inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Monkees

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/28/06 at 10:13 pm

I have renewed my love for the Monkees by getting both seasons of their 19966-67 show on dvd!! Whoo-yah!! Of course, I have their music on cds and on mp3!!!! I still think they should get some form of respect for being good pop entertainment. I just wish some music snobs will get over themselves and let them be the superstars they were!!!

Btw, who's your favorite one, and favorite song?

Micky and Davy for me, though Peter's grown on me.

Favorite songs? Words, Last Train to Clarksville, Pleasant Valley Sunday, She, All of Your Toys, Take a Giant Step, Star Collector, and Daydream Believer.

Subject: Re: The Monkees

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/29/06 at 12:48 am

Micky and Peter.  Micky was the weird guy who would be fun to date and mess around with, but Peter was the more serious musician of the 4 and he was in my opinion, the cutest. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/29/06 at 1:16 am

I loved their show, these guys were very funny, much like the Beatles in A Hard Days Night & Help.  My older brother & I faithfully watched the episodes and I am envious of you Tanya, having those 2 seasons on DVD, what fun you'll have. I have a bunch of episodes on VHS, taped from tv, probably old and worn. I liked them all, but Mickey was my favorite, Davy & Peter & Mike were all enjoyable. The Monkee Mobile was a cool car http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mfzuRxFA4YA_tijzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=122jhukra/EXP=1159596915/**http%3a//www.raiderslinks.com/images/gto/hey.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/06 at 1:57 am

I liked All of Them

...and like them today.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/29/06 at 8:35 am

[quote author=

Written By: KKay on 09/29/06 at 1:01 pm

Mickey all the way.
I always went for blondes, but Peter was just not interesting enough; but Mickey is, in my opinion the best singer.

Written By: CeeKay on 09/29/06 at 1:09 pm

Davey was always my #1.  I had a serious crush on him when I was a kid.  That cute face and the accent....oh boy.  Peter I thought was cute too.  And I liked that he was just kinda quiet and a little goofy. 

Written By: Mushroom on 09/29/06 at 4:58 pm

[quote author=

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 7:54 pm

I used to absolutly adore Micky, till I met Peter.  He is sooo charming, funny and down to Earth.  So, with apologizes to George Michael Dolenz.  Peter is my personal favorite. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/29/06 at 8:34 pm

I used to absolutly adore Micky, till I met Peter.  He is sooo charming, funny and down to Earth.  So, with apologizes to George Michael Dolenz.  Peter is my personal favorite. :)

Yeah, seriously Peter grew on me. When I was much younger, I had the hots for Davy. But now, I'm looking at the rest of them more attentively!! I outgrew Davy, I guess.

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 8:51 pm

Growing up I never liked Peter, till I got to hang out with him.  I still have the Christmas Card he sent me.  His band Shoe Suade Blues is a grat band too. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/29/06 at 8:57 pm

Growing up I never liked Peter, till I got to hang out with him.  I still have the Christmas Card he sent me.  His band Shoe Suade Blues is a grat band too. :)

I'm trying to catch them in about a week here in CA!

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 9:48 pm

Shoe Suade Blues is a one heck of a band to see.  If you can request that Peter sing "Mustang Sally"  he nails that song.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/06 at 9:50 pm

I had a mad crush on Davy Jones! :-*

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 9:53 pm

DAAAVVVYYY!!!  You've got to give him credit he has aged well. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/06 at 9:56 pm

DAAAVVVYYY!!!  You've got to give him credit he has aged well. :)

he's still a cutie!

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 10:07 pm

Yes, he is.  I think he's starting to realize his age though.  Recent pictures show that his hair is greying.  He still has the Davy Jones charm though.  Did you see the special he did on British Royalty?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/29/06 at 10:08 pm

I think Peter has aged the best out of the 4.

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 10:10 pm

Peter hasn't aged!!!!  He still is as hip as ever. 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/06 at 10:11 pm

Yes, he is.  I think he's starting to realize his age though.  Recent pictures show that his hair is greying.  He still has the Davy Jones charm though.  Did you see the special he did on British Royalty?

no, I didn't see that.

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 10:16 pm

It was on either The Biography channel or A&E.  He did such a good job with it though.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/06 at 1:41 am

Shoe Suade Blues is a one heck of a band to see.  If you can request that Peter sing "Mustang Sally"  he nails that song.

I will!!! Is his dimples still there??

As for Davy, he was my first English crush. The only thing was the height! As I got older, the others had more of an appeal to me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/06 at 2:20 am

I missed that, can you tell me more please?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/30/06 at 2:23 am

I missed that, can you tell me more please?

It was shown here in the States.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/06 at 2:29 am

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/30/06 at 3:50 am

Was it a documentary?

It was a week-long series.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/06 at 3:53 am

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/30/06 at 4:06 am

What was it called?

The Royals, I believe.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/06 at 4:08 am

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/30/06 at 4:15 am

Last question on this subject, how long ago was it on?

I don't know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/06 at 6:15 am

[quote author=

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/06 at 6:21 am

The Royals, I believe.
Was it called Meet the Royals and was boardcasted about 2003?

