inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Marvel comics in the 1960s

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/08/06 at 11:33 pm

Hello all, I've been getting into X-men a lot more lately so this topic popped up in my head.

Back in the 60s, Marvel Comics was revolutionising the comic world with titles like The Amazing Spider-Man and X-men.

For the first time in comics they were presenting more vulnerable and emotionally realistic characters, and putting them in situations that were often timely and that people in real life could relate to.

For instance one of the themes in X-men is very much discrimination and dealing with being different.  I saw a special awhile back talking about how Marvel made a big splash in the 60s, and how even on college campuses alot of liberal activists got into Spider-Man and the X-men, obviously due to socially relevent themes which had an appeal(especially the X-men because of the civil rights movement).

I was wondering if any older members remember reading them in the 60s or if they remember anyone else who did.

Subject: Re: Marvel comics in the 1960s

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 8:02 am

Ah, well this got passed right over.

I think I'm the only person on these forums that is interested in comics whatsoever.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/10/06 at 1:15 pm

I didn't read too many comic books in the 60's, it wasn't until the 70's that my
comic book intrest grew. I wasn't much of an X-Men fan, even though I have
Rogue Tattooed on my forearm. My 70's collection was a modest one, only about
a 100 or so books, mostly Ghost Rider, Howard The Duck, Thor, Spider Man, Dare Devil,
and The Sub Mariner.

I stopped collecting books in the early 90's. It is still a modest collection, only about
400 to 500 books.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 5:34 pm

Oooh, a Rogue tattoo eh?  I was thinking about getting a tattoo of my favorite X-man, Beast. :)

Written By: loki 13 on 06/10/06 at 6:51 pm

Rogue is my favorite, I also like Beast becuase he is an educated beast.

Here is my Rogue tattoo.

Check for new replies or respond here...