inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Retro Fads And Things

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/11/07 at 4:30 pm

A lot of stuff has come and gone in the past. Mood rings, rotary phones, record players, etc...
What retro thingamabobs do you miss the most? Which ones gave you the most pleasure, and which ones make you glad that they're gone? :)

Subject: Re: Retro Fads And Things

Written By: hot_wax on 01/12/07 at 9:17 pm

A lot of stuff has come and gone in the past. Mood rings, rotary phones, record players, etc...
What retro thingamabobs do you miss the most? Which ones gave you the most pleasure, and which ones make you glad that they're gone? :)

Funny you brought this subject up, I'm in the market to replace my combination turntable and tape player recorder machine, they still can be bought but the prices are sky high. Well, maybe now I'll see if there's a turntable, tapeplayer and CD combination machine is available to convert all my albums and tapes to disc's...sounds cool, and if they do have that machine today, we all know that it will soon be amongst the items your asking about in your post in a short time too, replaced with some other high tech do-dad machine that we must have if we want to hear our music.

I also miss a basic 409 engine in a brand new $3000.00 Chevy Super Sport Impala. 

Written By: KKay on 01/12/07 at 10:25 pm

I miss Ker-plunk and my portable record player.  And Gumby.  And FIDGETS

Written By: hot_wax on 01/12/07 at 11:20 pm

I don't know if I'm reaching and that I miss them, but these where fads and things back in the 50's and 60's:

Wearing metal taps on your shoe heels and the more metal you had the cooler you where.
Rolling up and holding your Lucky Strikes in your rolled t-shirt sleeve.
Using Vasiline and Crisco or Dixie Peach in your hair to keep the D A straight lined. Hense the term Greaser comes from.
Levi dungerees with a rolled up cuff bottom, but only one roll at the bottom was cool.
3 inch thick black Garrison belts with cleats punhed into them.
Engineer boots all year long even in July.
A a fine tooth black nylon comb hanging half out your back dungeree pocket.
Dual muffers on your lowered 50' Mercury.
Continental extentions on the back of your 58 Impala.
Revirberator on your AM car radio making the sound come out sounding like it has an echo.

Poodle skirts for girls
Bobby socks with tennis snearkers worn with peddle pushers pants and a bellie blouse top.
Ballerina slippers, black silk stockings with tight black skirts and Ruffled white blouses with ruffle sleeves...hot.
Foot high rat teased hair sprayed stiff with sugar water.

There's more but I'm waiting for some other relic from the that time zone to add their fads...I'll be back.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/13/07 at 1:11 am

I also miss a basic 409 engine in a brand new $3000.00 Chevy Super Sport Impala. 
You're bumming me out.  :(

By way of comparison, here's a 1965 Impala SS (my personal favorite, and the last year for the 409):

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/featurepics/030123-65ImpalaSS.JPG

And a 2007 Impala SS:

http://www.clarkchevyaberdeen.com/chevrolet_impala_2007_silverstone_metallic.jpg

It's stuff like this that sometimes makes me feel like I was born 30 years too late.  :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/13/07 at 2:00 am

Funny you brought this subject up, I'm in the market to replace my combination turntable and tape player recorder machine, they still can be bought but the prices are sky high. Well, maybe now I'll see if there's a turntable, tapeplayer and CD combination machine is available to convert all my albums and tapes to disc's...sounds cool, and if they do have that machine today, we all know that it will soon be amongst the items your asking about in your post in a short time too, replaced with some other high tech do-dad machine that we must have if we want to hear our music.

A couple of years back, the old Let's Make A Deal was being shown on the Game Show Network. I almost wet myself when I saw the beautiful cars they gave away like old Chevelles, Camaros, Firebirds, etc... and each one was under $5000. The good old days are gone. They took their prices with them.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/13/07 at 2:48 pm

I don't want to stray too far off-topic here, but I have a story which is somewhat related and actually quite funny.

Last March, a friend of mine from work (who is about the same age as me) and I went to the Greater Kansas City International Auto Show. Being a car buff for as long as I can remember, I was quite thrilled about seeing the latest models and concepts (including the new Camaro, if you haven't seen it yet check it out, it's awesome). It was really a neat deal, and there were dealer representatives and a few executives from the factories who were there to answer any questions (and most of whom seemed to enjoy just shooting the breeze about cars in general).

I got behind the wheel of quite a few cars, somewhat to the annoyment of my friend. It was almost as if I was a kid in a toy store and he was like my dad, thinking, "Come on, let's go already..."

When we got to the Chrysler display I climbed into a new 300C. (I like these cars a lot, since I've always been fond of big RWD V-8 powered American cars.) As I was sitting behind the wheel, and my friend was standing outside, a corporate type from DaimlerChrysler (who was wearing a suit and tie and looked to be in his 60's) walked up and asked me what I thought. I replied, "I like it, the dashboard reminds me of something out of an old 60's car." He then turned to my friend, who happens to be as big of a smartass as me (and a little more boorish) and asked him what he thought. My friend just looked at him and said, "Man, when are you gonna start building cars with tailfins again? I want a car with tailfins."