Written By: AH3RD on 09/30/06 at 12:58 pm

I remember first seeing The Monkees TV show in a marathon on MTV on that fateful Sunday back in late February 1986 (to coincide with the group's 20th anniversary) along with my sister @ our grandmother's. Those live-action cartoon SFX, those musical numbers...boy, they sure had a profound effect on me. (I remember thinking to myself, "I could swear I'd seen this before"!) They virtually (and still do!) got rich off me, as, in the 14+ years since, I squandered the lot purchasing and collecting LPs, audiocassettes, CDs, books, cards, videocassettes, magazine articles and TV Guide listings of original firstrun episodes of The Monkees on NBC (the last 2 items in the form of xeroxed photocopies). I also have been a proud subscriber to The Monkee Business Fanzine right up to the very end.

My favorite Monkees album is Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd.. My favorite Monkees songs are "Randy Scouse Git", "For Pete's Sake", "Star Collector," "She Hangs Out" (Part 2), "Tear The Top Right Off Of My Head," "Tear Drop City," and "I Don't Think You Know Me". My favorite episodes of The Monkees TV series are "Mijacogeo" (a.k.a. "The Frodis Caper"), "The Monkees On The Wheel", "Art For Monkee's Sake",

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/06 at 4:02 pm

I remember first seeing The Monkees TV show in a marathon on MTV on that fateful Sunday back in late February 1986 (to coincide with the group's 20th anniversary) along with my sister @ our grandmother's. Those live-action cartoon SFX, those musical numbers...boy, they sure had a profound effect on me. (I remember thinking to myself, "I could swear I'd seen this before"!) They virtually (and still do!) got rich off me, as, in the 14+ years since, I squandered the lot purchasing and collecting LPs, audiocassettes, CDs, books, cards, videocassettes, magazine articles and TV Guide listings of original firstrun episodes of The Monkees on NBC (the last 2 items in the form of xeroxed photocopies). I also have been a proud subscriber to The Monkee Business Fanzine right up to the very end.

My favorite Monkees album is Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd.. My favorite Monkees songs are "Randy Scouse Git", "For Pete's Sake", "Star Collector," "She Hangs Out" (Part 2), "Tear The Top Right Off Of My Head," "Tear Drop City," and "I Don't Think You Know Me". My favorite episodes of The Monkees TV series are "Mijacogeo" (a.k.a. "The Frodis Caper"), "The Monkees On The Wheel", "Art For Monkee's Sake",

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 4:39 pm

Yes, he's still got the dimple. He also still wears his belt buckle on the side.  I got started with the Monkees during their 20th Aniversary.  I can still remember hearing "That Was then This is Now" on the radio.  Then there was the 16 magazines.  MTV had a Monkees Marathon called Pleasant Valley Sunday.  Yep, 24 hours of sheer bliss. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/06 at 5:26 pm

Yes, he's still got the dimple. He also still wears his belt buckle on the side.  I got started with the Monkees during their 20th Aniversary.  I can still remember hearing "That Was then This is Now" on the radio.  Then there was the 16 magazines.  MTV had a Monkees Marathon called Pleasant Valley Sunday.  Yep, 24 hours of sheer bliss. :)

I do remember a bit of the 20th anniversary as well as 16! My goodness.

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 5:37 pm

Do you remember the T.V. special they did in the 90's with Mike?  I also remember when they were guest vj's on MTV.  It's a shame I don't have my 16 magazines anymore.  But I managed to get the pictures I had on my wall off the net. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1luvu.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/30/06 at 5:39 pm

Do you remember the T.V. special they did in the 90's with Mike?  I also remember when they were guest vj's on MTV.  It's a shame I don't have my 16 magazines anymore.  But I managed to get the pictures I had on my wall off the net. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1luvu.gif

Mike was a hottie back in the day.  That accent and that little hat?  *swoon*

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 5:52 pm

Yeah, he was hot.  I was on his website last month.  He's shaved off the beard.  Mike alway has had a no nonsense attitude which I found quite appealing.  I will be the first person to admit he is a great musician. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/color.gif

Written By: Mushroom on 09/30/06 at 6:28 pm

There was also a docudrama movie made a few years called Daydream Believer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241357/

Peter Tork even had a cameo in it, and on the DVD there are interviews with Micky, Davy, and Peter.  It was amazingly well done and I still pull it out once in a while to watch again.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/06 at 6:35 pm

I don't recall the special, but I do recall the guest vjing!
There was also a docudrama movie made a few years called Daydream Believer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241357/

Peter Tork even had a cameo in it, and on the DVD there are interviews with Micky, Davy, and Peter.  It was amazingly well done and I still pull it out once in a while to watch again.

That is a very good docudrama on them. They managed to find lookalikes galore for them!!

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 6:58 pm

This special had the real Monkees in it. It was on ABC.  Why am I thinking it was called "Hey, Hey Were The Monkees".  I know the docudrama you guys are talking about.  Yes, it was very well done.  The guys also did a guess spot on Nick Video. :)

Written By: GlamDiva on 09/30/06 at 9:46 pm

watching them in the 70s Peter and Davey were my faves.

