inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hardest Rocking Band Of the 60s

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/01/06 at 2:02 am

Which 60s band do you think rocked the hardest? I listened to some MC5 and Stooges from the late 60s, and they sounded as heavy as thrash/death metal of the 90s, and were just as raw, so I'd probably nominate them as loudest and harshest of 60s bands. Many garage bands like early Black Sabbath circa 1968-69 would fit the bill, while the psychedelic bands weren't as loud overall. The Detroit scene of the late 60s seems to have produced most of these proto-metal/thrash bands, with characters like Iggy Pop to match.

Subject: Re: Hardest Rocking Band Of the 60s

Written By: zotsfreak on 08/01/06 at 5:36 am

Which 60s band do you think rocked the hardest? I listened to some MC5 and Stooges from the late 60s, and they sounded as heavy as thrash/death metal of the 90s, and were just as raw, so I'd probably nominate them as loudest and harshest of 60s bands. Many garage bands like early Black Sabbath circa 1968-69 would fit the bill, while the psychedelic bands weren't as loud overall. The Detroit scene of the late 60s seems to have produced most of these proto-metal/thrash bands, with characters like Iggy Pop to match.

Your second sentence nailed it down, IMO!! MC5 and Iggy Pop were light years ahead of their time and have influenced countless bands since........

IGGYfreak

Written By: zcrito on 08/08/06 at 5:59 pm

Iggy ?
MC5 ?

Get serious (or serial ?). You know it was these guys...

http://www.modsandrockers.com/2000/images/monkees.jpg

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/17/06 at 12:01 am

Iggy ?
MC5 ?

Get serious (or serial ?). You know it was these guys...

http://www.modsandrockers.com/2000/images/monkees.jpg

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif
that's funny  ;D

Written By: fishryc on 08/23/06 at 5:00 pm

that's funny  ;D

No it is not funny!!  (just kidding; it is funny, but,  Let's not forget to acknowledge / respect: IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP, IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP, IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP, IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP, IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP, IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP!!

And furthermore, I.P. and STOOGES, STOOGES, STOOGES, STOOGES, STOOGES, STOOGES, STOOGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLUS- MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IGGYfreak / fishryc

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/23/06 at 5:29 pm

No it is not funny!!  (just kidding; it is funny, but,  Let's not forget to acknowledge / respect: IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP, IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP, IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP, IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP, IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP, IGGY POP, IGGY POP, IGGYB POP!!

And furthermore, I.P. and STOOGES, STOOGES, STOOGES, STOOGES, STOOGES, STOOGES, STOOGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLUS- MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5, MC5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IGGYfreak / fishryc

Dude, take a pill and calm down.

Hardest rocking band of the 60s.....I'd say a cross between the Stones and the Beatles.  Maybe throw the early Who in there for good measure.

Written By: fishryc on 08/23/06 at 6:01 pm

Dude, take a pill and calm down.

Hardest rocking band of the 60s.....I'd say a cross between the Stones and the Beatles.  Maybe throw the early Who in there for good measure.

Hi Sister Morphine!

We all have our favorites. AND we all have our personal level of passion regarding our humble opinions and favorites. Just because I am so very passionate about certain musicians, and am not inhibited about expressing that opinion, please do not tell me to "take a pill and calm down".

IMHO, IGGY POP = American Pioneer and Genius!!

As Popeye said in the 1945- ish cartoons "I Yam, what I Yam, what I Yam, what I Yam!!"

IGGYFREAK (=fishryc @ homr

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/23/06 at 6:05 pm

We all have our favorites. AND we all have our personal level of passion regarding our humble opinions and favorites. Just because I am so very passionate about certain musicians, and am not inhibited about expressing that opinion, please do not tell me to "take a pill and calm down".

Don't say hi.  Secondly, what is the point of constantly typing the person's name over and over and over and over again?  Do you think we can't read it if it's only typed once?  That's not showing passion....that's spam.

Hence why I told you take a pill and calm down.

Written By: fishryc on 08/23/06 at 6:18 pm

Don't say hi.  Secondly, what is the point of constantly typing the person's name over and over and over and over again?  Do you think we can't read it if it's only typed once?  That's not showing passion....that's spam.

