inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Long John Baldry

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/06 at 4:07 am

Does anyone remember British born blues musician Long John Baldry?

He was known in the late 60s for a few hits, most notably "Let the Heartaches Begin" which was a #1 hit in the UK in 1967, and "Mexico" which was the theme to the 1968 Olympics

In 1978, he moved to Vancouver and became a Canadian Citizen, and with the release of his 1979 album "Baldry's Out", he scored two big hits in Canada with the songs "Come and Get Your Love" and a cover of the Righteous Brothers classic "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling", the latter which also reached the Top 10 in Australia.  In the 80s and 90s, he did lots of voice work for cartoons including "The Ewoks" and "Sonic the Hedgehog".  He passed away in July of 2005  :\'(

Subject: Re: Long John Baldry

Written By: Paul on 08/15/06 at 7:22 am

He was known in the late 60s for a few hits, most notably "Let the Heartaches Begin" which was a #1 hit in the UK in 1967, and "Mexico" which was the theme to the 1968 Olympics

Both hits were a long, long way from his original blues origins, but none the worse for that...the guy had a terrific voice...

Reg Dwight (who was with him in Bluesology), swiped one half of his name to become Elton John...and Baldry was the 'someone' in Elton's 'Someone Saved My Life Tonight' (a song about Elton's contemplation of suicide before he hit the big-time...)

I can't confirm to be certain, but I think he was the tallest person ever to have a British #1...!!

Written By: schmartypantz on 08/15/06 at 10:46 am

Baldry is always fun to listen too. He did a great version of Iko Iko and of course Don't Lay no Boogie Woogie on the King of Rock n Roll.
:)

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/15/06 at 1:36 pm

I only remember him for "(Walk Me Out In The) Morning Dew", one of my all time favourites, which hit #18 in Dutch Top 40 in 1981.
Reason enough for me! :)

"Let The Heartaches Begin" reached #24 in late 1967, btw. I know "Hold Back The Daybreak" and "Mexico" were also released as singles, but those didn't chart.

Written By: bj26 on 08/16/06 at 7:05 am

Wow, now this is someone I haven't thought about for decades!  I either remember him from Shindig, Hullabaloo or one of those 60s movies that showed a lot of groups, remember those shows, kind of like the videos we have now but on the big screen?

Written By: danootaandme on 08/16/06 at 8:57 am

Long John Baldry is legendary.  He was an inspiration for Clapton, Stewart, Jeff Beck, who all played with him at one time or another.  My favorite album is Everything Stops for Tea, which I believe was re-issued.  Favorite song-Come Back Again- it would be nice if he could.

Check for new replies or respond here...