inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Etta James

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/24/06 at 11:37 pm

ETTA JAMES

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/59/Myetta.jpg

Etta James (b. Jamesetta Hawkins January 25, 1938 in Los Angeles, California) is an American Blues, R & B, Jazz and gospel singer. She is also known by the nickname Miss Peaches.

Early Life

Born to an unmarried 14-year-old mother (she claims that Minnesota Fats was her father), she received her first professional vocal training at the age of 5, from James Earle Hines, musical director of the Echoes of Eden choir at St. Paul Baptist Church in Los Angeles.

Her family moved to San Francisco, California in 1950, and in 1952 the trio (the Creolettes) she had formed with two of her friends came to the attention of Johnny Otis. Otis reversed the syllables of her first name to give her her stage name and began recording her.

Career & Rise to Fame
Her first record, and her first R & B hit, was her own composition, "The Wallflower (Dance with Me, Henry)," an answer song to Hank Ballard's "Work with Me, Annie". She recorded it in 1954 with the Otis band and Richard Berry, who sang the second vocal. The song was later a hit in the white market for Georgia Gibbs, re-written as "Dance with Me, Henry". She briefly recorded as Etta James & the Peaches, releasing several hits before signing to Chess Records in 1960.  She toured with Johnny "Guitar" Watson along with Otis in the '50s, and has cited Watson as the penultimate influence on her style.

James released several duets with Harvey Fuqua (of The Moonglows) that became major R&B hits, as well as her classic "At Last". The song, along with other early hits "All I Could Do Was Cry" and "Trust in Me," was included on her debut album At Last!.

In 1967, James recorded "Tell Mama" and its flip side "I'd Rather Go Blind", with "At Last" perhaps her most enduring song (and her biggest pop single, at #23 on the Hot 100), in Muscle Shoals. Her singing is characterized by accomplished vocal technique and strong jazz influences. She won the Grammy for best jazz vocal in 1994 for her CD Mystery Lady, a collection of songs associated with Billie Holiday, and in 2004 won the Grammy for best contemporary blues album with Let's Roll. In 2003 she received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.

To a younger generation, Etta is known for the Muddy Waters song "I Just Wanna Make Love To You", used in television commercials for Coca-Cola and for John Smith's bitter. The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry and Foghat have also recorded the song. Etta's version was a surprise Top 10 UK hit in 1995.

Drug-related and romantic problems interfered with her career, but James managed to maintain a career throughout the latter half of the 20th century. Later in life, James struggled with obesity. She reached more than 400 pounds, experienced mobility and knee problems, and often needed a wheelchair. In 2003, James underwent gastric bypass surgery and lost over 200 pounds.

James was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Blues Hall of Fame. Her pioneering contribution to the genre has been recognized by the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. In 2003 she received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She was still touring in 2006.

Albums

Album Year Label  

At Last! 1961 Chess  
The Second Time Around 1961 Chess  
Etta James: Top Ten 1963 Cadet  
Etta James Rocks the House 1964 Chess  
Tell Mama 1968 Chess  
Etta James 1973 Cadet  
Come a Little Closer 1974 Chess  
Deep In the Night 1978 Bullseye  
The Right Time 1992 Elecktra  
Love's Been Rough On Me 1997 Private  
Life, Love & the Blues 1998 Private  
Matriach of the Blues 2000 Private  
Blue Gardenia 2001 Private  
Burnin' Down the House: Live At the House of Blues 2002 Private  
Let's Roll 2003 Private  
All the Way 2006 Private

Singles

"The Wallflower (Dance With Me, Henry)"
"Good Rockin' Daddy"
"If I Can't Have You" (Duet With Harvey Fuqua)  
"Spoonful"
"All I Could Do Was Cry"
"My Dearest Darling"
"At Last"
"Trust In Me"  
"Fool That I Am"
"Dream"  
"Don't Cry, Baby"  
"Something's Got a Hold on Me"  
"Stop the Wedding"  
"Pushover"  
"Two Sides (To Every Story)"  
"Tell Mama"  
"Security"  
"I Got You Babe"
"Almost Persuaded"  
"Sound of Love"
"All the Way Down"

Subject: Re: Etta James

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/24/06 at 11:37 pm

I love At Last and one of the few people I've heard sing it and sing it right, is Christina Aguilera.

