inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Perfumes and Colognes...any favorites pro or con that bring back memories?

Written By: hot_wax on 10/31/06 at 4:26 pm

Personally I'm not a fan of perfumes or colognes, well, more like a love hate affair. Back in the 60's every girl wore Taboo in high school the hallways reeked with it, I can still smell it in head and want to vomit, but on the other hand when they wore Chantilly at night it was a turn on for me. The guys wore English Leather or Canoe on occations. Besides the traditional perfume names from the early days, the 70's started the boom in new smelling colognes and the 80's exploded with celebrities having their personal "smell's to sell" , and most of them gets me sick too.

Is it me, or do you love and hate certain perfumes and colognes too?

Subject: Re: Perfumes and Colognes...any favorites pro or con that bring back memories?

Written By: spaceace on 10/31/06 at 4:35 pm

Most perfumes impare my attempts to breathe.  However there are two exceptions, Love's Baby Soft, and Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth.

Subject: Re: Perfumes and Colognes...any favorites pro or con that bring back memories?

Written By: hot_wax on 10/31/06 at 7:38 pm

Most perfumes impare my attempts to breathe.  However there are two exceptions, Love's Baby Soft, and Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth.

Baby Soft sounds sweet and powdery and nice to the nose and Electric Youth sounds like it can knock you out. What about today, any preference?

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/31/06 at 8:15 pm

Love's Baby Soft, Heaven Scent, Jean Nate and Enjoli all remind me of my youth.  I find these scents to be very pleasing.  I remember getting a big bottle of Jean Nate for Christmas one year.  Enjoli reminds me of the mother of a girl I used to be friends with.  Heaven Scent=my sister. 

Old Spice is one of my favorites for men, reminds me of my dad. 

A few that I can't stand are more for personal reasons than the actual scent...Brute, my first boyfriend wore this, actually it was more like he bathed in the stuff.  Poison and Georgio were two popular perfumes when I was in High School, mostly worn by the snobby girls in my school.  Both of these are very sweet smelling and are OK in moderation.

Written By: hot_wax on 10/31/06 at 11:27 pm

Love's Baby Soft, Heaven Scent, Jean Nate and Enjoli all remind me of my youth.  I find these scents to be very pleasing.  I remember getting a big bottle of Jean Nate for Christmas one year.  Enjoli reminds me of the mother of a girl I used to be friends with.  Heaven Scent=my sister. 

A few that I can't stand are more for personal reasons than the actual scent...Brute, my first boyfriend wore this, actually it was more like he bathed in the stuff.  Poison and Georgio were two popular perfumes when I was in High School, mostly worn by the snobby girls in my school.  Both of these are very sweet smelling and are OK in moderation.

Yes, my father used to slap on the Old Spice too. When I was kid, one Fathers Day I bought him a gift set with soap on the rope with it, I think the bottle lasted him 10 years or more. It still has an nice aroma for old guys.   

Written By: hot_wax on 10/31/06 at 11:46 pm

An addition to my first reply, you say the scent of Brute reminds you of your first boyfriend, isn't that funny how a smell can reactivate good or bad memories and emotions to like a time warp, the scent of Jean Nate is ok, it brings me back many good memories from an old girlfriend that I've mentioned before. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/01/06 at 3:02 am

Some I liked:

Love's baby soft
Emeraude
Babe by Faberage
Charlie
Heaven Scent
Moonlit Musk
Impulse body spray in Musk scent
and there was one I used to get that smelt like Lillies of the valley, or they had pictures of them on the box I forget the name now...

Stuff I can't deal with (too strong)
Exclamation
Poison
Obsession
Shalimar

Written By: Abix on 11/01/06 at 10:05 am

Some I liked:

Love's baby soft
Emeraude
Babe by Faberage
Charlie
Heaven Scent
Moonlit Musk
and there was one I used to get that smelt like Lillies of the valley, or they had pictures of them on the box I forget the name now...

Exclamation
Poison
Obsession
Shalimar

the one you refer to with the Lilies Of The Valley was called Muguet I think..

Scents that take me back.. many you named here..

Jovan Musk
Wild Musk by Coty
Enjoli
Emaraude
Sweet Honesty
Jean Nate'
Love's Baby Soft
Come Summer by Avon
Calvin Klein Obsession

my mother wore Tabu, Chantilly and I liked these on her.. but I couldn't wear them myself.

Some that I hated were
Georgio (gave me an Instant Headache)
Poison (sickening sweet, nauseating)
White Linen by Estee Lauder (yuck STINKY)

Men's fragrances that take me back in time are:
Old Spice (what kid didn't buy his dad a bottle of this)
Skin Bracer
Brut
English Leather (another old favorite of the dads out there)
British Sterling
Men's Speed Stick deodorant (the original green one.. I loved that smell)
Halston Z-14
Drakkar Noir
Calvin Klein Obsession for men
Calvin Klein Eternity for men

Written By: zotsfreak on 11/01/06 at 11:24 am

How can no one mention "Hai Karate" and their silly TV and printed adds??

Or Joe Namath plugging away on TV for "Brut 33"??

Written By: Abix on 11/01/06 at 12:58 pm

that's right it was Brut 33.. not just Brut. I had forgotten that.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/01/06 at 2:43 pm

Some I liked:

Love's baby soft
Emeraude
Babe by Faberage
Charlie
Heaven Scent
Moonlit Musk

Exclamation
Poison
Obsession
Shalimar

I'm familar with a few of these on your top list, my wife wore many over years, I remember Emeraude was ok and tell her so, and other ones that smelled nice also, and the ones that were killing me too. My daughter wore Heaven Scent that's a pleasent aroma and when she was in high school in the late 80's I remember she started to wear a Patchouly scent and at first it was acceptable then after a week it was killing me. I agree with you on your bad list.

