inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was 1963 its own era in music?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 6:35 pm

For a long time, I've always maintained that the "60s" '60s music began with the Beatles on Ed Sullivan in early '64, and that anything before then was just the late '50s (culturally). However, now that I think about it, 1963 seemed to be the very beginning of what would become classic and harder rock (i.e. "Louie Louie"), as well as somewhat livelier, more upbeat songs than the mostly ballady pop scene of 1959-62 (i.e. "Do You Love Me").

Subject: Re: Was 1963 its own era in music?

Written By: hot_wax on 10/06/06 at 7:57 pm

For a long time, I've always maintained that the "60s" '60s music began with the Beatles on Ed Sullivan in early '64, and that anything before then was just the late '50s (culturally). However, now that I think about it, 1963 seemed to be the very beginning of what would become classic and harder rock (i.e. "Louie Louie"), as well as somewhat livelier, more upbeat songs than the mostly ballady pop scene of 1959-62 (i.e. "Do You Love Me").

PRETTY MUCH THE DOO WOP AND SOUL GROUPS DOMINATED THE CHARTS IN 63 WITH THE BEGININGS OF FOLK MUSIC BREAKING INTO THE CITY CHARTS. YES, THE BEATLES CHANGED EVERYTHING IN 64.

HW

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/06 at 8:10 pm

PRETTY MUCH THE DOO WOP AND SOUL GROUPS DOMINATED THE CHARTS IN 63 WITH THE BEGININGS OF FOLK MUSIC BREAKING INTO THE CITY CHARTS. YES, THE BEATLES CHANGED EVERYTHING IN 64.

HW

ow! my ears ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 8:16 pm

HW

Good point.

Would you consider Peter Paul and Mary to be the beginning of this change, too? Like, "Blowing in the Wind" came out in '63 and sorta sounds like a very beginner "60s" song. I believe this was also when The Beach Boys began to get popular with songs like "Surfin USA" (the surf culture was sort of like an update of the mid '50s Malt Shop culture, and in a way, also influenced the '60s).

Written By: hot_wax on 10/07/06 at 5:25 pm

Good point.

Would you consider Peter Paul and Mary to be the beginning of this change, too? Like, "Blowing in the Wind" came out in '63 and sorta sounds like a very beginner "60s" song. I believe this was also when The Beach Boys began to get popular with songs like "Surfin USA" (the surf culture was sort of like an update of the mid '50s Malt Shop culture, and in a way, also influenced the '60s).

YES, I FORGOT THAT SURFING AND CAR SONGS FROM JAN AND DEAN WERE POPULAR IN 63 ALSO. "BLOWING IN THE WIND" CHANGED MY VIEW ON FOLK MUSIC AND ATTITUDE TOWARDS LIFE IT'S SELF, AND YES TOO, P P AND M AND DYLAN LEAD THE WAY PRIMING US FOR THE CULTURAL CHANGE IN 64 AND THEN THE BEATLES CAME AND CHANGED OUR WORLD.

Written By: Nostalgic on 10/08/06 at 10:34 am

1963 would have been a good time to live in (musically). Peter, Paul and Mary released Blowin' In The Wind and Puff The Magic Dragon. Motown was starting to gain popularity in the U.S. I think the biggest Motown song that year was Heat Wave by Martha And The Vandellas. If you were in the U.K., you would have heard of the Beatles in 1963 of course!

Written By: Trimac20 on 10/10/06 at 1:52 am

I'm beginning to think the dichotomisation of the 60s into the 'early 60s' (pre-JFK, pre-Beatlemania) and 'late 60s' - while of course extremely valid - perhaps simplifies the issue. The period 1963-1966 was perhaps the most tumultuous and revolutionary in music history (arguably). 1963 was probably the beginning of this. I think '63 was probably the end of the 'real' folk - i.e. Greenwich village scene of the Kingston Trio, Dylan, Joan Baez - with more poppier stuff like P&P&P, Dylan's 'Blowin' in the Wind'. Folk 'sold out' (some say it began when Dylan went electric). Other than that, the American scene in '63 was very stagnant - like the British scene in the late 50s/early 60s, it needed something to really invigorate it - as much as some many argue, I think the British Invasion really kick-started the rise of rock in the remainder of the 60s.

Written By: hot_wax on 10/10/06 at 6:55 pm

I'm beginning to think the dichotomisation of the 60s into the 'early 60s' (pre-JFK, pre-Beatlemania) and 'late 60s' - while of course extremely valid - perhaps simplifies the issue. The period 1963-1966 was perhaps the most tumultuous and revolutionary in music history (arguably). 1963 was probably the beginning of this. I think '63 was probably the end of the 'real' folk - i.e. Greenwich village scene of the Kingston Trio, Dylan, Joan Baez - with more poppier stuff like P&P&P, Dylan's 'Blowin' in the Wind'. Folk 'sold out' (some say it began when Dylan went electric). Other than that, the American scene in '63 was very stagnant - like the British scene in the late 50s/early 60s, it needed something to really invigorate it - as much as some many argue, I think the British Invasion really kick-started the rise of rock in the remainder of the 60s.