Hence why I told you take a pill and calm down.

Over and over to express my passion for the above mentioned genious..................

"Don't say hi" (quote from you, sis)  Why not? Are you an unsatisfaied and frustrated typical liberal rather than a correct thinking right wing conservative female??  Lay down,  Chickiee!!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/23/06 at 7:15 pm

Over and over to express my passion for the above mentioned genious..................

"Don't say hi" (quote from you, sis)  Why not? Are you an unsatisfaied and frustrated typical liberal rather than conservative female??  Lay down,  Chickiee!!

I have no idea what that second sentence is supposed to mean.  I don't think I want to know.

Written By: zcrito on 08/24/06 at 5:17 pm

C'mon people. Chill out. This is "Before the 1970s" now. What would The Monkees think? Leave the anger in "The 2000s".

But as for the hardest working band in the '60s...

Let's see, it would have to be one that cranked out a lot of good quality LPs in that period and also did a mess of live shows too (which eliminates The Beatles since they stopped in '67) -- maybe The Who ? (that was a good pick).

(and how about just a person like James Brown?)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/24/06 at 7:17 pm

CCR

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/24/06 at 8:25 pm

CCR
seriously, I love Creedence Clearwater revival and I think they have some hard rocking songs, but for the Hardest Rocking Band I would choose Jimi Hendrix and one album *Are You Experienced*

Written By: loki 13 on 08/24/06 at 8:43 pm

I am surprised that no one has given Iron Butterfly any mention. I am not just talking about
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Iron Butterfly had some excellent, kick a$$ songs. Are You Happy,
Flowers And Beads, Get Out Of My Life, Woman. I saw Iron Butterfly once, though it was a
reunion tour and they were well passed their prime, they still played loud and heavy.

Written By: Tia on 08/24/06 at 9:19 pm

you're all so very very tragically wrong!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KSiWQwyijjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpcYigqBz1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHMCfEhdX1E

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/26/06 at 3:09 am

IGGYfreak / fishryc

I'm with you.  ;)

Written By: gmann on 09/06/06 at 10:56 pm

The Kinks *have* to rank high on the hard rock list. C'mon, as many kids were inspired by "You Really Got Me" to pick up a guitar as were by John, Paul, George and that other guy.  :) I'll second the nomination for the The Who. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/07/06 at 10:39 pm

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000001DYA.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Blue Cheer

these dudes kicked ass. IMO, they play the meanest, hardest rocking version of the song Summertime Blues. This whole album is quite tasty & very feisty for 1968

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/13/06 at 5:26 am

8) LED ZEPPELIN..best band EVER

Written By: fishryc on 09/13/06 at 6:56 pm

8) LED ZEPPELIN..best band EVER

C'Mon-

Thread = "PRE 19970's" = IGGY!!!!!!!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/13/06 at 10:40 pm

C'Mon-

Thread = "PRE 19970's" = IGGY!!!!!!!!
Led Zeppelin's first & second album were released in 69, so they can be included in the 60's, but barely.  8)

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/14/06 at 12:25 am

Led Zeppelin's first & second album were released in 69, so they can be included in the 60's, but barely.  8)
8) Thank you very much SIR! ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/14/06 at 12:49 am

8) Thank you very much SIR! ;D
I was 13 years old in 69 & remember listening to LZ and was blown away.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/14/06 at 12:54 am

I was 13 years old in 69 & remember listening to LZ and was blown away.
8) To me..Led Zep rules over any other band..they had such Diversity...I love others dearly but Zep rules! ;D

Written By: fishryc on 09/14/06 at 5:06 pm

8) To me..Led Zep rules over any other band..they had such Diversity...I love others dearly but Zep rules! ;D

I too acknowledge this.... However, am burnt out from hearing them (and most "Classic Rock" bands) over and over and over, and, yep over again on the "Classic Rock" airwaves......
The "Limited Interest",  "Cult", or "Non Mainstream" bands from this era are the true pioneers  (IMHO)........................

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/15/06 at 4:23 am

I too acknowledge this.... However, am burnt out from hearing them (and most "Classic Rock" bands) over and over and over, and, yep over again on the "Classic Rock" airwaves......
The "Limited Interest",  "Cult", or "Non Mainstream" bands from this era are the true pioneers  (IMHO)........................