I used to work in Malls and the department stores would spray samples on people and then those people would come into my store and polute the air with a mixture of all those nasty orders. I threw a few customers out of store when "White Diamonds" came on the market, it just stunk up all the clothes the same way Poison and Obession did, they are to heavy and should be outlawed like smoking cigarettes in doors. I was trapped in a Mall inviroment and got to know the names of new perfumes or colognes quickly. After Months of complaining about them spraying people, finally stopped the practice and sprayed little cardboard cuts so you can smell it and throw it away. It helped unless they bought it and wore it, and many did...you just can't win.   

Written By: hot_wax on 11/01/06 at 3:03 pm

How can no one mention "Hai Karate" and their silly TV and printed adds??

Or Joe Namath plugging away on TV for "Brut 33"??

Yeah, Hai Karate was the springboard in the early 70's for the mens designer cologne era.
Brute was a close follow up and the all hell broke out with scents from all the world came to our shores and the "Me" generation of the later 70's had a new smell every week to go along with the gold neck chains and their Nic Nic Shirts...me, I liked Pino Sylvestre back then, no chains.

Written By: fishryc on 11/01/06 at 5:06 pm

What about prices??!!
Brut is still at an inflation adjusted 8 bucks a bottle (I remember it at less than $2!!). Cheap stuff that no one really finds to be an offensive smelling after shave splash.
  However, what about all the newer stuff?
I presently like (as a lower end) product "Paul Sebastion" at $25 for a 3 or 4 ounce bottle.
My preferences are Calvin Klein products. Winter months- "Obsession for Men", Summer months- "Escape". And sometimes that gay crap that females like on us dudes CK-1.
But, at 60 bucks a crack, and on my meager 30K something a year income, these cannot be dispensed as a daily de-stink-tifier!!
Anyhooooo, too much advertising and free samples (magazine scratch and sniff's, etc) are adding un-necessary additional expenses to the products............... (IMHO)

Written By: spaceace on 11/01/06 at 5:37 pm

Here's an old one for ya.  Does anyone remember the men's cologne Black Label?

Written By: Abix on 11/01/06 at 5:48 pm

Nope I've never heard of that one.. ^

Written By: hot_wax on 11/01/06 at 10:20 pm

What about prices??!!
Brut is still at an inflation adjusted 8 bucks a bottle (I remember it at less than $2!!). Cheap stuff that no one really finds to be an offensive smelling after shave splash.
  However, what about all the newer stuff?
I presently like (as a lower end) product "Paul Sebastion" at $25 for a 3 or 4 ounce bottle.
My preferences are Calvin Klein products. Winter months- "Obsession for Men", Summer months- "Escape". And sometimes that gay crap that females like on us dudes CK-1.
But, at 60 bucks a crack, and on my meager 30K something a year income, these cannot be dispensed as a daily de-stink-tifier!!
Anyhooooo, too much advertising and free samples (magazine scratch and sniff's, etc) are adding un-necessary additional expenses to the products............... (IMHO)

Your right, I think the most expensive part of a 4 ounce purchase of a $25.00 bottle of cologne is the 50 cent bottle that holds the 50 cents worth of alcohol and the 50 cents worth of fragrance, and $1.50 towards advertising, the rest is all profit... 

Written By: hot_wax on 11/01/06 at 10:37 pm

Here's an old one for ya.  Does anyone remember the men's cologne Black Label?

Not really, back in the 70's the pirates took a fragrance and bottled it under dozens of names and sold them in discount drug stores and open air markets, so Black Label could have been Aqua Velva...I think it still goes on today, some of the cheap smells of yesteryear is now bottled and sold under designers names at ridiculous prices...who knows? only the nose knows. 

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/01/06 at 10:42 pm

Brut Soap On A Rope-my father
Jean Nate-my mother,gifts for her most birthdays etc when i was a kid

Love's Baby Soft & Skin Musk-me in the late 70s..oh and Sweet Honesty of course,compliments of Avon..

which brings me to Polo..my first boyfriend..who incidentally had the great idea to bother to contact me this week on classmates.com after breaking my teen-aged heart for a minute  ::) :P ;D

Written By: hot_wax on 11/01/06 at 11:38 pm

Brut Soap On A Rope-my father
Jean Nate-my mother,gifts for her most birthdays etc when i was a kid

Love's Baby Soft & Skin Musk-me in the late 70s..oh and Sweet Honesty of course,compliments of Avon..

which brings me to Polo..my first boyfriend..who incidentally had the great idea to bother to contact me this week on classmates.com after breaking my teen-aged heart for a minute  ::) :P ;D

So I guessing that you want punch any guy wearing Polo? Hey girl, it's time for revenge, answer his e-mail and make him eat his heart on what he lost! 

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/01/06 at 11:40 pm

So I guessing that you want punch any guy wearing Polo? Hey girl, it's time for revenge, answer his e-mail and make him eat his heart on what he lost! 

MAHAHA!!! no i'm good..for real..lol..i actually still like the smell of it tho it seems quite 80s to me for that reason.. ;D

Written By: hot_wax on 11/01/06 at 11:50 pm

MAHAHA!!! no i'm good..for real..lol..i actually still like the smell of it tho it seems quite 80s to me for that reason.. ;D

Ahh come on now, a little kabitzing with his head wouldn't hurt and it will give him something to think about for the rest of his life...it could put closure to those 20 years of the "what if's" for you too.

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/01/06 at 11:54 pm

Ahh come on now, a little kabitzing with his head wouldn't hurt and it will give him something to think about for the rest of his life...it could put closure to those 20 years of the "what if's" for you too.

thx for the idea,hot_wax but i pretty much closed it by like '88  ;D ;)

Written By: hot_wax on 11/02/06 at 12:04 am

thx for the idea,hot_wax but i pretty much closed it by like '88  ;D ;)

Good for you, well maybe some other cologne smell will bring some great memories of  X who's heart you broke.

Written By: Abix on 11/02/06 at 8:19 am

that's what Speed stick does for me! brings me right back to the day circa 1984... when Bobby B was draggin my heart around! 

Written By: spaceace on 11/02/06 at 9:00 am

I was very popular with the 60's mod crowd.  The Monkees made a few memorable Black Label cologne commercials. :)

Written By: hot_wax on 11/02/06 at 9:30 am

that's what Speed stick does for me! brings me right back to the day circa 1984... when Bobby B was draggin my heart around! 

