inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: RIP Syd Barrett

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/11/06 at 10:18 am

:\'(

Syd Barrett, the former lead singer of Pink Floyd and one of the key figures of the 60s, has died at the Cambridgeshire home to which he retreated as a recluse more than 30 years ago.
The Guardian has learned that the singer, 60, who suffered from a psychedelic-drug induced breakdown while at the peak of his career, died last Friday from cancer.

His brother Alan confirmed his death, saying only: "He died peacefully at home. There will be a private family funeral in the next few days."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Born Roger Keith Barrett in Cambridge in 1946, he acquired the nickname Syd aged 15. He left Pink Floyd in 1968, just as the band was about to achieve worldwide recognition, and lived in the basement of his mother Winfred's semi-detached house, where he boarded up the windows to keep out the eyes of both the press and fans. He recorded two solo albums.
Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond, from the 1975 album Wish You Were Here, was said by many to be a salute to him. Barrett's use of drugs, particularly LSD, in the 60s, was well-documented and he was often described as the original acid casualty.

A statement issued on behalf of Pink Floyd said: "The band are naturally very upset and sad to learn of Syd Barrett's death. Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."

Dave Gilmour, the Pink Floyd guitarist drafted in to the band during a period in which Barrett was behaving erratically, said in an interview earlier this year that he thought that Barrett's breakdown would have happened anyway.

He said: "It was a deep-rooted thing. But I'll say the psychedelic experience might well have acted as a catalyst. Still, I just don't think he could deal with the vision of success and all the things that went with it."

Subject: Re: RIP Syd Barrett

Written By: holicman on 07/11/06 at 10:52 am

A month ago someone stated the same thing which wasnt true, but now it seems it is.

RIP Syd Barret.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/15013389.htm

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 11:11 am

RIP Syd!

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 12:24 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

I can't believe it!

Piper at the Gates of Dawn must tie as my fave Floyd album, you were such a genius Syd...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/06 at 12:40 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5169344.stm

Reported on the above URL.

:\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/06 at 1:37 am

Radio2 are playing See Emily Play followed by Shine On You Crazy Diamond in tribute.

Written By: Fred on 07/14/06 at 5:18 pm

RIP Syd Barret,

I thought his music and writing style was genius and one of a kind. I am surprised to here this, I didn't know he had cancer.  :\'(

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/19/06 at 11:37 am

Diabetes complications, not cancer.

Check for new replies or respond here...