I AGREE WITH YOU ON MOST OF YOUR POINTS EXCEPT FOR FOLK SCENE. ME BEING ONE OF THE MILLIONS OF IGNORANT MASSES WHO DIDN'T GET IT. TO ROCKER AND ROLLERS FOLK SONGS WEREN'T COOL TO LISTEN TO BEFORE 63. IT TOOK PP/M " BLOWING IN THE WIND" TO WAKE-UP OUR FEELINGS AND OUR UNDERSTANDING FOLK SONG LYRICS.

UP UNTILTHEN, GREENWICH VILLAGE COFFEE HOUSE STAGES WERE THE ONLY FORUM FOR FOLK SINGERS TO REACH US BEFORE 63. THEY WROTE POEMS AND SANG SONGS ABOUT SOCIETY'S ILLS IN BUT REALY COULDN'T DO ANYTHING CONCRETE TO CHANGE THE WORLD. FOLK MUSIC WAS PIGEON HOLED TO THE HIP BEATNIC CULTURE WHO ONLY GAVE A COOL SNAPPING OF THIER FINGERS APPLAUDING THE FOLKS SINGERS WORDS BUT NO REAL EFFORT WAS MADE BY THAT GENERATION TO MAKE ANY CULTURAL CHANGES.

VIA THE AIRWAVES, PP/M AND DYLAN BROUGHT THE WORDS OUT OF THE COFFEE HOUSES AND TO THE MASSES WHO HAD THE POWER IN NUMBERS TO MAKE MAJOR CULTURAL CHANGES. AS I SAW AND FELT IT, THEY DIDN'T SELL OUT, THEY WERE MISSIONARIES TO THE MASSES WHO NEEDED THOSE WORDS TO JUMP START THE CULTURAL CHANGE.THEY STARTED THE FIRE IN 63 AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT CONTRIBUTED TO THE CHANGES THAT FOLLOWED THEM IN THE 60'S IS ALL DUE TO THE FOLK MUSIC PRESENTED TO US BY PP/M AND THE ELECTRIC DYLAN...I'M GUESSING HIM BEING PLUGED IN WAS HIS IDEA TO GATHER IN MORE OF THE MASSES.

HW

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/10/06 at 10:24 pm

I AGREE WITH YOU ON MOST OF YOUR POINTS EXCEPT FOR FOLK SCENE. ME BEING ONE OF THE MILLIONS OF IGNORANT MASSES WHO DIDN'T GET IT. TO ROCKER AND ROLLERS FOLK SONGS WEREN'T COOL TO LISTEN TO BEFORE 63. IT TOOK PP/M " BLOWING IN THE WIND" TO WAKE-UP OUR FEELINGS AND OUR UNDERSTANDING FOLK SONG LYRICS.

UP UNTILTHEN, GREENWICH VILLAGE COFFEE HOUSE STAGES WERE THE ONLY FORUM FOR FOLK SINGERS TO REACH US BEFORE 63. THEY WROTE POEMS AND SANG SONGS ABOUT SOCIETY'S ILLS IN BUT REALY COULDN'T DO ANYTHING CONCRETE TO CHANGE THE WORLD. FOLK MUSIC WAS PIGEON HOLED TO THE HIP BEATNIC CULTURE WHO ONLY GAVE A COOL SNAPPING OF THIER FINGERS APPLAUDING THE FOLKS SINGERS WORDS BUT NO REAL EFFORT WAS MADE BY THAT GENERATION TO MAKE ANY CULTURAL CHANGES.

VIA THE AIRWAVES, PP/M AND DYLAN BROUGHT THE WORDS OUT OF THE COFFEE HOUSES AND TO THE MASSES WHO HAD THE POWER IN NUMBERS TO MAKE MAJOR CULTURAL CHANGES. AS I SAW AND FELT IT, THEY DIDN'T SELL OUT, THEY WERE MISSIONARIES TO THE MASSES WHO NEEDED THOSE WORDS TO JUMP START THE CULTURAL CHANGE.THEY STARTED THE FIRE IN 63 AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT CONTRIBUTED TO THE CHANGES THAT FOLLOWED THEM IN THE 60'S IS ALL DUE TO THE FOLK MUSIC PRESENTED TO US BY PP/M AND THE ELECTRIC DYLAN...I'M GUESSING HIM BEING PLUGED IN WAS HIS IDEA TO GATHER IN MORE OF THE MASSES.

HW

Turn off the caps lock.

Written By: hot_wax on 10/11/06 at 12:08 am

Turn off the caps lock.

I'M SORRY ABOUT CAPS, BUT I'M TYPING WITH MY LEFT HAND ONLY BECAUSE MY RIGHT ARM AND SHOULDER IS IN A CAST AND THE LOWER CASE TYPE DOESN'T LOOK THAT GOOD EITHER...PLEASE BARE WITH IT FOR A WHILE. THANK YOU. HW

Written By: Nostalgic on 10/11/06 at 8:51 pm

The quality of PPM's recordings were really good too. I thought they sounded ahead of their time for 1963.

Check for new replies or respond here...