inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Broadway musicals turned into movies. Any favorites?

Written By: spaceace on 10/05/06 at 4:44 pm

I was just watching Finian's Rainbow for about the 15th time.  I was wondering what other people's favorite or favorites are? :)

Subject: Re: Broadway musicals turned into movies. Any favorites?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/05/06 at 5:29 pm

Cabaret
Grease
Rocky Horror Picture Show

Written By: spaceace on 10/05/06 at 5:31 pm

Grease is an ALL TIME classic.  Haven't seen Cabaret yet. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/06 at 6:01 pm

Didn't care too much for the movie of Cabaret.  For me:

Oliver
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Finian's Rainbow
Hello Dolly
Fiddler on the Roof
The Music Man
Just about all the Rogers & Hammerstein's: i.e. South Pacific, The Sound of Music, Carousel, Oklahoma.
Gypsy (with Bette Midler)

I'm sure there is more.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/05/06 at 6:08 pm

The Music Man with Shirley Jones and Robert Preston is wonderful.  I've watched The Sound of Music about 1600 times. (okay, slight exaggeration)  DVDs are such a wonderful thing! :)

Written By: hot_wax on 10/05/06 at 11:51 pm

WESTSIDE STORY...IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST EVER AND STILL IS TODAY. HW

Written By: Tam on 10/06/06 at 1:11 am

Most definitely Grease
West Side Story
Chicago
and Rent!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/06/06 at 1:12 am

All That Jazz

wait a sec, is this thread for before the 70's?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/06 at 1:17 am

Oliver!
The Sound of Music
South Pacific
Carousel

All before 1970.

Written By: Tam on 10/06/06 at 1:22 am

All That Jazz

wait a sec, is this thread for before the 70's?

It is! Oops!! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/06 at 1:24 am

Oliver!
The Sound of Music
South Pacific
Carousel

All before 1970.
Please add Half A Sixpence to my list.

Written By: bj26 on 10/06/06 at 7:14 am

Hair
Godspell
Jesus Christ Superstar

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/06 at 11:09 am

Please add Half A Sixpence to my list.

Oh man, I thought I was the only one who has even HEARD of Half a Sixpence. I love it so much that I bought it on DVD.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/06 at 1:45 pm

Oh man, I thought I was the only one who has even HEARD of Half a Sixpence. I love it so much that I bought it on DVD.

Cat
I remember being taken to see it in the cinema at a tender young age.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/06 at 1:59 pm

I remember being taken to see it in the cinema at a tender young age.

Me too. I also remember seeing "The Most Happiest Millionaire" with it (also with Tommy Steele). Remember that one?

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/06 at 2:08 pm

Me too. I also remember seeing "The Most Happiest Millionaire" with it (also with Tommy Steele). Remember that one?

Cat
Remember yes indeed, but only on TV for me. Tommy Steele has always been a favourite of mine, especially Tommy The Toreador.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/06 at 2:17 pm

Remember yes indeed, but only on TV for me. Tommy Steele has always been a favourite of mine, especially Tommy The Toreador.

I don't recall ever seeing that one-but I may have. He is a favorite of mine, too. He was good but hasn't done anything in YEARS!!!

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/06 at 2:19 pm

I don't recall ever seeing that one-but I may have. He is a favorite of mine, too. He was good but hasn't done anything in YEARS!!!

Cat
Tommy The Toreador was not a musical (as on stage), but a film with songs in it written by Lionel Bart (Oliver!).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/06 at 2:49 pm

Tommy The Toreador was not a musical (as on stage), but a film with songs in it written by Lionel Bart (Oliver!).

I'll have to see if Netflix has it (and if they do, I have to twist Carlos' arm  ;) )

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/06/06 at 6:15 pm

This is blissfull, I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! :)

Written By: spaceace on 10/06/06 at 6:20 pm

Tommy Steele played in Finian's Rainbow.  I love West Side Story.  (Natalie Wood was incredible)  Jesus Christ Superstar was quite inavative for it's time. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/06 at 6:24 pm

Tommy Steele played in Finian's Rainbow.  I love West Side Story.  (Natalie Wood was incredible)  Jesus Christ Superstar was quite inavative for it's time. :)

The problem I have with Natalie Wood in West Side Story (and Gypsy), as well with a lot of other movie versions of musicals, WHY, WHY, WHY do they insist on casting people in musicals who can't sing or dance??  ??? ??? ???

