inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Monkees.

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 2:26 pm

The Monkees have been hanging around for almost four decades.  Does anyone have a theory on why they haven't disappeared like so many before them. 

Subject: Re: The Monkees.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/29/06 at 2:31 pm

The Monkees have been hanging around for almost four decades.  Does anyone have a theory on why they haven't disappeared like so many before them. 

Because Davey Jones is so dreamy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/06 at 2:32 pm

You do not see much of The Monkees on UK television, and I just remember them as a 60s thing.

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 2:33 pm

Because Davey Jones is so dreamy.

Yeah, probably the dreamiest Grandfather in the world.

Micky's still cute.  :)

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 2:38 pm

You do not see much of The Monkees on UK television, and I just remember them as a 60s thing.

Every once in a while they will make an appearance on a television show.  Plus they're planning on touring for their 40th Anniversary.  Most people do remember them as a sixty's thing.  Which would explain the 60 year olds chasing after them!!! ;D

Written By: Tia on 11/29/06 at 7:15 pm

although the monkees are still around i definitely associate them with the 60s. hmm, there's some gray area here!

that movie about them is supposed to be a weird masterpiece. it's on my netflix queue but i haven't ever seen it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/30/06 at 3:44 am

although the monkees are still around i definitely associate them with the 60s. hmm, there's some gray area here!

that movie about them is supposed to be a weird masterpiece. it's on my netflix queue but i haven't ever seen it.
Would you be referring to their 1968 film "Head?" I actually loved that movie, it is kind of a weird masterpiece. A young Jack Nicholson had a hand in writing it, and he even makes a cameo. The skits are much more bizarre than those on their TV show, plus there's a ton of groovy late-60's psychedelic camera effects.  Makes me wish I could still smoke pot.
    Just don't try to make any sense of it, otherwise your head may wind up exploding.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/03/06 at 5:04 pm

The Monkees....The Menudos of Rock and Roll

Written By: spaceace on 12/03/06 at 6:42 pm

The Monkees....The Menudos of Rock and Roll

If that's the case, why did they hang out with the Beatles? ::)

Written By: Tia on 12/03/06 at 6:56 pm

If that's the case, why did they hang out with the Beatles? ::)
did you ever see "head'? was it by the same director who did "magical mystery tour"?

Written By: spaceace on 12/03/06 at 7:20 pm

did you ever see "head'? was it by the same director who did "magical mystery tour"?

I have the DVD Head.  No it's not the same director.  Bert Schnedier and Bob Ralfelson directed both Head and they were involved with Easy Rider and the movie Five Easy Pieces.
The Beatles loved the Monkees, and never said an ill word about them.

Written By: Tia on 12/03/06 at 7:28 pm

i frickin' love easy rider. AND five easy. i'ma bump head up in my netflix queue.

Written By: spaceace on 12/03/06 at 7:31 pm

i frickin' love easy rider. AND five easy. i'ma bump head up in my netflix queue.

Oh you have to see Head.  You will love it.  It's SUPER FRINKY.  :)

Written By: spaceace on 12/08/06 at 5:08 pm

I'm going to see Micky Dolenz appear in the play Pippin on Sunday!!!!! :) :) 8)

Written By: Tia on 12/08/06 at 5:20 pm

I'm going to see Micky Dolenz appear in the play Pippin on Sunday!!!!! :) :) 8)
you should try and get backstage!

Written By: spaceace on 12/08/06 at 5:21 pm

you should try and get backstage!

Of course I'll try!!!  8)

Written By: Tia on 12/09/06 at 1:33 pm

half hour into "head" -- whoa! is that an incredibly young teri garr?

and i thought maybe i saw ronald reagan during the channel changing bit.

i had no idea the monkees were so political! it's very anti-war, seems like. and so far, my favorite thing about it...

http://www.everythingsg.com/celebs/nesmithsg2.JPG

that gorgeous white SG custom with the midrange pickup! daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Written By: spaceace on 12/09/06 at 1:46 pm

half hour into "head" -- whoa! is that an incredibly young teri garr?

and i thought maybe i saw ronald reagan during the channel changing bit.

i had no idea the monkees were so political! it's very anti-war, seems like. and so far, my favorite thing about it...

http://www.everythingsg.com/celebs/nesmithsg2.JPG

that gorgeous white SG custom with the midrange pickup! daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Yep that was one of Teri's first movies.  Yes, you did see some Reagan clips.  The Monkees were very political.  I'm so glad you enjoy the movie!!! :)

Written By: Tia on 12/09/06 at 1:51 pm

Yep that was one of Teri's first movies.  Yes, you did see some Reagan clips.  The Monkees were very political.  I'm so glad you enjoy the movie!!! :)
i also thought i mighta seen jack nicholson for a few frames in that scene in the diner about hitting girls. hmm...

and annette funicello! it's an all-star cast.

