inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My Generation vs. Satisfaction

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/22/06 at 5:07 am

Both youth anthems of rebellion by legendary bands, both blared out of the airwaves and on record players from 1965. Which is the better encapsulation of the spirit of the Boomer youth, or the anthem for a disenchanted generation IYO?

Subject: Re: My Generation vs. Satisfaction

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/22/06 at 5:12 am

I'm assuming The Who vs. Rolling Stones?

Written By: mandamoo on 07/22/06 at 7:32 am

IMO 'My Generation' and I think it still holds up well today as an anthem - well it did in my day anyway  :D ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/22/06 at 11:25 am

I always liked Satisfaction better.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/22/06 at 11:45 am

I'm assuming The Who vs. Rolling Stones?

Yes, but I'm asking you to compare those specific songs. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/24/06 at 6:47 pm

My Generation

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/25/06 at 2:36 am

There both good, but I'd say Satisfaction.

Written By: bj26 on 07/31/06 at 11:11 am

imo, they were both protest songs but My Gen was more a protest for the whole group being put down by the establishment, eg, My generation lyrics, were, 'people try to put US down.....' 

Satisfaction was more a one to one protest, like just the establishment was against the one guy, hence the lyrics, 'when I (this and that)...and I can't get no...and same cigarrets as me, etc.'

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/01/06 at 1:06 am

imo, they were both protest songs but My Gen was more a protest for the whole group being put down by the establishment, eg, My generation lyrics, were, 'people try to put US down.....' 

Satisfaction was more a one to one protest, like just the establishment was against the one guy, hence the lyrics, 'when I (this and that)...and I can't get no...and same cigarrets as me, etc.'

Yeah, but that one man is sort of represents HIS generation, so in a way is a mouthpiece for the frustrations his generation feels. But nonetheless, that's not really important, what's important is what the individual listener gets out of the lyrics and the music of the song. The beauty of music is that a song can speak to different people in different ways.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/03/06 at 12:03 am

Satisfaction

Written By: schmartypantz on 08/04/06 at 10:19 pm

not an easy choice and after much deliberation, I'm going with Satisfaction.
it's that 'dada,dadaaaaaa,dadadada' hook. :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 5:12 am

Would it be fair to say My Generation was the anthem of the 'Mods', which the 'Rockers' 'anthem' was 'Satisfaction'? Both were popular with mainstream audiences - mainly teens - but I think, although the Who were never direct competitioners with the Stones (nor with the Beatles, really), the two bands polarized the mod/rocker wars of the mid 60s, which both groups allying themselves to each band. Mods were probably the more 'pop' of the two, while Rockers preferred heavy American blues/garage rock.

Written By: CeeKay on 08/31/06 at 4:10 pm

I went with "Satisfaction."  Generation wasn't quite as powerful in my experience.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/02/06 at 7:57 am

My Generation

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/06 at 8:03 am

I declare it a tie!

Written By: KKay on 09/02/06 at 8:33 am

i like the music to "my generation' better, and the words to 'satisfaction'..

but, if forced to choose one to listen to for hours and hours and hours? I'll take Generation.

Written By: memory on 09/04/06 at 10:57 pm

The Rolling Stones are begining to grow old on me. I used to really like them but lately I've just been feeling that they're not really that good.

The Who is way better in my opinion so I'm going ot say My Generation is the best.

Written By: nally on 09/09/06 at 12:37 pm

For now, I'm going with "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"... even though the oldies/classic rock stations in my area play the heck out of it.

Written By: spaceace on 10/01/06 at 3:27 pm

My Generation  I love the way it is song.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...