inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Awesome Were the Underground? (V.U. Appreciated Thread)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 1:47 pm

I just can't stop listening to the Velvet Underground's two 'best' albums: Velvet Underground and Nico (the one with the Andy Warhol/Banana design) and 'The Velvet Underground' the self-titled 1969. I'm just blown away by how awesome this band is - the music, the lyrics, the image, the social commentary. Sure they are so highly praised, but they reek of the filth and ecstasy of the 60s. Brilliant stuff!

Subject: Re: How Awesome Were the Underground? (V.U. Appreciated Thread)

Written By: fishryc on 06/06/06 at 11:01 am

I believe you're a Brit and also a young person (I'm jealous bout the young part, BTW!!), but Lou Reed is, and has been, a lyrical genius as far as capturing the "essence" of NY City over the decades, IMHO. I feel that his work after VU is equally significant. See what you can get on line from "Rock and Roll Animal", "Transformer", "Lou Reed Live: Take No Prisoners" (recorded live in Berlin), and especially from one of his early '90's works, "New York". You'll be in for a good listen.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/06/06 at 11:06 am

I believe you're a Brit and also a young person (I'm jealous bout the young part, BTW!!), but Lou Reed is, and has been, a lyrical genius as far as capturing the "essence" of NY City over the decades, IMHO. I feel that his work after VU is equally significant. See what you can get on line from "Rock and Roll Animal", "Transformer", "Lou Reed Live: Take No Prisoners" (recorded live in Berlin), and especially from one of his early '90's works, "New York". You'll be in for a good listen.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've only just started listening to the Underground, so aren't really aware of their other stuff (I believe they broke up in 1972). And btw, I am pretty young (born in 86), but I'm an Aussie not a Brit.

Written By: Ize_that_Devise on 06/08/06 at 3:02 am

I've only heard the V.U. and Nico, the one with the peelable banana cover (course you can't do that on a CD, lol). I quite enjoyed the very ...nihilistic blend of masochist lyrics below softly strumming guitars, glockenspiels.etc - a very creative band with alot of positively negative energy! (if that makes sense!)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/06 at 12:23 am

VU in the '60s was vital to future of rock music. They influenced Punk and New Wave the way Picasso influenced the Surrealists and the Cubists. Nico (R.I.P.) was an interesting character, but really just an adjunct to the whole thing. I revere VU more than I enjoy their music, and as much as I respect what Lou Reed did, I say John Cale was the bigger talent.
8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/10/06 at 1:02 am

VU in the '60s was vital to future of rock music. They influenced Punk and New Wave the way Picasso influenced the Surrealists and the Cubists. Nico (R.I.P.) was an interesting character, but really just an adjunct to the whole thing. I revere VU more than I enjoy their music, and as much as I respect what Lou Reed did, I say John Cale was the bigger talent.
8)

Yeah, Cale was probably the driver behind the whole thing, if Reed was the 'face' of the Velvet Underground. I know what you mean about revering their reputation more than their music, but I personally enjoy their music as I enjoy any other pop music. People say it's really inacessible.etc, but I think the V.U. and Nico (I'm gonna be hung, drung and quatered for this) is one of the most listeable 'pop' LP's of the 60s. I mean, who can't listen to 'Sunday Morning' and not see...well, other pop artists in it. Certainly, the V.U. influenced many punk, rock 'pop' groups in the years that would follow.

Check for new replies or respond here...