Written By: spaceace on 12/09/06 at 1:53 pm

i also thought i mighta seen jack nicholson for a few frames in that scene in the diner about hitting girls. hmm...

and annette funicello! it's an all-star cast.

Yep Jack's in the Diner scene.  (He also helped write Head)  Did you see the late great boxer Sonny Liston yet? :)

Written By: Tia on 12/09/06 at 1:59 pm

Yep Jack's in the Diner scene.  (He also helped write Head)  Did you see the late great boxer Sonny Liston yet? :)
cool! i wasn't sure if that was really him. lots of fun celebrity spotting.

i'm not too surprised he'd have helped with the writing, what with all the surrealism. did you ever see "the trip"? roger corman flick from around the same time. jack nicholson wrote that too, and it's quite odd. good though.

Written By: spaceace on 12/09/06 at 2:02 pm

cool! i wasn't sure if that was really him. lots of fun celebrity spotting.

i'm not too surprised he'd have helped with the writing, what with all the surrealism. did you ever see "the trip"? roger corman flick from around the same time. jack nicholson wrote that too, and it's quite odd. good though.

I have not seen The Trip yet, I'm going to have to.  Yeah, Jack was good with the surrealism. :)

Written By: Tia on 12/09/06 at 2:04 pm

I have not seen The Trip yet, I'm going to have to.  Yeah, Jack was good with the surrealism. :)
by total coincidence i was having fun last night with the wav file from easy rider where jack has the bizarre monologue about the UFOs beaming back at you. great site for easy rider wavs!

http://www.moviesounds.com/easy.html

Written By: spaceace on 12/09/06 at 2:06 pm

by total coincidence i was having fun last night with the wav file from easy rider where jack has the bizarre monologue about the UFOs beaming back at you. great site for easy rider wavs!

http://www.moviesounds.com/easy.html

OMG what was he smoking???

Written By: Tia on 12/09/06 at 2:10 pm

OMG what was he smoking???
actually... marijuana.  ;D skuttlebutt has it they actually toked up on the set to do that scene.

they also did LSD as part of their research for "the trip." real psychonauts back in the day. but i feel obliged to say: kids? say no to drugs. don't let jack be a role model!

Written By: spaceace on 12/09/06 at 2:13 pm

actually... marijuana.  ;D skuttlebutt has it they actually toked up on the set to do that scene.

they also did LSD as part of their research for "the trip." real psychonauts back in the day. but i feel obliged to say: kids? say no to drugs. don't let jack be a role model!

I know, I wasn't sure if I could say it without being censured.  BTW they were smoking everything in sight while writing Head. ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/09/06 at 2:23 pm

I know, I wasn't sure if I could say it without being censured.  BTW they were smoking everything in sight while writing Head. ;D
just saw the bit where they get sucked into the vacuum cleaner and the one guy picks up what looks like a giant roach: "this isn't one of your standard brands." ha! i get it. ;) 8)

the stuff in the factory with the guy talking about how in the future our only concern will be finding ways to entertain ourselves -- "the tragedy of your age is you may get everything you want." brilliant! kinda came true, too.

Written By: spaceace on 12/09/06 at 2:29 pm

just saw the bit where they get sucked into the vacuum cleaner and the one guy picks up what looks like a giant roach: "this isn't one of your standard brands." ha! i get it. ;) 8)

the stuff in the factory with the guy talking about how in the future our only concern will be finding ways to entertain ourselves -- "the tragedy of your age is you may get everything you want." brilliant! kinda came true, too.

Yeah, you really have to read in between the lines with the movie.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/06 at 6:28 pm

Every once in a while they will make an appearance on a television show.  Plus they're planning on touring for their 40th Anniversary.  Most people do remember them as a sixty's thing.  Which would explain the 60 year olds chasing after them!!! ;D

Ha! I remember their 20th anniversary comeback tour.  My HS girlfriend was into them.  It was more than a kitsch thing, and indeed they had some great songs in their oeuvre.  My favorite is a toss-up between "Daydream Believer" and "Last Train to Clarksville." 

Some better writing and directing couldn't have hurt that TV series.  They could have gone at least a few more seasons.
:-\\

Written By: Tia on 12/09/06 at 11:45 pm

are you going to follow them around the country? let me know when they play the washington area, i'll go with ya! :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/10/06 at 4:27 am

Yeah, you really have to read in between the lines with the movie.  :)
Although it's been a year or so since I've seen "Head," one of my favorite parts is when Davy Jones does this softshoe routine (with a young Toni Basil). After the song is over, Davy walks out of the studio and meets Frank Zappa, who for some reason has a cow with him. Davy then asks Zappa what he thought of his dance routine, and Zappa looks at him and says, "It was pretty white."  ;D

Written By: spaceace on 12/10/06 at 9:06 am

Ha! I remember their 20th anniversary comeback tour.  My HS girlfriend was into them.  It was more than a kitsch thing, and indeed they had some great songs in their oeuvre.  My favorite is a toss-up between "Daydream Believer" and "Last Train to Clarksville." 

