their first 6 albums immensly

Yeah, the Zep, like all 'great' bands, weren't averse to ripping off other people's music. But the Page/Plant songwriting partnership still gave us so many great, original songs.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/29/06 at 3:59 am

Yeah, the Zep, like all 'great' bands, weren't averse to ripping off other people's music. But the Page/Plant songwriting partnership still gave us so many great, original songs.
Indeed they have, many, many good ones.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 4:15 am

Indeed they have, many, many good ones.

Like the Who, the lead guitarist Jimmy Page was probably more famous than the frontman (the same with Daltrey and Townshend) which I thought was quite interesting.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/29/06 at 4:27 am

Like the Who, the lead guitarist Jimmy Page was probably more famous than the frontman (the same with Daltrey and Townshend) which I thought was quite interesting.

again you've touched on a truth for me, in that Jimmy Page's guitar work is what hooked me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 4:53 am

again you've touched on a truth for me, in that Jimmy Page's guitar work is what hooked me.

Yes, Page was the master. In terms of sheer technical mastery he probably surpassed Hendrix and probably equalled Clapton. His titantic solos were what lifted Led Zep up into the upper echelons of the Rock hierarchy. Not to downplay Plant's vocal aerobatics, of course, which were nothing short of amazing. He'd obvious take a book out of the Old 'Blues Mama's' style, a.k.a Big Mamma Thornton, Janis Joplin.etc. which was much emulated by later rock singers.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/29/06 at 11:31 am

Yes, Page was the master. In terms of sheer technical mastery he probably surpassed Hendrix and probably equalled Clapton. His titantic solos were what lifted Led Zep up into the upper echelons of the Rock hierarchy. Not to downplay Plant's vocal aerobatics, of course, which were nothing short of amazing. He'd obvious take a book out of the Old 'Blues Mama's' style, a.k.a Big Mamma Thornton, Janis Joplin.etc. which was much emulated by later rock singers.

I disagree with surpassing Hendrix. I also disagree with Janis Joplin being equated with Old Blues Mama's style. She emulated them, not originated the style by any means. So to put Janis in the league with Big Mamma Thornton is a travesty.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/06 at 11:34 am

Definitely Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)

Written By: lizjagger on 05/29/06 at 5:29 pm

Jim Morrison and 'my dad' Mick Jagger

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 10:35 pm

I disagree with surpassing Hendrix. I also disagree with Janis Joplin being equated with Old Blues Mama's style. She emulated them, not originated the style by any means. So to put Janis in the league with Big Mamma Thornton is a travesty.

I'm sure Ms. Janis would have agreed with your sentiment that she was not comparable to her idol Big Mama Thornton, being so humbled and all.

Hendrix as a guitar player probably had more 'soul' than Page, but in terms of finger-work there's very little in it. Of course I love Hendrix, but I can't really choose between who I 'like' better. Both great guitarists who wrote some very good music.

Subject: Best Frontman of the 60s...

Written By: Dude111 on 02/18/23 at 1:07 am

It was jard for me to pick between Jimmy and Jimi!

I picked Jimi though......

Check for new replies or respond here...