inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Doors Thread

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 4:14 am

Discuss anything related to the original Doors...and no, we won't tell you where to find free Doors mp3's online... :)

Subject: Re: Doors Thread

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/06 at 11:43 am

Elvis may have been the king of Rock-n-Roll but Jim Morrison was THE GOD!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/29/06 at 3:28 pm

I remember my first school dance, maybe it was in 1969, I was in the 8th grade and we were having it in a classroom and we had a record player to play 45's and someone threw on Hello, I Love You by The Doors and I went crazy and was dancing like a fool.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/29/06 at 5:27 pm

Has any one seen Brett Meisner's picture of the ghost of Jim Morrison.
It is on rockandrollbadboy.com, sorry I don't know how to post a link.
When I first saw the picture it was eerie but the more I look at it, it
just seems too perfect. oh well you decide.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/06 at 7:25 pm

Has any one seen Brett Meisner's picture of the ghost of Jim Morrison.
It is on rockandrollbadboy.com, sorry I don't know how to post a link.
When I first saw the picture it was eerie but the more I look at it, it
just seems too perfect. oh well you decide.

I just copy and paste the address from the site.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 05/29/06 at 7:35 pm

http://www.rockandrollbadboy.com/hollywood_diaries/ghost_of_jim_morrison/

Hey it worked, Thanks Cat. This is the link I first saw the picture.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/29/06 at 7:42 pm

Thats kind of spooky loki13, but I'd love to pay a visit to the grave and get my pic taken there.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/29/06 at 7:47 pm

I wasn't that big of a fan of their later stuff as I was of their earlier stuff.

People Are Strange
Riders On The Storm
Roadhouse Blues
Hello, I Love You
Love Me Two Times
Light My Fire
Touch Me

....are my faves.  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 05/29/06 at 7:49 pm

Thats kind of spooky loki13, but I'd love to pay a visit to the grave and get my pic taken there.

So would I, for two reasons. 1, to see if it is real and 2, it's Jim Morrison.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 1:41 am

My ranking of the albums:

1. The Doors
2. Strange Days
3. Morrison Hotel/L.A. Woman
4. The Soft Parade
5. Waiting for the Sun

The Doors captured the raw mystique of the Doors at their dark best - the End is probably the peak of the Door's recording career, but they certainly staged a good return with Morrisoin Hotel and L.A. Woman when everyone thought they had started producing cut-rate records.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/06 at 11:11 am

*Cue Twilight Zone theme*

Glad it worked.

I remember when Riders on the Storm first came out, I didn't like it. But over the years it grew on me.

Some of my favs are:

People are Strange
Touch Me
Love me Two Times
The Crystal Ship
The Alabama Song

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/03/06 at 3:51 am

Is everybody in?  Is everybody in??
The ceremony is about to begin.  http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/morrison.jpg
Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
Out here we is stoned - immaculate."  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/06 at 2:18 pm

Is everybody in?  Is everybody in??
The ceremony is about to begin.  http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/morrison.jpg
Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
Out here we is stoned - immaculate."  8)

Every time I see a pic of Jim Morrison, the one word that pops into my head is "Yum".  ;D

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/03/06 at 2:35 pm

Every time I see a pic of Jim Morrison, the one word that pops into my head is "Yum".  ;D

Cat
he's definitely the Cat's meow ;D  There is something special about Jim even so many years after his departure. This is the first time I've seen this pic and I like it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/06 at 4:35 pm

he's definitely the Cat's meow ;D  There is something special about Jim even so many years after his departure. This is the first time I've seen this pic and I like it.

What I thought was kind of freaky was that Val Kilmer (who played Jim in the movie The Doors) looked SOOOOOO much like him.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~mojodk/thedoors/image_folder/kilmer1.jpg

Val

http://www.electricscotland.com/music/genevincent/jim.jpg

Jim

Cat

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/03/06 at 5:28 pm

I'm split between Strange Days, The Doors (self titled) and LA Woman.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/03/06 at 8:09 pm

What I thought was kind of freaky was that Val Kilmer (who played Jim in the movie The Doors) looked SOOOOOO much like him.

