inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What A Wonderful World

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/19/06 at 2:31 am

This has to be my favorite pre-1960 song.

Subject: Re: What A Wonderful World

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/19/06 at 3:46 am

Yeah I grew up listening to it, and I'm into it too. It's not really your typical Armstrong song (more poppy), and what's weird is, it doesn't even sound that "old" for its age. It sounds closer to, say 1975 than 1968.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/19/06 at 3:48 am

Yeah I grew up listening to it, and I'm into it too. It's not really your typical Armstrong song (more poppy), and what's weird is, it doesn't even sound that "old" for its age. It sounds closer to, say 1975 than 1968.

Isn't almost a sad song, in a way, since the world isn't really like that?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/19/06 at 3:54 am

Isn't almost a sad song, in a way, since the world isn't really like that?

Yeah, it's a pretty song. I think that was how he wanted it to be, so it's sorta sad that it hasn't really turned out that way.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/19/06 at 4:12 am

Yeah, it's a pretty song. I think that was how he wanted it to be, so it's sorta sad that it hasn't really turned out that way.

I find the song to be depressing. Do you think it's supposed to be a sad song?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/19/06 at 4:14 am

I find the song to be depressing. Do you think it's supposed to be a sad song?

I never thought about it that way, but I think it's one of those songs where if you're already sad, it'll seem depressing and gloomy (but if I'm in an okay mood, they'll seem more melodic). I've got songs that have that effect on me (e.g. "True" from Spandau Ballet, "Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Collins).

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/19/06 at 4:26 am

I sort of disagree with Marty, I think Louis Armstrong geniunely saw that, despite all the suffering, wars, famines, there was still some goodness in the world. For some reason, when I listen to this song, I picture an old man on his deathbed reminiscing his younger days - I guess that's why it sounds so bittersweet to me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/06 at 1:55 pm

I love the song (and have always loved Louis Armstrong). That song was played at my wedding and what made it so significant was the fact that my parents (who can barely be in the same room together) starting dancing together (without any of their kids "forcing" them to do so). It really made for a wonderful wedding present to me. So now when I think of that song, I think how my parents put aside their differences for my wedding-which mades me think that it is truly a Wonderful World.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 07/19/06 at 2:02 pm

I sort of disagree with Marty, I think Louis Armstrong geniunely saw that, despite all the suffering, wars, famines, there was still some goodness in the world. For some reason, when I listen to this song, I picture an old man on his deathbed reminiscing his younger days - I guess that's why it sounds so bittersweet to me.

Of course, 'Satch' never had a say in it, but when it was put into the 'Good Morning Vietnam' soundtrack, it took on a powerfully different meaning...

To this day, 'Satch' remains the oldest person to have had a #1 song both in Britain (with this) and the US (with 'Hello Dolly')...proof of the man's staying power as well as being a true groundbreaker...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 2:04 pm

What A Wonderful World was the last song publicly performed by Eva Cassidy, who died of cancer about 6 weeks later in 1996.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/19/06 at 2:10 pm

I love the song (and have always loved Louis Armstrong). That song was played at my wedding and what made it so significant was the fact that my parents (who can barely be in the same room together) starting dancing together (without any of their kids "forcing" them to do so). It really made for a wonderful wedding present to me. So now when I think of that song, I think how my parents put aside their differences for my wedding-which mades me think that it is truly a Wonderful World.

Cat

That's lovely, Cat!  :)

Sadly, my dad wouldn't dance with anybody at my wedding...and the more people tried to get him to, the more upset he got!  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/06 at 2:14 pm

That's lovely, Cat!  :)

Sadly, my dad wouldn't dance with anybody at my wedding...and the more people tried to get him to, the more upset he got!  :(

That's too bad. I know this is getting off topic a bit but I love watching the videos of my wedding with my dad TRYING to do the Macerana.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 2:15 pm

That's too bad. I know this is getting off topic a bit but I love watching the videos of my wedding with my dad TRYING to do the Macerana.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat
When I got married, video cameras were not around.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/19/06 at 2:16 pm

I LOVE this song, I cry whenever I hear it.  The best performance was at my daughter's pre-school graduation, he class sang this for the parents.  There wasn't a dry eye in the house.   :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/19/06 at 2:18 pm

When I got married, video cameras were not around.