I hear you, Jean Nate screws with my memorie like that...those rainy days we'd cut school and hang out in her bed all day, that's a GOOD one and then again, seeing her on the boardwalk with someone else as we were splitting up, that's a BAD one. 

Written By: hot_wax on 11/02/06 at 9:42 am

I was very popular with the 60's mod crowd.  The Monkees made a few memorable Black Label cologne commercials. :)

The 60's? I still don't remember it, but I wasn't to much into colognes in the mid 60's only Canoe and English Leather and only on occasions, and I wasn't into watching the Monkees either to see the commercial on it. Like I said, the fragrance can be out there today under another name, but I don't know what it smells like, would you know it if you smelled it today? 

Written By: spaceace on 11/02/06 at 9:55 am

Black Label smells a lot like Jovian Musk.  At least I'm told that it is a suitable substitute.

Written By: Abix on 11/02/06 at 11:10 am

this whole thread makes me long for those days of youthful scents . For instance.. I bought coppertone suntan lotion, JUST BECAUSE it reminds of going to the beach as a kid in the 1970's. The smell takes me right back.  Jergens lotion, the original  cherry almond scent.. reminds me of my childhood also. Love it. Jean Nate' if I had some now, or Jovan Musk, or Love's Baby Soft would whirl me right back to 8th grade.. what is it about nostalgia that makes us goofy like that?

Written By: hot_wax on 11/02/06 at 2:24 pm

Black Label smells a lot like Jovian Musk.  At least I'm told that it is a suitable substitute.

The next time I'm in a mall I'll check it out.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/02/06 at 2:37 pm

this whole thread makes me long for those days of youthful scents . For instance.. I bought coppertone suntan lotion, JUST BECAUSE it reminds of going to the beach as a kid in the 1970's. The smell takes me right back.  Jergens lotion, the original  cherry almond scent.. reminds me of my childhood also. Love it. Jean Nate' if I had some now, or Jovan Musk, or Love's Baby Soft would whirl me right back to 8th grade.. what is it about nostalgia that makes us goofy like that?

Oh yeah,Jergens lotion, I really can say was the first that the first smell I can remember. it reminds me of my mom back in the early 50's, that and close 2d. is Johnson and Johnson's Baby Lotion, those smells will never get me sick, actually they stop me in my tracks and I'll sniff around to find it and say"AAAHHH" that's nice! 

Written By: CptHowdy65 on 11/03/06 at 12:51 am

A girl I knew in high school wore "White Shoulders" - 26 years later I married her..she still wears it and it is a wonderful memory of past and present

Jade East & English Leather were the favorites for guys when I was in high school....

Not a cologne or perfume, but Vicks Vapo Rub will always remind me of childhood - Mom used it for colds, flu, fever, coughs, etc..

Cpt Howdy

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/03/06 at 11:40 am

A girl I knew in high school wore "White Shoulders" - 26 years later I married her..she still wears it and it is a wonderful memory of past and present

Jade East & English Leather were the favorites for guys when I was in high school....

Not a cologne or perfume, but Vicks Vapo Rub will always remind me of childhood - Mom used it for colds, flu, fever, coughs, etc..

Cpt Howdy

Sweet story!!  :)

Vicks Vapo Rub was a 'cure-all' in our house.  I remember my mom putting so much of that stuff on my chest my eyes would start to water!!  LOL!

Written By: Abix on 11/03/06 at 11:43 am

I LOVE the smell of Vicks! :P

Written By: spaceace on 11/03/06 at 5:55 pm

My Dad used to stick that stuff up his nose.  I remember the smell of Noxema.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/03/06 at 6:23 pm

Cpt Howdy

Hi Cap', 26 years, that's great, I'm married 37, some people think marriages over 20 years don't exsist in today's marriages, hey I'm like you, it dosen't take much to keep fires burning all those years, a twinkle in her eye and a scent of a certain perfume does wonders...wine and candles too.

When my mom broke out the Vick's for a cold, I knew I wasn't going to school the next day...that my best memory for that smell.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/03/06 at 9:17 pm

You said Noxema and that smell popped in my head, you can never forget that smell, every beach blanket reeked of that smell in the summer. 

Written By: Abix on 11/04/06 at 12:09 pm

You said Noxema and that smell popped in my head, you can never forget that smell, every beach blanket reeked of that smell in the summer.   

or being coated in it after being sunburned, and taking your nightly bath.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/04/06 at 7:30 pm

Since we're mentioning other aromas, I like the smell of blended teas too, especially the Earl Grey blend from the Bigelow company. It's a black tea, with the blend of bergamot oil in it. The tea bags are individually wraped in a sealed foil envelope and every time I rip one open I take a deep inhail of the trapped aroma...ummm! it's smells so good I hold it for a few seconds and relish the aroma. I've done this every time I rip one open for years...I like that tea, try it sometime and breath deep upon opening the envelope...you'll see what I mean. 

Written By: Abix on 11/05/06 at 10:50 am

Since we're mentioning other aromas, I like the smell of blended teas too, especially the Earl Grey blend from the Bigelow company. It's a black tea, with the blend of bergamot oil in it. The tea bags are individually wraped in a sealed foil envelope and every time I rip one open I take a deep inhail of the trapped aroma...ummm! it's smells so good I hold it for a few seconds and relish the aroma. I've done this every time I rip one open for years...I like that tea, try it sometime and breath deep upon opening the envelope...you'll see what I mean.   

I just had some of that Bigelow tea (Earl Grey with Bergamot) a few days ago, and yes, you are right.. the smell is heavenly.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/05/06 at 6:44 pm

I just had some of that Bigelow tea (Earl Grey with Bergamot) a few days ago, and yes, you are right.. the smell is heavenly.

I'm having a spot of Sir Earl as we talk...and yes the aroma is heavenly as always.