Val

Jim

Cat
me too Cat. I love that film way too much. To me, when I see that movie I really feel like I'm seeing Jim and the rest of the Doors, not Val Kilmer or the other actors. I need to watch it again soon.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 11:30 pm

Val

Jim

Cat

I was left cold by both Val's appearance and his performance as Jim. It's fair to say I was very dissatisfied; I didn't like the movie, so much (check out the guy who played Ray). I'd much rather see a new documentary/unseen concert footage...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/04/06 at 12:31 am

The members of the band said that Val's performance was so spot-on with the singing, they had a hard time distinguishing what was being sung by Morrison and what was being sung by Kilmer.  He was that good.  It's an amazing movie and an even more amazing peformance.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 12:44 am

The members of the band said that Val's performance was so spot-on with the singing, they had a hard time distinguishing what was being sung by Morrison and what was being sung by Kilmer.  He was that good.  It's an amazing movie and an even more amazing peformance.

Bah...Kilmer can lap up his praise. To my mnd, no one can even come close to imitating the great Lizard King. Val Kilmer is but a pale shadow of Jimbo.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/04/06 at 12:49 am

Bah...Kilmer can lap up his praise. To my mnd, no one can even come close to imitating the great Lizard King. Val Kilmer is but a pale shadow of Jimbo.

I wasn't implying that Kilmer was superior to Morrison. 

What I WAS saying, was that he did that good of a job portraying him.  If the people who worked with Morrison the most said that Kilmer did a damn good job, I'll take that over some two-bit critic.  I happen to really enjoy the movie.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 12:53 am

I wasn't implying that Kilmer was superior to Morrison. 

What I WAS saying, was that he did that good of a job portraying him.  If the people who worked with Morrison the most said that Kilmer did a damn good job, I'll take that over some two-bit critic.  I happen to really enjoy the movie.

Manzarek and Krieger are sell outs  ::)

When I first saw the movie, I was like wtf? He doesn't even look like Morrison. Is everyone blind?? He looks more like Krieger than Morrison if you ask me.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/04/06 at 12:57 am

Manzarek and Krieger are sell outs  ::)

When I first saw the movie, I was like wtf? He doesn't even look like Morrison. Is everyone blind?? He looks more like Krieger than Morrison if you ask me.

Jesus, can't you just watch the freakin' movie and appreciate it for what it is instead of finding stupid little reasons to rip it apart?  Did Jamie Foxx look like the twin of Ray Charles?  No.  Did Bruce Greenwood look like a clone of JFK in Thirteen Days?  No. 

You don't need to look like a mirror image to capture what and who the person was. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 1:00 am

Jesus, can't you just watch the freakin' movie and appreciate it for what it is instead of finding stupid little reasons to rip it apart?  Did Jamie Foxx look like the twin of Ray Charles?  No.  Did Bruce Greenwood look like a clone of JFK in Thirteen Days?  No. 

You don't need to look like a mirror image to capture what and who the person was. 

I'm a massive Doors fan, and I think I have the right to judge anything which portrays the memory of Jim. I don't know if the movie did more good or bad for the Doors' legacy, but I'm just saying from a subjective viewpoint I didn't like it, and I thought Kilmer was in no way suited to play Morrison. People are allowed to have opinions, are they not?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/04/06 at 1:06 am

I'm a massive Doors fan, and I think I have the right to judge anything which portrays the memory of Jim. I don't know if the movie did more good or bad for the Doors' legacy, but I'm just saying from a subjective viewpoint I didn't like it, and I thought Kilmer was in no way suited to play Morrison. People are allowed to have opinions, are they not?

I'm a massive Doors fan too and while Val Kilmer is no Jim Morrison, I thought his portrayal was spot on considering how much he looked and sounded like him.  That had to have felt like a lucky coincidence for Oliver Stone because it took away the need to have the actor either overly made up or lip synching to pre-recorded vocals.  Anytime you can have actor portraying the person take on real-life qualities of the person (painting, singing, dancing), it gives the performance and the movie another dimension.  It's almost as if you're watching that person on the screen instead of someone pretending to be that person. 

I never said anything about not having an opinion, but one thing that pisses me off to no end is when people pick apart a movie for frivolous reasons.  Calling Manzarek and Krieger sellouts because they thought Kilmer did a good job is a frivoulous reason to dislike the movie.  What were they supposed to do?  Decry the film and call Kilmer a hack?  You talk about respecting opinions and then you sh*t on theirs.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 1:08 am

I'm a massive Doors fan too and while Val Kilmer is no Jim Morrison, I thought his portrayal was spot on considering how much he looked and sounded like him.  That had to have felt like a lucky coincidence for Oliver Stone because it took away the need to have the actor either overly made up or lip synching to pre-recorded vocals.  Anytime you can have actor portraying the person take on real-life qualities of the person (painting, singing, dancing), it gives the performance and the movie another dimension.  It's almost as if you're watching that person on the screen instead of someone pretending to be that person. 

