inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Debate Beatles' Music

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/08/06 at 6:11 am

Argue to your hearts content on questions like - Best Song, Best Album, best version, Favourite Beatle.etc.etc.

Subject: Re: Debate Beatles' Music

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/08/06 at 4:02 pm

.... WHAT!?

Written By: Red Ant on 07/15/06 at 11:34 pm

Well, for starters, I'm curious as to why many seem to dislike Revolution #9. At 8 minutes long it isn't exactly radio friendly (come to think of it I've never heard it on the radio), nor can you sing along to it, but I think it's still a pretty good piece of music.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/16/06 at 12:43 am

Oh Lord.  Well, let's see............

Best Song: Sh*t.  Hmmm, "We Can Work It Out".  Or, "Here Comes The Sun".  This is going to be one category where I can't choose one answer. 

Best Album: 

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/808/thebeatles1albumcoverhm6.th.jpg

Why?  All the #1s on one great CD and you don't have to go changing discs/albums to hear a song you want.  Now, that's just for the hits.  For the whole "album" experience, probably Abbey Road.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2839/beatlesabbeyroadwg8.th.jpg

Best Beatle:  Paul McCartney.  I loved his voice and he was the cute one, after all.

Best solo song by a Beatle: My Sweet Lord

Best solo album by a Beatle: Imagine

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1856/imaginecovergz1.th.jpg

Best cover of a Beatles song: With A Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/16/06 at 9:08 am

Well, for starters, I'm curious as to why many seem to dislike Revolution #9. At 8 minutes long it isn't exactly radio friendly (come to think of it I've never heard it on the radio), nor can you sing along to it, but I think it's still a pretty good piece of music.

I love tape collages. Maxwell Smart says Paul McCartney did them before John Lennon, but Revolution 9, which was made by Lennon, was the one they decided to release.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/16/06 at 10:54 am

My 'best-ofs':

Best Song:

That's almost impossible to decide; it's a toss up between 'And I Love Her,' 'Tommorow Never Knows' and Something.

Best Album:

The Beatles (The White Album)

http://www.aepnet.de/user/Micheel/BEATLES/Pictures/10%20WHITE%20ALBUM.JPG

I know it had alot of filler, but just the sheer variety...not to mention it contained some very good songs.

Best Solo Song By A Beatle: 'Imagine' by John Lennon

Best Solo Album By A Beatle: Imagine (the album) by John Lennon

Favourite Beatle:

Probably John or George

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/06 at 4:57 pm

Best song? Hard to sum up just one but some of the best are: My Guitar Gently Weeps, A Day in the Life, and Here Comes the Sun.

Best Album? Again, can't sum it up with just one but my personal favorite 3 are Abbey Road, The White Album, and Sgt. Pepper.

My favorite Beatle is a toss up between George and Ringo. I know a lot of people think that Ringo doesn't have the same talent as the other three but I always thought he was funny-which is why I like him. Then followed by Sir Paul. John is my least favorite. He was just too weird.

Cat

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/18/06 at 10:26 am

Best song? Oh dear, as everyone said, it's impossible to choose. I suppose I'll just list my lot of favorites. Happiness is a Warm Gun and A Day in the Life for their progressive different segments. I love the whole second half of Abbey Road. I love I Want You (She's so Heavy) I... I love a lot of them.

Best album... Abbey Road musically, it was really great... Showed some real musicianship in I Want You (She's so Heavy). The White album for diversity, shows they can make good songs in lots of genres. Magical Mystery Tour, for it's artistic points and the great songs "I Am the Walrus", "Strawberry Fields Forever", and "Penny Lane".

I don't have a favorite Beatle. Paul and George are both great musically, and I like Ringo's personality. I don't like John, however.. he seems like a jerk.

Favorite solo Beatle song? Oh my.. Um.. English Tea-Paul McCartney :P.

Favorite solo Beatle album? Probably Ram by Macca.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/18/06 at 11:15 am

Best song? Oh dear, as everyone said, it's impossible to choose. I suppose I'll just list my lot of favorites. Happiness is a Warm Gun and A Day in the Life for their progressive different segments. I love the whole second half of Abbey Road. I love I Want You (She's so Heavy) I... I love a lot of them.

Best album... Abbey Road musically, it was really great... Showed some real musicianship in I Want You (She's so Heavy). The White album for diversity, shows they can make good songs in lots of genres. Magical Mystery Tour, for it's artistic points and the great songs "I Am the Walrus", "Strawberry Fields Forever", and "Penny Lane".