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/06/06 at 6:28 pm

Here's my theory!  Most people in "Real Life" can't sing... therefore in order to portray "real life" talent is not a necessity.  BUT Natalie Woods does look PURTY don't ya think??? ;D

Written By: hot_wax on 10/07/06 at 5:49 pm

The problem I have with Natalie Wood in West Side Story (and Gypsy), as well with a lot of other movie versions of musicals, WHY, WHY, WHY do they insist on casting people in musicals who can't sing or dance??   ??? ??? ???

THEY TRIED TO CAST HER IN SURFER MOVIES BUT SHE'S THE ONLY WOOD THAT WOULD NOT FLOAT.

BAD JOKE ...SORRY

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/08/06 at 12:41 pm

THEY TRIED TO CAST HER IN SURFER MOVIES BUT SHE'S THE ONLY WOOD THAT WOULD NOT FLOAT.

BAD JOKE ...SORRY

Yeah, REALLY bad. BOO HISS! (Besides, I have heard that joke before.  ;) )

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/08/06 at 12:48 pm

West Side Story
Sweet Charity

Written By: spaceace on 10/08/06 at 5:43 pm

I just saw "Fiddler on the Roof" for the dirst time, I loved it. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/08/06 at 11:30 pm

Hell, how can I forget Bye Bye Birdie?  :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/06 at 12:23 am

I spent last night listening to Les Miserables on the radio, that was just wonderful.

Written By: Paul on 10/09/06 at 6:52 am

Tommy Steele has always been a favourite of mine, especially Tommy The Toreador.

'Little White Bull'?

Aaarrrgh!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/06 at 12:16 pm

I spent last night listening to Les Miserables on the radio, that was just wonderful.

You should see "Les Miserables in Concert". VERY powerful production.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/06 at 1:18 pm

You should see "Les Miserables in Concert". VERY powerful production.

Cat
I do plan to see it in one form or other.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/06 at 1:39 pm

I do plan to see it in one form or other.

"In Concert" was a one time preformance that they filmed. Just watching it on video was very powerful I can imagine how it was sitting in the audience that night. One thing that I liked about it, at the end, they had 17 guys who played Jean Valjean around the world come out and they all sang one of the songs in their own language. It was really cool. I am getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

Cat

Written By: retro_rose on 10/09/06 at 7:41 pm

Hi! I'm new here. In response to the question: I love Broadway musicals! I have a lot of favorites but if I had to pare them down, I would say my top faves are "Fiddler On The Roof", "Oklahoma!", "Gypsy", "Carousel", and I don't know if this counts, but "The Wizard of Oz".  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/06 at 1:12 am

"In Concert" was a one time preformance that they filmed. Just watching it on video was very powerful I can imagine how it was sitting in the audience that night. One thing that I liked about it, at the end, they had 17 guys who played Jean Valjean around the world come out and they all sang one of the songs in their own language. It was really cool. I am getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

Cat
The song Bring Him Home always gives me goosebumps.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/06 at 12:19 pm

The song Bring Him Home always gives me goosebumps.

I cannot watch that without bawling my eyes out. "A Little Fall of Rain" and "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables" (and a few others) just kills me.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/06 at 12:21 pm

Hi! I'm new here. In response to the question: I love Broadway musicals! I have a lot of favorites but if I had to pare them down, I would say my top faves are "Fiddler On The Roof", "Oklahoma!", "Gypsy", "Carousel", and I don't know if this counts, but "The Wizard of Oz".  :)

Welcome. You should check out the section "All the World's a Stage". We talk about Broadway musicals as well as non-musical plays.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/06 at 10:00 am

I cannot watch that without bawling my eyes out. "A Little Fall of Rain" and "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables" (and a few others) just kills me.

Cat
Now listening to the same broadcast for the third time.