Some better writing and directing couldn't have hurt that TV series.  They could have gone at least a few more seasons.
:-\\

I got started with their 20th.  All the good directors were working on Bewitched. :)

Written By: spaceace on 12/10/06 at 9:08 am

are you going to follow them around the country? let me know when they play the washington area, i'll go with ya! :)

No, I'm not going to follow them around the country, I have a life to live.  If they are in D.C. since I'm about 2 hours way, sure I'll go.  (And so will you!! :))

Written By: spaceace on 12/10/06 at 9:10 am

Although it's been a year or so since I've seen "Head," one of my favorite parts is when Davy Jones does this softshoe routine (with a young Toni Basil). After the song is over, Davy walks out of the studio and meets Frank Zappa, who for some reason has a cow with him. Davy then asks Zappa what he thought of his dance routine, and Zappa looks at him and says, "It was pretty white."  ;D

Yeah, I like that part too.  Remember when the cop starts a strip tease dance. ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 9:44 am

i got a little monkees going on rhapsody, LOVE last train to clarksville. not sure i knew that was them.

what'd you think of the smashmouth cover of "i'm a believer," as popularized by the feel-good movie of whicheveryearitwas, shrek?

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 9:47 am

on the other hand, "auntie grizelda" sorta dares ya to listen to it, doesn't it? ;D

Written By: spaceace on 12/10/06 at 9:52 am

i got a little monkees going on rhapsody, LOVE last train to clarksville. not sure i knew that was them.

what'd you think of the smashmouth cover of "i'm a believer," as popularized by the feel-good movie of whicheveryearitwas, shrek?

Last Train to Clarksville is an anti-war song, so it figures you'd like it.

I've always been a purest.  I'm a Believer was written by Neil Diamond.  (Yes, he used to be cool!!)  His version is better than either Smashmouth or The Monkees.

For a remake though Smashmouth did do it justice. :)

Written By: spaceace on 12/10/06 at 9:54 am

on the other hand, "auntie grizelda" sorta dares ya to listen to it, doesn't it? ;D

Auntie Grizelda is the ultimate anti-establishment song.  I love Peter's duck sounds. :)

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 9:57 am

girl i knew somewhere reminds me a little bit of "dreaming" by blondie.

Written By: spaceace on 12/10/06 at 9:59 am

girl i knew somewhere reminds me a little bit of "dreaming" by blondie.

Why do I feel the urge to compare and contrast? ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 10:00 am

Last Train to Clarksville is an anti-war song, so it figures you'd like it.
anti-war!? ANTI-war?!? those damn french surrender monkees! ;D

actually, what nationality are they? if they hang with jack nicholson i'd think they were california, and they have that california sound, but i think i heard some british accents in the movie. (man, i'm suddenly realizing i know NOTHING about the monkees. :-[)

Written By: spaceace on 12/10/06 at 10:07 am

anti-war!? ANTI-war?!? those damn french surrender monkees! ;D

actually, what nationality are they? if they hang with jack nicholson i'd think they were california, and they have that california sound, but i think i heard some british accents in the movie. (man, i'm suddenly realizing i know NOTHING about the monkees. :-[)

The song is about a soldier going off to Vietnam.  As for the French surrender Monkees, remember the key word Surrealism.

Micky Dolenz is from Los Angeles
Davy Jones is from Manchester England
Peter Tork is from Washington D.C.
Mike Nesmith is from Houston Texas

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 10:09 am

The song is about a soldier going off to Vietnam.  As for the French surrender Monkees, remember the key word Surrealism.

Micky Dolenz is from Los Angeles
Davy Jones is from Manchester England
Peter Tork is from Washington D.C.
Mike Nesmith is from Houston Texas
cool! i live in washington d.c., and grew up in houston. my parents live in england, and kim richards lives in LA. so i'm basically a monkee!

Written By: spaceace on 12/10/06 at 10:13 am

cool! i live in washington d.c., and grew up in Houston. my parents live in england, and kim richards lives in LA. so i'm basically a monkee!

AND . . . you play your own instrument.  I never cease to be impressed!! :)

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 10:32 am

AND . . . you play your own instrument.  I never cease to be impressed!! :)
porpoise song is WAY trippy.

not to be confused with "i am the walrus," which i think came out the following year? (magical mystery tour, 68, yes?) i wonder if it's possible john lennon got his inspiration from the monkees!

so far that's my favorite. very cool tune. 8)

Written By: spaceace on 12/10/06 at 10:45 am

porpoise song is WAY trippy.

not to be confused with "i am the walrus," which i think came out the following year? (magical mystery tour, 68, yes?) i wonder if it's possible john lennon got his inspiration from the monkees!

so far that's my favorite. very cool tune. 8)

Porpoise Song is very cool.  John could have gotten some inspiration from that, after all the two bands did hang out together. :)

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 10:51 am

i'm listening to a live album now. it's funny how they're all, hey, sit down! quit throwing things, or we're going to leave!

how times have changed.

i remember hearing a live cut of the sundays in concert (i love the sundays) and a mosh pit gets started, which, if you know the sundays, is hilarious. it's like a biker brawl breaking out at a randy newman show. so lead singer is all, um, stop with the moshin' or else we're going to stop playing.

