inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Beverly Hillbillies or Green Acres

Written By: spaceace on 11/28/06 at 7:31 am

Which is your favorite?

Subject: Re: The Beverly Hillbillies or Green Acres

Written By: Mushroom on 11/28/06 at 8:53 am

Which is your favorite?

Both of them.  Along with the other "hick TV series" based in the same area: Petticoat Junction.

All three of these shows actually occured in the same area, and the cast would frequently "cross over" into each other.

For me, trying to pick a favorite would be like trying to pick a favorite Beatle.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/28/06 at 9:02 am

If I HAD to choose (I didn't really like either of them)....I would say The Beverly Hillbillies.

Written By: PMS on 11/28/06 at 5:53 pm

Beverly Hillbillies. I identified with Granny. In fact that was my nickname from the age of five on up. I had and still do have the same temperment.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/28/06 at 6:29 pm

I have to put in for "Green Acres"  It would have been a tie, but Arnold Ziffle added that extra bit that put it over the top.  :)

Written By: zcrito on 12/04/06 at 5:45 pm

Beverly Hillbillies.

I never cared for Green Acres. It never had anything to offer. I like that pig as much as the next person but I quit watching Green Acres and shows like it back when I was 21. One morning while sitting there watching it I became physically nauseated and felt there must be something better to do than watch that god awful television show. Same goes for the other shows like Petticoat Junction and Gomer Pyle, I just never cared for them.

Now with The Beverly Hillbillies I never got that worthless television show feeling from it. It must be the characters and how they are portrayed (honest, hardworking, child like people) that gives it something the others never had.

:)

Written By: hot_wax on 12/04/06 at 7:07 pm

I always liked mind-less entertainment and these where the cream of the crop, the plots were shallow so I didn't have to think much only sit and watch and enjoy the stupidness of the characters, it was like " R and R for my brain" as all of those half hour Sit-coms of the 60's where for me. I liked the Hillbillies a little more because of the fantasy of having all that money and what I would do with it if it were all mine...and there was Elly Mae, a fantasy, well, lets just say, it was like the money fantasy!...Although Eva Gabor creped into a few fantasies too...WHAT!?.   

Written By: zcrito on 12/04/06 at 9:38 pm

I always liked mind-less entertainment and these where the cream of the crop, the plots were shallow so I didn't have to think much only sit and watch and enjoy the stupidness of the characters, it was like " R and R for my brain" as all of those half hour Sit-coms of the 60's where for me. I liked the Hillbillies a little more because of the fantasy of having all that money and what I would do with it if it were all mine...and there was Elly Mae, a fantasy, well, lets just say, it was like the money fantasy!...Although Eva Gabor creped into a few fantasies too...WHAT!?.   

"I liked the Hillbillies a little more because of the fantasy of having all that money and what I would do with it if it were all mine..."

Good point. That was another reason why I liked that show. 60M is what they had and that's how much I want too. That amount of money has always stuck with me as what separates the rich from the ultra-rich.

;)

Written By: schmartypantz on 12/07/06 at 10:02 am

Green Acres. that is some funny stuff right there.
;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/06 at 6:52 pm

Definitely "The Beverly Hillbillies."  "Green Acres" was funny too.

Whereas Bill Clinton reminds me of "Jethro," Ariana Huffington reminds me of "Lisa Douglas"!
;D

Written By: woops on 12/10/06 at 4:00 am

I watched "Green Acres", though not anymore...

Read somewhere that they ate Arnold Ziffle (the pig) when the series ended...  :o

Written By: zcrito on 12/10/06 at 1:15 pm

I watched "Green Acres", though not anymore...

Read somewhere that they ate Arnold Ziffle (the pig) when the series ended...  :o

-- thanks for a good laugh.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/12/06 at 4:57 pm

It's not as bad as that time on the set of Gilligans Island with Tina Louise and the Mars Bar!

Oh, wait a minute, that was the Rollingstones and Maryanne Faithfull (and it wasn't true)!
:P

Written By: Snoopygirl on 01/03/07 at 6:09 pm

I enjoyed both so it would be hard to pick one.

They both had catchy theme songs that you could really sing along to :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/03/07 at 6:10 pm

I have seen Green Acres more than I've seen The Beverly Hillbillies, but really - I am not partial to either all that passionately. I enjoy both almost as equally. I also liked Petticoat Junction.

Written By: spaceace on 01/05/07 at 3:43 pm

If you look at the casts, it seems that Green Acers was aimed more at older audiences while the Hillbilly's for a younger one. 

I agree.  The humor in Green Acres is more mature than The Beverly Hillbillies.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/05/07 at 5:49 pm

I agree.  The humor in Green Acres is more mature than The Beverly Hillbillies.

Hummm?... Mature!? Green Acres?...reeeally?       

Written By: spaceace on 01/05/07 at 8:02 pm

Hummm?... Mature!? Green Acres?...reeeally?       

Look beyond the pig . . . beyond the pig.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/05/07 at 8:32 pm

Ha Ha Ha!

Written By: zcrito on 01/07/07 at 11:13 am

That's nothing new. I've read stories before from TV critics about how GA is a show that shouldn't be viewed as just plain dumb but one with some very clever lines.
I don't care. For me I never saw anything worthwhile beyond that pig.
The pig needed to talk to his agent.