Written By: PMS on 10/12/06 at 5:48 pm

I don't know why, but I always had a crush on the drummer of any band (Peter, Ringo etc) Maybe it's because I sense their gift of rhythm...

Written By: spaceace on 10/12/06 at 6:11 pm

Peter???  Yes, Ringo was drummer for the Beatles, but who did Peter drum for?  Micky Dolenz was the drummer for the Monkees. ::)

Written By: KKay on 10/12/06 at 7:53 pm

see? how cute! i love him!

Written By: hot_wax on 10/12/06 at 9:04 pm

THEY WERE A NICE MANUFACTURED BAND FOR THE TV SHOW AND JUST AN OK BUBBLE GUM SING SONG GROUP...UH OH! HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT, WERE WE GO AGAIN...ANY BITES? 

Written By: spaceace on 10/13/06 at 4:32 pm

Anyone here have the Monkees cd Justus?  It is one of their best works yet!!! :) :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/14/06 at 12:10 am

I just saw a concert they did, (they played and sang themselves  :o) with some backups,  and it was quite chaotic, the music was lacking, however the girls were going completely ga ga over the Monkees and the screams drowned out the sound. he Monkees all came on one at a time performing until they were all out there. It was a fun thing to witness, The Monkees were being quite dramatic on stage and giving their fans all that they could.

Written By: spaceace on 10/14/06 at 2:35 pm

Yeah, the guys woulds complain that they couldn't hear themselves sing.  Was the concert from the "60's"?  Now the concerts are less chaotic, now they're like one big sing-a-long. :)

Written By: KKay on 10/14/06 at 3:00 pm

speaking of Monkees, I just finished watching HEAD.

Written By: spaceace on 10/14/06 at 3:08 pm

I have that movie!!!  What's your favorite scene?  I like the scene when they're in the dinner. :)

Written By: KKay on 10/14/06 at 3:12 pm

I have that movie!!!  What's your favorite scene?  I like the scene when they're in the dinner. :)

I love that; and the Davey Jones song and dance (so cute)

Written By: spaceace on 10/14/06 at 3:14 pm

Do you know who is dance partner is in that scene?  It was Toni Basil. :)

Written By: KKay on 10/14/06 at 3:48 pm

Do you know who is dance partner is in that scene?  It was Toni Basil. :)

it was!  i can see her still...i love how the whole thing is done, with the alternating black and white.

Written By: spaceace on 10/14/06 at 4:09 pm

Yep, it was Toni.  She did the choreography for the movie.  In the back of my mind I still think the song Mickey was for a certain someone. 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/14/06 at 5:18 pm

Yeah, the guys woulds complain that they couldn't hear themselves sing.  Was the concert from the "60's"?  Now the concerts are less chaotic, now they're like one big sing-a-long. :)
Yes, it had to be, they still looked very young and were capitalizing on their TV success. The screaming, crying teenage girls was very reminiscent of the Beatles fans going wild.

Written By: spaceace on 10/14/06 at 5:39 pm

To an extent they were capitalizing on the Beatles.  By the time the Monkees were in full swing (pardon the pun ;D)  the Beatles were doing Sargent Pepper which appealed to the average 16 year old.  Meanwhile their 8 year old sibling was listening to and watching the Monkees. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/14/06 at 5:47 pm

To an extent they were capitalizing on the Beatles.  By the time the Monkees were in full swing (pardon the pun ;D)  the Beatles were doing Sargent Pepper which appealed to the average 16 year old.  Meanwhile their 8 year old sibling was listening to and watching the Monkees. :)
they appealed to 8 year olds, and some kids that were a little bit older  ::)  Most bands can credit the Beatles for helping to induce an excitement for rock/pop music as never seen before, and just about any group that came on the radio or appeared on tv, had their music greedily gobbled up by youngsters.

Written By: spaceace on 10/14/06 at 5:52 pm

True, how very true. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/14/06 at 6:15 pm

True, how very true. :)
;D I can't believe I just now got your pun.  I think in slow motion

Written By: spaceace on 10/14/06 at 7:40 pm

;D ;D  Slow day, huh?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/15/06 at 1:16 am

;D ;D  Slow day, huh?
nah, I tend to skim and end up missing something good. happens all the time. good monkee joke, even if pun not intended.

Written By: spaceace on 10/15/06 at 1:30 pm

So, I'm not the only one who speed reads. :)

Written By: ralfy on 03/29/16 at 11:44 pm

"The Monkees Plot 50th Anniversary Tour, New LP 'Good Times!'"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-monkees-plot-50th-anniversary-tour-new-lp-good-times-20160205

Written By: ralfy on 05/28/16 at 11:05 pm

"Happy anniversary! 50 years of Monkees business"

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/entertainment/2016/05/10/monkees-50-years-music/84181314/

Written By: Howard on 05/29/16 at 2:48 pm

"Happy anniversary! 50 years of Monkees business"

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/entertainment/2016/05/10/monkees-50-years-music/84181314/

Happy Anniversary to The Monkees. :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/29/16 at 7:55 pm

Heard there is a big tour.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...