8) I NEVER get burned out from hearing them ::)

Written By: fishryc on 09/18/06 at 7:22 pm

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000001DYA.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Blue Cheer

these dudes kicked ass. IMO, they play the meanest, hardest rocking version of the song Summertime Blues. This whole album is quite tasty & very feisty for 1968

THANK YOU BADFINGERFAN

NEVER heard of them, but, I just got it in my postbox today based on your recomendation of a couple weeks ago. Know what, THESE GUYS ARE GREAT, IMHO, and all "Great" music is an opinion and a personal thing. BUT-  thanks for introducing me to a band that I have never heard of................. AND THESE GUYS ARE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD  MAN ROCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thnk You, Thank You, Thank You..............................................................  Plus, my wife even likes it!

Also noteworthy IMO are, Captain Beefheart,  Robert Fripp, Brian ENO, Brian Ferry, and Gabriel from 68 to 73 WIK Genesis.

LMK if you have something else of this genre that I may be missing...............

TC, My Friend....................   IGGYFREAK..................

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/18/06 at 7:27 pm

NEVER heard of them, but, I just got it in my postbox today based on your recomendation of a couple weeks ago. Know what, THESE GUYS ARE GREAT, IMHO, and all "Great" music is an opinion and a personal thing. BUT-  thanks for introducing me to a band that I have never heard of.................

Also noteworthy IMO are, Captain Beefheart,  Robert Fripp, Brian ENO, Brian Ferry, and Gabriel from 68 to 73 WIK Genesis.

LMK if you have something else of this genre that I may be missing...............

TC, My Friend....................   IGGYFREAK..................

right on!  I first heard them at an all night party where we were all hallucinating, back in the early 70's and I still remember how great it sounded.  I am glad you got to partake in the music, i need to pick me up a CD of Blue Cheer myself. good stuff

Written By: fishryc on 09/18/06 at 7:38 pm

right on!  I first heard them at an all night party where we were all hallucinating, back in the early 70's and I still remember how great it sounded.  I am glad you got to partake in the music, i need to pick me up a CD of Blue Cheer myself. good stuff

I'm old and appreciate the stuff that is, as is this, TIMELESS........................

Thanks again

IGGYPOPFREAK..........................

Scott

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/18/06 at 7:45 pm

I'm old and appreciate the stuff that is, as is this, TIMELES........................

Thanks again

IGGYPOPFREAK..........................

Scott
you're welcome, the reviews on that band in CDNOW are all good. My personal review from that party is still VIVID in my memory. I will try to venture into some of the other bands you and others have mentioned and expand my library.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/19/06 at 2:21 am

I read a book that cited "Born to be Wild" as the first true heavy metal song (or, more precisely, the first to use that term in its lyrics), and I kinda agree. Late 1963-'67 definitely had some cutting edge (what we now call) "classic rock", but songs like this were the first sign of a darker subculture that would lead to '70s metal.

If we're talking about bands in general, I'd probably say The Who - they did stuff that made them punk rock before punk rock was popular. ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/19/06 at 2:29 am

I read a book that cited "Born to be Wild" as the first true heavy metal song (or, more precisely, the first to use that term in its lyrics), and I kinda agree. Late 1963-'67 definitely had some cutting edge (what we now call) "classic rock", but songs like this were the first sign of a darker subculture that would lead to '70s metal.

If we're talking about bands in general, I'd probably say The Who - they did stuff that made them punk rock before punk rock was popular. ;)
I strongly agree with the Born To Be Wild as the first true metal song. However I do remember more clearly being in awe of Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf when it released. Music like that hadn't been heard before, and we played those little .50 cent 45RPM records over and over, just couldn't get enough.

Written By: fishryc on 09/21/06 at 6:23 pm

Lets not forget which "Classic Movie" that "Born To Be Wild" first was heard uppon.  Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda, and Dennis Hopper's masterpiece "EASY RIDER"........................................................

S

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/21/06 at 7:46 pm

Lets not forget which "Classic Movie" that "Born To Be Wild" first was heard uppon.  Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda, and Dennis Hopper's masterpiece "EASY RIDER"........................................................

