inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did rock become "secured" as a format?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/12/06 at 10:52 am

I was just talking with Trimac about this. I once read a quote from 1962 that read to the effect of "Rock and roll seems to have passed as a phenomenon." I found that to be a really interesting snapshot of that moment. Of course, they couldn't have known that the Beatles/British Invasion were less than 2 years away then.

The real "Malt Shop/rock and roll/Elvis" '50s is more like 1954-58 or so. Roughly 1959-63 seems like a "quiet/inbetween" time, so from a 1962 perspective, if you asked someone what they thought music would sound like in 5 years, they probably would've guessed more stuff like The Zodiacs. NOT Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, Janis Joplin and the White Album. ;D

But really, I'd guess around 1967 with Sgt. Pepper and the start of the psychedelic era is when people realized rock was here to stay and not just a fad.

Check for new replies or respond here...