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/14/06 at 10:46 am

Vicks used to make an inhaler (maybe they still do  :-\\), looked like chapstick but it was a white plastic thing you'd stick in your nostril and breathe in. 

Noxema!!! LOVE IT!!!  I remember having my mom slather it all over my back after a day of swimming in th pool.  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/14/06 at 12:17 pm

My mom still slathers Noxema all over me when I get sunburns.  I don't bother buying stuff specifically for sunburns....ever since I was little, it's been Noxema.  That's a smell I can recognize anywhere.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/14/06 at 7:37 pm

Memories of certain perfumes are:

Obsession - Calvin Klein (my mom had a bottle of this stuff that seemed to last for years. She must've gotten it around 1983. And may still have it, lol.

Jovan (Musk) - My dad wore this often.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/15/06 at 2:29 am

Memories of certain perfumes are:

Obsession - Calvin Klein (my mom had a bottle of this stuff that seemed to last for years. She must've gotten it around 1983. And may still have it, lol.

Jovan (Musk) - My dad wore this often.

One Christmas back in the 50's, I bought a bottle of "Wind Song" for my mom from my paper route tips only because of the fancy bottle, it looked like a Crown on a heart shaped purple bottle, not caring what the smell was, I got lucky and she liked the aroma and wore it offend and replaced a few bottles on her own after that over time. She made me feel real proud that I did a "good thing" that's what I remember most about that perfume's aroma.

My old man wore Old Spice I bought him and he'd wear Mennens Skin Bracer after him shaving. He wasn't into that stuff to much. He did buy my mom a bottle of "Joy" one Valentine's Day, because he liked that fragerance, luckily she liked it too. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/16/06 at 6:04 am

We used to buy our dad either Old Spice or Brut.

I recently smelt a sample of Opium cologne in a magazine.  That's an oldie but goody.  I didn't realize they still made that.  It shows you how often *I* buy cologne.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/16/06 at 5:01 pm

We used to buy our dad either Old Spice or Brut.

I recently smelt a sample of Opium cologne in a magazine.  That's an oldie but goody.  I didn't realize they still made that.  It shows you how often *I* buy cologne.

Your my type of women...less is more.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 11/21/06 at 5:07 pm

My mom in the 70's wore Prince Matchabelli's Golden Autumn. You can still find a bottle on Ebay for a high price. I was lucky to get a little sample bottle on there years ago and it brought memories back for me of when I was a kid and she was getting ready to go to work. Also, Tabu and Avon's Charisma and Estee Lauder Youth Dew remind me of my grandmother. All are pleasant memories.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/21/06 at 8:58 pm

My mom in the 70's wore Prince Matchabelli's Golden Autumn. You can still find a bottle on Ebay for a high price. I was lucky to get a little sample bottle on there years ago and it brought memories back for me of when I was a kid and she was getting ready to go to work. Also, Tabu and Avon's Charisma and Estee Lauder Youth Dew remind me of my grandmother. All are pleasant memories

The memories, thank God for the memories, and how some of those aromas can brings us back to the good old days.

Written By: Abix on 11/22/06 at 2:42 am

My mom in the 70's wore Prince Matchabelli's Golden Autumn. You can still find a bottle on Ebay for a high price. I was lucky to get a little sample bottle on there years ago and it brought memories back for me of when I was a kid and she was getting ready to go to work. Also, Tabu and Avon's Charisma and Estee Lauder Youth Dew remind me of my grandmother. All are pleasant memories.

yes, Youth Dew, my grandma wore that one too. She also liked Ciara.  My mom LOVED Tabu. That reminds me of when I was just a little kid and snuggled in her lap.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/22/06 at 10:42 am

yes, Youth Dew, my grandma wore that one too. She also liked Ciara.  My mom LOVED Tabu. That reminds me of when I was just a little kid and snuggled in her lap.

My mom wore Tabu too, and Poison.  I hate the smell of Poison on it's own, but on her it was lovely.  Go figure.

This is a little later on, but when I was in junior high, I couldn't get enough Malibu Musk.  Anyone remember that?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/22/06 at 2:02 pm

This is a little later on, but when I was in junior high, I couldn't get enough Malibu Musk.  Anyone remember that?

I remember that one.

I used to love wearing something called Moonlight Musk back in high school in the 80s.  That and the Musk scent from those Impulse Body Sprays.

Can't even find Moonlight Musk on e-bay.  Although I did buy it once in lotion form, and it didn't smell as good to me as it used to.  I may just put it back on e-bay.  What amazed me was I was looking for Babe cologne by Faberege, and they were selling EMPTY bottles of it on e-bay and it was going for astronomical sums.  I found that really weird.  ;D

Written By: Abix on 11/22/06 at 4:27 pm

My mom wore Tabu too, and Poison.  I hate the smell of Poison on it's own, but on her it was lovely.  Go figure.

Yes, I remember Malibu Musk.. it was kind of a sweet version of Musk. sort of fruity musk. I liked it..but liked regular musk better.

Poison..ugh... too sweet. gives me an instant headache.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/24/06 at 4:18 pm

Yes, I remember Malibu Musk.. it was kind of a sweet version of Musk. sort of fruity musk. I liked it..but liked regular musk better.

Poison..ugh... too sweet. gives me an instant headache.

Yes, it's that instant headache that grabs me too and lingers in my head for a long time after constantly smelling it.

Abix, a few years ago I flew on business trips and hoped that I didn't have to sit next to anyone, man or women with a heavy cologe. I was lucky for some time with little scents of OK perfumes that were acceptable for me. Well, one day on 3 1/2 hr. flight I almost died, it was a full flight, and sitting on an aisle seat with no place change seats. There was a women next to me, one in front of me, in back of me and across the aisle from me, and each wearing a different heavy scented perfumes. I was surrounded by a mixture of the worse smelling perfumes of the times and reccoginized Poison as one and the mixtures of all of the others put together was hard to tell the rest, well, the closest I can describe the smell of all of them together was like smelling freshly emptied 25 gallon fish tank of green scumed water, but, the kicker was that the flight attendant in charge smelt the worse of them all with her own stinking perfume and she kept passing by me every other minute of the flight for 3 1/2 hours. I got up as much as possible but the smell saturated my clothes and was locked in my head and stayed there all day and night...I can close my eyes and still smell it now...Yuck!!   

