inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lawrence Welk Show

Written By: star500 on 09/30/06 at 8:38 pm

Hey did anyone here watch the Lawrence Welk show? I watch it with my mom and sister when it comes on WPBS every Saturday at 7:00. My mom watched it when it first came on TV. She told me it used to come on at 10:00 on Sundays at the time. She loved the show at the time and still likes it now. It is fun to watch because it was such an innocent time and everything about the show is so sweet.  A little too sweet at times but none the less, it's good.

My favorite people on the show are Mary Lou, Jack Imel, the Lennon Sisters, Jo Ann Castle and of course, Lawrence Welk himself. The show just wouldn't be complete without him.

I've included a picture of the "Welk Family" for those people who are not familiar with the show.

Subject: Re: Lawrence Welk Show

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 9:44 pm

My Dad is a big fan of Lawrence Welk (Wunderful, Wunderful!)  I loved the champagn bubbles at the end of the show.  Bobby was my favorite regular on the show.  I remember watching him on the Micky Mouse Club. :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/30/06 at 10:37 pm

8) I used to watch Lawrence Welk with my grandmother, she loved him...and Bob Barker..lol...

Written By: Wiffle on 09/30/06 at 10:44 pm

Yes, my grandmother always loved to watch Lawrence Welk. She died a few years ago aged 98. If I saw Lawrence Welk now, I would watch it.

When we look back at the old shows, they seem so bland, not "extreme" like everything has to be in order to get attention today. It would be a pleasure to watch a young person playing an accordian today, instead of watching people beat up their parents (Viva la Bam) and other rude things.

I didn't realize it was on PBS. I think I will set up our DVR to record it each week. Thank you!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/02/06 at 4:07 pm

When I was a kid back in the 70's, my parents would always watch the Lawrence Welk show at 6:00 every Saturday evening. I have fond memories of running out the front door and finding some friends to play with just so I wouldn't have to watch this dreck.  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMuObcMwGxA

Written By: fishryc on 10/05/06 at 5:56 pm

8) I used to watch Lawrence Welk with my grandmother, she loved him...and Bob Barker..lol...

And, maybe, Bob Barkers show from the 1960's, "Truth Or Consequences"!...........................

I was young and we did not have "Cable TV in the late 60's  / 70's.

Hence, I was subject to whatever my folks chose to watch..............

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/05/06 at 7:54 pm

And, maybe, Bob Barkers show from the 1960's, "Truth Or Consequences"!...........................

I was young and we did not have "Cable TV in the late 60's  / 70's.

Hence, I was subject to whatever my folks chose to watch..............
8) Yep..I had to watch whatever the parents watched too..

Written By: Abix on 10/05/06 at 10:16 pm

I LOVED THE LAWRENCE WELK SHOW!!!!
Gail and Glen were my favorite couple, followed by Bobby and Sissy when they did the dances together. The Lennon Sisters were always beautiful in their rainbow hued maxidresses. And of course Myron Florian on his 'squeezebox'..   and now  a word from our sponsor, Geritol.

oops, I always thought their names were Glen and Gail.. I guess it's Guy and Ralna. I just saw a clip on youtube.. oops  :P

Written By: hot_wax on 10/05/06 at 11:47 pm

I WAS ABOUT 8 YEARS OLD AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH JANET LENNON AT FIRST SIGHT. I USED TO HIDE BEHIND THE SOFA AND PEEK AROUND IT TO WATCH HER SING BECAUSE WAS EMBARRASSED AND SHY OF MY FEELINGS, SHE USED TO GIVE ME BUTTERFLIES IN MY BELLY AND MADE MY PEE PEE HARD WHEN I WATCHED HER. IT WENT ON FOR AWHILE AND NOTICED NOT ONLY JANET DID THAT TO ME THEN BUT DIANE, CYNTHIA AND LANI IN MY CLASS DID THE SAME THING TO ME ALSO AND I LIKED IT AND DID ALL THE KID THINGS TO BECOME A BOY FRIEND TO EACH OF THEM...SPIN THE BOTTLE GIRLS?

STRANGE, BUT THE LAWRENCE WELK SHOW LEAD ME ON THE ROAD TO BECOMING A MAN AND THAT WAS "WUNDAFUL WUNDAFUL".

HOT WAX   

Written By: Wiffle on 10/06/06 at 12:29 am

I WAS ABOUT 8 YEARS OLD AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH JANET LENNON AT FIRST SIGHT. I USED TO HIDE BEHIND THE SOFA AND PEEK AROUND IT TO WATCH HER SING BECAUSE WAS EMBARRASSED AND SHY OF MY FEELINGS, SHE USED TO GIVE ME BUTTERFLIES IN MY BELLY AND MADE MY PEE PEE HARD WHEN I WATCHED HER. IT WENT ON FOR AWHILE AND NOTICED NOT ONLY JANET DID THAT TO ME THEN BUT DIANE, CYNTHIA AND LANI IN MY CLASS DID THE SAME THING TO ME ALSO AND I LIKED IT AND DID ALL THE KID THINGS TO BECOME A BOY FRIEND TO EACH OF THEM...SPIN THE BOTTLE GIRLS?

