inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Procol Harum in copyright battle

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/06 at 1:41 am

Members of UK rock band Procol Harum are due in court in a dispute over their 1967 hit A Whiter Shade of Pale.

For almost 40 years the number one song has been credited to the lead singer Gary Brooker and lyricist Keith Reid.

But now the group's former keyboard player Matthew Fisher says he wrote the song's distinctive organ melody and is claiming a share of the copyright.

Mr Fisher and Mr Brooker are expected to play a keyboard brought in to the High Court in London for the case.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6142290.stm

Subject: Re: Procol Harum in copyright battle

Written By: zcrito on 11/15/06 at 7:16 pm

I was a big fan of them when I was a teen. Starting with Live In Concert With The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra and "Conquistador".

"A Whiter Shade Of Pale" (album and song) were very popular in the States during Spring of 1973. Sort of like the Moody Blues and "Days Of Future Passed" it was more popular years after its release than when it originally came out. At least here it was.

:)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/16/06 at 6:07 am

I think I might have heard the song first in the movie "The Big Chill", although maybe before then.  I just remember really starting to like it after I heard it in the movie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/16/06 at 12:05 pm

There again, the tune is based on Bach in the first place.

Written By: Trimac20 on 11/19/06 at 8:40 am

There again, the tune is based on Bach in the first place.

It's overrated, and Procol Harum are a pretty sheeshe excuse for a psychedelic band in any case...

Check for new replies or respond here...