Written By: Paul on 12/10/06 at 12:01 pm

And here in Britain, we are fast approaching the 40th anniversary of the show first being shown...

At the time, there was enough talk about the show for the BBC to justify launching it prime-time on New Years' Eve 1966...

Earlier that evening, an episode of 'Juke Box Jury' (a popular TV show where new discs were played to a panel of celebrity 'experts') featured the Monkees' new single 'I'm A Believer'...which ended up being a resounding 'hit'...

Beforehand, Davy Jones had pre-recorded several 'break-bumpers' which were slotted in-between programmes, informing us that 'The Monkees are 1 hour, 30 minutes away'...etc.

(Sadly, these break-bumpers were wiped by the BBC...common practice at the time...)

Eventually, at 6:15 that evening, Britain had its first dose of the Monkees with 'Royal Flush'...but only in glorious monochrome (colour TV didn't start for another 6 months)...and even then, we didn't see the boys in full colour until the first batch of re-runs in 1972...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/12/06 at 5:14 pm

Oooh!  How could I forget "Auntie Grizelda" (Hilderbrand/Killer) one of the best The Monkees ever did.  They're not extinct, the "Auntie Grizeldas of the world, and that not necessarily aunts or named Grizelda.  In a few short lines that song demonstrates my late Great Aunt Carol.  You know, the one who never got married, went to church three times a week, and always had the lowdown on everybody else's iniquities!

I know shes having a fit,
She doesnt like me a bit,
No bird of grace ever lit on auntie grizelda.

You cant begrudge her style, your auntie grizelda,
She couldnt budge a smile and do it for free.
So righteous making fudge, your auntie grizelda,
So proper judging others over her tea.

:o

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/m/monkees/your+auntie+grizelda_20095457.html

Another thing I remember about the "Auntie Grizelda" song is it was my sister's gay boyfriend's favorite Monkees song.  I remember him playing it several times consecutively on my sister's stereo and laughing like some ladies do!
(Yes, Dennis was very gay, but when you're fifteen, it's still semi-equivocal!)

Written By: spaceace on 12/12/06 at 9:57 pm

I like the song "I'm gonna buy me a dog".  Yes, I know the words by heart. :)

Written By: Tia on 12/14/06 at 8:16 am

okie dokey. this is my easy listening-countrified-jam bandy monkees tribute. you're only allowed to say nice things about it/

the video part is a throwaway. i find youtube is a good place to host music files, although you lose your stereo, which sucks. does anyone know of a good place to host music files????

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J_PJsL0Hrlo

Written By: Tia on 12/14/06 at 7:57 pm

well THAT went over huge! ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/14/06 at 10:05 pm

Frank Zappa starred on their TV show on one episode, in which he and a member of The Monkees switched roles, and dressed as eac other.

Written By: Tia on 12/14/06 at 10:05 pm

now i'm listening to the byrds greatest hits. damn you.

my mom used to play this album all the time.

Written By: spaceace on 12/15/06 at 6:00 pm

okie dokey. this is my easy listening-countrified-jam bandy monkees tribute. you're only allowed to say nice things about it/

the video part is a throwaway. i find youtube is a good place to host music files, although you lose your stereo, which sucks. does anyone know of a good place to host music files????

That was lovely Tia.  The guys would be proud. :)

Written By: spaceace on 12/15/06 at 6:01 pm

Frank Zappa starred on their TV show on one episode, in which he and a member of The Monkees switched roles, and dressed as eac other.

Mike's fake nose kept falling off. ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/15/06 at 10:06 pm

aw thanks acey. i'ma do porpoise song too i think. it's pretty easy, with the way everything's hooked up if i'm gonna practice it's basically just as easy to do a little multitrack thing. computers are great.

so i'm watching the second half now. frank zappa's in the movie too. there's an extras menu with all the cameos on it. i missed dennis hopper!

did i mention "medium cool" and "petulia"? two movies from the same time, a bit similar stylistically. real classics of the late 60s, summer of love.

Written By: spaceace on 12/16/06 at 3:35 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061216/music_nm/monkees_dolenz_dc

ENJOY!!! :) 8)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/18/06 at 12:35 pm

That was lovely Tia.  The guys would be proud. :)

Yeah they would!  :)

Written By: spaceace on 12/18/06 at 1:45 pm

Yeah they would!  :)

Ash agrees with me. . . it's official!