S
That biker movie and the soundtrack are definitely not forgotten.  Today I picked up 1967 The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Are You Experienced" and it is so good. it came out 39 years ago.  just 3 guys, Jimi on lead guitar, Mitch Mitchell on drums, and Noel redding on bass. They created a phenomenal sound that even to this day, still satisfies a thirsty rock and roll soul.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/21/06 at 9:29 pm

8) I agree..you havent been Experienced untill you have heard Jimi..he was a CLASSIC

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/21/06 at 11:30 pm

Would you say Jimi was the first person to really influence heavy metal?

You could say metal started in 1967 (even if it didn't get a name until "Born to Be Wild"). I'd say just as many people were influenced by his guitar playing as they were his music, if not more.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/21/06 at 11:52 pm

Would you say Jimi was the first person to really influence heavy metal?

You could say metal started in 1967 (even if it didn't get a name until "Born to Be Wild"). I'd say just as many people were influenced by his guitar playing as they were his music, if not more.
In the movie White Men Can't Jump, Wesley Snipes asks Woody Harrelson, do you hear Jimi or do you just listen to him? I think Jimi was the first one that people really took notice of in regards to Heavy Metal. His guitar play was like a special effects machine that emitted some of the most powerful, beautiful electric guitar sounds unlike anything heard before. Just a man & his guitar. I think when Jimi played he took off on a  journey & when you listened to his music, you went with him to wherever he took you, & you went gladly.  8)

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/22/06 at 4:05 am

In the movie White Men Can't Jump, Wesley Snipes asks Woody Harrelson, do you hear Jimi or do you just listen to him? I think Jimi was the first one that people really took notice of in regards to Heavy Metal. His guitar play was like a special effects machine that emitted some of the most powerful, beautiful electric guitar sounds unlike anything heard before. Just a man & his guitar. I think when Jimi played he took off on a  journey & when you listened to his music, you went with him to wherever he took you, & you went gladly.  8)
8) Very well said...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/22/06 at 4:32 am

8) Very well said...
thanks, just my true feelings about Hendrix. 

darker subculture is a good description, there was almost something dangerous, especially when Folk music had just been very huge just the a couple of years before. When Dylan tried to play his "new" stuff, granted it wasn't heavy metal, but he got booed because the audience still wanted to hear Blowin In The Wind, There was still a beatnik crowd wanting poetry and simple acoustic guitar, but bands like Steppenwolf, & the British Invasion sure helped wet our appetites for the more dangerous beginning sounds of metal, groups like The Who, The Stones, Jimi and so many others.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/22/06 at 11:53 pm

8) I always thoght Janis Joplin Rocked Too...She was hardcore, heavydrinkin..( Southern Comfort), Rockin Chick...

Written By: Trimac20 on 09/24/06 at 11:24 am

'Born To Be Wild' is too often cited as the first metal song. Partly because it was the first instance where the phrase 'Heavy metal..(thunder)' was used. But to me, B.T.B.W. doesn't really fit into the mould of what we think of as metal. It's more classic rock in style - though the two genres often get confused. 'Whole Lotta Love' by Led Zep is the other contender - it was released over a year later, but I think it's more bonafide heavy metal than B.T.B.W.

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/06 at 6:02 pm

Steppenwolf ... one of Canada's finest entries in the 60s music scene 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 12:19 am

'Born To Be Wild' is too often cited as the first metal song. Partly because it was the first instance where the phrase 'Heavy metal..(thunder)' was used. But to me, B.T.B.W. doesn't really fit into the mould of what we think of as metal. It's more classic rock in style - though the two genres often get confused. 'Whole Lotta Love' by Led Zep is the other contender - it was released over a year later, but I think it's more bonafide heavy metal than B.T.B.W.

Yeah, BTBW was basically (for 1968) "hard classic rock" - which happened to have a name coined from one of its lyrics. Real heavy metal was darker in imagery, I'd say Black Sabbath was the first truly successful metal band. Not necesarilly the first, but the one who really popularized it (kinda like Elvis was to basic rock and roll),

Check for new replies or respond here...