STRANGE, BUT THE LAWRENCE WELK SHOW LEAD ME ON THE ROAD TO BECOMING A MAN AND THAT WAS "WUNDAFUL WUNDAFUL".

HOT WAX   

Hey, Hotwax?

Simmerdown, you wildman!

Glad you like Lawrence Welk!

Written By: GlamDiva on 10/07/06 at 11:10 am

I was forced to watch it.... My Father liked that and HEE HAW

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/07/06 at 12:16 pm

:o AARRGG..I forgot about HeeHaw....Couldnt stand it

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/07/06 at 1:20 pm

Mine too. I haven't seen Hee-Haw in years, I've wondered if it's one of those shows that went over my head when I was a kid and if I would like it now.

My parents wouldn't force me to watch either of these shows, I'd just go outside and play with my friends, some of whom were in the same predicament.

Even if there was a thunderstorm.

Written By: hot_wax on 10/09/06 at 4:10 pm

YESTERDAY THERE WAS A 1965 RE-RUN OF A LAWRENCE WELK SHOW ON NJR CABLE STATION, BECAUSE OF THIS POST I WATCHED ALL THE WAY THROUGH, AND I NEVER DID THAT BEFORE AND TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH IT WASN'T A BAD SHOW. IT WAS SQUEAKY CLEAN AND NICIE NICE LIKE EVERYONE OF HIS OTHER 1000 SHOWS BEFORE IT, BOBBY AND HIS PARTNER DANCED POLKAS IN THE BEGINING OF THE SHOW AND SURPRISINGLY DID A DANCE ROUTINE OF ALL THE 1960'S ROCK AND ROLL DANCES AND THEY WERE REALLY GOOD DANCING ON THE STAGE MADE UP WITH PSYCHEDELIC LIGHTS FOR EFFECT, WAY OUT THERE FOR A WELK SHOW, EVERYONE ELSE'S ACT WAS TRUE TO WELK'S FORMAT.

OVERALL, IF YOU WATCHED HIS FIRST SHOW IN 1955 IT WAS SAME THING IN 1965, THE BUBBLES AND GERITOL WERE ALWAYS THERE EVERY WEEK...HIS FORMAT WORKED FOR HIM SO YOU CAN'T KNOCK SUCCESS.

OH YEAH, JANET WASN'T THERE YESTERDAY EITHER...I WAS DISAPPOINTED. 

HW     

Written By: PMS on 10/12/06 at 5:41 pm

My grandma loved that show. EXCEPT for Arthur Duncan (the best tap dancer there ever was). She was a fabulous grandma, but had this very horrid prejudice against blacks. I found this very embarassing at times. I loved Arthur Duncan and when we were five or six years old my neighbor Tommy and I would try to dance like him every time we saw him on the show.

Written By: nally on 10/12/06 at 5:43 pm

My grandma has always been a fan of this show (and still is).

Written By: spaceace on 10/12/06 at 5:47 pm

I told my Dad about this message on the message board, he just chuckled.  He was surprised I would ever admit to watching the Lawrence Welk Show.  I think I made his day!!! :)

Written By: hot_wax on 10/12/06 at 8:39 pm

My grandma loved that show. EXCEPT for Arthur Duncan (the best tap dancer there ever was). She was a fabulous grandma, but had this very horrid prejudice against blacks. I found this very embarassing at times. I loved Arthur Duncan and when we were five or six years old my neighbor Tommy and I would try to dance like him every time we saw him on the show.

UNFORUNATE, BUT THAT'S HOW IT WAS BACK THEN, AND I'D SAY ABOUT 99% OF LAWRENCE WELK'S AUDIENCE THOUGHT THAT WAY BECAUSE MOST HIS HIS FANS WERE MIDDLEAGED TO SENIOR CITIZENS BACK THEN WHO WERE IMMAGRANTS FROM EAST EUROPEAN COUNTRIES WHO HAD MAJOR PREJUDICES AGAINST WHITE PEOPLE WHO WEREN'T FROM THE COUNTRY THEY WERE FROM, SO YOU SEE WHERE THE BLACKS WERE ON THEIR LIST.

ARTHUR WAS THE TOKEN BLACK FOR THAT TV SHOW, I THINK, REQUIRED BY LAW BACK THEN, AND I THINK HE HATED HIMSELF FOR DANCING LIKE A NICE LITTLE WHITE BOY FOR WELK'S AUDIENCE, HE WAS 1000 TIMES A BETTER DANCER THEN THE PUPPET SHOW HE'D PUT ON FOR WELK EVERY WEEK, BUT HE MADE GOOD LIVING AT IT.