I don't have a favorite Beatle. Paul and George are both great musically, and I like Ringo's personality. I don't like John, however.. he seems like a jerk.

Favorite solo Beatle song? Oh my.. Um.. English Tea-Paul McCartney :P.

Favorite solo Beatle album? Probably Ram by Macca.

I never liked 'I Am The Walrus' or 'Strawberry Fields' that much...I thought they were really overrated. 'Penny Lane,' 'Hello, Goodbye' and 'Fool On The Hill' are the best songs on Magical Mystery Tour. Ditto with much of 'Abbey Road' - what let Abbey Road down was it's inconsistency. It was brilliant at times, but other times it sounded a bit like 'throwaway' music.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/18/06 at 11:43 am

I never liked 'I Am The Walrus' or 'Strawberry Fields' that much...I thought they were really overrated. 'Penny Lane,' 'Hello, Goodbye' and 'Fool On The Hill' are the best songs on Magical Mystery Tour. Ditto with much of 'Abbey Road' - what let Abbey Road down was it's inconsistency. It was brilliant at times, but other times it sounded a bit like 'throwaway' music.

Aside from "Come Together", I love all of Abbey Road... They went out with a bang!
And I heard that not many people like "I Am the Walrus". And "Hello, Goodbye" is VERY good.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/18/06 at 11:50 am

Aside from "Come Together", I love all of Abbey Road... They went out with a bang!
And I heard that not many people like "I Am the Walrus". And "Hello, Goodbye" is VERY good.

Well, 'Let It Be' was the last album released (if not the last recorded), and the reaction was rather lukewarm. And apart from that, you could say the Beatles' did end in a bang - though it wasn't necessarily a good thing.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/18/06 at 12:39 pm

Best Album: Rubber Soul or Revolver
Best Songs: "Yesterday", "Michelle", "Drive My Car", "I'm Only Sleeping", "I Am the Walrus" (Demo Version), "Come Together."

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/18/06 at 1:17 pm

Well, 'Let It Be' was the last album released (if not the last recorded), and the reaction was rather lukewarm. And apart from that, you could say the Beatles' did end in a bang - though it wasn't necessarily a good thing.

Well, Let it Be was released as a movie and recorded before Abbey Road.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/18/06 at 1:49 pm

Best Song: It's nearly impossible to choose a "best" song.
If I were to go by each year:
1963: Twist & Shout
1964: If I fell
1965: Help!
1966: Nowhere Man
1967: All You Need Is Love
1968: Lady Madonna
1969: Ballad of John and Yoko
1970: The Long and Winding Road

Best Album: Abbey Road is so enjoyable, through and through. A Hard Day's Night comes very close to it.

Best Solo Album: I think I like John Lennon's Double Fantasy best. Next best is Paul McCartney's debut album in 1970.

http://www.bagism.com/img/albums/double-fantasy-cover-med.jpg
http://www.alohacriticon.com/images/alohapoprockfotos/mccartneydisco.jpg

Favorite Beatle: I like them all, to be honest. I saw Paul live in November and that was like a dream come true.

Best song by Solo Beatle: Give Me Love (Give Me Peace) - George Harrison (also, Imagine - John Lennon and Put it There - Paul McCartney)

Best cover of a Beatles Song - In My Life - Jose Feliciano

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/18/06 at 2:47 pm

Favourite Beatle:

Probably John or George

I'm stuck between them also.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/06 at 3:19 pm

Top 10 songs: Rocky Raccoon, When I'm 64, Back in the USSR, We Can Work it Out, Obladi Oblada, Don't Pass Me By, Birthday, Let it Be, With a Little Help From My Friends, Come Together.

Favorite album: The White Album, although Sgt. Peppers is a close second.

Favorite Solo Beatles album: Paul's Pipes of Peace (tons of underrated '80s pop/album rock on there - So Bad, Keep Under Cover, etc).

Favorite Beatle: Paul - overall he's got the most "pop friendly" songs.

Best solo song by a Beatle: "Say Say Say" by Paul McCartney (hey, the '80s weren't that bad). ;)

P.S. Since it's pretty obvious I favor Paul, I'll do a bonus for the other 3 guys, lol.

Favorite solo song by each: John's "Woman", Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy", and George's "I Got My Mind set on You".