Written By: Abix on 11/24/06 at 9:01 pm

Yes, it's that instant headache that grabs me too and lingers in my head for a long time after constantly smelling it.

Abix, a few years ago I flew on business trips and hoped that I didn't have to sit next to anyone, man or women with a heavy cologe. I was lucky for some time with little scents of OK perfumes that were acceptable for me. Well, one day on 3 1/2 hr. flight I almost died, it was a full flight, and sitting on an aisle seat with no place change seats. There was a women next to me, one in front of me, in back of me and across the aisle from me, and each wearing a different heavy scented perfumes. I was surrounded by a mixture of the worse smelling perfumes of the times and reccoginized Poison as one and the mixtures of all of the others put together was hard to tell the rest, well, the closest I can describe the smell of all of them together was like smelling freshly emptied 25 gallon fish tank of green scumed water, but, the kicker was that the flight attendant in charge smelt the worse of them all with her own stinking perfume and she kept passing by me every other minute of the flight for 3 1/2 hours. I got up as much as possible but the smell saturated my clothes and was locked in my head and stayed there all day and night...I can close my eyes and still smell it now...Yuck!!   

That sounds quite traumatic. Those heavy scents are probably the reason lots of places have a strict 'no fragrance allowed" policy. On my unit at work, we are strongly encouraged not to wear perfumes because one of our coworkers is allergic to perfumes. It makes her wheeze. 

Written By: hot_wax on 11/25/06 at 10:22 am

That sounds quite traumatic. Those heavy scents are probably the reason lots of places have a strict 'no fragrance allowed" policy. On my unit at work, we are strongly encouraged not to wear perfumes because one of our coworkers is allergic to perfumes. It makes her wheeze.  

I applaud your company for that policy, I hope it includes scented candles and air fresheners they all should be outlawed like second hand smoke. The government should look into those designer air fresheners at the lung or any other body part for cancer connections.

Hey guys it's chemicals you're breathing in through your nose into your lungs into blood, cleaned by your liver...again! it's chemicals!!! like agent orange and asbestos was thought to be safe at one time. Well now it's time for these fabric freshners and wall socket air freshners, spray cans, candles, incents and any other air polluting chemical sold to us as for the sake of covering one smell with another...wash your clothes and open your windows for freshness and if you want to have a holiday scent use natural pine oil and toast tangerine peels on the stove like your grandma did.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/23/06 at 1:29 am

Hey ladies, enjoy the perfume gifts you receive for Christmas, but please go lightly with them, less is more than enough, especially if they're the new perfumes scents created by the Tabloid Princesses.

Over the past month, dozens of sample scratch and sniff advertisements were are shoved into my daily newspaper of new perfumes scents, most were beyond belief that they were perfumes ads from Macy's and not paint remover or fertilizer ads from Home Depot. Seriously, do they expect people to buy the perfumes from these paper samples? even my garbage can put a clothes pin over it's nose when I threw them out.

Please remember to go easy with them if they're a heavy scent and on behalf of many who have a problem with offensive perfume aromas Thank you.

Written By: spaceace on 12/23/06 at 5:06 am

OMG I used to wear Malibu Musk when I was younger.  Too bad they don't make it anymore.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/24/06 at 10:50 am

OMG I used to wear Malibu Musk when I was younger.  Too bad they don't make it anymore.

It's a few times I read the ladies liked Malibu Musk, there must be a knock off of it under a different name, research it on the perfume sites and buy a bottle.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/06 at 2:34 pm

The thing about scents is that someone else has to choose them for you.  They mix with your body chemistry so they smell different on you than in the bottle, that is why some people can wear certain scents and smell great, and others just ok, and some just down right rude.  I once  put on some Estee Lauder "White Linen" and at least 3 people told me how great I smelled.  I have worn it ever since, and once even the dry cleaner commented on it.  :)

Written By: hot_wax on 12/25/06 at 4:27 am

The thing about scents is that someone else has to choose them for you.  They mix with your body chemistry so they smell different on you than in the bottle, that is why some people can wear certain scents and smell great, and others just ok, and some just down right rude.  I once  put on some Estee Lauder "White Linen" and at least 3 people told me how great I smelled.  I have worn it ever since, and once even the dry cleaner commented on it.  :)

Yes, that's something I haven't taken into concideration. Body chemistry does play into the aroma that comes off the body, and does smell different on different people, but only a good quality perfumes do that with a light application and not the cheap stuff, they stink no matter who wears it if they put on to much. White Linen is nice if applied lightly, it's White Diamonds that's hard on the nose.

My wife wore Tresor by Lancome tonight, it was pretty nice and liked it's sweet powdery smell, it was a gift to her from my oldest son, what I like on her is limited to a few of the older perfumes that I buy her, and now Tresor is added to the list. I guess her body chemistry or fermones and her perfumes are to my liking, so far I like what she likes all these years.

Written By: dnix71 on 12/25/06 at 7:50 pm

Does after-shave count? On of my junior high classmates used to drink hai karate :o, cause we weren't nearly old enough to buy booze. Mouthwash would make you sick if you drank it. You can still get vintage bottles of the stuff on ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/hai-karate-after-shave_W0QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQxpufuZx

Written By: hot_wax on 12/26/06 at 9:07 am

Does after-shave count? On of my junior high classmates used to drink hai karate :o, cause we weren't nearly old enough to buy booze. Mouthwash would make you sick if you drank it. You can still get vintage bottles of the stuff on ebay.

HA!HA!HA! Dude, I thought I heard it all, but you top the list! DRINK!? hia karate! HA!HA!HA! what did it smell like coming out!? HA!HA!HA!

Written By: dnix71 on 12/26/06 at 6:34 pm

Leroy didn't smell unusual to me but we didn't have many classes in common. He went home to the College Hill projects at the end of the day and I walked home two blocks. They bussed in people under court order for desegregation. It was a long ride for him. He didn't seem to get too much of a buzz, but those bottles were small.