Written By: Tia on 12/18/06 at 6:00 pm

thx yall! :)

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/18/06 at 6:06 pm

I used to watch these guys! I used to love their silly bunch of humor mixed in with the music. My two favorites songs were:
" Back upon my feet again " and  " Star Collector ". I think that might be the reason of them being remembered all these years.
Question that's been bugging me as I haven't seen a show in a long time. Over the ending credits they played two different songs. The first was the Monkees theme. I cannot remember the name of the other one. All I remember is the first line " In this generation.." I'd love to know it so I can download it. Used to be upset at the end cause I knew I would never meet Davy Jones who I was absolutely in love with! :(

Written By: spaceace on 12/18/06 at 6:09 pm

I used to watch these guys! I used to love their silly bunch of humor mixed in with the music. My two favorites songs were:
" Back upon my feet again " and  " Star Collector ". I think that might be the reason of them being remembered all these years.
Question that's been bugging me as I haven't seen a show in a long time. Over the ending credits they played two different songs. The first was the Monkees theme. I cannot remember the name of the other one. All I remember is the first line " In this generation.." I'd love to know it so I can download it. Used to be upset at the end cause I knew I would never meet Davy Jones who I was absolutely in love with! :(

The end song during the second season was a song called "For Pete's Sake" written by Peter Tork.  Davy Lives in PA. :)

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/18/06 at 6:13 pm

The end song during the second season was a song called "For Pete's Sake" written by Peter Tork.  Davy Lives in PA. :)

Alright!
Road trip :)

Written By: spaceace on 12/18/06 at 6:15 pm

Alright!
Road trip :)

Last time I heard he was still in Beavertown PA.  I hope you do get to meet him sometime soon he's a trip!!! :)

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/18/06 at 6:20 pm

First I have to figure out where Beavertown is. :)
Sounds familiar.

Written By: spaceace on 12/18/06 at 6:37 pm

First I have to figure out where Beavertown is. :)
Sounds familiar.

It's on the western end of the state.  Davy's in the process of turning an abandon church he bought into a museum. (Could be interesting>) :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/06 at 1:33 am

that was pretty cool.  It did sound a little countrified, like something from Bob's Country Bunker. Did you play the music and how long did it take you to put it all together?

Written By: Tia on 12/19/06 at 7:18 am

that was pretty cool.  It did sound a little countrified, like something from Bob's Country Bunker. Did you play the music and how long did it take you to put it all together?
yup, couple hours. i was going through the patches on my gt-8, guitar effects board, and there was this "country" twang patch i hadn't found before and i quite liked it. so i think i used that for the "vocal" part and that solo at the end. had to customize the wah wah.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/10/07 at 11:53 am

Actually, I thought that I heard that the Monkees "HEAD" movie was directed by Jack Nicholson

Written By: spaceace on 01/10/07 at 3:47 pm

Actually, I thought that I heard that the Monkees "HEAD" movie was directed by Jack Nicholson

I'm looking at the movie poster for Head and I see . . . directed by Bob Rafelson.  Jack and Bob produced Head. :)

Written By: AH3RD on 01/10/07 at 7:59 pm

I remember first seeing The Monkees TV show in a marathon on MTV on that fateful Sunday back in late February 1986 (to coincide with the group's 20th anniversary) along with my sister @ our grandmother's. Those live-action cartoon SFX, those musical numbers...boy, they sure had a profound effect on me. (I remember thinking to myself, "I could swear I'd seen this before"!) They virtually (and still do!) got rich off me, as, in the 14+ years since, I squandered the lot purchasing and collecting LPs, audiocassettes, CDs, books, cards, videocassettes, magazine articles and TV Guide listings of original firstrun episodes of The Monkees on NBC (the last 2 items in the form of xeroxed photocopies). I also have been a proud subscriber to Monkee Business Fanzine from 1994 until the very end in 2002.

My favorite Monkees album is Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd.. My favorite Monkees songs are "Randy Scouse Git", "For Pete's Sake", "Star Collector," "She Hangs Out" (Part 2), "Tear The Top Right Off Of My Head," "Tear Drop City," and "I Don't Think You Know Me". My favorite episodes of The Monkees TV series are "Mijacogeo" (a.k.a. "The Frodis Caper"), "The Monkees On The Wheel", "Art For Monkee's Sake",

Written By: spaceace on 01/10/07 at 8:06 pm

I remember first seeing The Monkees TV show in a marathon on MTV on that fateful Sunday back in late February 1986 (to coincide with the group's 20th anniversary) along with my sister @ our grandmother's. Those live-action cartoon SFX, those musical numbers...boy, they sure had a profound effect on me. (I remember thinking to myself, "I could swear I'd seen this before"!) They virtually (and still do!) got rich off me, as, in the 14+ years since, I squandered the lot purchasing and collecting LPs, audiocassettes, CDs, books, cards, videocassettes, magazine articles and TV Guide listings of original firstrun episodes of The Monkees on NBC (the last 2 items in the form of xeroxed photocopies). I also have been a proud subscriber to Monkee Business Fanzine from 1994 until the very end in 2002.