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/18/06 at 4:48 pm

I really liked "I am the Walrus" and "Strawberry Fields" when I first heard them, but after awhile they did wear on me - Yet, to this day (some ten years after I discovered the Beatles on my own), I still have a hard time switching the dial when they play even the songs I don't like. The Beatles are just in a realm all their own.  :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/18/06 at 5:35 pm

Top 10 songs: Rocky Raccoon, When I'm 64, Back in the USSR, We Can Work it Out, Obladi Oblada, Don't Pass Me By, Birthday, Let it Be, With a Little Help From My Friends, Come Together.

Favorite album: The White Album, although Sgt. Peppers is a close second.

Favorite Solo Beatles album: Paul's Pipes of Peace (tons of underrated '80s pop/album rock on there - So Bad, Keep Under Cover, etc).

Favorite Beatle: Paul - overall he's got the most "pop friendly" songs.

Best solo song by a Beatle: "Say Say Say" by Paul McCartney (hey, the '80s weren't that bad). ;)

P.S. Since it's pretty obvious I favor Paul, I'll do a bonus for the other 3 guys, lol.

Favorite solo song by each: John's "Woman", Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy", and George's "I Got My Mind set on You".

Would Say, Say, Say count as a solo? I mean... it had Michael Jackson in it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/06 at 10:53 pm

Would Say, Say, Say count as a solo? I mean... it had Michael Jackson in it.

Yeah I know, duets are kinda iffy (and sometimes they're credited to both artists, say on a Greatest Hits compilation by each artist), but I'd still count it since it was on Paul's Pipes of Peace album.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/18/06 at 11:03 pm

Yeah I know, duets are kinda iffy (and sometimes they're credited to both artists, say on a Greatest Hits compilation by each artist), but I'd still count it since it was on Paul's Pipes of Peace album.

Pipes of Peace is another great song.

Written By: HunkyDory on 07/18/06 at 11:26 pm

Best Song:
lets see.....

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Yesterday

A Day in the Life
The Night Before

So MANY!!
Best Album:
Sgt. Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band
Every song is a classic

Best Solo Album By A Beatle: Venus and Mars - Paul Mccartney and The Wings (don't know if that counts, but it is great)

Favourite Beatle:

Uhh....Paul or George

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/06 at 11:51 pm

Pipes of Peace is another great song.

Maybe I need some time to let that one grow on me. ;) So far, that's my least fave of the hits off that album (the other two being "Say x3" and "So Bad"). I also like "The Other Me" and the more hard rockish "Keep Under Cover" - which is sorta an '80s styled take on his heavier Beatles material.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/19/06 at 9:15 am

Best Song: It's nearly impossible to choose a "best" song.
If I were to go by each year:
1963: Twist & Shout
1964: If I fell
1965: Help!
1966: Nowhere Man
1967: All You Need Is Love
1968: Lady Madonna
1969: Ballad of John and Yoko
1970: The Long and Winding Road

Best Album: Abbey Road is so enjoyable, through and through. A Hard Day's Night comes very close to it.

Best Solo Album: I think I like John Lennon's Double Fantasy best. Next best is Paul McCartney's debut album in 1970.

http://www.bagism.com/img/albums/double-fantasy-cover-med.jpg
http://www.alohacriticon.com/images/alohapoprockfotos/mccartneydisco.jpg

Favorite Beatle: I like them all, to be honest. I saw Paul live in November and that was like a dream come true.

Best song by Solo Beatle: Give Me Love (Give Me Peace) - George Harrison (also, Imagine - John Lennon and Put it There - Paul McCartney)

Best cover of a Beatles Song - In My Life - Jose Feliciano

'Nowhere Man' was included in the U.K. version of Rubber Soul, though I believe it was absent from the U.S. Version. Not too sure if it was ever included on any non-compilation album, but from my knowledge it was single only in the US.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/19/06 at 9:18 am

I really liked "I am the Walrus" and "Strawberry Fields" when I first heard them, but after awhile they did wear on me - Yet, to this day (some ten years after I discovered the Beatles on my own), I still have a hard time switching the dial when they play even the songs I don't like. The Beatles are just in a realm all their own.  :)

I found 'I Am The Walrus' so...inconsequential. The melody was so forgettable - I did, however, like the interesting ethnic string instruments used. 'Strawberry Fields Forever' is arguably the famous British psychedelic song of all time, yet imo is poppified psych and pales in comparison to even the likes of the Floyd.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/19/06 at 9:21 am

My Top 5 Overrated Beatles songs of all time:

1. Yesterday
2. Michelle
3. Strawberry Fields Forever
4. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
5. I Want To Tell You
6. Drive My Car
7. You Never Give Me Your Money
8. Get Back
9. Back in the U.S.S.R
10. Obla Di Obla Da

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/19/06 at 10:26 am

I found 'I Am The Walrus' so...inconsequential. The melody was so forgettable - I did, however, like the interesting ethnic string instruments used. 'Strawberry Fields Forever' is arguably the famous British psychedelic song of all time, yet imo is poppified psych and pales in comparison to even the likes of the Floyd.

