inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Wax gum and Drinks!!???

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 11/05/06 at 11:15 pm

I know everyone remembers those wax lips and teeth that came out around Halloween, but everyone I ask can't seem to remember the small "Monster" wax figures that had colored fruity flavored liquid inside!!
We had a ball biting off Frankenstein's head and drinking the sweet fluid,,,
Does anyone else recall these and have any pictures!!???

Subject: Re: Wax gum and Drinks!!???

Written By: Fafner on 11/06/06 at 8:58 pm

Although I don't remember the monster shapes, I know the sticky-sweet liquid you're talking about. In my day it came in wax miniature Coca-Cola shaped bottles. I think you could buy individual "bottles" for 2 cents, but if you had a fortune to spend you could buy a miniature six-pack in a little cardboard carrier for a dime. You'd bite the top off of the bottle, drink the "juice" inside, then chew the wax to get the last remnants of flavor. The "juice" came in different colors, but I don't remember there being any significant difference in taste.

There was a little shop about a block from my grade school in Chicago - we just called it "the school store". I think about 90% of their business came from kids stopping by on their way to or from school. They sold necessities like pens, pencils and notebook paper, but most of their trade was in "penny candy" - although I have to admit that by my time (the early 1960's) most of it was actually 2 cents a piece. There were wax lips and teeth, licorice in various shapes and colors, Bazooka Bubble Gum, Mary Janes (which were sort of like Bit o'Honey), Red Hot Dollars, Jawbreakers, Sweet-Tarts, Lik'm Aid, and those sugar-candy buttons that came attached to a strip of paper - it was impossible to eat them without ingesting as much paper as candy. All the candy was in a case, and you'd have to point out what you wanted to the proprietor: "Two of those, one of these, two of those, two of these - oops, sorry, I've only got twelve cents - better put one of those back".

The whole process would never pass muster today. The guy behind the counter never wore gloves and most of the candy was unwrapped, yet I don't remember any kid ever getting sick - unless he just ate too much of it.

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/06/06 at 9:37 pm

I know everyone remembers those wax lips and teeth that came out around Halloween, but everyone I ask can't seem to remember the small "Monster" wax figures that had colored fruity flavored liquid inside!!

I don't remember the monster shapes, but I do remember the bottles (actually they're still available.  I got some for my daughter, she acted like I was nuts because I got so excited when I saw them!!  LOL!!)

http://www.sweetnostalgia.com/store/images/candy-inc_1888_162980.jpeg

Although I don't remember the monster shapes, I know the sticky-sweet liquid you're talking about. In my day it came in wax miniature Coca-Cola shaped bottles. I think you could buy individual "bottles" for 2 cents, but if you had a fortune to spend you could buy a miniature six-pack in a little cardboard carrier for a dime. You'd bite the top off of the bottle, drink the "juice" inside, then chew the wax to get the last remnants of flavor. The "juice" came in different colors, but I don't remember there being any significant difference in taste.

There was a little shop about a block from my grade school in Chicago - we just called it "the school store". I think about 90% of their business came from kids stopping by on their way to or from school. They sold necessities like pens, pencils and notebook paper, but most of their trade was in "penny candy" - although I have to admit that by my time (the early 1960's) most of it was actually 2 cents a piece. There were wax lips and teeth, licorice in various shapes and colors, Bazooka Bubble Gum, Mary Janes (which were sort of like Bit o'Honey), Red Hot Dollars, Jawbreakers, Sweet-Tarts, Lik'm Aid, and those sugar-candy buttons that came attached to a strip of paper - it was impossible to eat them without ingesting as much paper as candy. All the candy was in a case, and you'd have to point out what you wanted to the proprietor: "Two of those, one of these, two of those, two of these - oops, sorry, I've only got twelve cents - better put one of those back".

The whole process would never pass muster today. The guy behind the counter never wore gloves and most of the candy was unwrapped, yet I don't remember any kid ever getting sick - unless he just ate too much of it.

Oh there was a little candy store I used to go to when I was a kid.  The place used to be a drug-store with a bell over the door, worn wooden floors and it had all the old wooden and glass cases.  The candy was all unwrapped and put into a little brown paper bag.  The guy would tap on the glass with every piece you selected, I think he was adding it up...not really sure, just something strange I remember.  It was "Heaven on Earth" for a little kid but I imagine if I were to set foot in that place as an adult I would probably be disgusted. 

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 11/06/06 at 10:00 pm

Cool info regarding candy and the interesting things we had as children that we took for granted.
Thanks for sharing with us all!!!

Written By: zotsfreak on 11/07/06 at 11:18 am

In my day it came in wax miniature Coca-Cola shaped bottles. I think you could buy individual "bottles" for 2 cents, but if you had a fortune to spend you could buy a miniature six-pack in a little cardboard carrier for a dime. You'd bite the top off of the bottle, drink the "juice" inside, then chew the wax to get the last remnants of flavor. The "juice" came in different colors, but I don't remember there being any significant difference in taste.

Consumed vast quantities of thes in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Liked them so much, I still remember what they were called: "Nik-L-Nips". ("Nik-L" as in they cost 5 cents per six pack; and "Nips" as in a beverage.)

This site sells all that old stuff:

http://oldtimecandy.com/memories/nik-l-nips-memories.htm

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/06 at 12:30 pm

Like a few others have said, I don't remember the monsters but I remember the bottles.

We had a store around the corner from my house. I never knew what the store's name was, we called it affectionally, "The Little Store". It was basically a convientent store (not a chain) and there was one section that had candy. I can't tell you how much money I spent on candy there. But, of course, most of it was only a penny.

BTW, in the winter, we would go behind the "Little Store" to go sledding on what we called "Big Dynomite" and "Little Dynomite"-two sections of one hill that was GREAT for sledding.  ;D ;D The funny thing was, "Big Dynomite" was much tamer than "Little Dynomite". I have no idea who named them that but everyone KNEW that was what they were called.

Sorry, I think about penny candy-I think about "The Little Store". I think about "The Little Store"-I think about "Big & Little Dynomite". One thought leads to another.

Cat

Written By: earthboundtimelord on 04/29/08 at 3:43 pm

Pictures can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/earthboundtimelord/sets/72157604658710280/

These are from my collection. Four types are pictured: a Vampire, two Mummies (one pink and one blue), a Ghoul, and a Frankenstein's Monster.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/01/08 at 4:43 pm

I remember that stuff........ Didnt like it too much if i remember right....

Check for new replies or respond here...