Written By: tokjct on 01/17/07 at 11:23 pm

One of the first musicals I ever saw on Broadway was KISMET, which was starring Alfred Drake and Doretta Morrow.  I had, what turned out to be, the best luck...We went on their day off.  We had the privilege of seeing William Johnson in the starring roll.  He was fantastic.  I mean, I think Alfred Drake was great but Bill Johnson was really super. 

In the movie...Howard Keel and Ann Blythe were OK...but they just couldn't match the Broadway cast. 

Written By: tokjct on 01/17/07 at 11:40 pm

I have a bunch of favorite shows that were made into fine movies.

My Fair Lady
Annie
South Pacific
and all the Rogers and Hammerstein stuff...Oklahoma, Carousel, etc.
West Side Story
A Chorus Line
Damn Yankees

I  particularly enjoyed the movie version of "Stop the World."
Anthony Newly starred in the Broadway production and was wonderful.
But the movie was made with the star of the London production, Tony Tanner.  He gave an entirely fresh and exciting performance in the leading role.

I loved the Broadway production of Pippin.  I saw it twice...(never with Ben Vereen until they came out with a fine video of an HBO Production made in Toronto,) but always with a wonderful "leading player"...Northern Calloway and Sam Wright.  But...I don't think that they ever produced Pippin as a Hollywood musical

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/07 at 1:02 pm

I have a bunch of favorite shows that were made into fine movies.

My Fair Lady
Annie
South Pacific
and all the Rogers and Hammerstein stuff...Oklahoma, Carousel, etc.
West Side Story
A Chorus Line
Damn Yankees

I  particularly enjoyed the movie version of "Stop the World."
Anthony Newly starred in the Broadway production and was wonderful.
But the movie was made with the star of the London production, Tony Tanner.  He gave an entirely fresh and exciting performance in the leading role.

I loved the Broadway production of Pippin.  I saw it twice...(never with Ben Vereen until they came out with a fine video of an HBO Production made in Toronto,) but always with a wonderful "leading player"...Northern Calloway and Sam Wright.  But...I don't think that they ever produced Pippin as a Hollywood musical

I didn't care too much for My Fair Lady-only because of Audrey Hepburn. I didn't think she did a good job in the role and why do they always insist on casting people who can't sing in musicals? (Same with West Side Story) I was disappointed with both Annie & A Chorus Line (saw both of them on Broadway and it just didn't compare). I do agree with you about the R & H movies-they were all well done. Damn Yankees was ok but probably could have been better (I own a copy of it).

If you want to see a GOOD production of Stop the World-I saw it with Peter Scolari & Stephanie Zimbalist. It was recorded on stage and when they showed it on t.v. I recorded it. They both did an OUTSTANDING job.

I have yet to see Pippin.  :-[

Cat

Written By: tokjct on 01/20/07 at 2:39 pm

I didn't care too much for My Fair Lady-only because of Audrey Hepburn. I didn't think she did a good job in the role and why do they always insist on casting people who can't sing in musicals? (Same with West Side Story) I was disappointed with both Annie & A Chorus Line (saw both of them on Broadway and it just didn't compare). I do agree with you about the R & H movies-they were all well done. Damn Yankees was ok but probably could have been better (I own a copy of it).

If you want to see a GOOD production of Stop the World-I saw it with Peter Scolari & Stephanie Zimbalist. It was recorded on stage and when they showed it on t.v. I recorded it. They both did an OUTSTANDING job.

I have yet to see Pippin.  :-[

Cat

I agree with you...Without question, the stage version was far superior to the screen version of My Fair Lady.  The woman who's voice was used for Audrey Hepburn was Marnie Nixon.  You might find the following article of interest:

"You might not know Marni Nixon's name, or recognize her face. But it's very likely that you have heard her sing.

Nixon dubbed the voices for Deborah Kerr in The King and I, Natalie Wood in West Side Story and Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady -- three of Hollywood's biggest movie musicals. Her new memoir, I Could Have Sung All Night, is being published this week.

Nixon, 76, has had a career that defies categorization. She has performed on Broadway and in opera houses, hosted an Emmy Award-winning children's television show and is a well-regarded singing teacher in New York.

Born in Southern California, Nixon had become a sought-after singer by the time she was a teenager. She had perfect pitch, and an ability to read any piece of music handed to her, no matter how difficult. She even premiered works by composers such as Igor Stravinsky.