I love the string solo that lasts for only five measures :(

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/19/06 at 10:27 am

1. Yesterday
2. Michelle
5. I Want To Tell You
6. Drive My Car
8. Get Back
9. Back in the U.S.S.R
10. Obla Di Obla Da

I agree with the last 3... But I don't think 7 is overrated, I mean... Who ever praises that song? Plus, it IS a great song.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/19/06 at 10:29 am

I agree with the last 3... But I don't think 7 is overrated, I mean... Who ever praises that song? Plus, it IS a great song.

YNGMYM is pure filler...not one of Abbey Road's brighter moments.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/19/06 at 10:36 am

If it were filler, they wouldn't have reprised it in Carry That Weight. They obviously liked the song.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/06 at 1:18 pm

I agree with you. In fact, I think You Never Give Me Your Money is probably underrated.

Cat

Written By: HunkyDory on 07/19/06 at 1:41 pm

1. Yesterday
2. Michelle
5. I Want To Tell You
6. Drive My Car
8. Get Back
9. Back in the U.S.S.R
10. Obla Di Obla Da

No I am the Walrus on that list!? :o

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/19/06 at 2:33 pm

No I am the Walrus on that list!? :o

NOT OVERRATED!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/19/06 at 2:45 pm

I agree with you. In fact, I think You Never Give Me Your Money is probably underrated.

Cat

That song is hardly ever played on the radio, Give Me Your Money, that is. I think that song is great.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/19/06 at 3:29 pm

That doesn't make it overrated.  Ask 100 people on the street what they think of that song, and you'll probably have 100 people ask you who sang it.  I've never heard that song before, myself. 

Now ask the same 100 people what they think of Stairway to Heaven, you'll get different answers.  THAT song is overrated.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/19/06 at 3:39 pm

That doesn't make it overrated.  Ask 100 people on the street what they think of that song, and you'll probably have 100 people ask you who sang it.  I've never heard that song before, myself. 

Now ask the same 100 people what they think of Stairway to Heaven, you'll get different answers.  THAT song is overrated.

I second that.
Although Abbey Road is played quite a bit, none of the songs are filler on there. I find each extremely unique and original, and also refreshing with each new listen. I can purely never tire of it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/20/06 at 12:48 am

Stairway is a bit overrated...along with 'More Than A Feeling' by Boston, 'Hotel California' by The Eagles, those sort of songs which are played constantly on Oldies radio...

Written By: danootaandme on 08/08/06 at 3:13 pm

There isn't any way I could name a favorite song, album, what ever...  I can say, though, that John was always my favorite, with George a close second.  They were the driving creative forces in the innovation which made the Beatles the phenom that they were.  John and Paul were the best of friends, but I often wonder what kind of music would have been made if John and George had been best mates.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/08/06 at 5:33 pm

Stairway is a bit overrated...along with 'More Than A Feeling' by Boston, 'Hotel California' by The Eagles, those sort of songs which are played constantly on Oldies radio...

Hotel California is a great song that just gets too much airplay, but it is a song that I thoroughly enjoy. More than a Feeling I could pass on 5 out of 10 times, if I had the chance.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/10/06 at 9:52 am

Hotel California is a great song that just gets too much airplay, but it is a song that I thoroughly enjoy. More than a Feeling I could pass on 5 out of 10 times, if I had the chance.

Led Zeppelin and the Eagles, along with AC/DC, The Floyd, Stones.etc seem to hog an inordinate amount of airplay. As great as those bands were, they alone were not classic rock. There was more to classic rock than the music those bands played...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/10/06 at 2:12 pm

Led Zeppelin and the Eagles, along with AC/DC, The Floyd, Stones.etc seem to hog an inordinate amount of airplay. As great as those bands were, they alone were not classic rock. There was more to classic rock than the music those bands played...

Well, they were a majority of it, but I don't know if it has to do with the radio stations only being allowed to play a certain rotation or what, but to me - that could play a part in why we ALWAYS hear those stations playing those bands. I actually saw the Eagles in concert about a year ago, and as much as they play their stuff on the radio - hearing it live was really great!

Check for new replies or respond here...