My favorite Monkees album is Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd.. My favorite Monkees songs are "Randy Scouse Git", "For Pete's Sake", "Star Collector," "She Hangs Out" (Part 2), "Tear The Top Right Off Of My Head," "Tear Drop City," and "I Don't Think You Know Me". My favorite episodes of The Monkees TV series are "Mijacogeo" (a.k.a. "The Frodis Caper"), "The Monkees On The Wheel", "Art For Monkee's Sake",

Written By: AH3RD on 01/10/07 at 8:11 pm

Thank you Aaron.  He shows up after six months and gives us this!!!  :P

Well, I am a busy man...  ::)

Written By: spaceace on 01/10/07 at 8:15 pm

Well, I am a busy man...  ::)

Did you see Micky in Pippin, yet???

Written By: AH3RD on 01/10/07 at 8:24 pm

Did you see Micky in Pippin, yet???

Nope.

Written By: spaceace on 01/10/07 at 8:27 pm

Nope.

You really should.  It was great!!!  BTW, Mick's going bald. (Opps) ::)

Subject: GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: AH3RD on 02/05/07 at 7:05 pm

According to a poster @ Monkeetalk who e-mailed Dr. Rhino, it is rest assured that the 2-CD Deluxe Editions of Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd. most definitely will be released next month!!  :) ;) :D ;D 8) :-*

Subject: Re: GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: spaceace on 02/06/07 at 4:52 pm

According to a poster @ Monkeetalk who e-mailed Dr. Rhino, it is rest assured that the 2-CD Deluxe Editions of Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd. most definitely will be released next month!!  :) ;) :D ;D 8) :-*

Okay fine, making note of that.  BTW, will the Headquarters have them with beards??

Oh, one more thing try not to use so many exclamation points. ::)

Written By: spaceace on 03/08/07 at 9:30 am

It's Micky Dolenz birthday!!!  Must go celebrate!!!! :) :) :)

Written By: spaceace on 05/08/07 at 8:46 pm

I'm locking it.  Mushroom's tread will take over.

Written By: Tia on 05/08/07 at 10:48 pm

I'm locking it.  Mushroom's tread will take over.
aw, you should just let the monkees threads proliferate.

it's not like i'm not shamelessly profligate with the kim richards threads. the more kim richards threads there are, the more it speaks to the awe-inspiring glory that is... kim richards.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/08/07 at 11:06 pm

Actually I forgot about this one - would rather let mine die and continue with this one  :)

Written By: spaceace on 05/09/07 at 8:09 am

aw, you should just let the monkees threads proliferate.

it's not like i'm not shamelessly profligate with the kim richards threads. the more kim richards threads there are, the more it speaks to the awe-inspiring glory that is... kim richards.

You have a point. :)

Written By: spaceace on 05/09/07 at 8:11 am

Actually I forgot about this one - would rather let mine die and continue with this one  :)

I thought yours was aimed more towards Mike which I thought was cool. :)

Written By: Mushroom on 05/09/07 at 5:57 pm

I thought yours was aimed more towards Mike which I thought was cool. :)

Well, Mike probably had the most visible post-Monkee career of any of the 4.  Between the early music videos, long form videos, movie production, and other things he was the one that most people were likely to see.

Davey mostly went back to live theater.  So unless you lived someplace like NY, you would likely not see him.

Micky did a little acting, but mostly moved into the world of voice-over work.  As far back as 1971, he was doing voice work for Saturday morning cartoons (The Funky Phantom and others).  So while many people heard him, he was not seen and rarely recognized for what he did.

Peter is the only one that pretty much left the industry.  It is only in the last 10-15 years that he has seriously returned to performing.

Written By: spaceace on 05/09/07 at 6:01 pm

Well, Mike probably had the most visible post-Monkee career of any of the 4.  Between the early music videos, long form videos, movie production, and other things he was the one that most people were likely to see.

Davey mostly went back to live theater.  So unless you lived someplace like NY, you would likely not see him.

Micky did a little acting, but mostly moved into the world of voice-over work.  As far back as 1971, he was doing voice work for Saturday morning cartoons (The Funky Phantom and others).  So while many people heard him, he was not seen and rarely recognized for what he did.

Peter is the only one that pretty much left the industry.  It is only in the last 10-15 years that he has seriously returned to performing.

True Mike stayed a Hollywood mainstreamer.

Davy was still trying to pull off the cute teen idol thing.  Come to think of it he's still doing it.

Micky has done quite a lot of off Broadway stuff.

Peter has his band "Shoe Suede Blues" which are a wonderful live band.

Written By: Cloudburst on 06/09/07 at 1:12 pm

Oh you have to see Head.  You will love it.  It's SUPER FRINKY.   :)

I remember seeing "Head" back in '83, and being nightmarishly disturbed (I was 13...what can I say).
I recently watched it and gained a new appreciation for it. Dark humour, and a sarcastic commentary of the pervading "hippie" culture.

Zappa: That song was pretty white
Jones: Well, so am I

So, are we "pretty white" because we enjoyed "Head"?