Written By: Marian on 01/13/07 at 3:55 pm

ETTA JAMES

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/59/Myetta.jpg

Etta James (b. Jamesetta Hawkins January 25, 1938 in Los Angeles, California) is an American Blues, R & B, Jazz and gospel singer. She is also known by the nickname Miss Peaches.

Early Life

Born to an unmarried 14-year-old mother (she claims that Minnesota Fats was her father), she received her first professional vocal training at the age of 5, from James Earle Hines, musical director of the Echoes of Eden choir at St. Paul Baptist Church in Los Angeles.

Her family moved to San Francisco, California in 1950, and in 1952 the trio (the Creolettes) she had formed with two of her friends came to the attention of Johnny Otis. Otis reversed the syllables of her first name to give her her stage name and began recording her.

Career & Rise to Fame
Her first record, and her first R & B hit, was her own composition, "The Wallflower (Dance with Me, Henry)," an answer song to Hank Ballard's "Work with Me, Annie". She recorded it in 1954 with the Otis band and Richard Berry, who sang the second vocal. The song was later a hit in the white market for Georgia Gibbs, re-written as "Dance with Me, Henry". She briefly recorded as Etta James & the Peaches, releasing several hits before signing to Chess Records in 1960.  She toured with Johnny "Guitar" Watson along with Otis in the '50s, and has cited Watson as the penultimate influence on her style.

James released several duets with Harvey Fuqua (of The Moonglows) that became major R&B hits, as well as her classic "At Last". The song, along with other early hits "All I Could Do Was Cry" and "Trust in Me," was included on her debut album At Last!.

In 1967, James recorded "Tell Mama" and its flip side "I'd Rather Go Blind", with "At Last" perhaps her most enduring song (and her biggest pop single, at #23 on the Hot 100), in Muscle Shoals. Her singing is characterized by accomplished vocal technique and strong jazz influences. She won the Grammy for best jazz vocal in 1994 for her CD Mystery Lady, a collection of songs associated with Billie Holiday, and in 2004 won the Grammy for best contemporary blues album with Let's Roll. In 2003 she received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.

To a younger generation, Etta is known for the Muddy Waters song "I Just Wanna Make Love To You", used in television commercials for Coca-Cola and for John Smith's bitter. The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry and Foghat have also recorded the song. Etta's version was a surprise Top 10 UK hit in 1995.

Drug-related and romantic problems interfered with her career, but James managed to maintain a career throughout the latter half of the 20th century. Later in life, James struggled with obesity. She reached more than 400 pounds, experienced mobility and knee problems, and often needed a wheelchair. In 2003, James underwent gastric bypass surgery and lost over 200 pounds.

James was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Blues Hall of Fame. Her pioneering contribution to the genre has been recognized by the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. In 2003 she received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She was still touring in 2006.

Albums

Album Year Label  

At Last! 1961 Chess  
The Second Time Around 1961 Chess  
Etta James: Top Ten 1963 Cadet  
Etta James Rocks the House 1964 Chess  
Tell Mama 1968 Chess  
Etta James 1973 Cadet  
Come a Little Closer 1974 Chess  
Deep In the Night 1978 Bullseye  
The Right Time 1992 Elecktra  
Love's Been Rough On Me 1997 Private  
Life, Love & the Blues 1998 Private  
Matriach of the Blues 2000 Private  
Blue Gardenia 2001 Private  
Burnin' Down the House: Live At the House of Blues 2002 Private  
Let's Roll 2003 Private  
All the Way 2006 Private

Singles

"The Wallflower (Dance With Me, Henry)"
"Good Rockin' Daddy"
"If I Can't Have You" (Duet With Harvey Fuqua)  
"Spoonful"
"All I Could Do Was Cry"
"My Dearest Darling"
"At Last"
"Trust In Me"  
"Fool That I Am"
"Dream"  
"Don't Cry, Baby"  
"Something's Got a Hold on Me"  
"Stop the Wedding"  
"Pushover"  
"Two Sides (To Every Story)"  
"Tell Mama"  
"Security"  
"I Got You Babe"
"Almost Persuaded"  
"Sound of Love"
"All the Way Down"

I believe Minnesota fats did acknowledge being her father.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/07 at 9:33 am

Love Etta 

Check for new replies or respond here...