inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Was the Peak of Organ music?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 1:07 pm

When did the electric organ's popularity peak in pop music? I'm guessing about 1969 - many psych bands (like the Doors, Procol Harum, even Steppenwolf) used organs - particularly the British Psychedelic scene - which seemed to disappear in a flood of flowery jazz backing in the early 70s, or country-style backing, e.g. Bellamy Brothers, Neil Young.etc.

Subject: Re: When Was the Peak of Organ music?

Written By: fishryc on 06/23/06 at 6:36 pm

When did the electric organ's popularity peak in pop music? I'm guessing about 1969 - many psych bands (like the Doors, Procol Harum, even Steppenwolf) used organs - particularly the British Psychedelic scene - which seemed to disappear in a flood of flowery jazz backing in the early 70s, or country-style backing, e.g. Bellamy Brothers, Neil Young.etc.

Very cool topic Trimac! I can't remwember if it was you that legitimately and in a negative critique, stated how the 1970's page was all about "what are you listening to today". I also have gotten tired of those topics.......
Anyway, as far as 1960's and 1970's organ music goes, I feel that the master and true "end of the line pioneeer" is Keith Emersom. (Of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer fame). Watch his film from (I believe 1971) in which he wrestles the machine on one leg or corner while inserting swords between the keys and while keeping in line with the song being played!! He's a true inovator / pioneer!! Anyone agree?

Written By: holicman on 06/23/06 at 11:57 pm

Ive never seen ELP perform but their music is very unique and inspirational............a prime example is "fanfare for the common man".

I think the Organ started coming through probably around 1967, that seemed to be the time that the Beatles bought out the SGT Peppers album, Procol Harum released whiter shade of pale, other bands sort of jumping on the bandwagon,some great bands, some lesser known yet not neccesarily bad bands experimenting with this type of sound.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/06 at 12:34 am

For me it is at the turn of late 60s and 70s with Wendy/Walter Carlos, with The Well-Tempered Synthesizer (1969) and A Clockwork Orange (film) (soundtrack) (1972), until Tomita's success in the mid 80s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 2:38 pm

Very cool topic Trimac! I can't remwember if it was you that legitimately and in a negative critique, stated how the 1970's page was all about "what are you listening to today". I also have gotten tired of those topics.......
Anyway, as far as 1960's and 1970's organ music goes, I feel that the master and true "end of the line pioneeer" is Keith Emersom. (Of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer fame). Watch his film from (I believe 1971) in which he wrestles the machine on one leg or corner while inserting swords between the keys and while keeping in line with the song being played!! He's a true inovator / pioneer!! Anyone agree?

Yes, I just got sick of the 70s board being a list of artists threads...

Oh yeah, I love seeing keyboard virtuosos. Another keyboarder I like is Jackie Mitoo - of course his music is reggae/ska-based. I'll have to check out Keith Emersom's stuff.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...