Because she was such an excellent musician, Marni Nixon worked constantly, dubbing voices for Hollywood studios. In 1954, she got a call to ghost Deborah Kerr's voice in The King and I. Kerr understood that she needed to be dubbed, and Nixon says their relationship was very collegial.

"Whenever there was a song to be sung in a scene, I would get up and stand next to her and watch her while she sang and she would watch me while I sang," Nixon says. "After we recorded that song, she would have to go to the filming of it and mouth to that performance."

Twentieth Century Fox was so protective of Kerr that Nixon had to sign a contract saying she would never reveal the ghost-singing on The King and I. The story later came out in the press, when Kerr herself credited Nixon's work in an interview.

In the more than 40 years since My Fair Lady, Nixon has only appeared in one movie. In The Sound of Music, she plays Sister Sophia, one of the nuns singing "How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria?"

Nixon never became as famous as the actresses she worked with. But she is hoping her new book will set the record straight about her very recognizable voice.

(From NPR)

Written By: tokjct on 01/20/07 at 2:59 pm

I agree that most of the screen versions of the Broadway musicals are simply not as good...in terms of the individual performances of the actors.  I don't think that a motion picture can capture the "magic" of sitting in a legitimate theater and watching a live performance. 

One of my favorite live shows was "The Fantastiks."  Did they ever make a screen version?

BTW The video of PIPPIN, with Ben Vereen, was taken, I believe, from a live performance
done up in London, Ontario, and produced by HBO.  Very good.  But the performance by Northern Calloway, who was one of the stars of Sesame Street, was amazing.  I understand that Mr. Calloway has passed away.  Too bad...he was a wonderful performer. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/07 at 3:06 pm

I agree with you...Without question, the stage version was far superior to the screen version of My Fair Lady.  The woman who's voice was used for Audrey Hepburn was Marnie Nixon.  You might find the following article of interest:

"You might not know Marni Nixon's name, or recognize her face. But it's very likely that you have heard her sing.

Nixon dubbed the voices for Deborah Kerr in The King and I, Natalie Wood in West Side Story and Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady -- three of Hollywood's biggest movie musicals. Her new memoir, I Could Have Sung All Night, is being published this week.

Nixon, 76, has had a career that defies categorization. She has performed on Broadway and in opera houses, hosted an Emmy Award-winning children's television show and is a well-regarded singing teacher in New York.

Born in Southern California, Nixon had become a sought-after singer by the time she was a teenager. She had perfect pitch, and an ability to read any piece of music handed to her, no matter how difficult. She even premiered works by composers such as Igor Stravinsky.

Because she was such an excellent musician, Marni Nixon worked constantly, dubbing voices for Hollywood studios. In 1954, she got a call to ghost Deborah Kerr's voice in The King and I. Kerr understood that she needed to be dubbed, and Nixon says their relationship was very collegial.

"Whenever there was a song to be sung in a scene, I would get up and stand next to her and watch her while she sang and she would watch me while I sang," Nixon says. "After we recorded that song, she would have to go to the filming of it and mouth to that performance."

Twentieth Century Fox was so protective of Kerr that Nixon had to sign a contract saying she would never reveal the ghost-singing on The King and I. The story later came out in the press, when Kerr herself credited Nixon's work in an interview.

In the more than 40 years since My Fair Lady, Nixon has only appeared in one movie. In The Sound of Music, she plays Sister Sophia, one of the nuns singing "How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria?"

Nixon never became as famous as the actresses she worked with. But she is hoping her new book will set the record straight about her very recognizable voice.

(From NPR)

It is a shame. They should have just cast her instead of these Hollywood names who couldn't sing.

Cat

Written By: ralfy on 11/18/15 at 12:06 pm

"Restored 'My Fair Lady' returns to theaters to mark 50th anniversary, plus more local movie events"

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2015/10/restored_my_fair_lady_returns.html

Written By: Howard on 11/18/15 at 2:32 pm

How about movies turned into Broadway musicals such as "The Wiz" Broadway musical is coming to TV, How do you think It'll do compared to 1978? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...