inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who exactly was Thunderclap Newman?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/06 at 8:36 am

During the summer of 1969, Something In The Air was Thunderclap Newman released in the UK, but who was in the group, I think Pete Townshend had something to do with the record.

Subject: Re: Who exactly was Thunderclap Newman?

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/06 at 4:52 pm

I've heard of "Something in the Air" before.  It was also a Top 40 hit in Canada in 1969, and by 1970 was also a Top 40 hit in America :)

I believe Townshend did have a helping hand in it.  Don't know who exactly Thunderclap was though

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 7:02 am

Finally got round to researching it:

Andy Newman - Keyboards
John Keen - Vocals, Drums
Jimmy McCulloch - Guitars
Jim Avery - Bass 1969
Jack McCulloch - Drums 1969

Thunderclap Newman was originally formed as a side project by Pete Townshend of The Who in 1969. They had one album, Hollywood Dream and one hit, Something In The Air which went to #1 in the U.K. and #37 in the U.S., and then broke up in 1970. The band consisted of Andy Newman on keyboards, Jimmy McCulloch (who would later join Stone The Crows and Paul McCartney and Wings), John Keen on vocals and drums, and later on, Jim Avery on bass and Jack McCulloch on drums. Something In The Air was used as part of the soundtrack to the Ringo Starr/Peter Sellers 1970 film The Magic Christian (also included on the soundtrack were three songs by Badfinger) and The Strawberry Statement. John Keen would go on to release a few solo albums in the mid 70's. Sadly he would pass on in 2002.

Courtesy of http://members.tripod.com/rant58/id254.htm

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/25/06 at 6:28 pm

a first class piece of music by THUNDERCLAP NEWMAN currrently being bastardised by some weak voiced bint named hayley sanderson in the UK charts and the soundtrack for BT/Talk Talk ads. Total and utter tripe.

Written By: Paul on 07/26/06 at 7:13 am

a first class piece of music by THUNDERCLAP NEWMAN currrently being bastardised by some weak voiced bint named hayley sanderson in the UK charts and the soundtrack for BT/Talk Talk ads. Total and utter tripe.

I hear you, Jules...

Incredibly, their stint at #1 was the only occasion that any member of The Who was involved with a British chart-topping single (Townsend plays bass on it)...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/06 at 1:15 pm

I thought it was Sandi Thom

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/26/06 at 1:20 pm

I thought it was Sandi Thom

she's another one with one of those voices  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/06 at 1:21 pm

she's another one with one of those voices  >:(
Good song, but it is just her.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/27/06 at 4:33 pm

Good song, but it is just her.

..voice

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/01/06 at 8:46 pm

I know this artist reached #1, with a song written by Pete Townshend.

(Townshend was bitter, because the Who never hit #1.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/06 at 1:08 am

I know this artist reached #1, with a song written by Pete Townshend.

(Townshend was bitter, because the Who never hit #1.)
Really he should not complain for his pop career has last over forty years compared with others.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/02/06 at 3:24 am

Yes, but you must admit, when you reach #1 in whatever field you are in, you feel a sense of acomplishment.
Especially if the field is a relatively competitive one, such as music.
Being a musician myself, I can relate to this somewhat...except I haven't gotten to that stage yet.

Check for new replies or respond here...