Perhaps, to which I reply: "Pass the mayo."

Written By: spaceace on 06/09/07 at 4:00 pm

I remember seeing "Head" back in '83, and being nightmarishly disturbed (I was 13...what can I say).
I recently watched it and gained a new appreciation for it. Dark humour, and a sarcastic commentary of the pervading "hippie" culture.

Zappa: That song was pretty white
Jones: Well, so am I

So, are we "pretty white" because we enjoyed "Head"?

Perhaps, to which I reply: "Pass the mayo."

I think you would have had to had been at least 16 to understand it.
The humor in it is great. 
My favorite parts are Micky in the desert and the vacuum cleaner.

Written By: Cloudburst on 06/09/07 at 4:48 pm

HAHAHA...Ya, the vaccuum cleaner scene is classic.
"Look fellas, you're supposed to be dandruff, will you work a little?"...or when they find that enormous roach.

I also like the Michael Nesmith birthday party scene, and the scene where they're walking through the factory.

I guess you're right about the age factor. I just remember renting it because I loved the TV show, then being overwhelmed by this hallucinatory barrage of weird and confusing images. The huge eye in the mirror, especially, disturbed me. 
At the time, I didn't really get it, although I thought Peter was cute.
Watching it now, I find it fascinating, albeit a little self-indulgent.

Written By: spaceace on 06/09/07 at 8:14 pm

HAHAHA...Ya, the vaccuum cleaner scene is classic.
"Look fellas, you're supposed to be dandruff, will you work a little?"...or when they find that enormous roach.

I also like the Michael Nesmith birthday party scene, and the scene where they're walking through the factory.

I guess you're right about the age factor. I just remember renting it because I loved the TV show, then being overwhelmed by this hallucinatory barrage of weird and confusing images. The huge eye in the mirror, especially, disturbed me. 
At the time, I didn't really get it, although I thought Peter was cute.
Watching it now, I find it fascinating, albeit a little self-indulgent.

Mike classic line . . . "And the same thing goes for Christmas".  Yeah, I love the party scene too.

It takes a few times watching it in order to really understand it.

The roach scene is great too . . . Micky shout "AHHH, it's the Lancashire Midget Greenie"  then tumbles down the hill. ;D

Written By: Cloudburst on 06/09/07 at 8:27 pm

Mike classic line . . . "And the same thing goes for Christmas".  Yeah, I love the party scene too.

It takes a few times watching it in order to really understand it.

The roach scene is great too . . . Micky shout "AHHH, it's the Lancashire Midget Greenie"  then tumbles down the hill. ;D

".....I'd like a glass of cold gravy with a hair in it, please."

Written By: spaceace on 06/09/07 at 9:12 pm

".....I'd like a glass of cold gravy with a hair in it, please."

"One of your own?"

Written By: Mushroom on 06/12/07 at 4:03 pm

I think you would have had to had been at least 16 to understand it.
The humor in it is great. 
My favorite parts are Micky in the desert and the vacuum cleaner.

How about that damned Coke machine?

I recently borrowed a copy from a friend, and saw it for the first time in over 20 years.  It was even more strange then I remembered.

You can really see how they were useing it to try and break their old "cutsey" image.  The Monkees suffered the same problem that The Jackson Five and The Osmonds suffered from.  They all tried to be "Cutting Edge" musicians, but because of their earliest hits found themselves perpetually classified as "Bubblegum Pop".

The Osmonds in the late 1960's were trying to portray themselves as a "Cleaner Led Zeppelin".  With the long hair, and rocking songs like ""Hold Her Tight" (which many compared to "The Immigrant Song") and "Crazy Horses", it was obvious they were not all bubblegum.  But the fans all seemed to want to hear songs by Donny (and later by Marie).  So instead of doing a psychedelic songs like "Yo-Yo", they would have to do repeated performances of songs like "Puppy Love".

Even the earliest songs by The Monkees were mostly serious songs, disguised as bubblegum.  Everybody knows the pop sound of "Last Train To Clarksville", but most do not realize it is about a soldier who had been drafted, and was about to be sent to Vietnam.

Of course, one of their least-heard lyrics is the Ditty Diego War Chant, which was the lead song in Head.  It is a thinly disguised attack on the producers of their TV show:

Hey, hey, we are the Monkees
You know we love to please
A manufactured image
With no philosophies

We hope you like our story
Although there isn't one
That is to say, there's many
That way there is more fun

You've told us you like action
And games of many kinds
You like to dance, we like to sing
So let's all lose our minds

We know it doesn't matter
'Cause what you came to see
Is what we'd love to give you
And give it 1-2-3

But is may come 3-2-1-2
Or jump from 9 to 5
And when you see an end in sight
The beginning may arrive

For those who look for meaning
In form as they do fact
We might tell you one thing
But we'd only take it back

Not back like in a box back
Not back like in a race
Not back so we can keep it
But back in time and space

You say we're manufactured
To that, we all agree
So make your choice and we'll rejoice
In never being free