I never said anything about not having an opinion, but one thing that pisses me off to no end is when people pick apart a movie for frivolous reasons.  Calling Manzarek and Krieger sellouts because they thought Kilmer did a good job is a frivoulous reason to dislike the movie.  What were they supposed to do?  Decry the film and call Kilmer a hack?  You talk about respecting opinions and then you sh*t on theirs.

Yes, I admit I'm subjective like that when it comes to the Doors. I've seen most concert footage of Morrison performing, and the more and more I watch it the more I think Kilmer's performance was off the mark.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/04/06 at 2:35 am

I was left cold by both Val's appearance and his performance as Jim. It's fair to say I was very dissatisfied; I didn't like the movie, so much (check out the guy who played Ray). I'd much rather see a new documentary/unseen concert footage...
  I thought Kyle MacLachlan as Ray was excellent, he was good also in Dune. I think the casting was as good as it can be without having the original band members. I'd rather see real Live concert footage too, but I think the movie captured the era well, and Oliver Stone is better qualified than any of us to  cast a film and direct one. I would think as an actor I'd study my character intently for accuracy and to try to become as close to the real person as I can. I'm sure Val did so. What more do we have the right to expect? Yeah. we love Jim and want Jim but he's gone & they weren't the Doors, we all know that. It's a movie about them and what about the Doors did it portray wrong? I've read Riders On The Storm and No One Here Gets Out Alive and the movie matches the biographies pretty well. You can't duplicate a live concert with actors, but you can try and you have to think about the magnitude of the set, all the extras, the sound, costumes, so much more involved behind the scenes and what we get  is a 2hour movie and expect something close to reality.  I think it's a good movie and it gets a http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif from me.  8)  I can see Trimac20 right now going http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif    ;D  ;D 

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 4:55 am

I thought Kyle MacLachlan as Ray was excellent, he was good also in Dune. I think the casting was as good as it can be without having the original band members. I'd rather see real Live concert footage too, but I think the movie captured the era well, and Oliver Stone is better qualified than any of us to  cast a film and direct one. I would think as an actor I'd study my character intently for accuracy and to try to become as close to the real person as I can. I'm sure Val did so. What more do we have the right to expect? Yeah. we love Jim and want Jim but he's gone & they weren't the Doors, we all know that. It's a movie about them and what about the Doors did it portray wrong? I've read Riders On The Storm and No One Here Gets Out Alive and the movie matches the biographies pretty well. You can't duplicate a live concert with actors, but you can try and you have to think about the magnitude of the set, all the extras, the sound, costumes, so much more involved behind the scenes and what we get  is a 2hour movie and expect something close to reality.  I think it's a good movie and it gets a http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif from me.  8)  I can see Trimac20 right now going http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif    ;D  ;D 

LOL...I'm sure many Doors fans loved the movie...heck when I have a look at some of the Doors forums (I used to frequent the Lizard lounge) it seems to be a polarizing issue. Personally if you liked the movie then good for you, but I do think it sort of gives people the wrong impression of what the Doors were all about - but I won't go into that. And yeah the guy playing Ray did an alright job - I guess he can't be blamed for Ray's hairstyle, lol, he definitely did a better job than the other Doors, let alone Meg Ryan as Jim's girlfriend Pamela (what were they thinking???).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/04/06 at 1:40 pm

LOL...I'm sure many Doors fans loved the movie...heck when I have a look at some of the Doors forums (I used to frequent the Lizard lounge) it seems to be a polarizing issue. Personally if you liked the movie then good for you, but I do think it sort of gives people the wrong impression of what the Doors were all about - but I won't go into that. And yeah the guy playing Ray did an alright job - I guess he can't be blamed for Ray's hairstyle, lol, he definitely did a better job than the other Doors, let alone Meg Ryan as Jim's girlfriend Pamela (what were they thinking???).
dude, Meg Ryan played a great Southern Cal hippie chick and HELLO!!  :o  you get to see Meg Ryans boobs  ;D  There will always be fans who appreciate & enjoy this movie & fans who criticize, &  disapprove. No biggee, each to her/his own.   good Doors thread and for those who don't think and feel about it like me   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/fudgeyou.gif                                 ;D just kidding my friends.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/06 at 2:53 pm

me too Cat. I love that film way too much. To me, when I see that movie I really feel like I'm seeing Jim and the rest of the Doors, not Val Kilmer or the other actors. I need to watch it again soon.

Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. I had to keep reminding myself, "That's Val, NOT Jim".

I've read Riders On The Storm and No One Here Gets Out Alive and the movie matches the biographies pretty well.

I also have read No One Here Gets Out Alive.  I LENT it to someone and never saw it again.  :\'(  I really hate that.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/04/06 at 4:05 pm

Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. I had to keep reminding myself, "That's Val, NOT Jim".

I also have read No One Here Gets Out Alive.  I LENT it to someone and never saw it again.  :\'(  I really hate that.

Cat
somehow I ended up with 2 copies of that book, and gave one away. I don't recall buying 2.  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/06 at 4:13 pm

somehow I ended up with 2 copies of that book, and gave one away. I don't recall buying 2.  ???

So maybe YOU were the one who stole my copy.  >:( 

;) :D ;D

Cat

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 9:00 pm

Cat

Lesson: Never lend good books to friends (if you want them back, that is).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/05/06 at 1:18 am

So maybe YOU were the one who stole my copy.  >:(   

;) :D ;D

Cat
That's what I was thinking too  ;D 

you got that right!! I have 2 out on loan, i for about 1.5 years, the other has been out for about 8 years. I ain't gettin that one back for sure. The more recent one I willl.

I watched the 2nd DVD of my Doors limited edition with all the extras in it and it was so cool to see the making of the movie and the deleted scenes. They cut out a lot.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 1:22 am

I have the 30th Anniversary Edition, Live in Europe and Storyteller's (which is a tribute concert by the original Doors and several guest singers). I ordered 'Live at the Roundhouse' (I forget the proper title) on VHS because I heard that was the best live footage of Morrison performing, but it turned out they were out of stock.  >:(

Other than that I've got 'No One Gets Here Gets Out Alive', and the 'Jim Morrison' bio by Stephen Davies. I've also read several other Doors' books. It's a shame I became a Doors fan just AFTER the Doors of the 21st Century came here (I know many call them sell-outs, but it's better than nothing).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/05/06 at 1:45 am

I have the 30th Anniversary Edition, Live in Europe and Storyteller's (which is a tribute concert by the original Doors and several guest singers). I ordered 'Live at the Roundhouse' (I forget the proper title) on VHS because I heard that was the best live footage of Morrison performing, but it turned out they were out of stock.  >:(

Other than that I've got 'No One Gets Here Gets Out Alive', and the 'Jim Morrison' bio by Stephen Davies. I've also read several other Doors' books. It's a shame I became a Doors fan just AFTER the Doors of the 21st Century came here (I know many call them sell-outs, but it's better than nothing).
you're right, better than nothing and live shows are just plain fun and memorable. I'd go see them. I wonder how much more they could have done if say, Jim sobered up. I see and have read about bands sobering up and it's like they're careers got resurrected/revived and they really able to focus on performing good music, not that the music wasn't as good when they were stoned, but sometimes that stoned part becomes the priority and gets in the way. oh well, no sense in thinking too much on what could have been, but enjoy what is available now. Take it Easy Tri  8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 1:48 am

you're right, better than nothing and live shows are just plain fun and memorable. I'd go see them. I wonder how much more they could have done if say, Jim sobered up. I see and have read about bands sobering up and it's like they're careers got resurrected/revived and they really able to focus on performing good music, not that the music wasn't as good when they were stoned, but sometimes that stoned part becomes the priority and gets in the way. oh well, no sense in thinking too much on what could have been, but enjoy what is available now. Take it Easy Tri  8)

Even if Jim had sobered up, got off the drugs.etc, I doubt the Doors could have continued. His drive, his inner energy had dried up by the L.A. Woman sessions. He was a real shooting star, destined to burn brightly and then go out with a *poof*. His peak, imo, was sometime in 1968: it was all downhill from there. Jim Morrison was just not destined to be a washed up rocker at 60-something, still going on well after his time was up. I also think he had a Death wish.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/05/06 at 12:24 pm

I have learned that lesson-all too well. Getting off subject a bit, the one person I have no problem with lending anything (books, DVDS, CD, etc) to is my step-daughter. She is great at returning them.

Ok, back to topic.

Cat

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 11:57 pm

To any Doors fans out there, I highly recommend the 30th Anniversary special edition...It includes not two but three seperate videos, including Live at the Hollywood Bowl.

Check for new replies or respond here...