inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reefer Madness

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/07 at 4:41 am

I just saw the 1936 anti-marijuana propaganda movie Reefer Madness on TCM or AMC or some classic movie channel the other day. It was so completely false and distorted yet so overacted and melodramatic that I couldn't stop laughing. Of all the "unintentionally funny" movies I've ever seen, this by far was the funniest.

Yet I couldn't help but think that, back in the day, people actually believed this sh!t.

Subject: Re: Reefer Madness

Written By: KKay on 01/05/07 at 8:54 am

Seems to me that movie is on all the time.
Do you know, in the 80s when I was in high school, we all heard of it and wanted to watch it, but
no on e could get thier hands on one. Soemone's brother went to the city and picked up a copy somewhere...
That was still going on!  People thought the film would make us wana smoke up; they could have remade the film and make it aobut us trying to watch the film...too funny

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/07 at 3:18 pm

Classic film. Yeah, it is funny. Funnier if you watch it stoned.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 01/05/07 at 7:02 pm

I just saw the 1936 anti-marijuana propaganda movie Reefer Madness on TCM or AMC or some classic movie channel the other day. It was so completely false and distorted yet so overacted and melodramatic that I couldn't stop laughing. Of all the "unintentionally funny" movies I've ever seen, this by far was the funniest.

Yet I couldn't help but think that, back in the day, people actually believed this sh!t.

Al-B, I'm holding the DVD "Refer Madness" as I'm writing this. I purchased it as a joke because I remembered this movie being shown to us in Junior high health class and I just wanted it as a goof because like you said "it's a bunch of crap" 

The movie promotion highlights on the back cover detailing "the evils iof marijuana addiction" of case studies of All American high school kids who went from "tennis playing tea drinkers to hard core dope addicts after sampling one joint". Un-controllable laughter, piano playing and wild dancing is the sure sign of the "Devil Weed' use. One pot user hallucinates and shoots a women then more deaths occur before the inevitable mental institution scenes showing horrors of smoking reefers.

Dated 1938, people must have been much different then the generations after them...me?  I only got munchies! and maybe a laughing jag! That's all!

Written By: hot_wax on 01/05/07 at 7:34 pm

I have another DVD titled "Marihuana, weed with the roots in Hell" dated 1936 says it's a precursor to the cult classic "Reefer Madness". The plots basically the same as "Reefer Madness" but mainly about a girl who turns tricks to feed her pot smoking addition then becomes a dealer turning innocent men into hard drug addicts and it this has some nudity in it.

It such a bunch of crap, but if you want a good laughing jag, like Cat says, watch them stoned!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/06/07 at 12:34 am

Classic film. Yeah, it is funny. Funnier if you watch it stoned.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

I have another DVD titled "Marihuana, weed with the roots in Hell" dated 1936 says it's a precursor to the cult classic "Reefer Madness". The plots basically the same as "Reefer Madness" but mainly about a girl who turns tricks to feed her pot smoking addition then becomes a dealer turning innocent men into hard drug addicts and it this has some nudity in it.

It such a bunch of crap, but if you want a good laughing jag, like Cat says, watch them stoned!
I'd love to, but they piss test me at my job so I can't. Still, I laughed my ass off. So many funny moments. I loved how they showed the "kingpin," who was a bookish type and sitting in an office behind an adding machine, and when he and his henchman tried to get some gangster-looking guy to try and help peddle their evil weed to teenagers, the gangster said something to the effect of, "Hey, I used to make bathtub gin back in the day, but even I  wouldn't sell pot to kids," and then walked out in disgust.
    How dare you two try and talk me into smoking reefer. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I'll bet you're so guilt-ridden right now that you're thinking about jumping out the window of a 10-story building.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/06/07 at 4:12 pm

I just added Reefer Madness to my queue at Netflix. It has been while since I have seen it and Carlos said that he doesn't think he has seen it at all. They also list a DVD (that they don't have yet) which has Reefer Madness, Marihuana and Assassin of Youth-a triple feature.  :o :D :D  I saved it to the queue but who knows when they will get it. I also discovered that in 2005 they created "Reefer Madness: The Musical".  :o :D  Maybe one of these days I will add that one to the queue also.

Of course this is the type of movie you expect to see Mike, Crow, & Tom Servo poking fun at.  ;)

Cat

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/10/07 at 11:25 am

Reefer Madness was total BS in the information it sent out, but the gov't still rambles on with misinformation today. It's hard, I guess, to admit that they have allowed 70 years of propaganda to circulate. Nothing we consume into our bodies is 100% safe, but the DEA makes it seem that pot smoking will drive you insane.( Again, back to Reefer Madness. )  Maybe if you have a preexisting mental condition, or something of that nature, but many people have been toking for years, and until evidence is proven that our mental hospitals are over run by flipped out hippies from the sixties, I can't believe that. They were like the original beta testers for pot. If anybody says that marijuana users go on to harder things,  tell them that they're right, like College, graduate school, etc...

Written By: crazyneighbor on 01/16/07 at 5:59 pm

:DI'm still mad about reefer. LMAO

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/16/07 at 6:13 pm

:DI'm still mad about reefer. LMAO

Yeah, I like to tell my wife that I'm having an affair with mary jane once in a while. It's probably the only affair that I can have without getting killed lol  ;)

Written By: tokjct on 01/17/07 at 10:26 pm

This film has become a "CULT CLASSIC!"

Written By: hot_wax on 01/18/07 at 12:23 am

Yeah, I like to tell my wife that I'm having an affair with mary jane once in a while. It's probably the only affair that I can have without getting killed lol  ;)

Is this the same Mary Jane I know from Jamaica? yeah, it sounds like her, we meet in smokey places for a few minutes, and Poof! she's gone! up and gone in a puff of smoke!!! She'll be back, I know for sure because mutual friend lets me know in advance.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/22/07 at 11:14 pm

I was watching a re-run of "That 70's Show" before and the basic plot was that one of the kids took a bust for someone else's pot and the father in the show gave the kids a lecture on the horrors of smoking marijuana, and as he was lecturing the show went into a mock-up black and white dream sequence of the pot party in Reefer Madness. The kids mimicked the characters in the movie over killing the acting, mocking the horrors of pot smoking and what it was doing to them in the scene. I was rolling over splitting a gut laughing, it was so funny, not just because of the dream sequence itself but how cool the script writers was telling the audience, who knew of movie Reefer Madness, that the movie was a bunch of crap as the father lectured on the horrors of pot smoking

The FX channel always re-run the same show later in the night, here it's on channel 68. Try to watch it's so funny and very close to the real movie scene on Reefer Madness, you'll wet your pants. Right now FX is showing Shallow Hal as I write.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/23/07 at 1:27 am

Is this the same Mary Jane I know from Jamaica? yeah, it sounds like her, we meet in smokey places for a few minutes, and Poof! she's gone! up and gone in a puff of smoke!!! She'll be back, I know for sure because mutual friend lets me know in advance.

Dang right. She also has summer homes in Thailand, Vietnam, Hawaii, Mexico, and a big farm in Amsterdam. Gotta love her. lol

Check for new replies or respond here...