The old guy from Chrysler didn't know what to think. What made it even funnier was that my friend was dead serious, and it was all I could do to keep from bursting into laughter.

And the best part is, he's right.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/13/07 at 3:07 pm

You're bumming me out.  :(

By way of comparison, here's a 1965 Impala SS (my personal favorite, and the last year for the 409):

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/featurepics/030123-65ImpalaSS.JPG

And a 2007 Impala SS:

http://www.clarkchevyaberdeen.com/chevrolet_impala_2007_silverstone_metallic.jpg

It's stuff like this that sometimes makes me feel like I was born 30 years too late.  :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

That's a beautiful picture. 4 on the floor and a 409 were made for each other. My wife's cousin from Rochester NY bought a new 65' 409 Chevy Super Sport, 2 door white with black interior. He drove it down here to Jersey and let drive it...WOW! what a car!  I cruised the car hops on Rt. 22 showing his car off, we got a lot of offers to race it but more offers from the ladies wanting a ride, bummer on both requests, NY car plates in Jersey caught drag racing is jail time, and I couldn't cheat on my wife to be with her cousin sitting there next to me in his car, but he did ok for himself.

Adding items to your post, I miss those Car Hops and roller skating waitress's, 15 cent hambugers and fries, 25 cent malts and ice cream sodas...I can go on an on. Oh! how I miss those days, why did do you torture me like this!!!?

Written By: oneno on 01/22/07 at 1:58 pm

I miss the local tv cartoon shows! We had capn' Ernies Showboat
http://www.captainerniesshowboat.com/
and the local horror shows
http://www.houseofjitters.com/acri.htm

zomboo's House of Horror Movies isn't bad but too much sex.

Written By: gemini on 01/30/07 at 7:47 am

I miss my yellow Toot-A-Loop Radio from the 70s, Chocola, little bottles of Coke, and my worn out jeans with the fabric added on the bottom, and tons of other stuff, but it would take too long to list everything. 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/07 at 3:59 pm

Lava lamps, my son actually wanted(and got) one for Christmas last year.  I will take that Impala while I'm at it.  Remember when you could tell one car from another?

Written By: hot_wax on 01/30/07 at 8:58 pm

Lava lamps, my son actually wanted(and got) one for Christmas last year.  I will take that Impala while I'm at it.  Remember when you could tell one car from another?

You're are right about it's hard to tell one car from another today, and know what else bothers me about today is that "Big Brother" government involvement with personal life telling us what's good for us and that's how it will be no if's and's or but's or you'll be punished. I can't ride my 10 speed bike anymore without a helmet, me, who in the 60's rode motor cycles without a helmet will now get ticketed for riding a bicycle without one...yes "it's for my own good" but let me decide if I want to wear one, and that go's for a lot of other butinski intrusions on my personal life.

Now, that's a by gone of the past that I miss.

Written By: Beautiful50yyearoldlady! on 02/27/07 at 12:38 am

Hey will somebody be gracious enough to send me lyrics of "No other love" the 1950 hit sang by Jo Stafford and written by Paul Weston? thank.... its my grandma's favorite, my favorite too infact this is the theme I had with my firstlove  :(  not my beloved husband who I had a different theme love song wiith :)
okay take care all of you please take care!

Written By: karen on 02/27/07 at 5:51 am

Hey will somebody be gracious enough to send me lyrics of "No other love" the 1950 hit sang by Jo Stafford and written by Paul Weston? thank.... its my grandma's favorite, my favorite too infact this is the theme I had with my firstlove  :(   not my beloved husband who I had a different theme love song wiith :)
okay take care all of you please take care!

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jo+stafford/no+other+love_20285065.html

Written By: sherry339 on 04/04/07 at 3:46 pm

I don't know if I'm reaching and that I miss them, but these where fads and things back in the 50's and 60's:

Wearing metal taps on your shoe heels and the more metal you had the cooler you where.
Rolling up and holding your Lucky Strikes in your rolled t-shirt sleeve.
Using Vasiline and Crisco or Dixie Peach in your hair to keep the D A straight lined. Hense the term Greaser comes from.
Levi dungerees with a rolled up cuff bottom, but only one roll at the bottom was cool.
3 inch thick black Garrison belts with cleats punhed into them.
Engineer boots all year long even in July.
A a fine tooth black nylon comb hanging half out your back dungeree pocket.
Dual muffers on your lowered 50' Mercury.
Continental extentions on the back of your 58 Impala.
Revirberator on your AM car radio making the sound come out sounding like it has an echo.

Poodle skirts for girls
Bobby socks with tennis snearkers worn with peddle pushers pants and a bellie blouse top.
Ballerina slippers, black silk stockings with tight black skirts and Ruffled white blouses with ruffle sleeves...hot.
Foot high rat teased hair sprayed stiff with sugar water.

There's more but I'm waiting for some other relic from the that time zone to add their fads...I'll be back.

SURF RACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Even if you never went surfing or didn't even have a surf board, you HAD to have surf racks on your car...

;D ;D :D ;D :D :D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...