inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Words, references, and names of things that are no longer used.

Written By: fishryc on 05/30/06 at 4:54 pm

I am presently in my mid 40's; and my dad was born in 1916! I grew up with a lot of obsolete and out of date phrases and names of things as per his reference. Here's some of mine that were the "normal" descriptions / words in my 1960's growing up years; what else have you others heard?

A refrigerator was an "Icebox"
A purse was a "Handbag"
A sofa was a "Davenport"
A footstool was "Hassock"
A robe was a "Housecoat"
A cigarette was a "Fag"
A ladies bra was called by the full name of "Brassier"; (both my wives laughed at my reference to this one; (What, do you work at a ladies clothing store? they asked!), in addition to my reference to "Handbags"!)
Men's pants were "Trousers"
Etc, Etc, Etc...............

Let's hear some more.............!

Subject: Re: Words, references, and names of things that are no longer used.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 5:02 pm

I am presently in my mid 40's; and my dad was born in 1916! I grew up with a lot of obsolete and out of date phrases and names of things as per his reference. Here's some of mine that were the "normal" descriptions / words in my 1960's growing up years; what else have you others heard?

A purse was a "Handbag"
A sofa was a "Davenport"
A robe was a "Housecoat"
A cigarette was a "Fag"
A ladies bra was called by the full name of "Brassier"; (both my wives laughed at my reference to this one; (What, do you work at a ladies clothing store? they asked!), in addition to my reference to "Handbags"!)

Mens pants are still "Trousers" here in the UK

Written By: fishryc on 05/30/06 at 5:23 pm

That's cool! Are golfers pants that only go to the knees (as worn by the late Payne Stewart) still called "Plus Fours"?
I also grew up with a family across the street in the 1960's that came from England in the early 1960's. They had cool stuff (toys) like "Corgi" brand steel cast cars, "Mechano" erector sets, yet unheard of in the USA "LEGO", and best of all to 9 a year old, lots of comics such as (I can only remember a few) "Beano", "Biff" and someones name I cannot recall, etc.............
It was really cool to experience this cultural exchange since these two guys became some of my best friends......
Are Brit comics still a publication with many characters stories all compiled into one publication such as our USA Sunday newspaper inserts are, or have they become single titled pubs as our premium comics are?

Scott

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 5:23 pm

That's cool! Are golfers pants that only go to the knees (as worn by the late Payne Stewart) still called "Plus Fours"?
Yes.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/30/06 at 5:24 pm

What about when we swing our pants    ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 5:25 pm

What about when we swing our pants    ;D ;D
Not MC Hammers pants?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/30/06 at 5:26 pm

Not MC Hammers pants?

I'd like to see the ankles taped up and then someone inflate the whole pants with air and tie the waist up too   ;D ;D

Written By: CeeKay on 05/30/06 at 5:43 pm

A purse was a "Handbag"
A sofa was a "Davenport"

Awhile ago I told someone that I wanted to get a hassock for my livingroom.  They looked at me as if I was speaking Greek.

Written By: hot_wax on 05/30/06 at 10:13 pm

Satchel for suitcase

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 11:44 pm

A purse was a "Handbag"
A sofa was a "Davenport"
A robe was a "Housecoat"
A cigarette was a "Fag"

This is still the case in the U.K. and a lesser extent Australia. I think in America when the term 'Fag's' homosexual slang meaning took over. Just like 'Gay' once meant happy...

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/30/06 at 11:47 pm

A purse was a "Handbag"
A sofa was a "Davenport"
A robe was a "Housecoat"
A cigarette was a "Fag"

Yeah my grandma was born in 1918 and I've heard her use some of those terms.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/31/06 at 12:17 am

A purse was a "Handbag"
A robe was a "Housecoat"

I still hear these back home in Philly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/06 at 12:21 am

Awhile ago I told someone that I wanted to get a hassock for my livingroom.  They looked at me as if I was speaking Greek.

For me a Hassock is the item you kneel on when praying in church.

Written By: karen on 05/31/06 at 5:34 am

A purse was a "Handbag"

In the UK a purse generally means a ladies form of a wallet for carrying coins, notes and credit cards etc.  I use a handbag to carry my purse, mobile phone, pens etc.

I used to work with someone who would call the radio "the wireless" and occasionally referred to his stereo as "the gramophone"!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/06 at 11:49 am

Phonograph (of course that is because the LP or record has gone the way of the Dodo.)
Hi Fi
Pocketbook

I'm sure I will think of more later.

Cat

Written By: fishryc on 05/31/06 at 4:18 pm

Phonograph

Cat

Is that anything like a Victrola?!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/06 at 5:53 pm

Is that anything like a Victrola?!!!

A Victrola CAN be called a phonograph but so could any turntable.