Edit: needs to needed.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/07/07 at 11:55 am

I love mindless entertainment but with a sence of reality and once you get beyond the pig I could never understand why with all of his lawyer money that he never knocked down that shack of a home and build a mansion and put a telephone in everyroom.

Written By: spaceace on 01/07/07 at 3:54 pm

I was alway fond of Lisa's stupidity, but she's usually right. :)

Written By: hot_wax on 01/07/07 at 9:25 pm

I was alway fond of Lisa's stupidity, but she's usually right. :)

Reeeally!? she did marry him and moved to that shack...was she right or was that a stupid move, would you do it?

Written By: spaceace on 01/08/07 at 3:02 pm

Reeeally!? she did marry him and moved to that shack...was she right or was that a stupid move, would you do it?

They needed a sophistcated New Yorker in their mist.  It's amazing what people will do for love.  Yeah, I do it. :)

Written By: hot_wax on 01/08/07 at 6:59 pm

They needed a sophistcated New Yorker in their mist.  It's amazing what people will do for love.  Yeah, I do it. :)

Wait! you're a sophistcated New York Socialite wife, married to a NY lawyer, living in a penthouse over looking Central Park, and you would leave all that for that shack and a romp in the hay, and you get allergic smelling hay to boot!...I don't think so...you can't love someone that much to make a life changing commitment without your husband giving you a life stlye comparable to the one you're giving up...like building a mansion with live in servants and a new stove to cook your hot cakes on...maybe I could believe you if you demanded these basic luxuries. That's the least I would do for a wife who wore negligees like that to bed with me.

So what are your demands to change your post office address from Park Ave East NYC to Hootersville USA?... and don't tell me "just love" Spaceace, I don't believe you.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/08/07 at 8:13 pm

The  Beverly Hillbillies.  Jethro was hilarious.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/10/07 at 11:07 am

Hmmmmm..... Both shows were created by Paul Henning, I do believe. Both were great, so comparing them might be hard for some people. In my opinion, the tip of the scale is leaning towards Green Acres. How a show, in the free loving sixties, with the town name of Hooterville, escaped any drug, or sexual reference at all towards it's name, is amazing to me. Now the question is hmmmmm.... Arnold Ziffel, or Jethro Bodine. Actually, the pig seems smarter!

Written By: hot_wax on 01/10/07 at 4:06 pm

Hmmmmm..... Both shows were created by Paul Henning, I do believe. Both were great, so comparing them might be hard for some people. In my opinion, the tip of the scale is leaning towards Green Acres. How a show, in the free loving sixties, with the town name of Hooterville, escaped any drug, or sexual reference at all towards it's name, is amazing to me. Now the question is hmmmmm.... Arnold Ziffel, or Jethro Bodine. Actually, the pig seems smarter!

Ha Ha Ha! you're OK! 

Written By: bubbarx on 01/10/07 at 6:45 pm

Back then I liked both, but over time I think The Beverly Hillbilly's were definately the more classic show. Two shows that stick out more than others were 1) the one where there was a kangaroo (forget the whole story line) but Granny thought it was a giant rabbit, and 2) the one where Jethro was hanging out with beatniks and said granny would be smoking crawdads, somewhat of a takeoff on pot, and they were all going nuts waiting to smoke crawdads. Both of these were classics.....

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/12/07 at 10:43 am

Ha Ha Ha! you're OK! 

Thank you
Glad I could make you giggle, hot wax.
You're OK too

Written By: hot_wax on 01/12/07 at 8:03 pm

Thank you
Glad I could make you giggle, hot wax.
You're OK too

We have to laugh at ourselves, look what we're doing...

Written By: nally on 12/01/08 at 9:49 pm

I would have to go with the Beverly Hillbillies. I never really watched "Green Acres", except for the theme music.

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/08 at 11:49 pm

I would say other:  Petticoat Junction.  I don't know if Junction was a spin off from Hillbillies, or vice versa, but sometimes the characters would crossover

Season 1 of 'Petticoat Junction' is coming to DVD and I am so excited 8)

Written By: Signals7777 on 12/07/08 at 2:41 pm

I Love both, Green Acres is my favorite.

Lisa and Oliver are funnier than Jed and his kin.

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/18/09 at 7:56 pm

I voted for the Beverly Hillbillies. To quote Jethro............."Grann-eeeeeeeeeeee !!!"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/09 at 12:56 am

I'll go with Green Acres 'coz I'm sick of Beverly Hillbillies and Eva Gabor sounds just like Arianna Huffington, which is fun!
As far as I'm concerned, Beverly Hillbillies is basically a holdover of California ridicule of "Okies" from the Dust Bowl days.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/farmerjohn.gif

Written By: mooster on 02/28/09 at 7:06 pm

Green Acres by a small margin. Loved Arnold Ziffel !

Written By: Frank on 03/01/09 at 2:41 am

The Beverly Hillbillies ...
never realy got into Green Acres.

and Donna Douglas was cute... ;)

Written By: Michael C. on 03/01/09 at 12:38 pm

Hillbillies....by far.

Written By: star80 on 04/04/09 at 5:15 pm

Petticoat Junction

Yes ^ that was a good show along with Green Acres, but my vote went to The Beverly Hillbillies.

Check for new replies or respond here...