Hey, hey, we are the Monkees
We've said it all before
The money's in, we're made of tin
We're here to give you more
The money's in, we're made of tin
We're here to give you--

The song ended abruptly with the sound of a gunshot, and video of the execution of Nguyễn Văn Lém.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/Nguyen.jpg

Written By: Cloudburst on 06/12/07 at 9:07 pm

Ya....unfortunately, when a band starts out with that bubblegum image, it's pretty hard to shake. I guess that Nesmith regretted his Monkees image for a long time.
The Osmonds are a perfect example....kind of like when Hendrix was touring with the Monkees, and got booed offstage by pre-pubescent fans who only wanted to see Davey.
I guess he basically gave the audience the bird and left the stage while the fans, in a complete antithesis of the Ditty Diego War Chant, chanted "We want Davey...We want Davey...We want Davey."

I know that the Monkees did cover some rather dark topics...like Last Train to Clarksville and Pleasant Valley Sunday, which was basically about a mental institution...OH, and referring back to Head, music doesn't get much darker than the live performance of
Circle Sky, with it's power chords and wartime footage....and the girl screaming in the beginning of the song is a tad chilling.

There were successive Monkees compositions, primarily Nesmith ones, that never received any airplay but which are equally dark...namely Auntie's Municipal Court, Tapioca Tundra, and Daily Nightly, which are all fantastic songs.

Even more disturbing, though, was the final album recorded by Jones and Dolenz, Changes, and the fact that the music brass thought it would actually sell.....equally frightening was the fact that the song 99 Pounds was actually deemed good enough to record. SCARY!!!!

Subject: Headquarters/Pisces, Aquarius... Deluxe Edition 2-CD Rereleases

Written By: AH3RD on 07/12/07 at 7:55 pm

GOT 'EM! And enjoying every minute of them!  :D

One thing I noticed about the new DE CDs; even though Disc I of PAC&J has the TV version of "Riu Chiu", I've noticed that other tracks on the disc are also indicatively representative of the series. For instance, the pre-brass mix of "She Hangs Out" replicates the one which appeared in Episode No. 41, "The Card-Carrying Red Shoes." And the pre-Moog mix of "Star Collector" resembles that which was showcased in the very next episode, "The Wild Monkees." Oh, and the mix of "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?" with that extensive fade? Reminiscent of Episode 40, "Monkees Marooned." (Expect updates to my Monkees Film & TV Vault to show up in the coming days; I'm working on them as I speak!  8) )

Of course, I only bought these for the Bonus Selections, as I already have the original Colgems LP pressings of the first 4 albums (in both modes!)! (I only have the stereo mix of Birds & Bees, as the mono edition is extremely rare.  ??? )

Subject: Re: Headquarters/Pisces, Aquarius... Deluxe Edition 2-CD Rereleases

Written By: spaceace on 07/14/07 at 2:00 pm

GOT 'EM! And enjoying every minute of them!  :D

One thing I noticed about the new DE CDs; even though Disc I of PAC&J has the TV version of "Riu Chiu", I've noticed that other tracks on the disc are also indicatively representative of the series. For instance, the pre-brass mix of "She Hangs Out" replicates the one which appeared in Episode No. 41, "The Card-Carrying Red Shoes." And the pre-Moog mix of "Star Collector" resembles that which was showcased in the very next episode, "The Wild Monkees." Oh, and the mix of "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?" with that extensive fade? Reminiscent of Episode 40, "Monkees Marooned." (Expect updates to my Monkees Film & TV Vault to show up in the coming days; I'm working on them as I speak!  8) )

Of course, I only bought these for the Bonus Selections, as I already have the original Colgems LP pressings of the first 4 albums (in both modes!)! (I only have the stereo mix of Birds & Bees, as the mono edition is extremely rare.  ??? )

Figures You'd get them before I do. :P  Did they use your web site for trivia on the season's DVD too?

Written By: volunteer on 07/16/07 at 1:29 am

The Monkeys are still around to make money off their music like every other old 60's icon that can still sing and who are still together.  Look at John Fohgerty!  He's awsome! I paid big bucks to hear his concert $$$$

Written By: Tia on 07/16/07 at 2:01 pm

a friend of mine went to see paul mccartney a few months ago and said she paid more than a hundred bucks for a lame seat.

Written By: spaceace on 07/16/07 at 4:39 pm

a friend of mine went to see paul mccartney a few months ago and said she paid more than a hundred bucks for a lame seat.

Yowee, Sir Paul's getting his pay check!!!!

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/16/07 at 4:39 pm

I don't know how much I paid... but the seats weren't too lame!

Written By: ralfy on 08/16/16 at 11:31 am

"Mike Nesmith to join the Monkees 50th anniversary tour for just one show — Friday in Monterey"

http://www.latimes.com/la-et-ms-nesmith-monkees-50th-tour-20160804-snap-story.html

Check for new replies or respond here...