Cat

Written By: Marian on 06/01/06 at 3:41 pm

A purse was a "Handbag"
A sofa was a "Davenport"
A robe was a "Housecoat"
A cigarette was a "Fag"

Handbag is still used distinctively from puurtse.Pocketbook seems to have rendered archaic however.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/01/06 at 8:03 pm

Handbag is still used distinctively from puurtse.Pocketbook seems to have rendered archaic however.

Seriously? I still say pocketbook. No wonder people here in CA look at me as if I spoke Latin.

Written By: hot_wax on 06/02/06 at 9:45 pm

I also grew up with a family across the street in the 1960's that came from England in the early 1960's. They had cool stuff (toys) like "Corgi" brand steel cast cars, "Mechano" erector sets, yet unheard of in the USA "LEGO", and best of all to 9 a year old, lots of comics such as (I can only remember a few) "Beano", "Biff" and someones name I cannot recall, etc.............
It was really cool to experience this cultural exchange since these two guys became some of my best friends......
Are Brit comics still a publication with many characters stories all compiled into one publication such as our USA Sunday newspaper inserts are, or have they become single titled pubs as our premium comics are?

Scott

Those golfer pants that go just below the knees are called "Breeches" or "Knickers". 100 years ago the accepted stlye was that all young boys wore knickers until their teenage years, after then it was accepted fore them to wear long "pants" with cuffed hems, or "trousers" or "slacks" or today's "jeans" which all of these terminologies are still used today for "pants" depending what type of pant you need for your occasion. Usually "Trousers" is used to discribe a finer woven cloth formal cut pants or suit type pants, "Slacks" is used for a more casual cloth pant like cotton or cotton blends as in a Chino or Kakie cloth pants, and canvas or denim cloth for work pants or today's fashion "Jeans" which used to be called "Dungerees".

Hot Wax

Written By: CeeKay on 06/05/06 at 4:24 pm

Seriously? I still say pocketbook. No wonder people here in CA look at me as if I spoke Latin.

I still say "pocketbook" occasionally -- usually "purse" or "bag".

Written By: gemini on 06/05/06 at 5:41 pm

Capri pants or long shorts were called "pedal pushers"

Written By: hot_wax on 06/05/06 at 7:36 pm

Hey ladies! do they still use the words " Mules" for slippers or "Pumps" for shoes?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 11:59 pm

Those golfer pants that go just below the knees are called "Breeches" or "Knickers". 100 years ago the accepted stlye was that all young boys wore knickers until their teenage years, after then it was accepted fore them to wear long "pants" with cuffed hems, or "trousers" or "slacks" or today's "jeans" which all of these terminologies are still used today for "pants" depending what type of pant you need for your occasion. Usually "Trousers" is used to discribe a finer woven cloth formal cut pants or suit type pants, "Slacks" is used for a more casual cloth pant like cotton or cotton blends as in a Chino or Kakie cloth pants, and canvas or denim cloth for work pants or today's fashion "Jeans" which used to be called "Dungerees".

Hot Wax

'Knickers' are ladies underwear briefs in England and some other Commonwealth countries (it is now used spot-radically over here).

Written By: hot_wax on 06/06/06 at 1:59 am

'Knickers' are ladies underwear briefs in England and some other Commonwealth countries (it is now used spot-radically over here).

Weren't they called "Bloomers" also?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/06 at 2:00 am

Weren't they called "Bloomers" also?
Only when larger in size.

Written By: karen on 06/06/06 at 3:15 am

Capri pants or long shorts were called "pedal pushers"

I always took pedal pushers to go to the knee and capri pants to be mid-calf.

Written By: belladonna on 06/06/06 at 5:08 am

Okay, showing my age here (twas a mere babe in arms, honestly)  Today's capris are not quite the same as those of the 60s.  Think Mary Tyler Moore in the Dick Van Dyke show.  Capris then were very tapered and stopped just above the ankle bone.  Clam diggers are the ones that went to mid-calf.

Written By: gemini on 06/07/06 at 6:43 pm

Okay, showing my age here (twas a mere babe in arms, honestly)  Today's capris are not quite the same as those of the 60s.  Think Mary Tyler Moore in the Dick Van Dyke show.  Capris then were very tapered and stopped just above the ankle bone.  Clam diggers are the ones that went to mid-calf.

Yep, you're right, I forgot they were called clam diggers. So the knee length shorts were pedal pushers.

Written By: W on 06/08/06 at 5:17 pm

Anyone else still use to term nought for zero? As in 1+ nought =1.    W

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/06 at 2:52 am

I use both.

Written By: searching1980s on 06/12/06 at 10:45 am

I've heard a twenty-something coworker refer to this decade as "the noughts" when organizing his music collection.

Written By: W on 06/15/06 at 3:27 pm

Talking of terms no longer used, does anyone beside me know what a bunghole reamer or a snatchblock are USED FOR?  w

Written By: berger on 06/26/06 at 10:27 pm

I always thought Pedal-Pushers were just below the knee

Check for new replies or respond here...