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/26/06 at 7:30 pm

My great-uncle used to drink witch-hazel if he couldn't get liquor.  I suppose it had the same effect, I just couldn't imagine trying it.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/26/06 at 7:31 pm

Leroy didn't smell unusual to me but we didn't have many classes in common. He went home to the College Hill projects at the end of the day and I walked home two blocks. They bussed in people under court order for desegregation. It was a long ride for him. He didn't seem to get too much of a buzz, but those bottles were small.

I'm still laughing about it, you just floored me with that. Hey! when we about 13 we would pay a taxi driver to score some pints wine for us, usually Sneeky Pete Thunderbird or Night Trian, it was before Hai Karate was invented or maybe we would downed a bottle or two also if it was cheaper...HA!HA!HA!

Written By: hot_wax on 12/26/06 at 7:42 pm

My great-uncle used to drink witch-hazel if he couldn't get liquor.  I suppose it had the same effect, I just couldn't imagine trying it.

You gotta' be kidden'! isn't that poison? did he go blind? although I did hear that during WWII soldiers filtered liquid shoe polish through a loaf of bread and drank the alcohol that dripped out the bottom...Don't try it any of it please.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/26/06 at 8:22 pm

Hey ladies did any of you ever wear Ambush?

It was the female version of the mens cologne Canoe, this I liked because I wore the mens Canoe on occasions. Ambush had a sweet and powdery aroma nice to the nose.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 01/03/07 at 6:07 pm

Yea I did when I was young. It was a little mini bottle I received for Christmas with Emeraude. Emeraude was I suppose the cheap version of Shalimar. A few years ago, I worked in a perfume store that had alot of old tester bottles they were getting rid of and one of them was Ambush. It's too strong to wear but I keep it because the newer version that came out a few years ago 
don't smell like it used to.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/03/07 at 7:47 pm

Yea I did when I was young. It was a little mini bottle I received for Christmas with Emeraude. Emeraude was I suppose the cheap version of Shalimar. A few years ago, I worked in a perfume store that had alot of old tester bottles they were getting rid of and one of them was Ambush. It's too strong to wear but I keep it because the newer version that came out a few years ago  
don't smell like it used to.

All those perfumes you mentioned bring back great memories. One thing I remembered as this post grew legs is that I had a  personal "rating system" on which type of girls wore what perfumes while I was high school in the early/mid 60's... usually it was a fad driven scent at first but then I noticed girls wore smells to send messages. Girls who wore Ambush had boyfriends and couldn't be had or hard to get, Emeraude was worn by "I'm available, but not to everyone, give me a try", Jean Nate, "I'm innocent don't even try" and then my all time hated smell, Tabu, "I'm a slut, do me now scent". There were others but these few I vaguely remembered in my rating system, it wasn't perfect but if Dodie wasn't looking I'd be taking mental notes on girls for just the fun of it and for future references for when we fought and break-up for the week or so and Oh! those Tabu girls were great, like they say," once you get past the smell you got it...!!!" 

Written By: micah on 01/04/07 at 3:53 pm

Tabu brings back the most memories. Back in the early 70's there was a girl in my high school who poured it in her bath water. She sat behind me in a couple of classes and it was so strong it made your eyes water. Potchouli was another big one back then. The hallways smelled like a field of marijuana plants. :o

Written By: hot_wax on 01/05/07 at 7:16 pm

Tabu brings back the most memories. Back in the early 70's there was a girl in my high school who poured it in her bath water. She sat behind me in a couple of classes and it was so strong it made your eyes water. Potchouli was another big one back then. The hallways smelled like a field of marijuana plants. :o

Tell me the truth, was she like how I discribed, "I'm a slut, do me now" character?

Written By: micah on 01/08/07 at 4:27 pm

Tell me the truth, was she like how I discribed, "I'm a slut, do me now" character?

I never found out personally, but she did have a reputation for getting around.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/08/07 at 6:15 pm

I never found out personally, but she did have a reputation for getting around.

There's was something with that aroma and girls who wore fish net stockings.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 01/08/07 at 8:33 pm

My mom and grandmother used to wear Tabu.

Hmmm....now I wonder at my mom's reputation ;D

She hasn't worn it in years and she smelled it at a perfume place and said she couldn't wear that perfume anymore. She said it was too strong. Since my grandmom's passing 2 years ago, I keep her bottle with other things of hers. She had that bottle for many years but never wore it. You can tell the bottle is old cause the shape of the bottle  and the label is very different than todays bottle.

Funny how when you're younger you can wear these scents, but as you get older, you just can't wear it anymore. Taste changes I suppose.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/08/07 at 9:15 pm

My mom and grandmother used to wear Tabu.

Hmmm....now I wonder at my mom's reputation ;D

She hasn't worn it in years and she smelled it at a perfume place and said she couldn't wear that perfume anymore. She said it was too strong. Since my grandmom's passing 2 years ago, I keep her bottle with other things of hers. She had that bottle for many years but never wore it. You can tell the bottle is old cause the shape of the bottle  and the label is very different than todays bottle.

Funny how when you're younger you can wear these scents, but as you get older, you just can't wear it anymore. Taste changes I suppose.

I'm sure your mom wore it when it was only a new fad like most girls did. It's the girls who wore it everyday thoughout high school who were on my rating list...or, ask her if she wore fish net stockings! 

Written By: Snoopygirl on 01/09/07 at 9:54 pm

She actually wore it in the 60s and early 70s. As far as I know, no fish nets

I shudder to think of her in fish nets ;D

Written By: Abix on 01/09/07 at 11:18 pm

Some perfumes that I used to love but no longer tolerate cuz they smell way too strong, or too sweet are:
Chloe Narcisse
Estee Lauder's Tuscany Per Donna
Estee Lauder's Spellbound
Coco by Chanel

I have bottles of all of these and every now and then I'll wear them but they seem way too overpowering now.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/10/07 at 12:57 am

Some perfumes that I used to love but no longer tolerate cuz they smell way too strong, or too sweet are:
Chloe Narcisse
Estee Lauder's Tuscany Per Donna
Estee Lauder's Spellbound
Coco by Chanel

I have bottles of all of these and every now and then I'll wear them but they seem way too overpowering now.

