inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Sound of Music.

Written By: spaceace on 11/13/06 at 2:34 pm

In my opinion, one of the best movies of the "60's".  It starred Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer.  Anyone else here agree?  Disagree? :)

Subject: Re: The Sound of Music.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/13/06 at 6:59 pm

I agree.  :) Just the music alone makes it a classic.

Written By: spaceace on 11/14/06 at 9:17 am

The scenery in the beginning is just breathtaking. :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/14/06 at 10:42 am

I enjoy this movie a lot.  I haven't seen it in a while, maybe I should rent it.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/14/06 at 1:07 pm

It's one of my favorite movies of all time.  Remember when it used to be on TV every year?  It was an occasion at our house.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/06 at 1:20 pm

Yes, Ash..I remember when they had it on every year, same with The Wizard of Oz...we would watch those as a family, as well.  I haven't seen it in some time....I would like to though. :)

Written By: schmartypantz on 11/18/06 at 8:55 pm

I have NEVER seen it. :o

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/19/06 at 2:06 am

I boycotted this movie for many years, I pretty much just refused to watch it thinking it was a chick flick. My wife watched it all the time, I bought her the movie but for some reason I just didn't want to watch it. When my daughter Julie grew up and was watching it about 8-9 years ago, she insisted I watch it with her and I did & I loved it. The Von Trapp family Rocks!    http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif  plus we have that naughty bad girl nun thing going on with Sister Maria.  ;D

Written By: holicman on 11/19/06 at 6:51 am

I feel sorry for anybody who wasted money to see this crap.

Not as annoying as Grease, but pretty bad.

I think it was rather too cheesy for my liking.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/06 at 1:37 am

Psycho is a much better film of the sixties.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/25/06 at 10:43 am

In my opinion, one of the best movies of the "60's".  It starred Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer.  Anyone else here agree?  Disagree? :)

It was and still is a classic movie, they don't make movie musicals like "The Sound of Music" today, I think "Chicago" was the last musical movie made or the only one this decade and it's almost 07'. We saw that on a big screen in the old movie houses, you can't enjoy a movie like on todays small screens, it's meant to seen on big screens, the mountains and country vistas needs a cinemascope screen to do justise to that movie to take your breath away, we saw it a couple of times, it was that good and still is...Doe, a deer a....   

Written By: spaceace on 11/25/06 at 2:29 pm

It was and still is a classic movie, they don't make movie musicals like "The Sound of Music" today, I think "Chicago" was the last musical movie made or the only one this decade and it's almost 07'. We saw that on a big screen in the old movie houses, you can't enjoy a movie like on todays small screens, it's meant to seen on big screens, the mountains and country vistas needs a cinemascope screen to do justise to that movie to take your breath away, we saw it a couple of times, it was that good and still is...Doe, a deer a....   

Yes, exactly.  The scenes are breathtaking.  I like the song "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?" :)

Written By: hot_wax on 11/25/06 at 4:15 pm

Yes, exactly.  The scenes are breathtaking.  I like the song "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?" :)

Back in late 60's or early 70 the real Maria was a guest on the Wonderama Show from NY and when she was annouced to come out on camera I expected a Julie Andrews type beautiful women to show up, but a little old chunky lady in her 60's dressed in a German maids outfit walked out on camera and I was dis-illustioned and confused for the moment, I forgot for the moment that this movie was about a women in the 1930's and this was like 30 years later and she did get older and a far cry from Julie Andrews character image. It's shallow, but she must have been a real looker back in her twenties for Captain von Trapp to fall in love and marry. I don't know if she still is alive today but the memory of her life will live on forever...Alveiterzane (?) for now.

PS..."These are a Few a My Favorite Things" is played during the Christmas Holidays as an accepted Christmas song. I guess it's reminds people of a Chistmas present wish list.

Written By: spaceace on 11/25/06 at 4:34 pm

Back in late 60's or early 70 the real Maria was a guest on the Wonderama Show from NY and when she was annouced to come out on camera I expected a Julie Andrews type beautiful women to show up, but a little old chunky lady in her 60's dressed in a German maids outfit walked out on camera and I was dis-illustioned and confused for the moment, I forgot for the moment that this movie was about a women in the 1930's and this was like 30 years later and she did get older and a far cry from Julie Andrews character image. It's shallow, but she must have been a real looker back in her twenties for Captain von Trapp to fall in love and marry. I don't know if she still is alive today but the memory of her life will live on forever...Alveiterzane (?) for now.

PS..."These are a Few a My Favorite Things" is played during the Christmas Holidays as an accepted Christmas song. I guess it's reminds people of a Chistmas present wish list.

I have a copy of A&E Biography that they did on the Von Trapp Family.  Maria Von Trapp holds very little resemblance to Julie Andrews version.  The real Maria was quite a looker back in her 20's.  Sadly the real Maria Von Trapp died a few years ago.
Do they ever play the movie version of My Favorite Things?

Written By: hot_wax on 11/26/06 at 1:43 am

I have a copy of A&E Biography that they did on the Von Trapp Family.  Maria Von Trapp holds very little resemblance to Julie Andrews version.  The real Maria was quite a looker back in her 20's.  Sadly the real Maria Von Trapp died a few years ago.
Do they ever play the movie version of My Favorite Things?

I'm not sure what you mean about the movie version, is there a differance from the album and the movie that you know of?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/06 at 1:50 am

I'm sure what you mean about the movie version, is there a differance from the album and the movie that you know of?
I do know that some songs were left out from the movie version

Written By: spaceace on 11/26/06 at 11:27 am

I'm sure what you mean about the movie version, is there a difference from the album and the movie that you know of?

I've heard the album version played but never the movie version.  (Except on itunes radio) :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/06 at 6:57 pm

I don't know why I hated it so, but when my aunt took us to it when I was four, I hated it, and I've hated it ever since.  So no offense intended to TSOM fans, but early impressions die hard!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

I did like the "Sound of Music" fantasy Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) has on the plane in "European Vacation."
"My heart wants to sing with the sound of Griswold...."
:D

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 9:46 am

did i mention before, i saw an interview with the helicopter pilot who did the flyover responsible for that classic scene where julie andrews is dancing around like she just smoked a bunch of fly agaric. he's all, the pilot, 'dude, that was MY shot! that was MY genius! i was cheated!'

i wish i could remember where i saw that.

Written By: spaceace on 12/10/06 at 9:48 am

did i mention before, i saw an interview with the helicopter pilot who did the flyover responsible for that classic scene where julie andrews is dancing around like she just smoked a bunch of fly agaric. he's all, the pilot, 'dude, that was MY shot! that was MY genius! i was cheated!'

i wish i could remember where i saw that.

I'll look into it. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...