Oh, come on!  ::) ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 2:19 pm

Oh, come on!  ::) ;)
Back in 1979, video was for television companies only!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/19/06 at 2:34 pm

Really?

I never realized that... ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 2:38 pm

Really?

I never realized that... ???
There was Super8 Cine film, but the film would easily break. Back then it was a wonderful world.

Written By: Paul on 07/19/06 at 2:42 pm

The first one I saw at close range was at my mum and dad's 25th wedding anniversary (early '83)...

Our next-door neighbour managed to get his hands on one, but it wasn't like the dinky lil' hand-held things of today..oh no!

This contraption was half the size of Belgium and weighed a ton! (The camera, not my next-door neighbour!)

And it had no built-in light sensor, so someone had to get very close to the lens with a hand-held brilliant white lamp (which could have easily burnt your retinas out), in order to form a viewable image!

I'm sure my Ma still has the tape somewhere...not sure how long the video camera lasted!

Written By: CeeKay on 07/19/06 at 2:54 pm

Cat

That's a great story, Cat.  Great story for a great song.  I think it's a happy song.  Sure, there's lots in the world that sucks.  But there's also so much beauty and love too.  IMO, one does not cancel out the other. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/21/06 at 1:23 pm

I just realised the song was not written by Louis Armstrong  :-[, but by George Weiss/Bob Thiele...Yet I also heard it was written by Sam Cooke in 1960. I believe the Armstrong version - the best known - was only recorded about 1967. I've yet to hear any other versions, so my experience of the song is restricted to the Armstrong version (which is a tip-top version, I must say, it wouldn't be the same without his gravelly voice).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/06 at 1:27 pm

I just realised the song was not written by Louis Armstrong  :-[, but by George Weiss/Bob Thiele...Yet I also heard it was written by Sam Cooke in 1960. I believe the Armstrong version - the best known - was only recorded about 1967. I've yet to hear any other versions, so my experience of the song is restricted to the Armstrong version (which is a tip-top version, I must say, it wouldn't be the same without his gravelly voice).

Sam Cooke did do a song called Wonderful World (that the Herman's Hermits and Art Garfunkel did also) but it is a totally different song.

Cat

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/21/06 at 1:31 pm

Sam Cooke did do a song called Wonderful World (that the Herman's Hermits and Art Garfunkel did also) but it is a totally different song.

Cat

Oh that would explain it then. It's so confusing when there are two famous songs of the same title.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/06 at 1:38 pm

Cat

Oh that would explain it then. It's so confusing when there are two famous songs of the same title.

Hence the "What A" at the front of the title.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/06 at 2:46 pm

WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD

(George Weiss / Bob Thiele)

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"
They're really saying "I love you"

I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Oh yeah

What A Wonderful World

(Sam Cooke, James Taylor)

Don't know much about history,
        don't know much biology.
        Don't know much about a science book,
        don't know much about the french I took.
        But I do know that I love you,
        and I know that if you love me, too,
        what a wonderful world this would be.

Don't know much about geography,
        don't know much trigonometry.
        Don't know much about algebra,
        don't know what s slide rule is for.
        But I know that one and one is two,
        and if this one could be with you,

I don't claim to be an 'A' student,
        but I'm tryin' to be.
        For maybe by being an 'A'-student, baby,
        I can win your love for me.

Don't know much about history,
        don't know much biology.
        Don't know much about a science book,
        don't know much about the french I took.
        But I do know that I love you,
        and I know that if you love me, too,

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 07/21/06 at 4:46 pm

Joe Pesci did a wonderful cover of this song a few years back.  I actually own 2 different versions of the CD (one dirty and one clean), and he actually has a pretty good voice.  If you ever get a chance, check it out.

Of course, when I first saw this topic I had to remember Devo's "Beautiful World". 

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/22/06 at 12:04 pm

^^ Oh yeah, I know both of those songs. Though the first version of the latter I heard was the cover by Otis Redding, as part of his seminal 1965/1966 LP Otis Blue - Otis Redding Sings Soul.

Check for new replies or respond here...