They are not bad if applied lightly..."a little dab will do you!"  (using Brill Cream words)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/11/07 at 4:35 pm

I'm the same way with a couple that I used to wear back in high school.  I bought a new bottle of Skin Musk and also a bottle of Shalimar.  They are way too strong for my liking now.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/12/07 at 8:43 pm

I'm the same way with a couple that I used to wear back in high school.  I bought a new bottle of Skin Musk and also a bottle of Shalimar.  They are way too strong for my liking now.

I don't understand, why are they to strong now, if they're applied lightly? I don't know the aroma of Skin Musk, but Shalimar I do, and one touch behind the ear and one touch on each wrist pulse applied with the touch of you're finger and not direct from the bottletop is all you need to radiate a sensual interest aroma off your body other than an avoiding heavy spash-on or spray-on stink. If you like them yesteryear then wear them today also. Shalimar is a nice sweet smell...if applied lightly, do it and see if there's a responce, and let me know, now I'm curious.

Maybe even Tabu would smell nice if only those girls didn't bath in it...Naaaaaa! it just stinks!

Written By: sherry339 on 04/04/07 at 4:03 pm

Does anyone remember the fragrance from Clinique??  It didn't have it's own name but was just labeled Clinique.  I LOVED it and wore it for years until I married and my husband said it smelled like roach spray.  Obviously, I was dismayed and stopped wearing it... but it was great!

I agree with one of the posts that English Leather and Jade East were the ultimate when I was in high school.  If a fella wore one of those on a date, he would definitely get some great neck nuzzling with his good night kiss.  :-*

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/04/07 at 7:10 pm

I always liked Happy from Clinique, but since I'm really pretty much a cheapskate, I never bought a full-sized bottle.  I had gotten a sample bottle from my former mother-in-law when she actually liked me, she had apparently gotten it free for purchasing something ellse in the Clinique line.

I just used up the last of my Heaven Scent, I may have to look arouund on e-bay to get another bottle. 

Written By: schmartypantz on 04/25/07 at 10:30 am

the first cologne I bought was Jade East.
I have some Tommy that my daughter got me for christmas now.
I do still like Old Spice though.

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/25/07 at 6:32 pm

the first cologne I bought was Jade East.
I have some Tommy that my daughter got me for christmas now.
I do still like Old Spice though.

I like Tommy.

My father and Father-In-Law both wear Old Spice.  It smells good when they firat put it on but after a while the scent seems to change.  I've never noticed it before, I wonder if they've changed the formula? 

Written By: hot_wax on 04/25/07 at 9:53 pm

I like Tommy.

My father and Father-In-Law both wear Old Spice.  It smells good when they firat put it on but after a while the scent seems to change.  I've never noticed it before, I wonder if they've changed the formula? 

I think your right, they must change they're formula or use cheaper wood alcohol to cut costs and charge more. I notice it to, I like very few colognes scents and when I find something I like I stick with it and the nose knows if the scents change. I have been using "Pour Monsieur" after shave moisturizer balm by Chanel for the past 30 years and over that time the aroma has changed slightly from bottle to bottle, I even took a bottle back to Macy's because it didn't have that certain lime scent it always had, it smelt waxey, they exchanged it and that new bottle was good. Why does it happen, I don't know? but for about 50 bucks for a 2.5 oz bottle I want it right.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/26/07 at 11:09 pm

OK! Who got a perfume or a cologne for a Christmas present this year...love it or hate it?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/27/07 at 1:54 pm

Hubby got me a bottle of Heaven Sent (well...I actually picked it up, but he paid for it.)  ;D

Written By: star80 on 12/27/07 at 2:16 pm

I bought my boyfriend a bottle of Hugo.....just love it....and I bought my son a new cologne called "Hummer", but I also like Polo on the guys and Bowling Green.

For myself,,,,,,,back in the day it was Jovan Musk Oil; Love's Baby Soft; Charlie and Sweet Honesty, then in my 30s it was Passion and Estee Lauder's Beautiful and Ysatis by Givenchy; Also liked Eizabeth Arden's 5th Avenue.

Today I love Romance by Ralph Lauren; Miracle So Magic by Lancome and Jadore' by Christian Dior

Written By: Brigitte on 12/27/07 at 3:33 pm

I wore Babe in the 70's and my mother wore Emeraude by Coty. My Dad wore Pierre Cardan.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/vintage/1970sperfume.jpg

Written By: hot_wax on 12/27/07 at 7:19 pm

Hubby got me a bottle of Heaven Sent (well...I actually picked it up, but he paid for it.)  ;D

Bookmistress, that's the best way to do it and Heaven Scent has one of the nicer fragrances.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/27/07 at 8:15 pm

I wore Babe in the 70's and my mother wore Emeraude by Coty. My Dad wore Pierre Cardan.

Babe and Charley, they owned the teenage perfume market in the 70's. I'm pretty sure that Emeraude had the 60's teenage market along with that bad smelling Tabu. Pierre Cardan has a good aroma when someone else is wearing it, I tried it when it first came out but couldn't hack it on me all day.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/27/07 at 9:22 pm

I bought my boyfriend a bottle of Hugo.....just love it....and I bought my son a new cologne called "Hummer", but I also like Polo on the guys and Bowling Green.

For myself,,,,,,,back in the day it was Jovan Musk Oil; Love's Baby Soft; Charlie and Sweet Honesty, then in my 30s it was Passion and Estee Lauder's Beautiful and Ysatis by Givenchy; Also liked Eizabeth Arden's 5th Avenue.

