inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sesame Street being 60s

Written By: Brendan McClelland on 08/08/06 at 4:32 pm

Does Sesame Street count as a 60s show? If not then what decade is Sesame Street an icon of?

Subject: Re: Sesame Street being 60s

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/06 at 6:05 pm

Sesame Street premiered on November 10, 1969. Even though it started VERY late in the decade, it is started in the decade so I would say it was a 60s show-but others may differ in that opinion.  (But didn't get "famous" until the 70s of course because it was only on the air for 2 months in the 60s)

Cat

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/08/06 at 11:56 pm

First with the Simpsons, now Sesame Street...for crying out loud, just because some begins in a decade does not make it a '60s' show. It is a '60s show' only that is began in that decade, but overall it doesn't belong to any decade.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/10/06 at 5:22 pm

First with the Simpsons, now Sesame Street...for crying out loud, just because some begins in a decade does not make it a '60s' show. It is a '60s show' only that is began in that decade, but overall it doesn't belong to any decade.

Yeah, I agree. In some ways Sesame Street is 'timeless' in that it doesn't really belong to any paticular decade. To me it's a '90s show because that's the decade that I most remember watching it in. But it might also be considered and '80s show to an '80s kid, '70s to a '70s kid, etc.

Written By: Roadgeek on 08/11/06 at 12:35 am

Now, I was born in very late 1989 and I don't consider myself as a child of the '80s. I was alive in the '80s, but just for about a month. That goes for Sesame Street as well.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/11/06 at 1:00 am

Now, I was born in very late 1989 and I don't consider myself as a child of the '80s. I was alive in the '80s, but just for about a month. That goes for Sesame Street as well.

Yeah, I was alive for 3 years in the '80s, but i'm defidently not an '80s child either.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/11/06 at 2:00 am

Yeah, I agree. In some ways Sesame Street is 'timeless' in that it doesn't really belong to any paticular decade. To me it's a '90s show because that's the decade that I most remember watching it in. But it might also be considered and '80s show to an '80s kid, '70s to a '70s kid, etc.

If you have to classify it into one decade, I would say it's CLOSEST to the 70s...the Sesame Street set had that 70s/Fat Albert/Rocky sort of semi-'ghetto' feel to it, lol.

Written By: CeeKay on 08/11/06 at 12:43 pm

I was 11 when Sesame Street debuted.  But K was only four or five.  I still remember sitting with her to watch the first episode.  Sesame Street and Electric Company (and Zoom) quickly became PBS favorites for us.  And in my mind....if I had to classify them...I'd say they were all 70s shows.

Check for new replies or respond here...