inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'

Written By: Carl on 07/19/06 at 11:47 am

Maybe somebody has an answer to this, if what I heard has some validity

After this song was played on the radio, one of the announcers said Van doesn't do this song live anymore. Is there some reason for this? Is this even true also.

But it's still one of my favorite VM songs!  ::)

Subject: Re: Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 12:35 pm

This was originally called "Brown Skinned Girl," and was about an interracial relationship. Morrison changed it to "Brown Eyed Girl" to make it more palatable for radio stations. Some stations banned it anyway for the line, "Making love in the green grass."

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/21/06 at 8:42 am

Some stations banned it anyway for the line, "Making love in the green grass."

Shocking  ;D

Meanwhile, the same radio stations were happily playing "Walk On The Wild Side" by Lou Reed because they didn't know what it meant.

Meanwhile, they were busy making sure that every "Bloody" was bleeped out of "Bloody Red Baron" with the Royal Guardsmen sang "Snoopy vs The Red Baron"

Is it any wonder society has sunk down the plughole ?  ;D ;D ;D  ::) :P

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/06 at 11:52 am

There was an old country song by Conway Twitty that some radio stations banned cause of it's "suggestive lyrics" ...

"as I put my arms around you, i can tell you've never been this far before"

Nowadays, lyrics like those are Disney movies compared to the lyrics of today ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/21/06 at 1:16 pm

Maybe somebody has an answer to this, if what I heard has some validity

After this song was played on the radio, one of the announcers said Van doesn't do this song live anymore. Is there some reason for this? Is this even true also.

But it's still one of my favorite VM songs!  ::)

Good, I think that song is overrated anyway...though I'd imagine alot of people would goad poor ol' Van into playing it at gigs....It reminds me a bit about the Kurt and 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' thing, though this of course preceded it.

Check for new replies or respond here...