inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Well Known (and not so well known) 60s Songs Which Included Synthesizers

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 1:25 pm

The Moog synthesizer, invented by Robert Moog in 1964, which came into general usage in the late 60s, was a revolution in music. Finally, here was a way one could play pre-recorded samples of instruments on a keyboard. Some late 60s songs which featured synths I can think of include:

1. Here Comes the Sun - the Beatles
2. Old Man Willow - Elephant's Memory
3. What Am I Doing Hanging Around - the Monkees
4. Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In - Fifth Dimension

Can anyone think of any others?

Subject: Re: Well Known (and not so well known) 60s Songs Which Included Synthesizers

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/11/06 at 5:27 pm

Well, from the same album, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".
"Hangin' Round" has synths? I don't recall that, but there is plenty o' synths in the Monkees' "Daily Nightly", "Star Collector" and many others.

Subject: Re: Well Known (and not so well known) 60s Songs Which Included Synthesizers

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/06 at 8:54 pm

Any song by The Nice. Keith Emerson worked closely with Moog and mad the synthesizer
his primary instrument.

Written By: Tia on 07/11/06 at 9:12 pm

hozabout good vibrations? i assume theremins count.

Written By: holicman on 07/11/06 at 9:58 pm

I think "Fire" by The Crazy world of Arthur Brown used synthesizer organs ......

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/12/06 at 7:53 am

Any song by The Nice. Keith Emerson worked closely with Moog and mad the synthesizer
his primary instrument.

Did he get a moog before ELP? I thought he didn't have one on hand until the debut album. The Nice tracks that I've heard (readily admitting I haven't heard all of the albums) don't seem to have any.

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 8:59 pm

Daily/Nightly by the Monkees.  I believe Micky had the second know Moog back in the day.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/29/06 at 9:25 pm

Star Collector by the Monkees, which I believe was the first song using it.

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 9:44 pm

Hey, I think you're right. I had almost forgotten about that one.  Pychedelic!!! :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/06 at 1:43 am

Hey, I think you're right. I had almost forgotten about that one.  Pychedelic!!! :)

hahahaha

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/30/06 at 7:17 am

How about the 1962 #1 hit "Telstar" by the Tornadoes? I believe that is the first major hit song to extensively use synthezers.

(Personally, I find that song annoying.  ::))

Check for new replies or respond here...