Today I love Romance by Ralph Lauren; Miracle So Magic by Lancome and Jadore' by Christian Dior

Hi GypsyRoad, I know Polo and it's a nice mens fragrance for all day, I know of Bowling Green but don't know it's aroma, it sounds like something I'd like and the other mans cologne you mentioned, Hummer, must be a new one, do you like it? I ask because of all the perfumes you mentioned that you like are classey and nice to the nose maybe except for Passion, a little heavier aroma of the bunch, but a like choices I wouldn't mind sitting next to you in an airplane on a long trip.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/28/07 at 1:02 pm

I have a bottle of that (it has a dauber - not a spray) that I found at a flea market.  When I looked for it on e-bay, it was going for $50, although I would not sell it for that much.  I just don't know how I could possibly ship it without it spilling and being ruined.  So it's been here sitting by my computer now for about a year. 

Written By: star80 on 01/02/08 at 3:27 pm

Hi GypsyRoad, I know Polo and it's a nice mens fragrance for all day, I know of Bowling Green but don't know it's aroma, it sounds like something I'd like and the other mans cologne you mentioned, Hummer, must be a new one, do you like it? I ask because of all the perfumes you mentioned that you like are classey and nice to the nose maybe except for Passion, a little heavier aroma of the bunch, but a like choices I wouldn't mind sitting next to you in an airplane on a long trip.

...OOOhhhh I cannot stand the smell of Passion now.  Don't know how I ever thought that smelled good.  I still have a bottle that my oldest son gave me about 4 or 5 years ago out in the garage.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that I can't stand the smell of it any longer.  The Hummer is a new one and I bought that one at JC Penney for my 17 yr old son.  Yes it smells good, but the best men's cologne in my opinion is HUGO.

Written By: gemini on 01/04/08 at 7:38 am

I loved Coty Sweet Earth fragrances. There was a scent called Grass that smelled sooo good! It was a glace' that you could rub on your wrist or behind your ears, or anywhere I guess.

http://www.auntjudysattic.com/solid_perfume/cotysweetearthrareflowers.jpg

Written By: hot_wax on 01/04/08 at 8:24 pm

...OOOhhhh I cannot stand the smell of Passion now.  Don't know how I ever thought that smelled good.  I still have a bottle that my oldest son gave me about 4 or 5 years ago out in the garage.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that I can't stand the smell of it any longer.  The Hummer is a new one and I bought that one at JC Penney for my 17 yr old son.  Yes it smells good, but the best men's cologne in my opinion is HUGO.

Yes! I've had a few of those in my garage in my time, they're still there.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/04/08 at 9:06 pm

I loved Coty Sweet Earth fragrances. There was a scent called Grass that smelled sooo good! It was a glace' that you could rub on your wrist or behind your ears, or anywhere I guess.

http://www.auntjudysattic.com/solid_perfume/cotysweetearthrareflowers.jpg

Coty, that company has been a staple in the perfume business for as long as I can remember, they must be doing something right all these years. Their "Sweet Earth" rub on is a good idea and sounds like it has a nice to the nose aroma to them, the next time I'm in the mall I'll check it out and maybe surprise my wife with it and hope that I don't find it in the garage some day!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/04/08 at 9:23 pm

I'm not sure how old it is,or when it  but my mom always wear Exclamation perfume.

http://perfumedirect.marketeer.biz/images/Store1249/%7BC8792F91-B236-4B0F-97A1-F39E59AD28CE%7D.jpeg

I used to take my mom's perfume all the time and wear it to school. LOL.

I flat out HATE Jean Nate perfume.

http://lee.org/journal/journal%20030104-043004/jean-nate.jpg

My mother got a bottle of it for Christmas one year and I swear it sat on her dresser, untouched for ten years before she threw it away. I opened it once and the scent brought tears to my eyes. I hate it! LOL.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/04/08 at 10:45 pm

Hubby got me some perfume called "Dirt" and yes that is what it smells like.  I've never worn it, but it's a conversation started.  I brought it along to some friends' houses to let them smell it.  It's unusual.  BTW, he got it for me because I like geneology and Halloween and it was kind of a sweet omage to my favorite things, albeit an unusual one.  :)

Written By: gemini on 01/05/08 at 1:36 pm

Coty, that company has been a staple in the perfume business for as long as I can remember, they must be doing something right all these years. Their "Sweet Earth" rub on is a good idea and sounds like it has a nice to the nose aroma to them, the next time I'm in the mall I'll check it out and maybe surprise my wife with it and hope that I don't find it in the garage some day!

I don't think it's been around since the 70s. But if you find some, let me know!

Written By: hot_wax on 01/05/08 at 9:15 pm

I don't think it's been around since the 70s. But if you find some, let me know!

Oh! I guess I'll save the trip. You still have it from the 70's?

Written By: hot_wax on 01/05/08 at 9:21 pm

Hubby got me some perfume called "Dirt" and yes that is what it smells like.  I've never worn it, but it's a conversation started.  I brought it along to some friends' houses to let them smell it.  It's unusual.  BTW, he got it for me because I like geneology and Halloween and it was kind of a sweet omage to my favorite things, albeit an unusual one.  :)

Well, he did give it some thought before he bought you Dirt, he does some points for that.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/05/08 at 9:31 pm

I'm not sure how old it is,or when it  but my mom always wear Exclamation perfume.

http://perfumedirect.marketeer.biz/images/Store1249/%7BC8792F91-B236-4B0F-97A1-F39E59AD28CE%7D.jpeg

I used to take my mom's perfume all the time and wear it to school. LOL.

I flat out HATE Jean Nate perfume.

http://lee.org/journal/journal%20030104-043004/jean-nate.jpg

My mother got a bottle of it for Christmas one year and I swear it sat on her dresser, untouched for ten years before she threw it away. I opened it once and the scent brought tears to my eyes. I hate it! LOL.

Hey! Apollonia wasn't "!" the way Prince spelled his name a few years ago too? was mom a fan of the performer "!" formally known as Prince?

Written By: gemini on 01/07/08 at 5:34 pm

Oh! I guess I'll save the trip. You still have it from the 70's?

No, I wish I did. I just googled and found the picture.

Check for new replies or respond here...