HW

Written By: fishryc on 10/13/06 at 6:01 pm

ARTHUR WAS THE TOKEN BLACK FOR THAT TV SHOW, I THINK, REQUIRED BY LAW BACK THEN, AND I THINK HE HATED HIMSELF FOR DANCING LIKE A NICE LITTLE WHITE BOY FOR WELK'S AUDIENCE, HE WAS 1000 TIMES A BETTER DANCER THEN THE PUPPET SHOW HE'D PUT ON FOR WELK EVERY WEEK, BUT HE MADE GOOD LIVING AT IT.

HW

As I said in an earlier response, I had no choice but to watch this with my family, and was young enough and without hard set opinions to "understand" that this programing was good entertainment. And I do now agree; it was safe, simple, wholesome, family stuff.
Anyway, Arthur was one of our favorites; along with "Joanie", the often Honky Tonk pianist (I still remember how controversial it was when she became pregnant and still performed on the show in a very baggy black dress), Hooper, the bass singer, and a female singer named "Tanya", perhaps LW's daughter?

S

Written By: Wiffle on 10/16/06 at 2:20 am

Because of this thread, I set my DVR to record this each week. My husband is going to think I am nuts!  :D

Written By: hot_wax on 10/16/06 at 1:58 pm

Because of this thread, I set my DVR to record this each week. My husband is going to think I am nuts!  :D

i'm confused, what are you going to record?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/19/06 at 2:26 am

We watched the Lawrence Welk show faithfully in the 60's, not by choice, but because my mom loved it. Her accent was very similar to Mr Welks German accent. The polkas, the accordion, the family sings, the dancing. This was like the Von Trapp family from  The Sound Of Music in real life, and even today, it holds up well, and it's nice to put something on that you know will be pure, simple family entertainment. I watch enough crap.  My wife loves the LW Show too.

Written By: Wiffle on 10/19/06 at 11:01 pm

i'm confused, what are you going to record?

Star Trek... duh!  :D

Written By: hot_wax on 10/20/06 at 2:38 pm

Star Trek... duh!  :D

HA HA HA! ON WHAT STATION IS THE L W SHOW RE-RUNS BEING SHOWN ON? I'D TUNE IN JUST TO SEE IF JANET WAS ON.

Written By: Wiffle on 10/20/06 at 8:02 pm

HEER IT IS ON PBS! LOL

Written By: hot_wax on 10/21/06 at 1:04 am

HEER IT IS ON PBS! LOL

thanks, i'll lookup their programing for the week and see if it's being shown all over their network and maybe tune in and check it out...for janet.

Written By: hot_wax on 10/21/06 at 1:29 am

thanks, i'll lookup their programing for the week and see if it's being shown all over their network and maybe tune in and check it out...for janet.

I JUST LOOKED UP THE PBS PROGRAM SCHEDULE AND A LAWRENCE WELK SPECIAL SHOW IS GOING TO AIRED IN THE NEW YORK AREA OCTOBER 21 AT 6:00 PM ON CHANNEL 21 WLIW.

MUSIC FROM THE "MUSIC MAN" IS GOING TO BE FEATURED...NO JANET.

Written By: hot_wax on 10/22/06 at 11:57 pm

I JUST LOOKED UP THE PBS PROGRAM SCHEDULE AND A LAWRENCE WELK SPECIAL SHOW IS GOING TO AIRED IN THE NEW YORK AREA OCTOBER 21 AT 6:00 PM ON CHANNEL 21 WLIW.

MUSIC FROM THE "MUSIC MAN" IS GOING TO BE FEATURED...NO JANET.

I missed the 10/21 show but today 10/22 at 4:00 pm I was flicking channels and the LW show was on that WLIW station and it was in black and white and saw Janet, she was singing "Buttons and Bows" with her sisters. I'll check next week for the show...for Janet. 

Written By: micah on 10/23/06 at 3:19 pm

My 96 year old Grandmother adores him. She got to see him live back in the late 1960's and he picked her out of the audience to dance with him. She never missed watching his tv show and still watches the reruns.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/17/06 at 8:41 pm

Since I've been recoperating from my injury and a shut-in I watch TV or I'm writing on the 00's 24/7, so lately I try to tune in the Lawrence Welk re-run shows at 4:00 PM on Sundays (on football commercials) to  keep a look out for Janet, but strangly I'm enjoying that intertainment more and more, I'm 59 and understand it now that I'm older, and maybe I'm turning into one of those old fogies in his audience, who most all are dead today, but with these re-runs being watched by the War Baby Generation today, like me, we are being brain washed to replace them.

Mr. LW, what a businessman!

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/02/07 at 7:58 am

Art Duncan should be in those Black History magazines. And my grandma would watch that show. The thing I enjoy from Lawrence Welk is his strong German accent and does he have a Polka episode?

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/02/09 at 2:19 pm

I know this topic SHOULD be dropped...but SNL has made a couple of parodies of "THe Lawrence Welk Show"....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/37752/saturday-night-live-the-lawrence-welk-show

http://www.hulu.com/watch/73360/saturday-night-live-lawrence-welk#x-4,cClips,1

Check for new replies or respond here...